Start by marking “Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats (Gaspar the Thief, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats (Gaspar the Thief, #0.5)

Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats

(Gaspar the Thief 0.5)

From Amazon.com:

Life isn't easy in a cut-throat city ruled by guilds, especially for a freelance thief who refuses to swear fealty to the local thieves' guild.

Beset by thieves and threatened by assassins, Gaspar is forced into a madcap hunt for a magical artefact. Confronted by danger at every turn, he and his friend, Hubris the Spellbroker, become entangled in a bizarre w
Published February 24th 2013 by Balmerino Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaspar And The Fantastical Hats

Barbara Ann
Oct 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This fantasy novella just short of one hundred pages is set in medieval times amidst dark alleys, cobblestone streets, a wizard’s den and raucous taverns. Gaspar has just spent the night at one of his favorite haunts, The Bag O’Silver Inn where he could pick up gossip on who to target and who was after him. Shortly after, two assassins named Sloat and Weasel confront him in a dark alleyway. An unknown intruder saves his life.

The Council of Guild Masters run the city. These guilds are arranged in
Caro
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-2013
Just found out there's a prequel to Gaspar The Thief ~

Instabuy.

Now that I've read this prequel to the fantastic Short-Story Novel Gaspar the Thief, I am once again reminded why I like the author's style so much.
Lindsay writes a gripping tale of intrigue and never cuts back on the humor.

Gaspar and the Fantastical Hats puts Gaspar in a bad position: Being a freelance thief who refuses to swear fealty to the Thieves' Guild, he thought he couldn't be bullied into accepting jobs that easily. Wrong.
P.S. Winn
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this book interesting and think it will appeal to young adults and adults as well. I liked the story and the suspense as readers follow Gaspar's quest. Although short, this felt like a longer read and the author put a lot inside of this tale. I think the longer novel that goes along with this series is going to be even better and can't wait to see what happens to Gaspar.
Robert L Birch
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting ideas

Liked the city concept but even for a novella it needed more. Maybe a longer version would keep my attention.
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-free
leaves woman "thief" unresolved. rather blah. 2.5*
W.J. Lennox
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a prequel fantasy novella to Gaspar the Thief, which introduces the protagonist Gaspar, a freelance thief, who is blackmailed into procuring a magical artefact for an anonymous merchant’s wife to wear as a magnificent hat to the Autumn Ball. In order to avoid an untimely death by assassins Stoat and Weasel, Gaspar is forced to steal a magical artefact from the Wizard’s Hall with the help of his reluctant friend, Hubris the spellbroker.

Lindsay has taken the historical theme of the Mediev
Maria Kay
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As the prequel to Gaspar the Thief, this novella is an entertaining read. It is definitely an adventure with subtle details that tie-up nicely by the end. I love a clever plot like David Lindsay has written. Kudos David!

This fantastic fantasy is like watching Doctor Who while playing Dungeons and Dragons. It's fun! The author has quite a sense of humor and a wonderful way of constructing complex sentences that gives the cadence of the book a fast-paced energy.

"Who would have thought that fashio
Kythe42
Gaspar and the Fantastical Hats by David A. Lindsay is a short story prequel to Gaspar the Thief. I enjoyed the book for the most part. It was quite amusing in the typical British humor sort of way and the setting reminded me a lot of Terry Pratchett's Discworld(perhaps a little too much).

There were just a couple of things that irked me a bit. One was the lack of any chapters(the one thing that bugs me about most of Terry Pratchett's books). I suppose a short story that's only around 100 pages m
D.S. Nelson
This is the prequel novelette to Gaspar The Thief and was a fun, quick and entertaining read. The writing and use of language is excellent.

As a lover of Terry Pratchett's discworld books, in particular those involving Vimes and the Ankh Morpork city watch, I do feel it was a little bit too close to Pratchett's world. This left me with a nagging feeling that this was fan fiction rather than an original story.

The suspense built up really nicely in the middle and I found myself looking forward to
Lindsay
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaspar and the Fantastical Hats is a novella and prequel to Gaspar the Thief.

Gaspar is a thief not attached to the local Thieves Guild, who is approached by a local Guild Masters Secretary to 'assist' in a matter of great importance...... To find the Guild Masters wife a magical item for the upcoming ball, for a hat, the current trend! Or the Assasins Guild will pay a visit!

