Start by marking “Over the Top with Jim” as Want to Read:
Over the Top with Jim

Over the Top with Jim

"You couldn't get much further away from international politics than to be a child in Brisbane in 1951 but, although I was only nine years old, I knew enough to know that you just don't get Russians called James".
And so it is that Hugh Lunn, already instilled with fear and loathing of the Black and Yellow Terrors, finds himself face to face with the Red Terror, in the form
Published November 1st 1989 by ISBS

To ask other readers questions about Over the Top with Jim, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Top with Jim

Kelv
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Hugh Lunn's childhood was anything but spectacular, he had an average childhood in an average family living in an average middle class city. So it begs the question, what is the relevance of Hugh's memoir?
Anyone can write a memoir and if you are average, which Hugh is, you would not get an audience in comparison to a memoir of downbeat or successful childhood. However, Hugh's memoir is important, it is a snapshot of a time and a place which is a bigger story than Hugh's childhood.

This book giv
Jen Roe
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a fantastic book
Olivia
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am certain this book will appeal for generations of new Australians who wonder about the time before they arrived here. NOT ancient times. The more modern underpinnings of the properous post-war White Australia. Which of course, to the working people born and bred or 2nd generation in Australia was simply, their everyday life as it was lived and worked.
I read this book when I was first getting to know some settled, upwardly mobile, 5th generation Australians.
As I read the two books as they we
Geoffrey
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Describes well the life at the time in a very amusing set of anecdotes
Maggie
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical
This was a thoroughly enjoyable read. Lunn has an easy affable style and uses words in the most succinct sense, without extraneous embellishment (the journalist shining through). It is as though the reader is sitting down at the kitchen table with him over a cuppa while he recalls yarns from yesteryear. I certainly related well to this story, even though I grew up on a farm in an isolated area of Victoria and always treated “townies” as aliens in my world. I think it is the fact that I am of a s ...more
bookczuk
Mar 23, 2010 added it
Recommended to bookczuk by: skyring
A RABCK from Skyring.

Gives heartwarming new meaning, with an Aussie accent. Reading about his early days in the convent school, could have almost been set in the US during that time. Easy to see Wally and The Beaver in situations like this (if they had been Australian and named Jackie, gone to Catholic School, and not been squeaky clean characters on the very American TV Show Leave it to Beaver). On second thought, it's perhaps more like Bill Bryson and his The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt
Kate
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Can't say I loved this book, wouldn't have bothered with it only a dear friend asked me to read it. I think it would more appeal to someone from the same era as I couldn't relate to a lot of what he was talking about. I found I wanted to skip pages and chapters although I didn't and found the structure of his writing too wordy. As for jim, he's not the most regular character in the book which I found annoying given the title. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for this book as I love reading about peo ...more
Alan
Oct 28, 2016 rated it liked it
A charming window into a bygone era, "Over the Top with Jim" describes growing up in Brisbane during the 1940/50s. Hugh Lunn was a white suburban Catholic boy who struggled at school, served customers in his parents' bakery, and grew to become best friends with Jim, an immigrant Russian boy. If you lived through the 1950s, went to a Catholic school, or just want to spend time in a more innocent age, this book is for you.
Kristine
This is a delightful selection of interlinked short stories, about an Australian childhood and growing up, that are very much part of their era in both language and values. A fun read, but probably have more resonance for Australians of a certain age.
David Finch-Quadrio
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hilarious memoir of a guy growing up in Brisbane, Australia in the 1940's and 1950's.
Rohan B
May 13, 2012
Janine
Feb 08, 2011
Sapphira Bogdana
rated it did not like it
Aug 27, 2014