Start by marking “The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Execution (Jeremy Fisk, #2)

The Execution (Jeremy Fisk #2)

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  1,454 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews
NYPD Detective Jeremy Fisk—introduced in Law & Order creator Dick Wolf’s New York Times bestselling debut The Intercept—must stop an assassin in the pay of a shadowy cartel in The Execution, a tense thriller that superbly blends suspense, politics, intrigue and high-flying action in the tradition of Vince Flynn, David Baldacci, and Robert Crais.
Soon after the Mexican
Published January 7th 2014 by William Morrow HarperCollins

Susan May
Apr 15, 2014 Susan May rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Who hasn’t seen at least one episode of Law and Order, the longest running scripted show on television? It’s been around, would you believe, since 1990. Dick Wolf, the creator of the show, is an award winning director, and producer. Now he's turned his hand to writing books, and he's proved that he can tell gripping stories no matter the medium.
In 2013, he released his first book THE INTERCEPT, and it took me a while to get around to reading it. (If you saw my to-be-read review pile, you would b
Mike French
Dec 14, 2013 Mike French rated it it was amazing
Tremendous second novel in the Jeremy Fisk series! I would highly recommend you read "The Intercept" first as this is a continueing series. If you haven't read the "The Intercept", start ASAP!
Cheryl
Jan 12, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
I like what Mr. Wolf does to television. He is a master and he knows how to create good television shows that last a long time due to really nice writing. That is why I was excited to see what he could do in the book world. While there is not a lack of action, I struggled with this book. In fact, I finished this book a long time ago and have not found the right words to put down for my thoughts on this book. In fact, I don't know if I still really have found them but I am going to try.

The begin
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was my first introduction to any writing by Dick Wolf, create of TV's successful Law & Order series. I had high hopes therefore going in. But for me this was a mediocre crime thriller. I read crime and thrillers more than any other genre so I know what I love and what I don't, this was a middle of the road novel in my opinion.

What's the book about?

The second page-turning thriller from the creator of Law & Order starring NYPD Special Agent Jeremy Fisk.

Soon after the Mexican president
Bella Swann
Jan 20, 2014 Bella Swann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I loved this book. There were a lot of different stories that interconnected. I loved the character of Garza as she was such a strong, incorruptible police officer. Her story was fascinating and her interactions with Jeremy were compelling. A very interesting and well-written story. Can't wait to read more stories by this author.
Chris
Aug 15, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by Dick Wolf and you may recognize his name since he co-created/wrote the Law and Order series on TV. Main character in this book is Jeremy Fisk and he works for the NYPD. Jeremy is what you would call your normal cop working for the department. He works on his own trying to find terrorists based in New York. This time he is after a group that reminds me of ISIS. This book is scary and not in the horror way but in the real life way because this can happen and then again i ...more
Jim A
Jan 27, 2014 Jim A rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book by Dick Wolf more than his first. Maybe it was because, having read the first one, my expectations were lower.

Pretty fast paced thriller about two agents, one NYPD and the other Mexican, chasing an assassin. You learn early on that this assassin is one bad dude.

Twists at the ending, although the clues were there during the book, were surprising to me.

All in all worth the read, even though I don't think it will ever achieve 'classic status' along the lines of Flynn, Berenson,
Kerry
Dec 04, 2013 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Great read. Beyond the lines drawn between countries there are those who blur the lines for their own benefit, they are called assassins. With one federal agents mission to find the truth and another agent from Mexico trying to catch a self made man in brutality. Then add this directive of the killer, whom has managed to hide his idenity, to make his mark before he is killed in this game of cat and mouse. Very well written, thoroughly enjoyed this book. Highly recommended read.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
Jeremy Fisk has been cleared for police duty only it won't be the kind he was hoping for. It's United Nations Week in New York City which means he will be working Intel in aiding foreign dignitaries for their week long summit. After losing his former partner and girlfriend Krina Gersten in a terrorist plot what was discovered before it had a chance to be carried out, he still had feelings that justice had not been served the way he would have wanted. Even though the trial carried with it a guilt ...more
An Odd1
Mar 01, 2015 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: action
"What kind of mind dreams up abominations like this?" p 45. Creepy Mexican mobster called Chuparosa artistically carves hummingbird into "headless handless corpse" p 47. Rating could stay high to admire author ability, even if I don't "Like" mutilation.

