Start by marking “Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen

Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  1,240 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
There's a reason caviar has a reputation as a love food, but a little vanilla or peppermint can work wonders too! You'll savor mushrooms like never before after experiencing their intuitive-raising effects, and a munch of celery will resonate with new meaning as it boosts your sexual desire and psychic awareness.

Virtually any item in your pantry can be used for personal tr
Published November 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen

Nov 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I was curious: I like cooking and I'm intrigued by magic, so it seemed to be a nice and possibly amusing book to read.

I was disappointed.
It might even have something good in it, I wouldn't say no. But it seems to me that it was written just because. It does not seem to be a book that took years to write.
It is too much simplistic in many ways: we must not use microwave ovens because they aren't "traditional". But we are allowed to use electricity ones: are they "tradit
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
This is full of simple every day items that can be used for magic. It's also full of diets to help bring in what you want. It's so handy and I love it so much. I love anything that man writes and has put out. It's so helpful. I think this is a great place to start because pretty much everything in here can found at a local supermarket which makes it so easy for someone like me so lives very far from the local pagan store.
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
I do not have particularly nice things to say about this book.

It's your typical Llewellyn book, although perhaps better researched than most. There is a real and viable bibliography, and I almost bumped it up to two stars just for the bibliography. And as much as this book frustrated the hell out of me, it's hard for me to not feel kindly toward Scott Cunningham.

But omg everything else.

Why do these foods have these correspondences? Who the hell knows, really, though there's a little collecting o
Colleen Criswell
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lots of interesting and good information. I particularly found the information on the different color of corn used in making flour and its different correspondent element (white and air, red and fire, blue and water, gold and earth) very interesting.
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Yeah... I didn't really like this. He's got a sort of snide judgy tone that slips in here and there and makes it feel like he's making fun of the beliefs he's writing about. Also the organization doesn't seem like it would lend itself well to actual use. I think maybe I just messed up in getting something styled as an "Encyclopedia" (it isn't, really) rather than what I really wanted, which was something that would delve into the deeper ideas and themes. (Rather than lists I would have preferred ...more
Alexia Moon
Pretty good book! even though it is called "Wicca in the Kitchen" it has no relation to Wicca except for the fact that it doesn't have anything for curses or any type of negative use of Magick. Besides that it's mostly a folk/kitchen Magick kind of book. It has several correspondences, recipes, tips for using magick in the kitchen and many uses of it for love, health, money, sex, work, purification, psychic development, etc. Recommended for any fan of Kitchen Witchcraft!
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everything you wanted to know about Magical Cooking! Cunningham provides a familair and friendly voice, and an informative, entertaining look at the history and magical uses of all our favorite foods! Did you know Roman Soldiers were once paid with Salt? How about placing cups of Vinegar (or Onions) around the house to absorb negativity? Next time you put Syrup on those Pancakes, visualize Money coming your way! Wanna know how to make The Drunken Pumpkin for your next Samhain feast, or Charmed P ...more
Julie Jenks
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is so interesting. Teaches you all about the positive properties of foods. What foods to eat to bring abundance, good luck, and prosperity into your life. What foods to eat if you are trying to attract love into your life... Fascinating! I respect Scott Cunningham's books very much. Even though this man has since passed from this phase of life since 1992 I am just now reading his books and it always feels like he is still alive. Like he just wrote the book this year!
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully written and gives a great overview of hearth witchery and home-based practices. Cunningham provides information on herbs (mundane and otherwise) and how they can be used in cooking and spellwork at the stove. The tone is nearly conversational, making this an easy read and while there are some section geared toward more advanced practitioners, this book can largely be read and utilized by Pagans and Wiccans at any level of practice and knowledge.
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
While this is a cookbook, it is much more vital. It details why and how the kitchen plays a central role in everyone's daily lives. It made me appreciate the need to keep my cooking utensils and appliances clean and orderly by telling me why these rituals were important to the ancients as well as their modern relevance. As I consider myself a Kitchen Witch this tome remains a spiritual wellspring for me.
Ronda Snow
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the third of Mr. Cunningham's books that I've read, and they are consistently excellent. The information is clear, useable, comfortable, accessible. Wicca in the Kitchen is interesting not only from an energy / magic / spirituality standpoint, it temps the tastebuds too. I've gotten some tasty cooking and meal ideas here too!
Willow Carpenter
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wiccan
an excellent resource- esp for the wiccan cook who wants to create their own magical dishes!
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth the Read

