Start by marking “NINE - Curse of the Kalingan” as Want to Read:
NINE - Curse of the Kalingan

NINE - Curse of the Kalingan

(NINE Trilogy #1)

For thousands of years, the wisdom of the NINE has protected mankind from destroying itself. But a vengeful ancient spirit has returned to shatter the peace. With the help of magical powers, he has possessed a young man and mobilised black yogis to destroy the NINE. Plucked from their ordinary lives, empowered with special abilities, Tara, Akash and Zubin are swept into an ...more
Published June 15th 2013 by Penguin Metro Reads (first published June 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about NINE - Curse of the Kalingan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NINE - Curse of the Kalingan

Start your review of NINE - Curse of the Kalingan
Vishnu Chevli
During our author interaction week, I got a chance to interview Shobha Nihlani. Though during that time she didn't have any recent book release, she participated in the event looking at our enthusiasm. She also rewarded us with a complete set of "Nine" trilogy. A series which was part of our wishlist for more than two years. I would like to apologize to Shobha for delaying review of this wonderful book series.

The trilogy is based on mytho-historical fiction about Nine treasured knowledgeable sci
Priyanka Vaswani
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wonder why I kept delaying reading this book for quite some time now, making it seem like one of the books that I bought just for the cover. Turns out my erroneous judgement by the cover went boom boom doom doom. Nine: Curse of the Kalingan is a gripping spiritual cum mythological fantasy ride that will never lose the grip on the reader. Researched in depth, solid characterization and wide plot that works better for books in series. My favourite character out of all was Vayu, even though he pl ...more
Hafiza Mudassar
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, review-copy
When I glanced at the publisher of this book, I was taken aback. Penguin under their Metro reads imprint have always gone for the usual love stories, fast-paced youth-based kind of titles, but NINE: Curse of the Kalingan written by the pretty Shobha Nihalini was indeed a welcome change considering the kind of books they have been coming out with since the past few years. I had stopped reading any Penguin Metro Reads books and this one came along in my hand. I took this up with some scepticism bu ...more
Fran
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Curse of the Kalingan: Shobha Nihalani

The desire to live and not die will cost one young man more than what he would ever expect. One battle between the Kalings and the Mauryan Emperor, Ashoka, would forever change things. Some would regal in the end result. Many dead bodies strewn and many corpses to bury. But, Ashoka was devastated and pledged to never seek, start or wage a war again. But, there are those that would disagree and to make sure that no one else could break what he promised or vow
Shrikanth Venne
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indian-books
This book is about nine people who are the secret keepers of the great emperor Ashoka. This book starts with the attack on the 3 people from the nine by the kalingan spirit in the face of vayu. As the nine loose 3 of them they recruit 3 people in place of them. These 3 are akash, zubin and tara. The kalingan spirit in human face Vayu also kills the secret keeper dr harvar which is again passed on to lise a drug addict and recovering in a rehabilitation centre. Lise is given the location of the c ...more
Suhasini Mohanrao
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book starts with a curse that a dying warrior of the Kalingan clan lays on Ashoka and his followers. The warrior comes back in the form of an evil spirit possessing a young man, Vayu whose power is limitless. The sole purpose of this man and his kala yogis team is to destroy the NINE, a secret society formed by Ashoka to spread knowledge and peace.
That was the plot but what impressed me were the way the writer has mingled interesting philosophy with myth and fantasy. The trinity: Akash, Zubi
Somya Sharma
Well I am not too sure if I would recommend this book to anyone...but then I was looking for a book similar to Chanakya's chant/Krishna key/ Shiva trilogy and thats what I exactly got. While the entire idea was interesting but it just didn't come together and the climax was a disappointment.
Roma
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Title: Nine, Curse of the Kalingan

Author: Shobha Nihalani

Length: 377 pages

Publisher: Penguin India

Genre: Fiction, Historical fiction, Thriller

My rating: 4/5

Summary:

The story is about Tara, Zubin and Aakash who are inducted into the team of Nine – A secret society that was initiated by King Ashoka in India who have abundant knowledge. The story is also about Vayu who is possessed by the spirit of Kalingan Warrior, Kalinga the place destroyed by King Ashoka and which changed him and he adopted Bud
Karthik Kailash
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The fabled 9 of Ashoka is under threat an the spirit of a Kalingan, stronger than ever and seeking revenge, aims to acquire the knowledge and take over the world. They slay a few and aim to takeover, when the realize that the 9 have a few tricks up their sleeve and wor ld domination ain't a tame affair.

