Start by marking “Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #3)

Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles #3)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  5,518 Ratings  ·  161 Reviews
'Sometimes dreams were gateways through which messages might come. Beasts called them ashlings: dreams that called...'

The powerful farseeker Elspeth Gordie is sent to Sutrium, seat of the totalitarian Council that rules the land, to seal an alliance between the secret Misfit community at Obernewtyn and rebel forces.

She travels from the mountains reluctantly, for at any mom
Published 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Ashling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ashling

Ksenia
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I got the first one from the library and towards the end of the first book I knew this was something interesting. But it wasn’t until the second book (at the end of the second book no less) when I knew I had something fascinating in my hands. The moment that really got me was when the horse Gahltha pledges his loyalty to Elspeth and promises to help her and never leave her side (there’s a reason why of course) but I was so moved by this previously-arrogant horse and his devotion, that my hear ...more
Kerry
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REREAD #1: 14 November 2015 - 19 November 2015 (9/10)

I'm rereading my way through the Obernewtyn series now that the final book is out and waiting safely on my Kindle. I had read the first four previously, then I got so worried about what might happen to Elspeth (a reaction I see I was already having with the earlier books last time) that I stopped reading until the series was finished. (A process I see took another 6 years so I'd have been worrying for quite a while.)

It has been fascinating rer
Karen
May 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Blazed through the last 100 pages, but honestly before about 400-ish, I was extremely bored during this one. The storyline that I thought was only going to last maybe half the book was actually more like 85% of the book, and it was just not entertaining, plus all the 'twists' were quite predictable.
Thankfully the last 15% had something of the overarching story to it, so it seems I will continue the series, and hopefully the writing will grow over the rest of the books as well.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This review contains spoilers.

Re-reading the third book in the Obernewtyn Chronicles, I was quickly reminded of why it was my favourite for such a long time: things REALLY start happening, on so many levels.

A year has gone by since the events of The Farseekers , making Elspeth about eighteen years old (I'm determined to keep track of her age this time, as it's never mentioned since she was first introduced to us at the age of fourteen). There are again rumours of a soldierguard camp planned fo
Sophie
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stelle e mezzo, in realtà!
Ma il ritmo (eccessivamente lento), lo stile old-fashioned e il fatto che la trama principale della saga non sia avanzata di un quarto di passo in 500 pagine, giocano un po' a sfavore di questo terzo romanzo...
Dr.q
Oct 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fanti-sci
*Spoilers Implied*

I think that Carmody just gets better and better. it's obvious that the series started while she was a young writer, (i believe she was in high school when she started it) but it has progressively evolved to having a solid voice. I'm in love with all of her characters, that being said all of the perifery characters have more depth than the protagonist. Elspeth is pretty pig-headed and refuses to evolve. Her acceptance at the end of the novel comes out of the BLUE and isn't real
Sumire
It's been over a decade since I've read the obernewtyn chronicles and I am bingeing the whole series now that it has been completed. What I didn't quite appreciate as a 14 year old is the seamless way in which the dream trails have been weaved into the general 'action' plot. Some series focus too much on character and as these characters evolve the authors lose sight of the destiny or prophecy aspect that drives the character's actions. Carmody nails this. There's no obvious/cheap desire to thro ...more
Mel
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourites in this series. This, similar to Goblet of Fire for the HP series, really sets the tone of the rest of the Obernewtyn Chronicles and starts propelling the main quest story forward. I find the writing steps it up in this book, with some utterly gorgeous prose.

I can't wait to delve into the next few books, which I do not remember as well as this one.
Jenny
Sep 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, it's official, I love this series! I wouldn't say the writing is amazing, or the concept original but these books have the best characterization. It's been ages since I've read a book and had to set it down, take a deep breath and remind myself that it's just a story, it's not real and to calm down. I love that!
Elizabeth
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
[4.5]
Mere
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rebels, misfits and an impending war that's about to start. What could possibly go wrong?

The misfits have finally found a path in which they grow.
B. R.  Kyle
Elizabeth
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is so much I love about 'The Ashling', Isobelle Carmody's third book in the acclaimed Obernewtyn chronicles. The depth of Elspeth as an individual character is really explored in this novel. This corresponds with the book's attempt to draw out and challenge the human condition and the nature of humanity. As a reader, you find yourself empathising with Elspeth's many moods and thoughts through a stream of consciousness writing style which keeps the read engaging. You follow her fears, anxie ...more
Maureen
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This book is amazing! I can remember reading the first 4 books in this series religiously over and over again as a teenager and this one was always my favorite. Gypsies! Swallow (the Jack Sparrow of the Obernet verse), tattoos of birds (I still want someone to design an Agyllian bird water colour tattoo so I can get it), rebels, battle games, desert people! Also Part 2 had the best drama bomb of the series up to book 4. People who have read this book before will know which part I'm referring to.
Amelia Sarif
A bit meandering throughout the middle, but intriguing enough to keep me hooked. The character development picks up a little here but only for Elspeth and a few main characters. Too many other characters have been neglected in terms of their development. They have names and some have a little backstory but there is not enough attention paid to any of them for me to feel as if they are very real.
Miffy
This has been my favourite so far. What an ending! No spoilers, but I'm so glad that I'm going back and reading the ones I missed while I was having kids. The richness of this world is absolutely enhanced by Isobelle's reading. The Keeping Place is downloaded and ready to go next week on the way to work. Amazing.
Jody Ellis
Another good book, would have been 4 stars if not for the part about tattooing babies. That makes no sense because you'd end up with a stretched and warped image not a beautiful one in adulthood as was described.
Lara
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of the Obernewtyn Chronicles. Long and felt longer. I am committed to reading the rest, but am hoping the others aren't so ponderous. The ideas are cool, but she really needs an editor. The first two books were a lot shorter, so maybe that's why I didn't notice the medicrity.
Nicole
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I can not wait to start the next one and see where the story will take me.
Kiri
Dec 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I like the story well enough, but the quality of writing is exasperating, particularly in the way everything is so overstated.
Kate Gooding
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
The constant reminders of what happened in the previous books and the plot holes are starting to grate on me, but I still like the underlying story, world and characters.
Kate
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
reread 2017
Captain I
Perhaps got a little dense and depressing in the middle but quickly found its way back to intriguing and engaging again by the second half. Ending conclusion is a refreshing change from many another prophecy/rebellion-led fantasy novel - am very excited to see where it goes from here. Only one more audiobook to go!
Alexandra
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011, re-read
Spoilers for the first two Obernewtyn books.

