Start by marking “Here We Are Now: The Lasting Impact of Kurt Cobain” as Want to Read:
Here We Are Now: The Lasting Impact of Kurt Cobain

Here We Are Now: The Lasting Impact of Kurt Cobain

Charles R. Cross, author of the highly regarded, bestselling Kurt Cobain biography Heavier Than Heaven, examines the legacy of the Nirvana frontman and takes on the question: why does Kurt Cobain still matter so much, 20 years after his death?
Published March 18th 2014 by It Books (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Here We Are Now, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here We Are Now

Bunny
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-14
I didn't start out a Nirvana fan. My sister was four years older than me, and she would blast "Smells Like Teen Spirit", and I would be annoyed.

To be fair, I still don't much care for that song. It wasn't until "All Apologies" that I covertly started paying attention to what she was listening to. I recall being in a car with her, and her best friend, singing along quietly. Her friend told my sister I was cool, and my sister grumbled.

I was 11 when he died. Which feels really, really young lookin
Mindy
May 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoirs, read-2014
Reading about one of your favorite bands should not be boring but this book was. I found it difficult to finish and it wasn't even 200 pages. It was more a dissertation on 90's fashion, addiction and suicide than Kurt Cobain. The author wrote a biography of Kurt Cobain called Heavier Than Heaven and maybe that would of been more interesting. This book was just ok and not what I was expecting.
Stacee
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was just going into high school when Nevermind was released and still there when Kurt died. His music is some of the best, was the soundtrack to my teenage years and is something I still listen to quite often.

Overall, the success for Kurt and Nirvana is something that not many artists [if any] have accomplished. HWAN talks about the origin of the word "grunge" as well as the repercussions of it. Such as designers making $6k trench coats replicating Kurt's $5 thrift shop version. Or that Kurt'
Kurt Singer
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Could have used less of the fashion part. Growing up in the Washington, I went to thrift stores for all my flannels. When I saw mall stores selling them I laughed my ass off. The best part was that Kurt didn't even know Teen Spirit was a deodorant.

More entertaining to me was the description of Aberdeen though I laughed when they called the riverfront park along the Wishkah one of Aberdeen's tourist attractions. One of? There are others? Maybe Hoquiam has one, but Aberdeen? The only reason to go
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
I rarely review on here but I couldn't put this book down.
Sure, a lot of it covers my often whiskey fuelled arguments to Nirvana nay-sayers about what Nirvana and Kurt meant even if you're not a fan and the way they drove a change in music culture that we won't see again, but it also deals with the legacy in other areas like the impact on Suicide.
If you are a fan of Kurt Cobain, Nirvana or just the history of music and the way it moves a population then you should read this book, it's well res
cizi
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2018
A legacy of such irony. Fashion being one of them.

"Low-priced flannel shirts saw a boom, moving from the confines of army-navy surplus and outdoor hunting emporiums into trendy youth-oriented boutiques in the mall.

Many styles of jeans began to exhibit the “distressed look” as a premium finish, not a sign of age or wear. People paid extra to get jeans that looked like what Kurt had bought in a thrift store.

Not long after the Grunge look...“heroin chic” came into fashion advertising. Epitomized by
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Amazing read that is well researched with lots of great points and facts that kurt left with fans and the culture he left behind.
Julie
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Here We Are Now by Charles R. Cross is a 2014 Harper Collins publication. I was provided a copy of this book from the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

"When you wake up from your dream, that haunting red Line One button is still flashing, still waiting for you. And he's still gone"

It has been nearly twenty years since Kurt Cobain's death. With the group , Nirvana, about to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, it is fitting that this book takes us back to the
Paul S
Mar 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Solid. Cross, who wrote the definitive (so far, anyway) Kurt Cobain biography Heavier Than Heaven acquits himself well here as he attempts to answer the question of why Kurt Cobain mattered and still matters today. While the book is both slight (177 pages) and lacks a bit of cohesion, it is clearly a personal work for Cross. If the book has a fault, it's that it really doesn't explore the depth of Cobain's musical impact. Maybe that makes sense; there are certainly plenty of other works out ther ...more
James
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Cross is an excellent writer, and I would direct anyone with interest in Kurt Cobain to read his wonderful and definitive biography Heavier Than Heaven. This book, however, is a mish-mash. It's kind of a semi-biographical survey of Cobain, with interspersed elements of modern music, fashion, etc. It's almost a memoir for Cross, even though it doesn't seem intended to be.

The more Cross stresses the lasting impact of Cobain, the more I think he is overplaying his hand. Clearly Cobain was and still
Erin
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Sigh...Charles Cross with his fourth book about Nirvana. Will he ever stop beating a dead horse? This is a thin little volume that tells you nothing new, just the usual PC drivel that was concocted for the press. Apparently Mr Cross has a hard on for someone named Adele that I have never heard of...he mentions this person several times...did she pay for product placement?
Don't waste your time or money on this book. At least with his Cobain Unseen, there were some lovely pictures of Kurt. This j
Daniel Brown
Sep 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Wow, this really stunk. I'm not sure what the author was thinking except for finding ways to pat himself on the shoulder for his link/connection to Cobain, but this was a letdown. I was hoping it would start to click, but it never did. It felt like a high-school essay where he threw a lot of fluff in the book to hit the minimum number of pages to qualify as a book.
Freddy
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
“To understand Kurt you had to understand that there was also something wrong with him, something abnormal, and it was one of the keys to his artistry.”

This isn’t a biography although it presents a good deal of biographical information. Instead, it’s a study of Cobain’s lasting influence in relation to music, culture, fashion, the perception of both Aberdeen and Seattle, and our understanding of drug addiction and suicide. Having written perhaps the best Cobain biography, Heavier Than Heaven, Cr
Robert Irish
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is really only for serious fans of Nirvana who are stuck in the 1990's thinking that Kurt Cobain is still somehow vitally important. It is written with too much earnestness, and too little perspective on the world. There are some interesting nuggets about Cobain's legacy, and particularly the discussion of how his suicide actually created a temporary drop in the suicide rate rather than the copycat effect. I think I'd have been better off just listening to Nirvana, rather than this aud ...more
Garrett
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Insightful and delivered from a first-person front row seat to most of the proceedings, Cross's book will make you miss Kurt, make you re-frame your opinions of Courtney, and maybe take down this stupid conspiracy theory once and for all. Most importantly, though, it does what it says on the tin; evaluates the lasting effects of Cobain's short life on music, fashion, pop culture, drugs (and how we deal with them) and suicide (and how we goddamn well deal with that). Short tand to the point, a so ...more
Andrew
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music
This book briefly looks at Cobain's life to discuss 90's fashion, drug addition and suicide. I grew up in the 90s and enjoyed the grunge scene. However, this book did not resonate with me. The book is brief and well-written. However, the discussion of trends and impact felt a bit superficial. A more in-depth biography of Cobain & Nirvana would have vastly improved this book. After further reading, I have found that the author also wrote a a full biography of Kurt Cobain called Heavier Than H ...more
Natalie Coker
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I’m sure this was Courtney washed, but it does hit on the lasting impact Kurt has had in various areas. It’s not trying to be a true biography, it’s focusing on his impact, everything from the obvious (the music) to the not so obvious (fashion). After reading, I feel it all clicked and now I see the evidence of his impact.
Suraj
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Always a delight to read about one of the most iconic rock star to bring about so much change an influence on the life of his avid followers.
Jesse Dula
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting look at one writers view of the legacy of Kurt Cobain. Nothing ground breaking here. It's a fast read. All in all, worth the time.
Michael
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this in 2 days.Kurt rules.
Dave
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
As expected, Cross does a good job distilling why any of this matters...then or now.
Melissa Jones
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-not-read
Not my typical type of reading material, however Kurt was one of my favorite artists. Reading seemed like I was aloud to get into some of his private moments. I wanted to know more, I kept reading. Each page learning something different.
Sarah -  All The Book Blog Names Are Taken
Cross is obsessed with still giving Courtney positive publicity, and Adele. I dig Adele but please stop comparing her to Kurt, or 21 to Nevermind (even though In Utero is my favorite album).

Full review to come. Cross needs to stop cashing in on his loose connection to one if the greatest musicians of all time. Fuck this guy.