Part one is good, looking forward to the next.
Tara Sharma
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I don't remember the last time I read a book that to ally blew me off! Hats off to the writer's imagination and creativity to have dug up a co-existing world right underneath our noses and to have served it in just the perfect manner to us, the readers!
'Nine' is a mysterious tale of a hidden society found by an ancient Indian king that since then has been thriving in the middle of civilization, helping humanity to survive and prosper. The society is run by nine protectors/ knowledge folks and is
Kashish Khan
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
NINE by Shobha NIhalini was a refreshing change form the books I have been reading recently! The best stuff about this book is it's everything a philosophy admirer will seek in a story. Sometimes I thought (mid-way while reading it) that this book would have been better off as a core philosophical yip yap but when I reached the last remaining 20-30% odd portion of the story, I could tell what the writer had done.
Nine: Curse of the Kalingan isn't an easy read, I believe, it's jagged in a good man
Vamsi
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NINE: Curse of the kalingan: Spirits, ghosts, angels ,care taking souls all these words may seem to be surreal. But they all make sense in the awe-inspiring novel by shobha nihalani.
It's when the kalingan warrior's spirit comes to life through a body of martial art's teacher yuva to fight against the secret council of nine( Navarathnas), who are the nine most powerful, knowledgeable people.
Tara,Akash,Zubin are the chosen ones to fight the evil. A tough battle between the good and evil.
Overa
Dhriti Verma
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, enjoyed
I want to say so much about this book but I won't cause I believe good things are best experienced alone. I am a major fantasy fan and it was such a delight to have picked up this book! 'Nine' by Shobha Nihalani is not just the usual run off the mill 'good guy beats bad guy' kind of fantasy but a lot more deeper than that.
The story is littered with gems of wisdom all across the pages. Great research seems to have gone into this project of the writer. I enjoyed the book and finished it one sittin
Sriharsha Palanki
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The book is well written. The 2 stars are for the narration of the story which I really liked. There is a reason why only some can be authors, the description of the scenes and the narrative keeps you going and paints a beautiful image in your head. You might think it's the power of YOUR imagination, but NO, it's the author's ability to create the story such that your head can comprehend all the elements around the scene and imagine the picture. That was the good part.

But the novel is merely a r
Mukundan Srinivasan
Everything happened in this story is just "suddenness"
Varsha
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shobha Nihalani’s Curse of the Kalingan- NINE is a fantasy thriller which churns up an astonishing tale from the depths of ancient times. The novel is a mix of fact and fiction with an imaginary plot, while its foundation is based in historical fact. Nihalani has named the book after the legend of 'The Nine Unknown Men,' which is also the inspiration for the story. In the 3rd century BCE, this secret society was founded by King Ashoka. It is often cited as one of the oldest secret societies in t ...more
Arnab Pal
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
It has been a couple of months since I have read a book. Last week I had about ten days of free time so I thought, hey, lets read something. Well, eventually I ended up reading this Nine Trilogy.
I like this new genre Amish has created. But, yeah, sometimes it does feel a bit congested. So many ‘authors’ now-a-days, writing so many ‘bestselling’ novels, plenty of those based on the genre that Amish has created.
But, since, I am always a thriller-lover and a ‘fan’ of Ashoka (duh! Who isn’t?), I de
Vinod
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, conspiracy
Great premise but messed up plot.
VaultOfBooks
Oct 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
The best historical fantasy fictions are the ones with an imaginative story woven around facts tightly. And that’s something Shobha Nihalani has got right. Facts are well researched, the writing is tight and the characters are engaging.

We have now reached the end of the rosy section of the review.

A few years ago, Amish Tripathi started an unfortunate new rage. Historical-slash-mythological fiction picked up pace and there was a giant dump in India. They left skid marks all over the publishing ho
Ravindra Nallam
Overall a good read, enjoyed reading the book till the last page. The Characterization is interesting and it kept the story unfolding one thing at a time,that kept the plot moving.

