Start by marking “Ice” as Want to Read:
Ice

Ice

The top brass of Western Intelligence are badly rattled when transatlantic cables are inexplicably and provocatively cut, and Russian and American relations reach freezing-point. Only Glyn Sherwood and Julia Hammond, two scientists working in the Antarctic, can guess the identity of the enemy. It is a gargantuan slice of the glacial continent bearing millions of tons of ...more
Published May 10th 1989 by Mandarin (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice

Start your review of Ice
Tara
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy natural disaster or war books
Shelves: i-own
Short and interesting, this book is the perfect read for a day on the bus or plane.

While the characterisation is sparse, the story moves fast and I found myself eagerly reading on to find out how they'd avert tragedy. The technical information is separated into little amounts that don't bore the reader, and the small amount of foreshadowing and mystery is fun to try and figure out. A very good read.
Finley Ponthie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Far Away From Being Believable.

The whole world knows that when ice melts it turns simply to water, not to some gummy substance with color.
Patricia A Schueler
Fantastic

Couldn't put the book down it kept me riveted . Very exciting and well written . This coming from a 73-year-old woman .
Sean Randall
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
"He bit on his cigar and summed up with a six-word sentence that made up in conciseness what it lacked in finesse: Those bastards are up to something."

This is a very good Follett indeed. Obviously, I can't say with any degree of certainty what would happen if a gargantuan iceberg decided to start rolling its way through the ocean, but for your average lay person this is quite an interesting premise to read about. It's at the eighteenth chapter, I think, we start to get a glimpse of our
Linda
May 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: pre-goodreads
The initial premise of this book is that an ice shelf the size of Connecticut has broken away from Antarctica. So far, so good; that HAS happened in the past.

HOWEVER ... Ignoring all actual current patterns, and not even getting stuck in the doldrums, said shelf travels northeastward up the Atlantic Ocean, takes a left at Brazil, then travels northwestward and heads straight for the tip of Manhattan (presumably missing Lady Liberty, but I read this so many years ago I've forgotten).

If you
wwjdcindygmail.com
Fair

I know this is a dated book but even with that in mind, this wasn't that great.sometimes what could have been a thrilling story gets rushed through and what I think would have been exciting gets watered down to just a few mentions.that's the case here.a little too technically boring.
Adrian
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this one up thinking it was by Ken Follett ! It proved to be three short novels in the spy-thriller genre. There wee some whimsical moments, especially in the middle one, such as meeting with an Ian Fleming and James Bond. All good reads, to put in your holiday reading bag.
Jake Bennett
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good thriller with lots of daring do.

I might have given it another star if many of the sequences had not been so unrealistic. I kept wondering when James Bond was going to appear.
Nathan
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
A solid read from this author. This was the first book I've read by Follett, and it kept me rooted to it until I had it done. An amazing read and it sounds like the author did his research before writing it.
Steve Markham
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
This book isn't bad but the ending is just a tad povious. Has the od bit of umour as a fair few of his seem to which helped with the enjoyment.
Sam Burnett
Aug 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Brr.
Henry
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cold-and-snow
Not a bad read at all. An Ice Berg is heading towards New York.
Bettie
Nov 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Available at BBC Radio 7. Quite interesting.
Paul Servini
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Quite predictable at times, but enjoyable enough.
Jerald Haggard

• Ronan O'Higgins
  • Modigliani Scandal
  • The Evening and the Morning
  • The Zanzibar Affair: A High Society Love Story Out of Africa
  • The Citizen (Storycuts)
  • Logging Off
  • Paper Money
  • Marauder (Oregon Files, #15)
  • Solomon vs. Lord (Solomon vs. Lord, #1)
  • The Allingham Casebook
  • Zero Cool: A Novel
  • The Return of the Ripper (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #6)
  • Death at the Diogenes Club (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #5)
  • Die Again, Mr. Holmes (Sherlock Holmes and Lucy James Mystery #7)
  • The Transcendental Murder (Homer Kelly, #1)
  • The Memorial Hall Murder (Homer Kelly, #3)
  • The Star and the Shamrock
James Follett (not "Follet") is an author and screenwriter, born in 1939 in Tolworth, England.

Follett became a full-time fiction writer in 1976, after resigning from contract work as a technical writer for the British Ministry of Defence. He has since written over 20 novels, several television plays, and many radio dramas. He is one of the 400 most popular British authors, measured by the numbers