Start by marking “The Truth About Riley” as Want to Read:
The Truth About Riley

The Truth About Riley

Riley Aylworth’s life has been completely devoid of intimate contact since a fire three years ago left him with horrific facial scarring, so when he finds an ad for a phone sex service, he decides to give it a call. Except that the number is not a phone sex service—it’s the revenge Cameron Kirkwood’s ex-boyfriend took on the uptight advertising executive after Cam forgot t ...more
Published July 10th 2013 by Bottom Drawer Publications (first published July 9th 2013)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Wow, I think I loved this book more than most. It was so incredibly romantic that I got chills while reading it towards the end. My first book by this author and I'm beyond impressed!

At first I didn't know exactly what to make of this book. The number of times that these characters run into each other in a city as large as New York is unfathomable. However, all of the sudden while I was reading, it hit me: This is the phone, M/M version of "You've got mail". Once I viewed this book as kind of li
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Anke and I are going to buddy read this one. ( her with an ebook and I'm going to read *gasp* the paperback)
Anyone who would like to join us is more than welcome. :)
Ok, we have a whole gang reading this one..just come over and join in. Here's the link to the BR thread.

I very much enjoyed this author's Inspiration so when I met her at the UKMeet and saw she had a new story out I actually bought the paperback. *cue feeling nostalgic*

I really enjoyed this s
Susan
This book has been on my favorites shelves for years. I've read it too many times to count. But for some reason I didn't enjoy it as much this time around. Could be I've read it too often?

------------------------

This was simply beautiful.

description

I love it when my books have more character than plot. Make the characters interesting enough and I want to crawl inside and live in it.

Riley is so lonely he calls the number of an ad for phone sex. Cameron is the one who answers, but it turns out his number wa
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
reRead May/2014

GOD I love Riley and Cam.

Sigh

DID YOU HEAR ME??????

5 OMG I WANT TO CRAWL INSIDE THIS BOOK AND NEVER EVER EVER LEAVE IT STARS

THIS BOOK MADE ME..... IT MADE ME FEEL SOO MUCH! FEEL SOO MUCH FEELINGS... I FELT EVERYTHING.

EVERY.SINGLE.SOLITARY.FEELING.

Riley is scarred, damaged, burnt, scared, alone. So when he finds a # for a sex line he calls and what he gets is way more than he could have ever imagined.

description

Cam is alone, a workaholic, funny, charismatic

The chance en
Arthur
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok

Riley has a scar on his face. When he calls the number on a phone-sex ad, it turns out it belongs to Cameron, whose ex-boyfriend put in the ad as a revenge over their breakup. Soon, they start to talk everyday and have phone sex. They keep their identity secret, especially Riley who keeps declining to even give his last name. He is afraid that Cameron will leave him if he learns how Riley looks.

Meanwhile, Cameron is also attracted to a hot blond guy with scar he sees in coffee shop. Wh
Sheziss

I had problems getting into this book because I couldn’t stop my mind from wandering. Maybe it’s because the dynamics of the love story were slow in the beginning. So I needed to read more till I could really feel the story. I like the premise pretty much. And it’s funny because it reminded me of

But of course, there is a man in flesh at the other end, so, no worries ;) .

This book is different in a way. The MC don’t meet each other till the very end. And you could think…

Or maybe you wonder “What
Elsa Bravante
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sin duda, uno de los libros más románticos que he leído. La premisa de una pareja que primero se conoce por teléfono y donde uno tiene serios problemas de seguridad en sí mismo por la apariencia, prometía mucho, y todo lo que fue prometido es lo que el libro ofreció. Mucho romanticismo, mucha conversación, mucho suspiro.

La autora hace que la relación evolucione hasta su punto culminante de la mejor manera posible, con mucha emoción. Pero, algo falla, el libro necesita un editado, le sobran pági
Truuss
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2016
The Truth about Riley by Henrietta Clarke
Wow impressive story...it made me laugh and cry it had everything.
Two standing characters that's what this story us about.
The interactions between Riley and Cameron.

The first time Cameron hears Riley's voice he is very annoyed because this is his fortieth phone call from a guy who wants phonesex...wrong number off course. Cameron's ex final action.
Cameron is rude and shouts and disconnect the call. He doesn't know it took Riley a while to finally make the
Bitchie
Maybe this book went on a bit too long, and it drew out the frustration with Riley near the breaking point, as other readers have suggested, but I guess I'm a sucker, because I adored nearly every word.

