Start by marking “Anthem” as Want to Read:
Anthem

Read Book* *Different edition

Anthem

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  110,700 Ratings  ·  7,559 Reviews
He lived in the dark ages of the future. In a loveless world he dared to love the woman of his choice. In an age that had lost all trace of science and civilization he had the courage to seek and find knowledge, to discover. But these were not the crimes for which he would be hunted. He was marked for death because he had committed the unpardonable sin: he had stood forth ...more
Audio CD
Published December 1st 1998 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published May 1938)

To ask other readers questions about Anthem, please sign up.

Jean-baptiste It's impossible to answer. We don't know (from the book) what kind of society the heroes will build. But if we judge from other books by the same…moreIt's impossible to answer. We don't know (from the book) what kind of society the heroes will build. But if we judge from other books by the same author, the answer is yes. The author favors an extremely individualistic, inhumane society, where the law of the strongest prevails without constraints. History tells us these societies quickly disintegrate into totalitarian nightmares and people rebel...(less)
Sean Ferguson This is a required book for sophomores in my district

Irina
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is about human identity and freedom, and how one can degrade under the chains of collectivism.

A lot of reviews on this book, which are posted on this site, use the word “futuristic” events. I intentionally put the quotes around this word as I tend to totally disagree with the choice of this word. I used to live under socialist regime, a collectivistic society. So I can relate and completely understand the events described in the book, where the word “I” doesn’t exist, when it is a shame
mark monday
a long day at work with a lot of that work left unfinished
+ happy hour drinks with colleagues, no they're more than that, with friends
+ I have to get around to reviewing a book by mutterfookin' AYN RAND of all things
=

DRUNK ЯEVIEW #?

so I've been on a hiring spree lately, just hiring people left and right because yay my work is actually getting multiple contracts and that means we can actually hire people instead of everyone doing two jobs per usual nonprofit social services type staffing patterns
Matthew
I cannot believe I just realized now I did not have this book marked as read! I read this back in high school and loved it!

For those thinking about trying Ayn Rand, this is a good intro book considering it is only a little over 100 pages and her other popular titles (mainly talking about Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead) are quite daunting in their length.

Now, in the past I have had trouble reviewing Ayn Rand because she is controversial. Usually this leads to people not being able to separat
Pete
Nov 08, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pretentious Ron Paul fans
Congrats, Aynnie! You've received my first single star rating! I read this in high school when I was reading a lot of dystopian future literature and thought it was by far the worst of the lot. Granted, if I'd read it when I was younger I might have liked it more, but saying that the even younger, less mature, more pretentious version of my teenage self would have liked something is hardly a glowing endorsement.

As such I've steered /way/ clear of her door-stoppers. I don't think you really need
Zora
May 21, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: oblivious egotists
Shelves: gawdawful
The real tragedy of this book is that the billions of copies that have been printed could have been more appropriately used to build homes for people in third world countries. This book could not be more self indulgent if it came with a bottle of Absynthe and a membership to MENSA. Not only is it impossibly boring to read, the characters are so one dimensional that they put V.C. Andrews to shame. Do yourself a favor: set this on fire and use the fourteen hours that it burns to read Martin's Song ...more
Kamyar
Mar 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neither a science-fiction masterpiece, nor a futuristic predicament, ANTHEM is a personal reaction to the collectivist system, dominant in Soviet Union and its modernized colonies for more than seven decades. Assumed too much reactionary by leftist intellectuals for rather a long time, it depicts the apocalyptic chaos in a world ruled by collectivist thoughts in the same way that Orwell’s 1984 builds it (for instance, you can think of a world after a nuclear crisis and then come to the meaning o ...more
Conrad
Apr 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely the only book by Ayn Rand I will ever need to read, unless I happen to be reincarnated as an asshole. When people start modeling their book covers after Mussolini-era Italian architecture, worry.
Danny Salinger
Jul 25, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: emotionally mature people interested in a good laugh.
Shelves: half-read
Daniel
Nov 02, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Daniel by: Erica
Mocking, Childish Review

The ending, with the Statue of Liberty emerging from the beach, was a nice twist. "You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!" As it turns out, it was Earth all along.

And, yes, for those keeping score at home, I do intend to use this exact same review for every dystopian novel I read. At least I amuse myself and, really, isn't that what matters most?

Slightly Less Childish Review

Look, I fully appreciate how Ayn Rand and her family suffered at
Heather
Dec 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: old-favorites
This book really helped me get my self esteem back together. This was my mantra going into college.... I think it got me through a lot of BS. It is not bad to remind yourself of the following things every once in a while.....

"I am. I think. I will.

My hands . . . My spirit . . . My sky . . . My forest . . . This earth of mine. . . . What must I say besides? These are the words. This is the answer.

I stand here on the summit of the mountain. I lift my head and I spread my arms. This, my body and
Around the Year i...: Anthem, by Ayn Rand 5 49 Oct 24, 2017 06:21PM
UCAS English 10 H...: September Reading Assignment 2 1 12 Oct 16, 2017 08:51PM
Goodreads Librari...: Add cover photo and page count (2) 3 17 Oct 08, 2017 10:13AM
Book/movie 3 34 Jul 11, 2017 07:05PM
  • Anatomy of the State
  • Trustee from the Toolroom
  • A Modern Utopia
  • The Scarlet Plague
  • Logan's Run (Logan, #1)
  • Free Market Revolution: How Ayn Rand's Ideas Can End Big Government
  • Ayn Rand and the World She Made
  • Ape and Essence
  • My Years with Ayn Rand
  • Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
  • Time Will Run Back: A Novel About the Rediscovery of Capitalism
Alisa Rosenbaum was born in pre-revolutionary St. Petersburg to a prosperous Jewish family. When the Bolsheviks requisitioned the pharmacy owned by her father, Fronz, the Rosenbaums fled to the Crimea. Alisa returned to the city (renamed Leningrad) to attend the university, but in 1926 relatives who had already settled in America offered her the chance of joining them there. With money from the sa ...more
More about Ayn Rand...
“My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.” 669 likes
“The word "We" is as lime poured over men, which sets and hardens to stone, and crushes all beneath it, and that which is white and that which is black are lost equally in the grey of it. It is the word by which the depraved steal the virtue of the good, by which the weak steal the might of the strong, by which the fools steal the wisdom of the sages.

What is my joy if all hands, even the unclean, can reach into it? What is my wisdom, if even the fools can dictate to me? What is my freedom, if all creatures, even the botched and impotent, are my masters? What is my life, if I am but to bow, to agree and to obey?

But I am done with this creed of corruption.

I am done with the monster of "We," the word of serfdom, of plunder, of misery, falsehood and shame.

And now I see the face of god, and I raise this god over the earth, this god whom men have sought since men came into being, this god who will grant them joy and peace and pride.

This god, this one word:

"I.”