Ashling. The point at which Carmody's editor said, let's make it big! Sigh. 520-odd pages is large. Still, she is a page turner, so it didn't take me that long to plough through it a second time.

The book opens with a halfblooded gypsy about to be burned at the stake by a Herder, which is nicely dramatic and also introduces the gypsies themselves, who have only been vaguely alluded to in the previous books. Here, beginning with Elspeth's rescue of the g
Rachel
The first three books in Isobelle Carmody’s science fiction series, The Obernewtyn Chronicles, take place after a tragic event called the Great White has killed most of the population and caused some survivors to inherit special mental talents that allow them to read minds, coerce people and speak to animals. These people are called misfits and are unwanted members of society. Often hunted and killed by the government and fanatic religious groups, these misfits must hide their powers at all time ...more
Jill Smith
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elspeth Gordie is Guildmistress of Obernewtyn. Yet she still travels to rescue Misfits in the land. This book opens with her rescuing an old gypsy. The woman is about tied at the steak for burning. The woman seemed to care little about her plight. The rescue came with help from an arrow that lodged in the Herders chest. Who helped them and why? The old woman was tortured and now lay unconscious. Elspeth took her to their safe house for Kella the healer to work on.

Who was helping them? The answer
Skye
I thought that Ashling was the book where The Obernewtyn Chronicles really found their pace. Elspeth’s quest begins to gain traction, alongside the Misfits journey to acceptance. The parallel tales of the two missions begin to really make sense and it is easy to understand how Elspeth’s fate is intertwined with the fate of all of Obernewtyn (and indeed, the world).

Not only did the storyline become a lot more complex and intricate, and very quickly, the cast was expanded in the first few chapters
Anthony
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults
Shelves: young-adult, youth
The first two books in the Obernewtyn Chronicles ('Obertnewtyn' and 'The Farseekers', respectively) were easy to read and flowed reasonably well. However, with 'Ashling', the overall story became tedious and, for me, bordered on ridiculous. I'm probably reading these books with eyes that are too old and possibly too critical - not the intended audience. At times, though, when reading the Obernewtyn chronicles I'm reminded of 'The Hunger Games' trilogy (actually, really the other way around - whe ...more
Shannon
Book 4: The Keeping Place
Book 5: Wavesong
Book 6: The Stone Key
Book 7: The Sending
Book 8: The Red Queen (final book, to be published November 2013)

(view spoiler) Very exciting, and gradually moves the story arc along.
Austin Sheehan
In the third instalment of the Obernewtyn Chronicles, Elspeth Gordie faces some new challenges, new discoveries, and meets new friends and new enemies in the post-apocalyptic land.

Ashling follows Elspeth as she travels from Obernewtyn to Sutrium to the Misfits' safe house there, under constant threat of discovery from the Herder faction and the Council's Soldierguards. From there, in an attempt to be accepted by rebels opposing the Herders and the council, Elspeth and a group of Misfits go by bo
What's The Name o...: Fantasy - teens with powers like empathy, [s] 14 126 Oct 25, 2013 11:20PM
  • The Shining City (Rhiannon's Ride #2)
  • The Lady of the Sorrows (The Bitterbynde, #2)
  • The Chaos Crystal (Tide Lords, #4)
  • An Echo in Time: Atlantis (The Ancient Future, #2)
  • Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
Isobelle Carmody began the first novel of her highly acclaimed Obernewtyn Chronicles while she was still in high school. The series has established her at the forefront of fantasy writing in Australia.

In addition to her young-adult novels, such as the Obernewtyn Chronicles and Alyzon Whitestarr, Isobelle's published works include several middle-grade fantasies. Her still-unfinished Gateway Trilogy
More about Isobelle Carmody...

The Obernewtyn Chronicles (8 books)
  • Obernewtyn (Obernewtyn Chronicles, #1)
  • The Farseekers (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #2)
  • The Keeping Place (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #4)
  • The Stone Key (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #5)
  • The Sending (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #6)
  • The Red Queen (The Obernewtyn Chronicles, #7)
  • The Obernewtyn Chronicles: Books 1 - 6
“Impatience is not the least of your faults, Malik, it is a kind of greed and someday it may see you undone.” 9 likes
“It would be a simple matter if lives were lived by hindsight,’ Rushton said. ‘There is much we would not begin, if we could see how it would end.” 2 likes