Start by marking “Bully (Fall Away, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bully (Fall Away, #1)

Bully (Fall Away #1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  70,134 Ratings  ·  5,312 Reviews
My name is Tate. He doesn't call me that, though. He would never refer to me so informally, if he referred to me at all.

We're neighbors, and once, we were best friends. But then, one summer, he turned on me and has made it his mission to screw up my life at every opportunity. I've been humiliated, shut out, and gossiped about all through high school. His pranks and rumors
Published June 17th 2013 by Penelope Douglas

To ask other readers questions about Bully, please sign up.

Penelope Douglas You can't. Nor can I eat for free, house myself for free, or get clothes for my child for free.

Penelope Douglas Aw, thanks for loving the characters. Aflame will be out April 21, but that will be the last one, I'm afraid. On to new adventures in 2015 :)
Real by Katy EvansDriven by K. BrombergBully by Penelope DouglasCollide by Gail McHughBeautiful Bastard by Christina Lauren
Romance Debuts 2013
440 books — 4,010 voters
Bully by Penelope DouglasBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireObsidian by Jennifer L. ArmentroutFallen Too Far by Abbi GlinesRule by Jay Crownover
Hot Jerk
141 books — 363 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Aug 10, 2013 Emily May rated it did not like it

I am conducting what I'm shelving as a "New Adult (NA) Experiment". I'm going to work my way through some of the popular New Adult books and see if I can weed out the crap and hopefully find some surprising gems. Here's hoping!

Dear book,

I was ready to like this book. I was ready to be forgiving of the small negatives. I was ready to make excuses for it, try and justify the bad and pretend the good overshadowed it. I don't even remember the last time I wanted to like a book this much. Despite wha
Lisa
Jun 21, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing

4.5 Stars

description

There is a fine line between love and hate, right? We always hurt the ones we love the most. We lash out, confront them, say harsh words, punish.....all for what? To hide ourselves? To protect ourselves? For what? What happens when we can’t hurt the ones who hurt you? Turn to others to let it all go? Punish others for someone else’s mistakes?

Jared Trent:

Tatum Brandt:

description

Jared and Tatum were once best friends. They once were everything to one another. Then, for
Aestas Book Blog

Bully was a wonderfully addictive read that kept my heart racing from start to finish. I could not put it down! 5 stars!!

He loves me... He loves me not... He loves me... He loves me not...

Jared and Tate grew up next door to each other. Jared was sweet, generous and friendly and they were the best and closest of friends. But not anymore. The kid who had held her hand through the pain of losing her mother, who had climbed trees with her, and who had snuck over for sleepovers was gone and now he s
Penelope Douglas
Jun 23, 2013 Penelope Douglas marked it as finished-writing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to EVERYONE who has left reviews and messaged with feedback. Truly. As a new author who had no connections and no network, I cannot tell you how much your support has meant. It has been a wonderful year and a half since Bully's release, and now three books later, we complete the circle.

Jared and Tate will continue to finish up the series. Look for Aflame in April 2015!

(Note: This is not the cover. Just a teaser pic.) Thank you everyone again!
Kristen
3 Stars – I have very mixed emotions about this book.

While I liked this book for the most and was captivated by the author's realistic portrayal of bullying, I must admit, this book left me with mixed feeling.

Bullying is a real-life problem and I felt the author did a great job showcasing its powerful ability to hurt the human soul while at the same time showing the resilience of the human spirit.

For me, though, this book had some undeniable stumbling blocks. This story was too Young Adult for
Christy
4.5 Crazy good stars!!!!!
 photo 675d5263-c07e-436f-b425-ff16c4af2841_zpsa257d1c3.jpg

For her whole high school career, Tate has been bullied. By one person in particular... Jared. Jared is Tate’s neighbor and used to be Tate’s best friend, but now, he isn’t. He is just someone who enjoys making her life hell.

photo 340a1bbb-32fd-4f26-bc86-93220a3f4f3b_zpsbac637a2.jpg
I had loved Jared once, but now I knew, without a doubt, that ‘my Jared’ was gone.
The worst part about it? The summer before their freshman year of highschool, Jared went to stay with his dad. When he came home, he was different. He wanted nothi
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
5 Stars

I had loved Jared once, but now I knew, without a doubt, that "my Jared" was gone.

God. This book. I mean, THIS BOOK. Words fail me to describe just how much I loved this. I've had this in my kindle for what feels like ages since I got it as a freebie way back in 2013. I've seen it making the rounds on Goodreads and for some reason I still hadn't read it. If I can kick my own ass for not reading this sooner, I would, because this book? This book reminded me about all the reasons why I
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
First off, I admit: I'm a sucker for love/hate stories. And after reading the premise for Bully, I was super psyched to see where it would take me.

Alas, I feel like I've stepped into a trap.

I've come across a thousand FANFICTIONS that were so. much. better. (Hell, comparing it to that feels like an insult to fanfictions themselves.) But this is simply yet another blasted romance novel suffering from the 'new-adult-unoriginal-cliche-itis' that's been circulating around and contaminating 80% of th
Val ⚓️ ShamelessBitchySkanky ⚓️ Steamy Reads
***Re-read 11/11/16: Was talking about this book the other day with blog-wife Maria and felt like a re-read...***

5 HUGE Asshole Stars

I REALLY enjoyed this book.

Now, I know bullying is a serious and highly sensitive issue. And I'm not downplaying that or tying to make light of that.

I am speaking about this strictly as a 30-something, non-impressionable ADULT reading a work of complete fucking fiction.

So I'm not going to get into any social commentary regarding this books portrayal of bullying
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
3,5 STARS

Yesterday lasts forever.
Until you.

Tate and Jared are neighbours and they were best friends...

description
One summer..Jared turned on Tate!He began to bully her..Spreading vicious rumours,humiliating her..Time passed and things get worst..

“What was worse than losing you was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home.”

description

Tate comes back for her senior from France..But coming home she's tired of being a
"That's All" Ash
 photo download-43.jpg
____________________________________________

“I like storms. Thunder, torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes. When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation. Everything is more beautiful in the rain. Don’t ask me why. But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity. I used to feel like a superhero, riding my bike over the dangerously slick roads, or maybe an Olympic athlete enduring rough trials to make it to the finish line.”
____________________________________________

photo 51b11d65bb8bb46eeedf86cfb384eac8.jpg

Thi
Lisa Jayne
Jun 21, 2013 Lisa Jayne rated it really liked it
4 FALLING IN LOVE STARS.

"I want to touch you, I want to feel what's mine. What's always been mine."

What's it all about?
Two former friends Jared Trent and Tate Brandt now find themselves as mortal enemies. After years of being inseparable the duo find themselves in the ultimate love/hate relationship. Tate has suffered for years at the hands of Jared's constant taunting and pranks so after a year away in Europe Tate returns to Shelburne falls high school determined to be stronger. In a standoff
Ramona
When I think about how I've started reading contemporary romance, the first book that pops in my head is Bully. I was fascinated by a lot of elements, mostly the striking way in which the love scenes were described, but the list can go on forever and ever.

Now looking back after reading around 300 books, I think that "Bully" is unique in plot and in theme provided. There weren't a lot of books that had this approach, making you question the morality of the characters and really raising awareness
Khadidja
I've been in a funk, struggling with sleep in the past few weeks but finally a book got me out of it.

We were best friends once. Then he turned on me and made it his mission to ruin my life. I've been humiliated, shut out, and gossiped about all through high school. His pranks and rumors got more sadistic as time wore on, and I made myself sick trying to stay out of his way. I even went to France for a year, just to avoid him.

This was such an entertaining enemies to lovers story it was hot &
Katerina
Jun 11, 2015 Katerina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katerina by: NiCoLeTa E.
I didn't want light and sweet romance.I needed angst and pain and tears and fights and all kinds of feelings.
And I found them all in Bully.
“This is how bullies are made.”

How bullies are made?Is there a reason for their behavior and the pleasure they find in physically and emotionally abusing innocent people?Do they feel a surge of power when they belittle others?I can't say I was a popular girl in school (you see,I was the geek,the perfect student and that didn't exactly make me Miss Congeni
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
 photo DouglasBullyTitlebySueBee_zps7ec4472a.jpg
 photo tumblr_mj90nm1buO1rdw96to1_500_zpsac62760f.gif
★★★★! Bully, a debut by Penelope Douglas. Broken, jaded & sexy high school senior deals with the aftermath of having bullied a girl he can’t forget!

“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

As the title would indicate this story is about bullying. And as irked and disgust
Rose
Initial thoughts: Not worth the time taken to read. I honestly thought it would be a better read than it actually was - it wasn't terrible in the beginning, but at the same time, as it went on, it glorifies and romanticizes bullying to no end. I have a lot of words to say about this and I'll try to be as constructive as I can about what went wrong with this read after I meditate a bit over it.

Full review:

This is a difficult review for me to write, but I'm going to start this reflection with a fe
Jen
”You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

For 3 years Jared has been making Tate’s life a living hell. He taunts her at every turn, makes up nasty stories about her and threatens any guy that even tries to get close to her. The kicker? Tate and Jared were once the best of friend
Maggie
❝There was a time when I had all of his attention and loved it. As much as I wanted him to leave me alone, I also liked how he seemed surprised. I liked the way he was looking at me right now. And then I remembered that I hated him.❞

Bully wasn't really that enjoyable. It was filled with too much drama, annoying characters that deserve to be punched in the face, and wasted time. It was enjoyable when Jared changed, but the beginning of it was boring and not interesting. I've never heard of this
Mo
Nov 01, 2013 Mo rated it really liked it
This is how bullies are made

This one was all over my feeds a few months ago but I think I had been burned by jumping in and reading a FIVE star book that turned out to be only OK for me. So I decided to wait a while before starting this one. Was it good? Yes, it was. I am now 48 = when I started it I sort of said, Maura, do you really want to be reading books about kids who are younger than your son and THIRTY YEARS younger than you??? Not really, but went for it.

This is how bullies are made
♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥
Jun 20, 2013 ♥~♥Geri Reads ♥~♥ rated it really liked it
4.5 surprising stars

Wow! This book really took me by surprise. I haven't read YA in a while but this was a freebie on Amazon right now, so I one-clicked it. I was intrigued by the premise and at the same time cautious because the bullying thing might be too much for me to handle. But I ended up really, really liking it.

What I liked

- I loved the writing. It has great dialogue and really well developed characters. The story didn't lag. There were no wasted dialogue or purple prose which seems to
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
Jun 22, 2013 Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie rated it really liked it

This is how bullies are made.

With a love for cars, racing and rainy days, Tate and Jared were inseparable. They were the perfect picture of friendship. And when Jared comes back from a summer with his father Tate expects everything to be like it was.
She was wrong.
Her sweet best friend is now gone and in place is a cruel version of him. A bully. And his target? Her.
Fortunately she gets the chance to study in France her junior year, the only problem is that in a year, she’ll have to come bac
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Find me on Instagram & Twitter!
❝Yesterday lasts forever.
Until you.❞

As some of you may remember, my experience with my first Penelope Douglas book was disastrous. I absolutely despised Corrupt and I almost promised to never to pick up a book by Penelope Douglas ever again if Corrupt was any indication of what her other books were about. But everyone kept telling me to go for Bully because it seemed to be everyone's favorite.

After putting it off for about a year, I fin
Smitten's Book Blog

Squeeeeeee!!! Freakin' awesome!

I absolutely love love loved this book. This is the definition of a hate-to-love story and it totally rocked. I could not put it down.

I was really craving a book that would make me stop everything I was supposed to be doing and devour every word... and that's exactly what Bully did!

I'd heard the hype about this book and seen lots of my book buddies giving it great reviews and five stars, so I knew I had to give a shot asap. And I'm
Andie
LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! 5 STOMACH KNOTTING STARS!

Although it was hard to watch the torment this girl goes through at the hand of one boy, I absolutely loooved this book!! It was so well written, it was hard for me to believe this was a debut novel. I started Bully around midnight two nights ago to help tire my eyes out. Well one thing led to another and next thing I knew, it was 5:00 am. Sleep was completely forgotten as I made my way through the entire book in one sitting! I couldn't stop reading eve
Farah *Professor Dean's Beauty*

WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK!!

It was soooo good that I was hooked to it the entire day!!

Its quite refreshing to read a book where the heroine isn't annoying or weak.
I can quite honestly say that I loved it all!

Tate is a 17year old girl who was being bulled in school- but not by just anyone- by someone she used to call her best friend- Jared.

"His chocolate eyes glowed with confidence and mischief."
"I loved that
His toned arms and chest just made me wonder what his skin felt like.
I loved that.
He made me f
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Gah, another tough one to review. I don't understand quite a few things that occurred. Really. And I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. A lot of this just didn't make any logical sense.

Jared and Tate used to be besties. The summer of their 14th year, Jared goes to stay with his father for a few weeks and comes home different. Now he hates Tate. When the book begins, they're both 16, and Jared has spent two years bullying Tate. He's also enlisted the help of his friend, Madoc. No one r
Natasha is a Book Junkie
“You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all of those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a f*cking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.”