"The explosive noise of the guns had set off a chain reaction" p 1 starts book with a bang. NYPD Jeremy Fisk holds only a windshield scraper while Swedes massacre all other agents in a white-out snowstorm. Tension builds as he takes out bad guys.
Lesa
Jan 18, 2014 Lesa rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
If you don't recognize Dick Wolf's name as an author, you may recognize it as the creator of Law & Order. He brings the same non-stop action and suspense to his second Jeremy Fisk novel, The Execution.

Detective Jeremy Fisk of the NYPD Intelligence Division sees himself as an elite cop. He's a member of the anti-terror unit modeled on the CIA. He survived the action that killed his girlfriend. And, he's the survivor of a stakeout in upstate New York where two Swedish Muslim militants tried to
Betty Glenn
Oct 22, 2014 Betty Glenn rated it it was amazing
This book starts quickly, but I almost didn’t make it to the end, so a little advice up front: Do try, since the pace picks up and the story improves toward the end. Until then, although there were interesting, exciting moments, the story mostly seemed to plod along. Too much explanation, not enough action. There are frequent intrusions into the story while the author provides information he thinks the reader needs. These range from blatant parenthetical asides while a character is “on stage” to ...more
Chris
Aug 08, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Dick Wolf does not disappoint. In this second novel we find Jeremy Fisk continuing to battle Islamic terrorists from Sweden in the cold woods of New York on the Canadian border. However, the main plot of this book is set in NYC and involves narco-terrorists from Mexico. Fisk butts heads with an attractive, no nonsense Latina from the equivalent of the Mexican FBI/CIA. She is in town protecting the President of Mexico. Fisk has been sidetracked to a mission involving the United Nations. It's UN W ...more
Amy
Jan 24, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Excellent! I did not figure out any of the resolutions (who did it and how/why) to the plot lines until they were revealed. Some were shocking. I certainly was fed the clues, but they were woven so well into the storyline, and there were so many things going on in the book, that I was still surprised. A great resolution for the first book; and an exciting new chapter waiting to be written for book #3. You really do need to read (and remember!) book 1 - The Intercept - to benefit from reading thi ...more
Robert
Feb 16, 2014 Robert rated it liked it
Shelves: law-n-order
While not quite as good as the first Fisk book this one is still pretty decent. NYPD Detective Fisk is back on the case and chasing down a hummingbird in this installment. Hummingbird is the name of a ruthless assassin visiting the Big Apple up from Mexico. With the Federales hot on his tail he splits from Mexico with what appears to be plans of assassinating the Mexican Presidente at a meeting with Obama. This one just seemed a bit slower and fit with a rushed ending as opposed to the first Fis ...more
Sue Wargo
Jan 08, 2014 Sue Wargo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
The genius behind the Law & Order series is now author to a thrilling new novel series. Jeremy Fisk is a well formed character who is sharp and credible. The detail in story plot will keep you reading well into the night. This story connects New York with Mexico and an underworld of crime and drug lords. Wolf like in his tv series writes commandingly with threads of real time events and politics. The violence is portrayed with explicit detail, but is not gratuitous. I highly recommend both b ...more
Kathleen
Feb 09, 2015 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
"The Execution" is the second mystery I have read by Dick Wolf. The author is creator of the long running TV franchise "Law And Order." The main character of the novel, Jeremy Fisk, and his counterpart from Mexico lead the action in New York City during a meeting at the U.N.. The plot has enough twists without being too hard to follow. I would read another Dick Wolf mystery.
Jim
May 18, 2014 Jim rated it liked it
This was a good mystery & covered a lot of ground. I didn't read the first, but the author caught me up on what happened well enough, probably without being overbearing for those who had. There's not a lot of action, but that is well done & quite believable. The story was logical, the motivations very good. I'll be interested in reading another.
Esther Somorai
This is an interesting and exciting read, here and there throughout, that kept me reading at a pretty fast pace. It just didn't hit the four or five star rating for me.
Laurie
Jul 06, 2015 Laurie rated it really liked it
One of the main characters went to my high school -- The American School in Mexico City. Pretty sweet.
Kay
Jun 25, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
This time Jeremy Fisk is hunting for an assassin from Mexico. Beautiful Mexican Commandant partners in the search. Exciting drama at it’s best.
Christine Ricci
A fun read for the most part. Although there were some slow parts and a few paragraphs I thought the book could do without, on the whole it was a good read. It read like TV show or movie (makes sense with Dick Wolf as the author) in the beginning, but towards the end it felt as if Wolf was trying to drag out the ending. Was there a word count minimum? I wouldn't be opposed to picking up another in the series, but I'm not itching to read it either.
Literati Literature Lovers
Apr 19, 2015 Literati Literature Lovers rated it it was amazing
Detective Jeremy Fisk is at a low point in his life as author Dick Wolf continues the series with his latest offering, The Execution. At the end of the first book in the series, The Intercept, Jeremy’s colleague and lover Krina Gersten is killed in the line of duty leaving Jeremy devastated and vulnerable. Enter Commandante Cecelia Garza who has her own demons. Driving her obsession with finding the assassin Chuparosa is the memory of the kidnapping of her mother and sister and frustration becau ...more
Rob1109
Nov 03, 2014 Rob1109 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unable-to-finish
I’ve read both books written by Dick Wolf. Though, after ‘The Execution,’ I wonder if this really was written by Dick Wolf.
I picked up his first book, The Intercept. And I didn’t expect to like it. I’m not a fan of Law and Order or any of the spinoffs Wolf helped create. I figured I’d give it 25 pages and the put it down for something else to read. Man, was I wrong!!! The Intercept was one of the best novels I read last year. I recommended it to several friends who also enjoyed it.

