Start by marking “Almost Super (Almost Super, #1)” as Want to Read:
Almost Super (Almost Super, #1)

Almost Super (Almost Super #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  833 Ratings  ·  169 Reviews
Each leap year, on February 29th, at 4:23 p.m., every member of the Bailey family over the age of twelve gets a superpower. No one knows why, and no one questions it. All the Baileys know is that it's their duty to protect the world from those evil, supervillainous Johnsons.

Today, Rafter Bailey and his brother Benny are finally going to get their superpowers. Benny wants t
Published January 21st 2014 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Almost Super, please sign up.
Debra Yes. How can you be a superhero when you have worthless powers? It isn't some special power that makes you special, it is who you are and what you do…moreYes. How can you be a superhero when you have worthless powers? It isn't some special power that makes you special, it is who you are and what you do with your everyday character. Story of friendship between feuding families. Lots of laughs.(less)
Mishal123 Benny and Rafter are probably the two main characters in this AMAZING book!

Faye, la Patata
This was a really, really cute read. It may look simple on the outside, but there are layers and layers underneath full of values that teach about love, understanding, trust, and forgiveness. It's a MG book, but it's something people of all ages can enjoy, especially those who are fans of superheroes, comics, and the like.

So basically, Rafter and Benny are in a family of superheroes who were "chosen by the universe" to save the world from evil. Their dad can fly, their grandfather has superstren
Sandie
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sandie by: Marion Jensen
I have read many children/young adult books over the years. Some bring great imagery with little story. Some bring a great story with foul language. This story was able to bring together great characters, incredibly described scenes, a fun and captivating story, and clean language. I love the lessons learned throughout the book. It taught about love, forgiveness, realizing your full potential, and being the best you that you can be! I enjoyed this book as I know that my kids will. I suggest this ...more
Sara Grochowski
Rafter and Benny Bailey have been waiting for this day, February 29th, since the moment they learned their family was made up of superheroes. The moment the clock hits 4:23pm, Benny and Rafter's lives will forever change as they inherit the superpowers that will allow them to protect their city from the villainous Johnsons. their dreams take a nosedive, however, when the boys end up with rather useless powers, crushing their dreams of supersuits and heroics.

After an encounter with classmate and
Cory Webb
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love Almost Super. The Baileys are everything a superhero family should be--eccentric, courageous, funny, and above all, full of heart. But when Rafter Bailey and his little brother Benny get their superpowers, they're crushed to find that their "super" powers aren't super at all. The Baileys think they protect their city from the evil Johnson family. But Rafter and Benny soon learn a shocking truth from their classmate and nemesis, Juanita Johnson, that forces the brothers to question everyth ...more
David Ballesteros
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Almost Super by Marion Jensen held a great story involving two brothers, Rafter and Benny, of a super hero family who had worthless powers. Their family the Baileys have a rival family the Johnsons who also have a daughter , Juanita, with a worthless power. The trio go through adventures through their family history and headquarters and kids wonder why they have worthless powers. Eventually a super family nobody has ever heard of, the Jones family, has stolen every super hero's power. The maste ...more
Rosalyn Eves
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
My 9 year-old-son read Marion Jensen's Almost Super a few weeks ago--and reread it again the next day he liked it so much. So I figured I should probably see what the appeal was, and after reading, I have to say I get it.

Almost SuperJensen's book has a lot of humor, heart, and action, and if not everything is plausible, well, it's a super hero story.

In the Bailey family, everyone over the age of twelve gets their super power on February 29th at 4:23 p.m. So Rafter and Benny are eagerly awaiti
Sara
An excellent concept. Perfect for book-talking. AA++ will definitely be book-talking for 3rd-5th graders for summer reading.