Climax is bit disappointing, the Canvas is set in a grand way at Angkor-wat. The Antagonist getting killed with a single bullet shot kept the things quit simple. If the climax is narrate with a better and interesting plot it will be great.

My favorite Character is Lise (The Knowledge Keeper). I love the Conversation t
Laura Besley
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
As published in Time Out Hong Kong, issue 143 (Nov 6-19, 2013)

Book one in Shobha Nihalani's newest series takes place in both the past and the present. Set in several countries and told through multiple characters' points of view, this is ultimately a book about an ancient curse and how three people try to stop it. A good read for those who enjoy adventure stories with elements of history, geography and human nature woven in. Nihalani is a Hong Kong-based author and has previously published two
Meghant Parmar
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's brutal, it's gory, it's thrilling, it's furious.

The book has a lot to offer in terms of plot and the intensity of it. Right from the word go till the very end high octane drama can be experienced by the readers.

A perfect antagonist blended with mystical forces and a glorious past it makes heads turn all the time.

Narration is fluid and pace keeps getting furious all the time.

The events from the past till the present have been connected well and the present day events will make the story
Vinay Leo
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins by setting the “setting” with history, thankfully. It then delves into character development, while keeping the pace engaging enough for it to be called a thriller. There is even a touch of humor at times that I found to be refreshing. The flipside might be that it kind of rushes through at the end. Is this book worth reading? Yes it is. It has the making of a good thriller.. 3.5 stars.
Aravind
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Another book about the millennia old secret society, the Nine, supposedly founded by Emperor Ashoka. It has the usual mix of myths, superhuman powers, exotic locations, powerful artefacts, and a bunch of good and bad guys fighting for their ideals...
In spite of having the right ingredients, the writing did not grip me, I wonder why! As I already have bought the sequel to this one, I hope that it is better than Book#1.
Disha
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the way NINE: Curse of the Kalingan by Shoba Nihalini is narrated. The action just doesn't seem to stop. The trio of Akash, Zubin and Tara and their face-off with the reborn evil spirit, Vayu forms the backbone of the story. It is about standing for one's rights, whether you are right or wrong does not matter and somewhere I believe the writer wants to justify the same through her narrative. A good one-time read!
Subham Chanda
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
done with this book. I really wanted to like this book.. and i am liking it.
The book end with so much action and drama. It is good sign that Indian Author are coming with such thrilling story and use there own history. I am confused should I call it historical fiction or sci fic.
believe me it is unputdownable book.Just love this book. Waiting for its next part.
Asha Gopalakrishnan
Feb 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Indeed, mytho-fiction is the in thing these days, and the good news is you get to see some really good writing (think Ashok Banker, Krishna Udayasankar, Anand Neelakantan (mostly), Amish Tripathi etc). Then you have books like these, which have no plot worth writing home about, flaky research, and a very CB-like writing style. This book is very avoidable - I'm not reading book 2 and 3 - no way.
Vikas Datta
A little flaw in the premise - why did the spirit wait so long to take revenge is never adequately explained - and consequently the backstory but otherwise quite a satisfactory read/ Looking forward to catch the next installment
Abhinav Gupta
Jan 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
awesome read. hats off to shobha for an excellent job in reviving an old Indian legend about the great king ashoka and his most secret think tank known as the nine. spine chilling thriller. a must read for every thriller lover out there
Harish
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Its one of the finest piece of master piece i have come across, eagerly waiting for part 2 of this book

• Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • The Vault of Vishnu
  • Triple Daddies (Her Daddies, #2)
  • Double Daddies (Her Daddies, #1)
  • Bossed Three Times (Three Times, #1)
  • Paid for Three Times (Three Times, #3)
  • Taken Three Times (Three Times, #2)
  • Everyone Has A Story
  • Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata
  • Daddy's Pretty Baby
  • Seven Brothers of Sin
  • Sold at the Auction (The Billionaires Club, #1)
  • Beg Me
  • All the Best Men
  • The Dirty Headmaster
  • Falling for the Babysitter
  • The Wicked Virgin

NINE Trilogy (3 books)
  • Nine:Vengeance of the Warrior (Book #2)
  • Nine Book Three: The Rise of the Kalingan