+++++++++++++++++

My book blog ---> http://allthebookblognamesaretaken.bl... (where I also included the footage of Kurt Loder news report, as well as one of my favorite Nir
Travis
Jul 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Finish date: 7/12/2014

Unsurprisingly much is being made this year (2014) about the 20th anniversary of Kurt Cobain's suicide. Mostly this involves retrospectives, album re-releases, and a lot of analysis about the impact Nirvana and Cobain had on music. This book, "Here We Are Now", attempts to illustrate how much Cobain influenced all factors of modern life: music, fandom, the music business, the fashion industry, and the treatment of addiction and suicide.

Cobain's influence on music, fandom, a
Jewelianne
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nostalgic gen x-ers, Nirvana fans
This book is not a biography of Kurt Cobain or of Nirvana. There are plenty of those available already. (You can find most of them on my "Seattle" bookshelf here on Goodreads.) Instead, this book examines the ways that Kurt Cobain's life and death have continued to have an effect on various aspects of our culture in the twenty years since his death. It's a really interesting book, although there are times that I wonder if Cross is sometimes reaching. It's obvious that Kurt Cobain had a huge impa ...more
Steen
Aug 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Kurt Cobain passed away in April 1994. I was just finishing up my first year of high school. I loved Nirvana back then and I still love them just as much today. The are constantly played on the local rock radio station here as well.

It is sad that he felt the only option he had was to end his life. He was way to young (27) and had so much left to give. It raises an important point that mental illness is nothing to take lightly, that it is something that a lot of people suffer with silently.

"Kurt
Rob
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It remains eternally shocking how quickly years pass as we grow older, and so the main reference points during those years always get an added significance. The suicide of Kurt Cobain was a moment that hit hard in 1994 and anyone following/making music at the time felt its chill. And now 20 years have gone by - I kid you not - in which the chill is no less palpable. It wasn't misadventure or bacchanalia (Morrison, Hendrix, Joplin, Jones etc etc), but suicide. And Cobain, despite only having 3 fu ...more
James Sorensen
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book as part of the Goodreads first-read program.

Being an older reader I did not know much about Kurt Cobain or Nirvana as a group. Although NOT a biography this book was a very informative look into the life and societal influence of Mr. Cobain.
I think reading this book makes Mr. Cross's other book about Kurt Cobain, a biography titled "Heavier Than Heaven", a must read.

This book looks at how Kurt Cobain and Nirvana has left a lasting mark on society through his music and subsequent
Bill
Feb 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
This was a good examination of the continuing influences of Kurt Cobain, but it felt more like a series of feature articles from "Rolling Stone" than a book. Each of the chapters dealt with one major topic. This style made reading the book very easy. You got to concentrate on one thing at a time.

Here We Are Now is not a biography and doesn't want to be. It talks about things like Cobain's suicide and examines how it may have actually saved lives. How his complete lack of money and very skinny bo
Byron
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
A cheapo followup to the acclaimed Cobain biography, which I've yet to read umpteen years after the fact, this was obviously timed to coincide with the 20-year(!) anniversary of his death. This could have just as easily been a not-particularly-long (by serious magazine standards) magazine story, but I'm not mad at it. I've come to enjoy these nonfiction books that fall somewhere in between a magazine article and a proper book. Not all topics demand to be written about at such length, and everyon ...more
  • Pearl Jam: Place/Date
  • This Music Leaves Stains: The Complete Story of the Misfits
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan : Caught in the Crossfire
  • I, Bificus
  • I'm Awesome: One Man's Triumphant Quest to Become the Sweetest Dude Ever
  • 1963: The Year of the Revolution
  • Screaming Life: A Chronicle of the Seattle Music Scene
  • All the Madmen: Barrett, Bowie, Drake, the Floyd, the Kinks, the Who and the Journey to the Dark Side of English Rock
  • The Paths We Choose: A Memoir
  • Metallica: This Monster Lives: The Inside Story of Some Kind of Monster
  • The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten, 1960-1980
  • Shut Up and Give Me the Mic
  • Cobain
  • The Godfather of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Time Out of Mind: The Lives of Bob Dylan
  • The Hippest Trip in America: Soul Train and the Evolution of Culture & Style
  • No Slam Dancing, No Stage Diving, No Spikes: An Oral History of the Legendary City Gardens
  • Sexplosion: How a Generation of Taboo Busters Remade Pop Culture