I really like the idea that just because you see yourself as a hero, other people might not. And that you should probably (view spoiler)

Cute, funny, fast-paced, surprising twists -- just over all entertaining and well done.
Dan
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
A cute & funny super-hero story in which the Baileys fight against the Johnsons (shakes fist) in a never ending battle of good versus evil. Rafter and Benny are about to come into their super-powers on February 29 when something strange happens that may change they way the view superhero and supervillain forever.
Ellen
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, children-s
I actually really liked this. I didn't think I would because the concept sounded ridiculous, but the author is from my hometown so I thought I'd at least give it a try. It's a lot of fun. I laughed out loud a couple of times and enjoyed the three main characters. While the super hero genre is getting pretty cliche, this at least had a couple twists I didn't expect. Great for grades four and up.
Lea
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, funny
This book (which we listened to as an audio) was a challenge for my my 3.5 year old but he loved the subject material (super heroes!) so much he kept at it, even when he was a little confused by the plot. It wasn't too terribly boring for me, either, and I enjoyed the lighthearted humor.
Margot
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Funny, action-packed, and smart. Boys and girls will both love Almost Super.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
What makes a superhero? Is it the superpowers, or is it something greater?
Kate
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great book! While I was reading it my love for "Almost Super" was as everlasting as the war between the Johnsons *shakes fist* and the Baileys *spit* right until the end!
Peter Jones
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
This one surprised me. My wife started it with our son for their evening book. I overheard snippets while reading to our daughter, and decided to read it myself. So while they were at a friend's this morning, I read the whole thing. It was well-written, with a great Incredibles vibe, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now, to just avoid accidental spoilers while they plod thru at a chapter per night...
Megan Overly
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My seven-year-old loved this book! He was home sick one day from school and read half of it. Just the right amount of story telling, funny useless superpowers, and interesting problems for the characters to solve.
Bradley Sabloff
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade
The story deals with a couple of special families and their adventures. The plot moves quickly and the characters are very fun. The book is very well written. My 9 year old daughter recommended this book to me and she loved it too.
Beth
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a little predictable (then again, let's face it, I have way more practice than the target audience), but the world is intriguing and the characters vibrant. My main complaint is that it ends just as it's getting interesting!
Rick Stuckwisch
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a great, fun book. A fast read. Lots of great humor, along with some touching human drama. Loved the characters, and half the family ended up "eavesdropping" as a I read to the youngest two. Cute, and I suppose a little cheesy, but delightful and entertaining.
BUDDY!!!!!?????
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Honestly I read the blurb but I kept having sneaky suspicions that this is Oscar Redding’s secret plan to have the Johnson’s and Baileys fighting and for the Jones family to think 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔that the were the villains and the were winning but the real REAl villain was Oscar Redding………
Ruby Ridge
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
The interactions between the 3 main characters were really good but the feeble plot and supporting characters really let this book down
May read the next and last for closure but I won't rush to buy it
JulieLaLa
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
3.75 stars. Fun and engaging. Very witty dialogue.
Trustin
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars
funny
clean
loved the message and story
Karen
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Battle of the Books 2018
Becky
Really creative funny. I love the crazy super powers that most of the family had.
Mary
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cin
Really cute enjoyable story.
Lori
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter
Rollicking, adventurous, laugh-out-loud funny, smart, sweet, and imaginative.
The Brothers
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Asher (11yo) read.
Katie
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, middle-grade
This was a really cute read. It is funny and has a good message. Great for ages 8+.
Kim Brown
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Odd-ball super hero story.
Erin Pierce
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
We just re-read this one again as a family, and I had forgotten how much we enjoyed it. A clean, fun read that the whole family can enjoy!
  • Spell Robbers (The Quantum League, #1)
  • Dragon on Trial (Menagerie, #2)
  • Oliver and the Seawigs
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • Alien on a Rampage (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #2)
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • The Rain Dragon Rescue (The Imaginary Veterinary, #3)
  • Joshua Dread (Joshua Dread #1)
  • The Luck Uglies (The Luck Uglies, #1)
  • The Last Enchanter  (Celestine Chronicles #2)
  • The Case of the Time-Capsule Bandit (Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective, #1)
  • The Lightning Catcher (The Lightning Catcher, #1)
  • Sidekicked (Sidekicked, #1)
  • The Secret Box (The Secret Box, #1)
  • Diary of a Mad Brownie
  • The League of Unexceptional Children (The League of Unexceptional Children, #1)

Almost Super (2 books)
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
  • Circe
    $13.99 $4.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
  • Everyone Knows You Go Home
    $5.99 $1.99
  • (R)evolution (Phoenix Horizon #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
“Your mother is a shifty knitter.” 1 likes
“Let's go downtown," Dad said. "By the public library. You never know what wild and crazy things might be happening at the library.” 0 likes