This is a true SLOW burn romance, and had I known that "the end" wasn't going to be the end, but really, the beginning of a story to be continued next year, I probably wouldn't have read it yet, but I am so glad I didn't know that. This book pulled me in in a way that no book has in a while.

Riley
MaDoReader
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Me ha gustado mucho^^

No pensé que iba a resultar una lectura tan bonita, la parte central del libro es tediosa (claramente necesita algo de edición) y me hizo replantearme si continuar o no. Visto lo visto, mereció la pena!!!!!

Leedlo, es romántico hasta decir basta y aunque parece que va a ser un cliché detrás de otro, para nada, la autora se la juega y gana, resuelve el puzzle de forma fantástica.

Cam y Riley son AMORRRRRRRRRRR
Rachel
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This was a pleasant surprise. A surprise because when I picked this up, I didn’t expect it to be anything more than a three star afternoon filler. But don’t the best surprises arise like the best relationships - when they are unexpected. The premise may sound a bit clichéd and reminiscent of sappy flicks like You‘ve Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle: A once handsome man is scarred in a fire and loses not only his looks, but his confidence in entering relationships. Through, an admittedly, relati ...more
Tami
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a rather disappointing read. It started out quite nicely but didn't really make it to a realistic romance. It was part sappy fairy tale and part boring dialogue.

I appreciate that the author tried to show and not only tell how the MCs fell in love over their phone conversations. But the dialogues were just not that good. Riley came across as obsessed with his looks - which didn't make him more fascinating, but left me at a loss. Yes, I can imagine that what happened to him and his encoun
Heller
This was a nice story about two men falling for each other and although I enjoyed it and will read the next in the series I found this a hard book to finish at times and had to push myself to complete it. There's a very slow build up and lots of Riley's backstory isn't addressed, I'm assuming that will be fleshed out in book 2.

Riley has a lot of issues due to his scars but it took a really long time for him to trust Cameron and I found that frustrating to the point of almost DNFing the read. I'
Macky
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Macky by: Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.75* Buddy read with my awesome GR friends July 2013

I'm a bit on the fence with this book. I can't deny I enjoyed it, it was very endearing but I did get a little bored at the beginning when the two of them are constantly on the phone. I know ... I know, that's the whole idea and its a great idea but for me it just dragged itself out a little too long. Most of the conversations were cute and funny, some poignant because of the circumstances and to be fair never boring, although I did find
A Girl Has No Name
4.5 stars - charming and very different read!

In The Turth About Riley, Henrietta Clarke shows in a very impressive way how powerful words can be. Riley has been scarred during a fire and hasn't been dating since - due to the fear of being rejected. When calling an ad for phone sex, he meets Cameron who became victime of his ex-boyfriends weird sense of vengeance.

After clearing the misunderstanding, one phone call leads to another and soon a wunderful friendship starts to develop. I was charmed
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to R * A Reader Obsessed * by: Meags
3.5 Stars

This is literally the tale of a courtship by conversation.

If you're ok with a slow burn romance that shows how two people fall in love without being encumbered first by looks, and second by visual cues such as body language, then come read this!

I admit at times it might have been a bit slow in some parts but one can empathize with Riley in his insecurity. One can also empathize in Cameron's understandable frustration as well. With palpable angst in the form of want and doubt, the taut
MLE
Aug 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to MLE by: Elspeth
Shelves: mm, kindle-archive
Sweet, and romantic, but Riley got on my nerves twoards the end. I understand his issues, but it got old; like it had been dragged out just a bit too long. I really liked the supporting cast, and I'm hoping that Drew gets his own book in the future. I quite liked his part in the story, and wish that Riley had taken his advice a bit sooner.
SheReadsALot
I WANT THIS NOW!!!!

I have. *claps hands excitedly*

Tee-hee
Nic
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is gorgeous. It is a heart-felt story of how one man's love finally convinces another of his beauty.

Through a series of telephone conversations and over a period of months, Cameron and Riley share their thoughts and feelings and develop a deep connection. It is so easy to like both Cameron and Riley. Through conversations we learn that both men are intelligent and witty and kind.

But Riley is a haunted by his own face in the mirror and can't believe anyone would be able to see past his
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Last night when choosing a new book to read, I was in the mood for something a bit different than my norm. The Truth About Riley fit the bill nicely.

Riley is a man who is scarred from a fire three years ago. He's beautiful, though he no longer sees that and he's faced a fair amount of rejection since trying to come back out of his shell. Before the fire, Riley was more than a little vain and definitely not in the market for anything resembling a relationship. He was young and was going
Anke
Jul 09, 2013 rated it liked it
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, mm
Buddy read 7/22 - Thanks, guys!

