Start by marking “Battle of the Beasts (House of Secrets, #2)” as Want to Read:
Battle of the Beasts (House of Secrets, #2)

Battle of the Beasts

(House of Secrets #2)

Since the siblings' last adventure, life in the Walker household is much improved—the family is rich and the Wind Witch is banished. But no Walker will be safe until she is found, and summoning her to San Francisco brings all the danger that comes with her and puts the Walkers in the crosshairs of a mysterious journey through Denver Kristoff's books. As the Walkers travel ...more
Published March 25th 2014 by Balzer & Bray/Harperteen (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Battle of the Beasts, please sign up.
Kayla Gaunt This is a great book. I would recommend it for any spare time between homework school and chores around the house. I absolutely loved this book so I…moreThis is a great book. I would recommend it for any spare time between homework school and chores around the house. I absolutely loved this book so I think you might enjoy it.(less)
Katie Yes I think so. This is thoroughly based on my personal opinion, but I think that the book is good, but not as good as the first. It is a good…moreYes I think so. This is thoroughly based on my personal opinion, but I think that the book is good, but not as good as the first. It is a good experience, but not exactly a thrilling page turner. There is nothing to gain from reading it, except for an average ending.(less)

Clara
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. So much emotion and thrilling adventure. Some books aren't as good without some loss but it is fabulous.
Rob Slaven
Mar 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Firstly and as usual I received this book for free in exchange for a review. Despite that kind consideration I give my scrupulously honest opinions below.

To begin, this is a children's book so I judge by different criteria than I would an adult novel. The first point of judgment, and one that has been known to blow a book out of the water by itself, is the presence of inappropriate content for children. I have absolutely no tolerance for sex, drugs and other such topics in kid's books. This book
Audrey Smith
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book although personally I think that it was not as good as the first. I still enjoyed reading it even though it was slightly less enjoyable than the first book.
Kayla Eklund
If you've been following my reviews for a few years, you know that I absolutely hated the first House of Secrets book. There were very few redeeming qualities in it. At first, I was very iffy about whether I wanted to continue the series or not. When I got a chance to read the second book on Edelweiss, I figured that I didn't have much else to read, so I would give it a try. I'm so glad I did.

Battle of the Beasts was a welcome change from the first House of Secrets book. The character's seemed
Lara
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is yet again another brilliant sequel, I loved this book it is even btter then the first one almost certainly, there is so much more to it then you realise. I would really reccomend this to anyone!!!!!!!!
Mary Grace Nakao
Jun 05, 2014 rated it liked it
For the complete review, please visit this site: Three Blank Pages

You could tell by how long I finished this book that I wasn't entirely caught up with it. Basically, if I like a book a lot or love it, I could finish it in a day and review it the next after containing all my feelings for the book. With this one however, it took me 10 days to complete it and another 3 days for me to make the review. And I couldn't even say Im busy! Teehee

I am going to split my review into 2: the good and the b
Dayla
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review first appeared on my blog: Book Addict 24-7

I received a copy via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

Battle of the Beasts is the sequel to the middle grade novel, House of Secrets, written by Chris Columbus and the late Ned Vizzini. Though I entered this book with a few doubts, I ended up liking it a lot more than its predecessor. The action was more fluid and the characters were more realistic (with a few exceptions). I also felt like the pacing was a lot better, making it a much f
♠️ TABI ♠️
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This sequel follows the crazy, fast-paced, twist-filled plot of the first book...only a little more. The Walker siblings survived being stuck in Denver Kristoff's novels once, but now they're going to have to do it again. And this time, there's more at stake then just getting home - they're going to have to try and stick together as well, which is harder than it seems.

I loved this book just as much as I loved the first. Again, it is written in an omnipotent voice that bounces between characters
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer - I won this book before it was published!

