Start by marking “The Wedding Bees: A Novel of Honey, Love, and Manners” as Want to Read:
The Wedding Bees: A Novel of Honey, Love, and Manners

The Wedding Bees: A Novel of Honey, Love, and Manners

Sugar Wallace did not believe in love at first sight, but her bees did. . . .

Every spring Sugar Wallace coaxes her sleepy honeybee queen—presently the sixth in a long line of Queen Elizabeths—out of the hive and lets her crawl around a treasured old map. Wherever the queen stops is their next destination, and this year it's New York City.

Sugar sets up her honeybees on the
Published January 28th 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published March 1st 2013)

Carole
Loved this sweet story of Sugar, her bees, and the quirky occupants of the apartment building she moved into. A light, fun read, I didn't want to end. Loved the characters. Fans of Sarah Addison Allen and Barbara ONeal will enjoy this story with a bit of magical realism.
Sally906
THE WEDDING BEES was a wonderful Sunday afternoon read along with a glass or two of New Zealand Pinot Noir – author Sarah-Kate Lynch is from NZ after all.

I really related to the subject of bee keeping because we had a hive in our back yard – not ours we were just minding it as we had a particular flowering tree in our yard. I asked the bee keeper if there was anything I needed to do (other than let them run free in my trees) and he said all I had to do was go down to the hive and chat to them e
Katie/Doing Dewey
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
As Leah at Books Speak Volumes once described a book, starting The Wedding Bees was like sinking into a warm bath. The writing is just so beautiful! It’s lovely, warm, vivid, charming – perfect for the story of a Southern girl like Sugar. When I first read a post by Kayla at The Thousand Lives, I didn’t get what she meant about wanting authors to write with more color. Since then, I’ve read several books, including this one, where the author describes things using more color. And I love it! The ...more
DeB MaRtEnS
I could pun myself through this review...but that would be in bad taste. Ouch! It's difficult not to have a little fun with a novel so imbued with honey, the power of the substance and its by-products and the bees themselves - Oh - and a main character called "Sugar".

Where I came upon this title I cannot recall - likely when I was in my "cooking in the books" phase- and I guess I long ago requested it from the library and forgot about it. Well, the copy I have is brand new, so I guess the libra
Leona
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Very sweet. I loved the secondary character development.
Gina
Sep 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable! Made the reader feel good inside and wrapped up everything in a pretty box which is exactly the way I like it.
Penny McGill
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Going to have to put this one in the category of 'all-time-favourites' because the author strikes an incredible balance between too quirky and just quirky enough. The bees in this story are actual bees as the main character makes her living by being a bee keeper and selling the things she makes from honey and pollen. That should attract all of the slow food folks, I hope.. because this book is the kind of vacation from everyday that all people deserve.

I always like a book where the author is abl
Anna
As women, I feel that too often we care for and nurture others, but hide the places within ourselves that need soothed. That describes Cheri-Lynn "Sugar" Wallace. Following her departure from Charleston, SC, she and her bees have followed the whim of the queen bee and moved to somewhere new each year. Her latest address is in "Alphabet City", a diverse cultural section of New York City. Filled with personalities, Sugar befriends and guides her neighbors. She blesses them with fellowship and balm ...more
Lela
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a light, fun, easy read. I needed that after finishing "The Sellout!" It is about bad love, lost family, good friends, bees, honey, self-esteem, strength, manners, compassion, & really good love. I think it deserves a 3.5 but not really a 4.
Sezza
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Started at 7am and stayed in bed reading till I finished at 1pm, which is pretty much unheard of for me. Such loveable characters, I laughed and I cried. And I am left wanting more.
Eileen Goudge
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Sweet Read

I really enjoyed this novel about a beekeeper. The perfect bedtime reading, guaranteed to give sweet dreams. It has a lot of heart with quirky, well-drawn characters and a satisfying ending.
Katherine
What a delightful book! I picked this up at a time when I needed something sweet and uplifting to read―this turned out to be the perfect thing, The characters are wonderfully drawn, quirky though still realistic enough to make you feel they could be people you might know and the writing is witty but wise, a difficult combination to achieve in my opinion. Ms. Lynch also has a true gift for atmosphere, I felt as though I were there in Manhattan's bohemian Alphabet City or in Charleston, breathing ...more
Kathryn
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Such a fun read. A little bit of magic with the bees along with friendship and love. A light read perfect for hot summer days.
Sharon Redfern
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a charming book that I was sad to see it end. Sugar Wallace has landed in NYC and moves into a fifth floor apartment in a marginal area of the city. While moving in, she helps an elderly man who falls in the park and meets the handsome man standing next to him named Theo Fitzgerald. Sugar had a bad experience with romance years before and even though she feels a spark when she meets Theo, she rebuffs his attempts to develop a relationship.
Sugar's bees are sort of her guardian angel
Nynke-Boudien
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honingzoete dagen vond ik een heel erg leuk en verrassend boek! Geen typische chicklit, maar een fijn verhaal dat je soms het gevoel van een sprookje geeft. Kan niet anders dan dat je hoofdpersoon Sugar en haar bijen in je hart sluit na het lezen van dit boek.
joyce g
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written story of love, all kinds. Sweet with characters you adore.
Sophie
May 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik moest even in het verhaal komen in het begin maar het einde van het boek maakt dat meer dan goed!
Krystal
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a cute book! It's about kindness, what it means to be a neighbor and friend and enjoying life. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I finished it;)
Menna van Praag
Sep 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book!! Perfect blend of enchanting & magical - now I'm filling my shelves with the rest of her books, I'm delighted to see she's written LOTS more, I'm sure they'll all be wonderful!!
Chris Conley
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book filled with terrific characters. One of the stars of the book is the honey! I look forward to more lovely stories from Ms. Lynch.
Marleen
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are days that I crave re-reading a solidly uplifting and sweetly captivating book, and The Wedding Bees is one of those. It's still as charming and full of wit as I remember it. There's a stylized quality to it, like watching Amélie Poulain. The wonderful Sugar Wallace, who fled Charleston fifteen years ago, is arriving in New York City's Alphabet City, with her beehive and bees, and is determined to work her magic on soothing the aches of the soul, the mind and the body, and all that with ...more
Alicia Prevost
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Well this book was...quirky. And entirely charming.

