Start by marking “Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm” as Want to Read:
Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm

Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm

(Pete the Cat)

New York Times bestselling author and artist James Dean brings us a groovy rendition of the classic favorite children’s song “Old MacDonald Had a Farm,” sung by cool cat Pete and perfect for sing-along time with young readers.

Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm is in a sturdy paper-over-board format and filled with vibrant, engaging illustrations for even the youngest
Published February 18th 2014 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Pete the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pete the Cat

Start your review of Pete the Cat: Old MacDonald Had a Farm
Karin
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it
Very disappointing. Not only is it just the Old MacDonald song with Pete the Cat, it seems like it goes on forever with animals that don't normally appear in the song. It would be fine for the little ones, but really, I don't think they need pictures to prompt them with this song.
debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister
I have no complaints. I love me some Pete the Cat. It’s all good! My young little student laughed and couldn’t wait to flip the pages for this. We had a good time reading it today.
Elaine
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lesson-plans
Too long to sing quickly, but an excellent source for early literacy!
Autumn
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
We picked this book up from the library has A loves Pete the Cat. We have read the books on EPIC and she loves listening to it read. So when we saw this book along with other Pete the Cat books she was excited. Also she is doing better at reading and Pete the Cat books are perfect for her.

In this story we don't have a farmer but we do have Pete the Cat farmer. If your children like the song Old MacDonald Has a Farm this would be a great read for them.
Amanda
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: me-and-ozman
Well this was exactly as it appears on the tin. You don't need a Pete the Cat rendition of Old MacDonald Had a Farm at all. Seems like a quick cash grab to me. Also a looooooooot of repetition.
Jen
Feb 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
eh. This is JUST Old macDonald Had a Farm with cameos of Pete the Cat in the background. I think kids already enjoy Old MacDonald enough to not need Pete the Cat to tempt them into reading/singing it. Also the back of the book says it's an "adaptation" but I don't think that is the right way to describe it. still has cute pictures.
Lydia Rodriguez
May 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-book
This Pete the Cat book was my least favorite. This book was mostly the Old MacDonald song. I was expecting it to have something more unique about it but sadly it did not. Children still love Pete the Cat and love to sing so it a great book for young children.
Samantha
This is Pete the Cat's version of Old MacDonald, nothing new, nothing that makes this especially Pete. Good for a read aloud with PreK-2, though I admit that I'm disappointed that this version doesn't contain anything unique.
Cat Fithian
Yes, it's Pete and he's singing Old MacDonald. Nothing beyond the predictable here. Fans of Pete will like it a lot, and while I am a fan this seems like a half-hearted attempt to make more easy money off this mildly amusing cat character.
David
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked the different animals in this book, and the pictures. And I was surprised that this was a Pete the Cat book.
Storytime Lexie
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: farm
Meh. It's just Pete the Cat singing Old Macdonald. It's fine but if I'm going to read a Pete the Cat book I expect something more.
Parker Catlett-Miller
I could have done with a couple less pages on this one - I was hoarse by the time we finished singing...
Nikki
Sep 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
This is just Old McDonald had a farm. Not how a Pete the Cat book is supposed to go.
Christina
Feb 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kid-books
Hot take: Pete the Cat looks stoned on every page and the text is just the song. Really don't get the appeal. Instead, read this far superior story, a Wikipedia article entitled "Peter, the Lord's cat":

Peter, the Lord's cat (1950 – 5 November 1964), also known as The Marylebone mog,[1] was a cat who lived at Lord's Cricket Ground in London from 1952 to 1964. He is the only animal to be given an obituary in the standard cricket reference book, Wisden Cricketers' Almanack.[2][3][4][5]

The obituary
Darlene Pasquale
Oct 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: songs
1) no awards
2) Appropriate grade levels - toddlers-pre k
3) Summary - This is the classic “Old Macdonald” song with Pete the Cat walking us through the different animals. The book features a few new animals that don’t appear in the traditional version of the song, such as, geese and donkeys. While hearing an old favorite, children can learn about some new animals.
4) Review - This book is engaging because of the fun pictures, however, I do wish there was an added element or twist. I am not sure
Meg McGregor
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pete the Cat, is venturing into new territories! He is creating his own spin on classic nursery rhymes!

This story, is a variation of the nursery rhyme song, "Old MacDonald Had a Farm!"

Lexi read this to her sister; I could hear them singing and giggling three rooms away!

Like Old MacDonald, Pete has lots of animals on his farm!

