Start by marking “Big Girl Panties” as Want to Read:
Big Girl Panties

Big Girl Panties

3.46  ·  Rating details ·  20,687 ratings  ·  2,536 reviews
Big Girl Panties by Stephanie Evanovich is a rollicking and poignant romantic comedy about a young widow who decides to get in shape...and winds up getting her groove back--and a whole lot more! Holly Brennan used food to comfort herself through her husband's illness and death. Now she's alone at age thirty-two. And she weighs more than she ever has. When fate throws her i ...more
Published January 21st 2014 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published June 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Big Girl Panties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Girl Panties

·  20,687 ratings  ·  2,536 reviews

Start your review of Big Girl Panties
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I'll be honest here; I'm a bit sensitive when it comes to stories where "weight" is an issue because... frankly, not everyone is unhappy with their numbers, regardless of what society tells them they're supposed to be. I hate the 'preachy' feel of some books, and the 'you can't possibly be happy the way you are' ignorant, judgmental ideas floating around out there. So, for these reasons, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I began reading Big Girl Panties, but what I got was a laugh out loud
Katie(babs)
Apr 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book had the makings of a great romance but it's was poorly written, very stilted and the non stop head jumping between the hero and heroine on the same page was ridiculous. The love scenes were horrible, so not sexy at all. The fat shaming by the hero toward the heroine and those around him was very uncomfortable. It appears the heroine is 80lbs overweight, and even when she loses half her weight and we're told she had more muscle than fat and is lean, the men in this book still think she' ...more
Chris
Jul 03, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
****CONTAINS SPOILERS, SORT OF*****

The title of this book should have been warning enough but I wanted to read something different than my usual genres. Stephanie Evanovich clearly has the ability to write humorous, sexy romance and I would have give this book 3 stars if it weren't for the completely offensive characterization of Holly, the main character. After seeing her young husband through a grueling death, Holly is overweight and depressed -- understandably so -- but she also has a great s
Hannah (Vamp of Savannah)
I received this book as an ARC and it has got to be one of the worst books I have ever read. And that is saying something...
I went ahead and finished the book just in case my initial instincts were wrong (they weren't), or that the book would take a turn for the better (it didn't).

The only thing I could think when I read the last page was :"Seriously? They just publish anything that walks across the desk these days don't they?"

What kind of message does this send to women? That you'll never be
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm Myrtle Beach
I really wish I would have looked at the rating and reviews before I read this book. I could have saved myself a lot of annoyance and time.

The characters were all obnoxious, the dialogue was inane, and the book just wasn't good.

2 stars instead of 1 because I didn't hate it. The second half of the book was marginally better than the first, but I have no desire to continue with this series.
Tia Bach
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NOTE: I've seen a lot of negative comments about how this novel handles weight. I thought the characters grew in acceptance. Yes, Logan starts out with some negative thoughts, but he overcomes them. And Amanda does nothing but accept Holly from the beginning (and Amanda is mentioned as not being some model stick figure either). Please consider reading all the reviews, and not just the negative ones, when making your book buying decisions. HUGS!

When Holly's husband died, she turned to food as an
Amy
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It can't be easy for writers to have a plus-sized heroine.

You know it's true, so don't even bother getting your hackles up. When you picture a heroine, you picture a woman with a lingerie model's physique, not someone who last wore a bikini when she was seven. You know it's true.

So imagine being a writer and wanting to do away with this mindset. Your fair maiden packs on a few extra pounds, but she's smart and sassy and vulnerable and gorgeous despite what the scales say. She deserves the hot du
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Being a Big girl I tend to want to read novels written in the perspective of a bigger girl. The concept of putting on Big Girl Panties is common for me for both physically and emotionally. It's hard growing up big without developing some thick skin in the process.

I expected this novel to be as hilarious as its jacket read it would be. I was disappointed. I kept waiting to laugh out loud and my closest reaction was probably a half smirk. Beyond this, I expected the usual chick lit romance elemen
Mandi Kaye Ottaway
Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archive...

This book had so much potential. But honestly, it just made me mad. The only message this book sent was that overweight women are broken and don’t deserve love until they’re fixed.

This is an unacceptable view of women.

Even while part of me enjoyed the romance aspect of the novel – who doesn’t enjoy a good romance? – I found myself loathing every part of the book because it said that Holly wasn’t worth love until she was beautiful by society’s s
Anna Lisa
Probably some spoilers here, so you're warned.