In short, it wasn't at all what I expected, it was better.

Honestly, I went in thinking fun little chick lit, and it is. It so very much reads like a modern day fairy tale. The love story, how it plays out, how the bees play into it all, it's like a Disney movie for grown ups.

But with so much more depth than I ever imagined. The characters that make up this story are all so vivid and complex and fun to get to know. They all have so much baggage a
Heidi
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club-books
I don’t know what it is about honey bees but I love stories with honey bees as characters. This one was no different. I liked how the queen bee is given a name and a personality but found the few passages from her point of view a little disappointing. I would have liked to have been left to intuit her thoughts for myself and only seen her actions as she led the bees. It would have added more to the conflict. As it was I wasn’t overly concerned about Sugar’s bee dilemma because Elizabeth the Sixt ...more
Mindy Conde
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
This was a fun and quick read. It had a lot of fun and quirky characters, which added a lot of interest and variety. Sadly though, I have to admit that the main love interest was a bit infuriating for a good one to two thirds of the novel. Our main character, Sugar, is great at doling out advice, but she is absolutely awful at managing her own love life and I basically wanted to wring her neck for being such an idiot for so long. During these moments though there were lots of other things going ...more
Kathryn
What a honey of a book. I was originally enticed into this book by the US edition with its warm tones, however as I read the book I came to love this cover too. Sugar is a treasure and the amazing 'family' of people she gathered around her was endearing and satisfying. As it says on the cover - a novel of honey, love and manners. So this book if read would probably up the sales of many honey places, I know I have googled it and may yet spend some serious money on some items.

So The Wedding Bees -
Kaye
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book to the moon and back. Fun quirky characters living in a delightful old house turned into apartments in Alphabet City, NY, food, and even a taste of the south. All things I love. And some hysterical dialogue. It's a funny story without trying too hard to be funny. It's sweet without being overly so. I think it's "just right." And the bees! Oh my, I fell totally head over heals in love with the bees.

I think this was the first books I've read by Sarah-Kate Lynch, but I'm going to
Leslie
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I needed a light read to lift my spirits and this book fit the bill. Sugar was definitely different and I loved her. I am now in the mood for honey and biscuits and a trip to Charleston. And I want to go out and volunteer for something. This is a feel good book and I plan to re-read it sometime soon.
HoboWannaBe
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since I almost exclusively read historical fiction, this book was a perfect summer read— lighthearted and happy. The characters were intriguing. Bring a Southern girl, I could relate to it all. I’m learning, as the main character did, that family really are the people you live the most ~ related by blood or not. Cute author’s note at end that endears you to the author.
Natalia Iwanyckyj
I considered putting down this book when I saw that the MC was named Sugar. "Not for me," I thought. So glad I kept reading because The Wedding Bees is a charming, magical, feel-good, well-written novel. I loved the many wonderful characters and that story lines were so beautifully resolved. Just finished reading and feeling all happy.
Cathy Daniel
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK! Cutest story ever and funny too! Just turned me to mush :D this would be the perfect chick flick! I want to see this made into a movie! I've already ordered another book by this author!
  • The All You Can Dream Buffet
  • The Secret Ingredient of Wishes
  • Salting Roses
  • Vanity Fare
  • The Dress Shop of Dreams
  • How Sweet It Is (Heart of Carolina #2)
  • Christmas on Ladybug Farm (Ladybug Farm #3.5)
  • The Bake-Off
  • Angelina's Bachelors
  • Wedding Girl
  • The Memory of Lemon
  • Memory House (Memory House, #1)
  • When Autumn Leaves
  • The Guestbook
Sarah-Kate Lynch is quite a cranky journalist of several decades who prefers making things up to recording them accurately. This is not very good if you are a journalist, which may explain (a) the crankiness and (b) why she now writes novels.

She also writes two columns in the New Zealand Woman's Day, New Zealand's best-selling weekly magazine. One is about nothing and the other is about travel.

Sar
“I've envied you over the years, carving out a different life for yourself, going where the wind blows you. That takes guts."
For the briefest sliver in time, the world shimmered and Sugar saw her life as an enviable jewel: a shining gem radiating energy and possibility that no one but she would ever possess, no matter what its deficiencies.”
0 likes
“Sugar had grown up in Charleston, South Carolina: possibly the most luscious of the world's garden cities. Behind every wrought-iron gate or exposed-brick wall in the picturesque peninsula blooming between the Ashley and Cooper Rivers lay a sweet-scented treasure trove of camellias, roses, gardenias, magnolias, tea olives, azaleas and jasmine, everywhere, jasmine.
With its lush greenery, opulent vines, sumptuous hedgerows and candy-colored window boxes, it was no wonder the city's native sons and daughters believed it to be the most beautiful place on earth.
In her first years of exile Sugar had tried to cultivate a reminder of the luxuriant garden delights she had left behind, struggling in sometimes hostile elements to train reluctant honeysuckle and sulky sweet potato vines or nurture creeping jenny and autumn stonecrop.”
0 likes