He has chickens that go cluck-cluck...

dogs that woof-woof here and there...

cows that moo-moo there and here...

pigs that oink -oink-oink...

horses that neigh-neigh...

cats that
Maddi Holmes
I would recommend this book for the early primary grades, kindergarten through first grade. I would categorize it as modern fantasy.

I think students will absolutely love this book! My preschoolers as obsessed with it! It does a great job at repetition, and including rhythm. I love the illustrations too! My only issue, is that I don’t want to have to sing the song the entire time! Good books are meant to be read more than once, but this is a book that I do not like reading more than once a day.
Meredith
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Pete the Cat & all he stands for (stay true to yourself, don't sweat the small stuff, roll with the punches, etc), but this book had none of that. It just has FOURTEEN stanzas of Old MacDanald Had a Farm, with Pete as Old MacDonald. 14 is way too many for a board book. And they were complete stanzas too, with all of the words.
Just out of curiosity, I timed myself reading it out loud to my 2-year-old, and it took a full five minutes. That was without any interruptions or stopping to
Bree
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know Pete the Cat has some catchy new songs. One about some white sneakers in particular, so I was surprised this book wasn’t any different than any other Old MacDonald song. Literally the only Pete the Cat thing is in the illustrations. It felt like a real miss opportunity to make it something new.

Another thing that was a miss for me was how long the book was. It didn’t seem to need to repeat that many times. I felt the little one I watch lose interest when it seemed to keep going and going.
Mama Bibliosoph
These singalong books in the Pete the Cat series don't rock the boat too much with new twists. But that's the point. They are designed to introduce traditional children's songs.

Old MacDonald Had a Farm has perhaps too many verses for some kids (and parents), but the 14 animal verses are a great way to get in a lot of practice labeling common farm and domestic animals and making animal sounds.

---
I review books for children from the perspective of a parent of kids with autism. The review above is
Carina
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a brand new board book at our library and had bright colors and a tractor on the front. I don't know who Pete the Cat is, but the story is just the Old MacDonald song. The book goes on forever - besides the usual cow, pig, horse, and chicken, there is also a turkey, goats, goose, frog, donkey, and more.
Becky B
Pete the Cat drives through the farm meeting animals and singing the song "Old MacDonald Had a Farm."

This is completely just the song with Pete the Cat in the illustrations and some possibly unusual animal additions (I've never heard of adding the frogs to the song, but it makes sense). Kids who like farm animals, learning animal noises, and singing should enjoy this board book.
Michele
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the classic nursery story of Old McDonald Had a Farm with Pete the Cat telling the story. My grandson loves cats so Pete is great to help out with the animal sounds. Plus, he's one of my favorites too.
Dinah King
May 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: baby-books, youths
This book is way too long for a board book and has the most random animals. It's like someone trying to reach a specified word count, but with farm animals.
Also, why do the goats say baa and the sheep say maa? This seems completely wrong.
Celeste
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't have a lot of love on Goodreads. It was really fun to do for toddler storytime (if you sing it!) I didn't do ALL the animals though, and stopped after the horses. I think doing the entire book would probably be overkill. 5 or so verses for Old MacDonald is just the right amount.
Natalie Roche
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
The goat says baa and the sheep says maa?
Little Red
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Better for my 21 month old than for my four year old. He loved the repetition of the song lyrics, but she got a little bored.
Anthony
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Pete the Cat spends some time learning through song the sounds that animals on a farm make as he sings the song Old MacDonald Had a Farm, while down on the farm. E-I -E-I-O!
Anita D
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit too long but nice mix of animals
Stephanie  Weatherly
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My kids loved singing the Old MacDonald song along with this book. Great interactive read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
UEL Primary PGCE ...: SEND 1 3 May 29, 2015 09:17AM

• Dinosaur Dance!
  • There's a Bear on My Chair
  • Little Blue Truck Leads the Way
  • Llama Llama Nighty-Night
  • Mama, Do You Love Me?
  • Never Touch a Dragon (Touch & Feel)
  • Little Blue Truck's Springtime
  • Hello, Bugs!
  • I Broke My Trunk! (Elephant & Piggie, #14)
  • Little Excavator
  • Even Superheroes Have Bad Days
  • Good-Night, Owl!
  • Goldilocks and the Three Dinosaurs
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Never Touch a Monster
  • Llama Llama Time to Share
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bat!
  • Pete the Cat: Too Cool for School

Pete the Cat (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes