Start by marking “Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)

Wildwood Imperium

(Wildwood Chronicles #3)

A young girl's midnight séance awakens a long-slumbering malevolent spirit...

A band of runaway orphans allies with an underground collective of saboteurs and plans a daring rescue of their friends, imprisoned in the belly of an industrial wasteland...

Two old friends draw closer to their goal of bringing together a pair of exiled toy makers in order to reanimate a mechanica
Published February 4th 2014 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Wildwood Imperium, please sign up.
Ryu My guess is that they had different aims AFTER the resurrection of Alexei. Who he met first may influence his outlook on what was going on and may inf…moreMy guess is that they had different aims AFTER the resurrection of Alexei. Who he met first may influence his outlook on what was going on and may influence him to do bad things to Wildwood or brainwash people. Think spongiform- the brainwashing.(less)
Amelia Sadly it is the last book in the series, it was just meant to be a trilogy

Start your review of Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)
”Who ever heard of a witch who really died? You can always get them back.”
~a Narnian hag, Prince Caspian

A teenaged resident of South Wood, Wildwood, decides to horse around with parlor necromancy one night and inadvertently summons a spirit far beyond her powers. At first young Zita thinks she’s summoned a primordial being from the deep past, but the true identity of the spirit is tied to the bloody recent history of Wildwood. Zita is no great hero. Her sole claim to fame till now is having mar
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪

I really did not expect to dislike this book so much. I had mixed feelings about book one, I quite liked book two, but this one - this one - I tried everything. I tried the audiobook, but I found it so boring that my mind was wandering away 80% of the time; so in the end I resorted to skimming through the pages, trying to finish it as soon as possible. I simply cannot find anything positive in this read, a part from the beautiful illustrations. After all, this is all my fault for buying a whole
Jan
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this series. What a wild adventure it was reading the three books. I was totally hooked from start to finish. I'm looking forward to the next offering from this author, and will definitely need to check out the music from his band, The Decemberists.
twice_baked✌️
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
THE HECK.

WHAT. THE HECK. WAS THAT ENDING.

Now, part of the ending did bump my review up to three stars. But the other part was a complete noooo.

(also if you were confused by the tree theme and the mystery surrounding why the Council tree died, etc. - scroll to the very bottom of my review because I finally figured it out and I'm so pleased with myself and happy that I understand what's going on that I have to spread it. 😋)

THE COMPLETE NO PART
I found it incredibly unbelievable that Curtis' pa
Jaime
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
After having read all three of the Wildwood books, I continue to applaud the rich universe that the author has created. Love that it was Colin Meloy who wrote these books and I love how I can hear his songwriting style in his descriptions. I also enjoyed the challenging themes throughout the series, especially the lovely way that grief was addressed at the very end.

I really enjoyed this series as a whole, but the last book felt very hurriedly tied up and I wasn't 100% satisfied. Also, that Swin
BookishStitcher
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a lovely final installment in the Wildwood trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed all three books, and I feel that Colin Meloy did a fantastic job. If you are looking for a whimsical middle grade fantasy series I would recommend these. They aren't short books but so enjoyable. The illustrations are also fantastic.
Kirsty
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best enjoyed whilst listening to The Decemberists.

When I read the second Wildwood book earlier this year, I was a little unsure as to whether I'd see the trilogy through to its end. When I spotted the final instalment, Wildwood Imperium, on the library catalogue however, it didn't take me too long to change my mind. As I was reading, I was pretty sure that this would be my favourite book of the series overall, as it was the most compelling in terms of its storyline, and was incredibly well plott
Amber
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Prue Mckeel and friends are back in the epic conclusion of the Wildwood trilogy, Wildwood Imperium. When a young girl accidentally revives the Dowager Empress who is now the Verdant Empress who has become one with the Ivy, the world of Wildwood and beyond are now in danger. Will Prue and the others be able to stop the Empress before its too late and fulfill the prophecy or will their worlds perish? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was an amazing and action-packed finale. I enjoyed this tri
Michael Wood
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was reluctant to pick up this book because the previous installment didn't leave me very hungry or excited to finish the series. The second book meandered through some new settings that ultimately didn't mean very much and introduced some vague but uninteresting quest launched from a bizarre prophecy. It was not a great ending.