This book was better than the first! The adventures in this book were more adventurous and seemed to mesh very well together. I'm glad at the outcome but I'm curious to see how Fat Jagger gets out of this new sticky situation he has gotten himself in - can the Walkers save him? Also I wonder if Felix and Will, will return in the 3rd book because I think Will plays a major role in the Walker life but I'm not sure if Felix should return but I'm
Kari
Oct 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
I didn't read book one, so I was a little lost at times, but not so much as to distract from the story line. The a Walker children are running from the Wind Witch and find themselves transported to another of Denver Kristoff's books, landing in the middle of the roman Collesium. After defeating the lions by magic, the Emperor thinks Bren is the highest warrior.
Adventures also include a trip to a cold mountain top where the kids battle the frost beasts.
The adventures divide them, but in the end
Anna van Hemert
It is awesome. Even though I am still reading the first book
Mark Buxton
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
My name is Eleanor, and I should have made a better wish to get rid of Dahlia forever. Once again, Kristoff House has deposited us into another book, actually a combination of three different books, and the Wind Witch is still tormenting us. We're stuck in ancient Rome where Nazi robot soldiers have attacked the emperor's citizens. Brendan is enjoying his new post as the emperor's general, and he actually wants to stay in this world! It looks like we may also be stuck here after I destroyed The ...more
Michael Schwartz
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
The first book in the House of Secrets series ended with high hopes for the Walker family, but as this one begins, it shows that their adventures and troubles have just began.

After using the book of Doom and Desire to make her family rich and banish the Wind Witch, Eleanor soon realizes that while the family having so much money was great, it wasn't meant to last. Brendan is having bully troubles, Cordelia is suffering from what she believes to be some after effect from their last adventure, an
Christian
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Ray Kasai
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to anyone. This book is ok for all ages, genders, and is a worthy read no matter what. this book tells you about the importance of family, and how important it is to savor them and to embrace them. I would say this book was even better than the first series, and I am very interested to read the third book of the series. So much emotion and thrilling adventure. Some books aren't as good without some loss but this book was absolutely fabulous. this book helped me improv ...more
Rick Stuckwisch
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this second House of Secrets book somewhat more than the first, as the characters seemed more developed and interesting, and the story itself felt less contrived, more interesting and compelling. It still feels, overall, as though it were in search of a destination, meandering a bit along the way, and not really settling into anything definite or certain. Although aimed at a junior high audience (I assume), there are times when fairly graphic situations are described, not in detail, th ...more
Azmylle H
A little bit of redundant plot twist in comparison to the previous book. Just a little bit too similar.
I was quite disappointed.

Then Brendon's issue with his arrogance >>> ended up leaving the crew behind
then the merged of 3 worlds >>> which the last world conveniently has the exit door
the battles >>> unique but not so much, the magic was there but I was expecting more.

But the way the authors ended the book is just nice for them to have excuses for writing the last pa
Marlana
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing is better than in the previous book, but there are still lots of problems.

Cordelia, Brendan, and Eleanor do not talk or react as children would and there seems to be inconsistencies in their characterizations. Some traits are consistent, but others seemingly change at will.

There was an attempt at a plot twist, I think, but I really care so little about these characters that it had no effect on me.

I will finish the trilogy, but wouldn't read anything else by this author.

Three stars m
Shell Hunt
I don't really know how review middle grade fiction. This was the second book in the series recommended by my 11 year old nephew. Is there anything bad to be said for fantastical adventures with three kids? Battle of the Beasts follows the Walker kids on yet another adventure after discovering the Wind Witch is not completely gone and has been hanging out Very close.
The Kristoff house ventures into three more books and the kids have to find a different way out of the fantasy.
Loved it. This ser
Joanna Dean
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another Dollar Tree find. First of all, this is a YA book that I think any adult who has enjoyed similar kids & magic stories, will also enjoy. The kids are fun & bright, and a little quirky, which I guess makes sense, since this is the 2nd of two where they have a magic adventure, with time travel and good & bad guys, so I guess they have a right to be a little quirky. It was totally readable without having to read the first one. I did think the side story of the Dad was a little od ...more
Lucy Brown
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, I really loved the first book and this was really good. This book is about three kids who get sucked up into a fantasy world. Elenor, Cordelia, and Brendon meet new people and make new friends along the way. They try to get back home to San Francisco and fight off the wind witch, who is the person who put them there. These three kids will learn friendship, bravery, and have a great adventure. This book is filled with action and cliffhangers. I would definitly recommend ...more
e m i
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading the first and second book. Reading the story made me feel like I was there with the Walker kids. I loved the writing. A lot of it made me laugh.

I love the idea of travelling in books and I wish I could so in real life. This series is definitely somewhere in my Top 20 fav series. If you are wondering wether you should read it or not, I'm going to tell you to go for it and read.

I need to get my hands on the next book asap.
Molly
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HopelessBookRomantic
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO I absolutely loved loved loved this book, as I did the one before it. At first, it was kinda slow and I didn't like where it was going, BUT then everything was cleared up and I loved it again! I'm really emotional now knowing that there's only one book left of this AMAZING trilogy!!!! EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS!!
Beth
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Although this book had an interesting story content, I feel like it wasn't appropriate for its age group. There were a number of violent scenes resulting in deaths and several instances of inappropriate language. I did feel like it wove in some very interesting historical facts that should intrigue kids. So overall it deserves a 3.
Kay
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive-audio
The second book in this series really shows Chris Columbus' talent as a movie maker, since all the dialogue and descriptions are very cinematic. Eleanor, Cordelia, and Brandon all shine (and fail) separately, showing their growth as individuals, and the ending provides some closure, yet still sets up the third story for those of us who want to read on (which I am doing now, LOL).
NOd
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd give this book a 4.5 but I couldn't so I rated it 5 stars. This book is very fun and intense and has a loot of cliff hangers (Especially the end of the chapters). The book is also sometimes very funny and sad but the book still has a happy ending which helps cheer up from the sad moments. The book has a lot of twists and is a very inspirational book if you are going to publish a book.
Joan Waters
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book broke my heart in little pieces. It is totally AMAZING filled with action, adventure, mystery and love . I love how the authors combined all those beautiful stories from history and from fantasy.
Nick
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was the best in the series. What I liked about it was that there was history in the book, for example the three main characters fought the nazis and fought in the colleseum. What I thought could be better is if there was a little bit more action.
Karlin Gray
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
My 10-yr-old son’s review: “An action packed adventure filled with trust, friendship, and of course robots. They will be tested every step of the way. House of secrets: battle of the beasts is a well written book by Chris Columbus and Ned Vizzini.”
4 and 3/5 ⭐
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • The Pillars of Ponderay (The Balance Keepers, #2)
  • Angus MacBain and The Island of Sleeping Kings (Angus MacBain #1)
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound Prodigies #3)
  • Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)
  • The Bag of Bones (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • Dragon (Five Ancestors, #7)
  • Ghostsitters (Araminta Spookie, #5)
  • Cleo (Cleo #1)
  • Ennara and the Book of Shadows (Ennara, #2)
  • Passionaries (The Blessed, #2)
  • Dark Parallel (The Joshua Files, #4)
  • Mindscape (The Ability, #2)
  • The Lost Realm (The Chronicles Of Fantasy Kingdom #1)
  • Of Sorcery and Snow (The Ever Afters #3)
  • Shift (The Protector, #2)
  • Every Never After (Never, #2)
  • The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
Chris Joseph Columbus is an American film director, producer and screenwriter. Columbus is known for such movies as Gremlins, The Goonies, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Home Alone, the last receiving a British Comedy Award for Best Comedy Film.

House of Secrets (3 books)
  • House of Secrets (House of Secrets, #1)
  • Clash of the Worlds (House of Secrets, #3)
“Ughhh, that stuff tastes like vomit mixed with cat litter!” 0 likes