I’ve been using his books for years when working my Craft. These one though was the most helpful I’ve recently realized. ^_^
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
will definitely be trying the artichoke pie recipe next week!
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pagan
Mostly valuable in terms of inspiring a new way of looking at food, as many of the particular recipes and ritual ideas don't sound like the kinds of things I would actually try myself, though they've sparked my imagination. Then again, I love all things food and almost never cook exactly "by the recipe," so that's not necessarily a fault of this text. Additionally, a lot of the food philosophy seems overly simplistic and personally unsatisfying: there's a lot of predictable emphasis on "traditio ...more
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is truly an Encyclopedia, which is not exactly what I was looking for. Descriptions and histories of many foods divided into chapters by type (breads, desserts, vegetables etc.) The histories of the different grains were my favorite sections of the book. There are some recipes, but they seem kind of trite/unserious. Out of date on references/catalogues/places to acquire foodstuffs. Might be useful as a reference in the future... but not a good, informative read.
Angela Winters
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love Scott Cunningham's books and this one didn't let me down. I love how he talks about how food can be used in our everyday lives to enrich us and to be used magically. The spells are wonderful and the recipes are great!
Nina De Lorenzo
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thought this book was great fun! I will update my review once I try some of the recipes as that is typically the determining factor in any type of cook book (though this book has more info than just a cook book).
Louis Pompanio
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Cunningham book to date. It was a gift. Unwrapping it made it so special. I love the cover, the artwork and consult it regularly. It really helps me prepare food with mindfulness. Scott's words are often in my ear in the kitchen. We give thanks.
Reham La-yramo
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
It was a really interesting informative kinda book...
I was surprised to learn a lot about certain foods and their magical values...and how they affect our bodies..
at some point there was boring stuff, but overall an enjoyable reas
Pretty good cookbook/ guidebook for kitchen witches. Not too many actual recipes though.
Linda Strother
Very Good.
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great resource for practitioners! Love it!
Wondra Vanian
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: recipes
As always, Cunningham is excellent for reference - but a bit too dry to just sit and read.
Marshall Wilson
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Not what I was expecting, more of a reference book than a cookbook (as the title clearly indicates by its use of the word Encyclopedia). I was hoping for something with a little more "feeling". Meh.
Alexandra Chauran
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was so glad that this was available in the library. A lot didn't apply to me as a vegetarian, but it still gave me ideas and I'd like to own it as a reference book among our recipes.
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
This was quite interesting. I will keep it for reference. I have the .pdf version of this.
Catyia Alysis
This is the first book Wicca related that I have purchased in a VERY LONG TIME. It spoke to me though, so I had to get it.
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The rhythm of the seasons is in every kitchen, no matter our core faith.
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great addition to any Pagan's library! Scott Cunningham delivers another well written resource!
  • Wicca: The Complete Craft
  • Witch in the Kitchen: Magical Cooking for All Seasons
  • A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook
  • Beltane: Springtime Rituals, Lore & Celebration
  • The Wicca Spellbook: A Witch's Collection of Wiccan Spells, Potions, and Recipes
  • Candlemas: Feast of Flames
  • Halloween!
  • A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magic
  • The Encyclopedia of Magickal Ingredients: A Wiccan Guide to Spellcasting
  • Grimoire for the Green Witch: A Complete Book of Shadows
  • The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over
  • Ostara: Customs, Spells & Rituals for the Rites of Spring
Scott Douglas Cunningham was the author of dozens of popular books on Wicca and various other alternative religious subjects. Today the name Cunningham is synonymous with natural magic and the magical community. He is recognized today as one of the most influential and revolutionary authors in the field of natural magic.

Scott Cunningham was born at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, Michi
More about Scott Cunningham...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99