When I saw Wol
Joanna
Feb 03, 2015 Joanna rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, 2015
The only reason this book gets two stars instead of one is that it was highly readable. The reason it doesn't score any higher is that the plot, such as it is, makes very little sense. In the world of Dick Wolf, this is like Season 14 of SVU.

The timeline and location shift from chapter to chapter in a frantic action movie style (which, I believe, is designed to keep you on the edge of your seat to prevent you having time to consider whether the characters and their actions make any sense at all)
Brian Krause
Mar 03, 2017 Brian Krause rated it liked it
Not bad, but not great. The characters were believable and so was the dialog. But the plot, the action sequences, and premise were obviously written by someone who isn't a writer. I'm not saying I could do better, I'm not a writer either. It helped pass the time and only cost $1.
Karen
Jan 06, 2015 Karen rated it liked it

Ten days after the Mexican presidential election, twenty-three bodies are discovered beheaded on the United States border, each marked with a carving
nomadreader (Carrie D-L)
(originally published at http://nomadreader.blogspot.com)

The backstory: The Execution is the second novel in Dick Wolf's Jeremy Fisk series, after The Intercept (my review.) This review, like the book itself, contains spoilers if you have not read The Intercept.

The basics:  Shortly after the Mexican presidential election, twenty-three beheaded bodies are found beheaded on the U.S. border. Mexican intelligence officer Cecilia Garza recognizes it as the work of Chuparosa, a man she's been chasin
Annie
Jan 21, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
As I said in my review of Wolf’s first Book, the Intercept, I wasn’t prepared to like these books, but I really did. This book, the Execution, went even further than I expected, delving not only into what the NYPD’s Intelligence Division and Jeremy Fisk might be dealing with during United Nations week in New York, but also what might be involved with out of town dignitaries, namely the President of Mexico.

There is a lot of background in this book, and the present day action goes by very fast. I
Mike Emett
Dec 12, 2014 Mike Emett rated it really liked it
  • Cash Landing (Jack Swyteck, #0.5)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • Devil's Harbor
  • Out of Range
  • Everything to Lose
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • House Rivals (Joe DeMarco, #10)
  • Private Royals (Private, #12.5)
  • The Wrong Girl (Jane Ryland, #2)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • Shadow Wolf (Apache Protectors #1)
  • Slingshot (Spycatcher, #3)
  • Twelve Days (John Wells, #9)
  • A Dog Gone Murder (Josie Marcus, Mystery Shopper #10)
  • The Janson Equation (Paul Janson, #4)
  • Black Fridays (Jason Stafford, #1)
  • The Directive (Mike Ford, #2)
  • Scratch One
Richard Anthony "Dick" Wolf is an American producer, specializing in crime dramas such as Miami Vice and the Law & Order franchise. Throughout his career he has won several awards including an Emmy Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Wolf worked as an advertising copywriter at Benton & Bowles creating commercials for Crest toothpaste, all the while writing screenplays in the ho
More about Dick Wolf...

Jeremy Fisk (3 books)
  • The Intercept (Jeremy Fisk, #1)
  • The Ultimatum (Jeremy Fisk #3)

“Detective Jeremy Fisk of the NYPD Intelligence Division hated upstate New York. Hated the whole idea of it. Even though he had lived all over the world during his childhood, he had spent most of his adult life in New York City and had the passion of the convert for his adopted home. And as a confirmed New Yorker, he despised upstate on principle. Upstate was hillbillies and trailer parks and suicidal deer that plunged heedlessly into the headlights of your car, forcing you to swerve into the nearest ditch.” 0 likes