This book was terrible; chick lit at its worst. The writing was so cliched I couldn't stand it. I give props for a decidedly different kind of heroine (read: physically realistic), but I'm so tired of reading about female main characters who live and die by the acceptance of the men in their lives. And of course she has to be "saved" in the end. I didn't find this book empowering, or that it did anything to stand against the hackneyed and insulting p
review posted on Got Fiction? Books

DNF due to the fat-shaming.

I had a hard time getting passed that. I tried to skip to the end to see if it got better, and I just couldn't get how in the world this guy was considered the "hero" of the book?

Basically Logan is a personal trainer and Holly is overweight. They sit on a flight next to each other and from the get-go Logan the Jackwagon is mentally groaning "Oh poor me, I'm sitting next to a fat person. wah wah wah."

Okay, well, if he had changed his
Bianca
Oops. I got names mixed up, as I do. I thought I was borrowing a Janet Evanovich book.
Oh, well... This was an OK distraction for when doing chores.
Gorgeous demigod, personal trainer dude, with all his faculties and hormones intact, falls for the average, overweight Holly. If that doesn't scream escapist fiction I don't know what does.
Susan Tunis
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephanie Evanovich… Stephanie Evanovich… Why does that name sound so familiar?

Yeah, you won’t find it in her official bio, but Stephanie is, in fact, the niece of that other well-known literary Evanovich. Good news! Her debut novel, the cleverly-titled Big Girl Panties, should find favor with Aunt Janet’s fans. When I heard the premise of the novel, my first thought was of Jennifer Weiner, and while Evanovich isn’t the seasoned pro that Weiner is, it’s another good comparison. Zaftig heroine +
Mtromano
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

So many issues with this book, from the writing, to the story, to the plot.
Fat, sad girl gets noticed by hero, who is invested in her transformation. Once she is an acceptable (but not ideal weight) he admits attracted to her, and since she is not perfect, he tries to date her secretly. Some effort was made to make this conflict believable without making him a complete d-bag, but I never believed it. Too much of the middle is glossed over in exposition and in sex scenes that
Chan
Feb 14, 2020 rated it liked it
We get it. She's HUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEE!

I enjoyed the girl power and trying to take control of your life. But why be with someone who is embarrassed by you. Someone who is struggling to accept you for who you are.

Logan, the hero, was kind of shallow and sometimes the heroine came off as too accepting. Also, I don't want to hear narration of Logan with another woman. Not cool. There are also some very long inner monologues that became boring.

But that revenge though!!! Yes, honey!
Debra
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Brennan has no idea what she's in for when she steps on a plane coming back from a business meeting in Toronto. When she's seated next to Logan Montgomery, she catches his slight whiff of disdain over her body, and the logistics of sitting next to an overweight woman. Logan, a personal trainer with his own gym, impulsively takes Holly on as his "project," which results in so much more than Logan's own personal version of The Ugly Duckling with a little Pygmalion thrown in.

Filled with humor
Alissa
Raised my eyebrows when there was a pretty explicit sex scene 18 pages in. Apparently 50 shades has influenced more writers.
I tried to like this, and failed. The switching of POV mid paragraph made for confusing, jarring reading. There were three pretty explicit sex scenes that were cliche. There is the fat shaming and Logan's weird feelings about Holly's size. And why is it necessary for the secondary characters to have a weird spanking relationship. So nope, can't recommend.

For a much better
N.N. Light
I loved this book so much! It has what all good romantic comedies should have: quirky characters, witty dialogue and romance. Plus, with a title like that, all women should be reading this and getting inspired to put on their big girl panties and grab life by the horns.

My Rating: 5 stars
Nikita
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
vary cute
Adrienne
Nov 07, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Just no.

I only made it to page 18.

Here are some "gems" that await you in just the first 18 pages:

--Page 3: "She...stuffed a...satchel under the seat...and ran her fingers through the rat's nest on her head before sitting in it." So, I guess the protagonist sat on her own head.

--Page 5: Karma is suddenly introduced as a means to explain why the male love interest goes from being a jerk to being, in addition to a perfect physical specimen, both charming and sweet.

--Pages 6-8: More random karma
Ngan
Oct 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted a lighthearted romantic novel that was tastefully done. I should have just picked up a Nicholas Sparks novel since they are reliably romantic and well-written and don't approach the Fifty Shades dom zone. This was not at all what I thought it was going to be; I am sorry I picked it up.

