Start by marking “Dog and Bear: Three to Get Ready” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Dog and Bear: Three to...

Laura Vaccaro Seeger

Dog and Bear: Three to Get Ready

(Dog and Bear)

Uh-oh. Bear's head is stuck in a bucket. Oh, my. Oh, no. Fortunately Bear's good friend Dog is there to rescue him. Dog pulls, and he pulls, and he pulls--and still that bucket stays stuck. Things get sillier from there, as these two great friends get themselves into and out of tricky situations involving a very bouncy bed and a very messy room.
Published September 1st 2009 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about Dog and Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dog and Bear

DaNae
Bear and I share the same cataloging abilities.
Debbie Reiber

Dog and Bear: Three to Get Ready by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a picture book. The age group this book is intended for is nursery to primary. This book has three stories about two friends, Bear and Dog. The first story has bear with a bucket stuck on his head, the second story has dog jumping up and down on the bed, and the third story shows the two friends organizing dog’s toys.
I rated this book a three because I didn’t care for the jumping of one story to the next. I’d assume the “three to get re
Burbank Library Children's Department
This book tells three short stories of the adventures of Dog and Bear in the style of Frog and Toad, but with a few comics-style panels. Young children will enjoy the illustrations and the silliness, and early readers will find the text easy but intriguing.

A.R. 1.1
Amy Layton
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
This was a really quick, cute, and fun read that's totally perfect for your young ones!  With bright colors and Seeger's adorable drawings, Seeger creates a sense of fun in getting ready for the day (a task that's typically seen as pretty un-fun).  Each tale is short and engaging, and it makes me excited knowing that there are even more Dog and Bear books out there!

Review cross-listed here!
Kelly
Drawn and told in a simple style. Easy to follow, simple story, bold illlustrations.
Fjóla
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: early reader
While I'm a huge fan of Laura Vaccaro Seeger's art - her books are just so amazingly engineered - this one left me luke warm. First of all, as I leafed through the first few pages, I wasn't quite sure what type of book this was: Was it a book for toddlers? Was it an early reader? I'm still not sure, even if the subtitle - Three to Get Ready - is probably supposed to serve as a hint (ready for what?). I myself missed that hint and was actually halfway into the second story of the book when I real ...more
Maricor
Dog and Bear: Three to Get Ready by Laura Vaccaro Seeger (2009)
Picture Book, 32 pages
As adorable best pals, Dog and Bear share domestic adventures of friendship and folly in three comic-like vignettes. Only an adult would notice that Dog’s sock monkey is just a chew toy, and Bear, an obvious descendent of the teddy clan, is a walking talking animal full of stuffing, color, and character. Throughout the book, the pair revels in the mischief of tight situations, grand imaginations, and most import
Candice
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute stories, and appealing, colorful illustrations, but nothing really special. In the first story, Bear has a bucket stuck on his head and he appeals to Dog for help. I wasn't aware that the second story was indeed a second story and was momentarily confused, as the pages did not follow from the first story. In this story, Dog is jumping on the bed with obvious glee, while Bear worries that he will fall. In the third story, Bear attempts to alphabetize Dog's toys, but where did he put Dog's fa ...more
Shawna
Dog and Bear are great friends, who always seem to do just the right thing to help the other. Whether it is getting a bucket off Bear's head, saving Dog for a certain fall from a bed, or organizing a messy room, these two are there for each other. Simple stories and cheerful illustrations make this a good choice for younger students.
Melanie
I love Seeger's illustrations and her individual stories are cute. I have a problem with the format of this book. There are 3 individual stories in this picture book. There is no separation of the stories. They run right into each other. As a reader I had a hard time knowing that I was in a new story and it had nothing to do with the previous page.
Erica
Three little stories about Dog and Bear. A cute book for preschool-age children. In the first story, Bear gets a bucket stuck on his head, the second Dog is jumping on the bed and the third is about a sock monkey that gets lost after Bear organizes Dog's toys.
Elizabeth
Jan 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: early-reader
Themes: dog, bear, friends, teamwork, play, organize, organizing, graphic novel/comic format on some pages, dachshund

Book to read with or have young child read to you. Similar to an early reader but in picture bookish format
Christine
There are several of these. Each has three short stories. Perfect for filling a few minutes of time at school, using as a literacy or writing lesson, or just reading aloud. Get them all; they'll delight the young readers is your life.
Shannon
Jun 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, jp-jr-s, dogs, bears
I love Dog and Bear. They are so funny!
Donna
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such great friends. Nice stories. I may be a little biased as both of my children have hot dogs. I can't help but think of Chester Field and Sir Elton John when I read these books.
Mollie B
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
meh, not very good for storytime.
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Too cute! I encourage all parents to read this to their preschoolers and toddlers. Adorable story with endearing characters.
Karen Arendt
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another great read for Dog and Bear. I love the part where Dog bounces on the bed, and Bear has to prepare for his bounce off the bed.
Kristina Silverbears
The vignettes were a surprise. I chose this book expecting one story and read instead three parts of three stories. I don't know how a child would follow along. The illustrations are nice.
Bree
Jan 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
too dumbed-down for my tastes -- there are so many other great books available for this age bracket
Amy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
Great book for pre-school children. My nephew thought it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
Jodie
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book that contains three short stories with dog and bear. Little ones will enjoy these fun stories.
Alice
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.75 stars Dog and Bear are just fun, entertaining, informative--shows fun and friendship!! Yeah DOG AND BEAR!!
Emily
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story about a dog and bear that are best friends. This would be great for repetition and phonemic awareness activities.
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Dog and Bear's friendship is again told as three stories, each cute but not as engaging as other titles in the series.
Susan
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I like the filing system at the end.
Alida
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of my favorite author/illustrator. I love her Dog and Bear series. Her economy of line and simple sentences are almost haiku like. Plus, I'm a doxie fan.
Lisa
Sep 30, 2009
Carol Nain
Oct 03, 2009
Audrey Clark
Nov 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, N