For someone who likes to think that she has somewhat ‘outgrown’ the New Adult genre, once in a blue moon, there comes an author who makes me question that self-proclamation and fall in love with it all over again. In one of my spur-of-
✝✝ Ⓓaisy ❣ Hearts Cole, Lucas, Jesse  & James ✝✝
At 50% of this book, I was wanting to

photo tumblr_moqs8bFKiw1s9jeaxo1_500.gif

By the end I came to end I was

photo tumblr_mopde07bZ11qifjejo1_500.gif

and at the same time, I was

photo tumblr_m6eahcLQNr1ru6dkno1_500.gif

BULLY hooked me from page one, and it felt almost like a night-time teen drama. The story has a bit of everything. It was just enough angst-filled drama for me. I felt I was in deep enough but not too deep, and I liked the pacing of it, too.

photo tumblr_mkv1nc5O0Q1rijbg1o1_500.gif

And yes, this hero is mean to the heroine, but he does redeem himself for me.

photo tumblr_mqybcbdvd01rqvcn3o1_500.jpg

Well written, loved the characters, the plot kept me turning the page, I adore
mark monday
Feb 16, 2014 mark monday marked it as unread-forever
Shelves: romantika
so nice to see the topic of bullying being turned into a romance! that is definitely the way to deal with bullies. they just need hugs and kisses and your virginity! poor misunderstood bullies. Jared the manly wittle bully with daddy issues just needs to be wuved by someone. bullies just pick on you because they are secretly in love with you. why even bring up the idea that bullying can cause kids to kill themselves. that's not romantic, yuck!

in the words of one of our top reviewers:

"This may ma
New Adulting Central: Questions for the Live Show. 3 39 Mar 31, 2017 07:11PM
New Adulting Central: * General thoughts on the book. (No spoilers) 21 69 Feb 22, 2017 10:23AM
Book about character who are still in Highschool 15 165 Dec 29, 2015 01:18PM
Is there any books similar to this? 40 2359 Sep 13, 2015 06:53PM
in-love-bff 2 74 Apr 22, 2015 01:09PM
  • Josh & Hannah (Redwood Falls, #1)
  • Ricochet (Addicted, #1.5)
  • Broken and Screwed 2 (BS, #2)
  • Beautiful Broken Rules (Broken #1)
  • Fighting Fate (Granton University, #1)
  • Going Under
  • Beneath the Burn
  • On Every Street (The Artists Trilogy, #0.5)
  • There is No Light in Darkness (Darkness, #1)
  • Surviving Raine (Surviving Raine, #1)
  • Before Now (Sometimes Never, #2)
  • Love Me Never (Lovely Vicious, #1)
  • More Than This (More Than, #1)
  • Tangled
  • Killing Sarai (In the Company of Killers, #1)
  • Sanctuary of Mine
  • Very Bad Things (Briarwood Academy, #1)
  • A Girl by Any Other Name
Penelope Douglas is a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal bestselling author living in Las Vegas with her husband and their daughter. When she's not writing, you'll find her cleaning her house or cruising Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Her books include the Fall Away series (Bully, Until You, Rival, Falling Away, and Aflame). Please look for her recent standalones, Corrupt, Misc ...more
More about Penelope Douglas...

Fall Away (4 books)
  • Rival (Fall Away, #2)
  • Falling Away (Fall Away, #3)
  • Aflame (Fall Away, #4)

“I like storms. Thunder torrential rain, puddles, wet shoes. When the clouds roll in, I get filled with this giddy expectation. Everything is more beautiful in the rain. Don't ask me why. But it’s like this whole other realm of opportunity. I used to feel like a superhero, riding my bike over the dangerously slick roads, or maybe an Olympic athlete enduring rough trials to make it to the finish line. On sunny days, as a girl, I could still wake up to that thrilled feeling. You made me giddy with expectation, just like a symphonic rainstorm. You were a tempest in the sun, the thunder in a boring, cloudless sky. I remember I’d shovel in my breakfast as fast as I could, so I could go knock on your door. We’d play all day, only coming back for food and sleep. We played hide and seek, you’d push me on the swing, or we’d climb trees. Being your sidekick gave me a sense of home again. You see, when I was ten, my mom died. She had cancer, and I lost her before I really knew her. My world felt so insecure, and I was scared. You were the person that turned things right again. With you, I became courageous and free. It was like the part of me that died with my mom came back when I met you, and I didn’t hurt if I knew I had you. Then one day, out of the blue, I lost you, too. The hurt returned, and I felt sick when I saw you hating me. My rainstorm was gone, and you became cruel. There was no explanation. You were just gone. And my heart was ripped open. I missed you. I missed my mom. What was worse than losing you, was when you started to hurt me. Your words and actions made me hate coming to school. They made me uncomfortable in my own home. Everything still hurts, but I know none of it is my fault. There are a lot of words that I could use to describe you, but the only one that includes sad, angry, miserable, and pitiful is “coward.” I a year, I’ll be gone, and you’ll be nothing but some washout whose height of existence was in high school. You were my tempest, my thunder cloud, my tree in the downpour. I loved all those things, and I loved you. But now? You’re a fucking drought. I thought that all the assholes drove German cars, but it turns out that pricks in Mustangs can still leave scars.” 638 likes
“Yesterday lasts forever.