This book is billed as a romantic comedy but it is neither romantic nor funny. It is just depressingly sad. My heart really moved for Holly in the beginning, when she was overweight and wanted to work on h
Sabine
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, audio-2019
I enjoyed listening to this romance during my runs.
It was fun to see how the "ugly duckling" with grit and determination became "almost" a beautiful swan. The characters were very likable and interesting.
I could have done without the sex scenes - not that I am very opposed to sex scenes in general but in most cases I thought more along the lines of: Oh no! Come on, I want to know how the story is going on.
There is quite a bit of body shaming going on but if you can get past that it is a very f
Chelsey
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this a 5 star review not because I think the book is perfect (you'll see below in a minute), but because I absolutely loved the idea of challenging our culture's weight bias.
That, and the writing was funny, entertaining, and the sexual tension was THROUGH THE ROOF! I may need to fan myself...

Okay, here goes.
What I liked:
1) Holly and Logan's relationship. Best part of the book, by far. They had interesting dynamics.
2) Hilarious! I laughed out loud so many times.
3) Logan is sexy as all
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
2.5 Stars

Holly has never been “model thin”, but after losing her husband four years ago, she really started packing on the pounds. Go figure that the one time she has to venture out of her comfort zone (to fly to Canada and finalize one of her late husband’s accounts) she winds up seated next to Logan, a personal trainer to the rich and famous who could fill-in as a Greek god at a moment’s notice. A mixture of pity and curiosity has Logan offering his training services to Holly at a reduced rat
Sherry Fundin
An overweight widow and a hot, sexy personal trainer find they have much in common when they meet on a plane, become friends and learn you can’t judge a book by its cover as they humorously grow and change…and fall in love.
Beth
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What happens when an over weight, 32 year old, widow ends up sitting next to a physical trainer to the stars in coach on the plane...Life changing experiences for both and Big Girl Panties gives you a front row seat.

Logan Mongomery is a trainer to many professional athletes. He is an all around good guy but he's been focused on his appearance and persona for so long that when he finds himself attracted to Holly Brennan, an over weight client, he doesn't know how to deal with his feelings.

Holly B
Andrea Guy
I'm really on the fence with this book. I was super stoked to see that Janet Evanovich's niece had written a book and its a romantic comedy.

The problem for me is it is too much a comedy and not enough romance, mostly because Logan is more than a bit shallow and Holly totally lacks any self esteem. Her parents are elderly hoarders who only want her so she can take care of them. Her husband died of pancreatic cancer...and she's overweight.

ARGH!

Poor Holly.

However she has spunk and that makes things
Maddie
Jul 27, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, fiction
Samantha
2.5

It was cute.

However, I didn't necessarily agree with some of the underlying clichés. Look people, fat is NOT synonymous with ugly. STOP THIS THINKING IMMEDIATELY.

I also don't like or agree with this idea that "women be acting out because they want attention". One character (who is into spanking with his wife) suggests to another character (who has never tried spanking, and whose love interest has never suggested an interest in spanking) that she is just asking for a spanking for acting a ce
Karly
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This was okay as far as romance novels go, but don't expect to be touched by the sentimentality of the story. In fact, it may end up being insulting to some, though I do believe the intent was to motivate and encourage. There was an overwhelming amount of stereotyping (the rich, the overweight, the personal trainers) that made it hard to swallow at times, and the ending was way too simple and predictable for my taste. A quick easy read that is sure to fade easily from memory.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #169 - Big Girl Panties 1 2 Sep 28, 2015 07:33AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Fat lady gets on a plane [s] 6 166 Nov 09, 2014 07:13PM
Stephanie Evanovich 3 45 Aug 13, 2014 07:06PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #18 - Big Girl Panties 1 3 Mar 10, 2014 01:00PM

• Love in a Nutshell (Culhane Family #1)
  • The Husband List (Culhane Family #2)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Meet Cute
  • Foul Play
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • Hero at Large
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • Undercover Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #2)
  • Full Speed (Full, #3)
  • Smitten (Elsie Hawkins #2)
  • The Happy Ever After Playlist
  • The Worst Best Man
  • Full Blast (Full #4)
  • The Friend Zone
  • Full House (Full #1)
  • Country Bride
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
Stephanie Evanovich is a full-fledged Jersey girl who began writing fiction while waiting for her cues during countless community theater projects. She attended New York School of Film and Television and acted in several improvisational troupes and a few small-budget movies, all in preparation for the greatest job she ever had, raising her two sons. Now a full-time writer, she's an avid sports fan ...more