Gaspar and his friend Hubris (who has also been dragged in by another Guild Master to do the same) set off to find the sp
M.L. Chesley
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was quite a fun read. Lots of twists and turns in such a short tale. All in the name of fashion! Gaspar seems like a fun character and I can't wait to read 'Gaspar the Thief', eventually. He seems to have lots of courage where his friend, Hubris, doesn't.
This story was a fun, fast read. Very well paced, not too slow, not too fast. You weren't overwhelmed with too much information at once. I honestly didn't know what to expect, as I have never read anything from this author before. But I ha
Kathryn West
Aug 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this via Amazon and it was FREE! It was promoted to me as a suggestion but the front cover and title grabbed my attention enough for me to request it, plus did I mention it was FREE?! I am glad that I did! I am aware that some have derided this as being a Pratchett rip-off. I have read everything the the illustrious Sir TP has written and I disagree.Yes there are some similarities but that is like saying every book with elves in it is a Tolkien rip off. I would suggest that the author ...more
Andrew Cormier
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this novel. The details were all in place and the descriptions, dialogue, and characters were very well crafted. I appreciate and respect how the author was able to put a lot of descriptions into his people, places, and things without detracting from the story. I know from personal experience that doing so can be a challenge. Many other writers try to add details in the wrong places and they bog down the narrative or confuse the reader. I am happy to say this wasn't the case wit ...more
Claire
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was looking forward to reading this prequel to Gaspar The Thief and was not disappointed. Shorter and more lighthearted than the main novel I found it hard to put down as I followed Gaspar on his adventures. Nothing is ever quite what is seems with lots of twists and turns along the way which keeps you guessing! A fun magical story that maintained a comic undertone throughout, I love the banter and teasing between Gaspar and Hubris, even amidst apparent life threatening danger! I would definit ...more
Kara Skye
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This imaginative tale is a great choice for readers who like a literary classic with adventure. David A. Lindsay is able to recreate the kind of literature depicted in the writing of Lewis Carroll or Jane Austen, but in the fantasy genre, reminiscent of the Harry Potter series. I recommend it to fans of all the aforementioned and sci-fi readers, too.
Kristi
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
I picked up this novella because it had been compared to the writing style of Terry Pratchett. I was not disappointed! Quirky and funny, I became immediately engaged with the story and the characters. My only complaint (if you could call it that) is that the novella ended far too soon! I'll be looking up other books by this author.
Dutch
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. It felt like a light version of The Lies of Locke Lamora - without the rich descriptions of the city and denizens but with the same humor and likeable characters.

This book is a novella that serves as a prequel to Gaspar the Thief and was free. I enjoyed this book enough to buy Gaspar the Thief and am currently enjoying that book.
J.
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A clever and involved novella. If this was intended merely as an introduction for the author's world and writing, then it goes far beyond the usual freebie prologue or self-serving short story. I enjoyed this immensely. Thanks, Mr. Lindsay!
Ray Daley
Bit of a Terry Pratchett wanna-be, needs to be proofed to have MUCH shorter paragraphs which are almost an entire Kindle page long in places at the start.

Story & characters are good, flows well, ending needs some work though.
Saurabh Singal
Mar 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting story interjected with sensible humour. Good read
Tinamarie Chappelear
Witty and intriguing novella prequel. Now I need to read the full-length Gaspar the Thief!
Vykki
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: good-read
This was a pretty good fantasy. I enjoyed the twists and turns and the characters.
Nigel
Nov 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Entertaining enough for a 0.5 type work. It set the scene for the full Gaspar story I imagine. I found it well enough written and I'd probably read the actual story sometime.
Margo
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was OK. I had the feeling the author was striving for Terry Pratchett, but it wasn't quite in THAT league.
Dlytle
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Free Kindle book. Premise is a controlled environment where all "trades" including wizards assassins and thieves are registered and controlled by guilds. Prequel to a novel.
Claudia
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute and clever (sometimes hilarious!) prequel to a novel that I will have to look into! Fun, likable characters.
Emily
Feb 27, 2015
Koori no hi
Feb 03, 2015
Jennafer Humphreys
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Sci-Fi/...: Free Fantasy Today 1 9 Jul 30, 2017 04:28AM
*~Can't Stop Read...: Humorous Fantasy For Pratchett Fans 1 8 Aug 05, 2013 08:48AM
Born and brought up in Dundee, Scotland, David A. Lindsay now lives with his wife near St Andrews in Fife. Gaspar The Thief, a humorous fantasy adventure, is his first novel.

Gaspar The Thief is a featured 'Noteworthy Release' for the week commencing 3 June 2012 at http://noteworthyreleasesdsbooks.blog....

Visit David's website at http://www.highland.co.uk.

Gaspar the Thief (2 books)
  • Gaspar The Thief (Gaspar the Thief, #1)