First, let me say how much I enjoyed this slow buildup telephonic romance. It was very different from any other I've read, and I loved how they got to know each other and rely on their conversations. It did take a wee bit of getting used to, but I ended up not minding them at all. I did get a smidgen frustrated with Riley's insistence on Cam never seeing him, but I really enjoyed the way they found ways around that via the telephone dates. One of my favorite scenes
Yeochingyu
Oct 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
This was awesome makes you realize there's so much to talk about over the phone with people you never met. The way they opened up to each other is just heart warming.

the funny topics, the little fights, the jealousy and the intimacy the sexiness!! HOT HOT!! well they did everything through phone calls.

That scene in the movie theater was SOMETHING I shed some tears there. my heart cracked a little for them. but there was still hope right.

"...But in case you didn’t realize from my reaction to the
Cristina T.
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this book, but unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I did enjoy the idea of the book, and some other aspects, but it the end, I was left unsatisfied. Bummer.

The good:

The dialogue: Dialogue is fantastic when done well. This book is 90% made up of dialogue, and i have to say the author did a good job of keeping the conversations between the MCs interesting.

Cam: This guy is utterly sweet, and he has the patience of a saint. I felt so bad
Eli Easton
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I love romances with a disabled/underdog character and I bought this on the basis of the blurb alone (though the cover is very nice too). I love the plot concept(a guy with burn scars gets in a relationship over the phone with a guy and is afraid to meet him) and both characters were compelling and likable. The additional characters, such as Riley's mom, were good too.

The story was, however, too long. There were many phone conversations between the two that weren't very interesting and didn't ad
Izengabe
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
La premisa argumental promete, pero no sé si es por cómo está escrito, por el ritmo de la historia, o porque no me ha pillado en buen momento, el caso es que no me ha llegado al corazón.
Riley me ha gustado mucho, Cam por su parte no termina de cobrar vida.
De todas formas, es una lectura agradable, con algunos momentos realmente tiernos.
Britta ★ Nachteule ★
Gift from my awesome Secret Santa chica Marcie!

Thank you, honey! That was great.

Anna C
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of classic romance movie/novel
Shelves: lgbtqqiaap, novel
5++ stars

So glad I stumbled across this gem, thanks to my persistent effort to scrutinize all GR's recommendations for me and all listopia for LGBT genre, checked it one by one, from one book to another. :D

If you read the summary on the cover, you can see the plot is not so original, but imho sometimes we need an injection of cliche stuff in our life, when our mood/hormones make us crave for it, lol.
However, not all cliche can work well...and this book is one of the exception for me, especiall
AnnaLund
For my honest and true view of this book, please read …MORE

Goodreads TOS-compliant review (I think, let me know when they tell us what the rules are):

"The book I just read is about two (or three) lovely people, written in beautiful language, by a very good and prolific author. I liked it very, very much.
It is for sale on Amazon.”

DISCLAIMER: My reviews now all have this pretty face, so that all and everyone on Goodreads can stay happy and beatific. I’ll let you know if I change my mind. See the
Firenz
Rating 3.75

a Sweet Beauty and the Beast type of read. (Even mentioned in the novel). Learning that physical appearance isn't nearly as important as we think.

Learning to deal life dealt you, and how to adjust your mind frame consequently.

The novel is almost entirely commenced through phone conversations. (Did drag a bit near the end). How one event can have devastating effects on our confidence and a glance from a stranger can seriously affect how you feel about yourself.

I loved the ex's revenge
  • Disasterology 101
  • When One Door Opens
  • The Coil
  • Speechless (Speechless #1)
  • Two Silent Cries
  • The Mating of Michael (Sex in Seattle, #3)
  • 500 Miles (500 Miles 1, An MLR Mixed Tape)
  • Ethan, Who Loved Carter
  • Aaron (Survivor Stories #1)
  • Whitewater
  • #First Impressions #Second Chances
  • Sole Support
  • Out of the Blackness (Avery, #1)
  • Junk (The Bristol Collection, #1)
  • Shy
  • Illumination
  • Never a Hero (Tucker Springs, #5)
  • Carte Blanche
Henrietta Clarke is a quirky Yorkshire lass who had the misfortune to discover the path she was actually meant to take in life three days into an intensive postgraduate course. Now free from the hell of law study, she divides her time between working as a lunchtime supervisor in a primary school, training as a fiction editor, and writing her own stories. When she’s not working, Henrietta can usual ...more