Perhaps to make up for his previous fizzled-out finale, Meloy begins Wildwood Imperium in a way that feels like the start a completely new story rather than the continu
Brian James
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ru
The third book in the wonderful Wildwood series is arguably the best of the three, which is saying a lot considering the first two were near flawless. But in this concluding chapter of the story that began three years ago with the first novel, Colin Meloy truly hits his stride, cementing himself as one of the finest storytellers of his generation.

The story opens with the main characters scattered throughout the various locations in the city of Portland and sections Impassable Wilderness where th
Noa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
3.5*

Such a cute resolution
Joel Wentz
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, a very satisfying conclusion to the Wildwood trilogy. "Under Wildwood" set up many new characters and story-arcs, and Meloy manages to weave them all towards a conclusion without confusing the reader. There is an extremely well-paced build-up and climax to the Elsie/Rachel conflict with the Industrial Titans about halfway through the book, and I do wish the overall conclusion to the book was as exciting. Nevertheless, this book is just as funny and smoothly written as the first two, and ...more
Nancy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlets, 2015
It was a satisfying end to the trilogy, but lacked the magic of the first book. I suppose as the author's original audience for book 1 grows older, it occurs to an author to raise the stakes and make the successive books darker and sadder. I'm all for subtle imagery/messages about questioning authority in children's literature, but I expected better from Meloy than his heavy hand relaying his messages that capitalism is evil and that religion is a mind-controlling parasite. Also, I generally app ...more
Charlotte Knott
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic end to a wonderfully original trilogy that deserves to be better known.
Skip
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the first two books in this trilogy very much, but found this one to be much too long. It tool hundreds of pages to even locate some of the main characters. The saboteurs were a fun crowd, and I thought the ending was good, but would have appreciated a little more effort from the editors. And the drawings by Meloy's wife, Carson Ellis, continue to shine, especially the color plates. 2.5 stars.
Ashley Verity
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first 2/3 were slow going. Part 3 upped the game and saved the book from being rated my customary 3. Perfect ending.
Mayrocks
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The first book in this series, Wildwood, was actually pretty good; it kept me hooked with all the battles and discoveries. The second one, Under Wildwood, bored me to death. It kinda just drrraaaggggggeedd along, and it was never really interesting, and i only read it because it was a sequel and i always finish a series once i start no matter what. This addition to the series was only slightly more entertaining.

So in short, Prue goes back to Wildwood For "urgent business" . she needs to reunite
Sahana
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Sofia
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book freaked. Me. Out.
During my second reread of the series, I just couldn't get through it. There was something so malevolent and wrong going on. The wrongness scared me more than most horror books. When I was a kid, I loved this series, but I would never read this one before bed. Unlike the first book, which was lighter, this was a whole mess of dark and twisted. Surprising for a middle-grade book.
Ashley Daviau
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an absolutely stunning conclusion to a wonderful series! Once again, a fast paced and action packed read that had me unable to stop turning the pages. I was really wondering how so many loose ends from the second book would be tied up but they all were and with such perfection! Everything came together so beautifully at the end. I may have shed a tear toward the end at a certain event but my heart was quickly mended in the final pages. I so thoroughly enjoyed this series, it transporte ...more
Sachi Parikh
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Colin Meloy's words flow beautifully. I loved all the pictures by Carson Ellis. She is a great illustrator. Her art is similar to the illustrator of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, Jon Klassen. There were parts were it was a tad bit slow, but in the end those parts had a purpose in the book. My favorite part was when Elsie and the duct-rats went to rescue Martha and Carol, and the part where Mr.Uthank had a change of heart.
Ann
Blurf. The ending was so abrupt and brief that I'm still trying to figure out what happened. It was like build up...build up...build up buiLD UPdone.

Also, the writing wasn't great (again), and the pacing was less than consistent (again), and I just didn't really enjoy it that much. BLURF, I say! I'm a little mad at Colin Meloy right now.
Hillary
Apr 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I could not finish this book. I loved the first one, the second was ok, but this one was too dull. There needed to be some serious editing and culling done. The book gets really bogged down in political dialogue about the industrial waste and the bicycle revolution and such. There was definitely potential, but not enough to hold my attention.
Mari Jaye
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-lit, 2019
This book was my least favourite of the three Wildwood Chronicles Series. It just didn't cross over well for an adult reader, the way the other two did. Too much action/kids running around, instead of the woodsy, magical feel I enjoyed in the first. Skimmed through much of the end and didn't finish.
Erik
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yep, it went on a bit longer than it should have, but I won't dock stars because of it. Overall a good read. Not too challenging but creative enough to keep my interest.

Okay, back to adult books...
Alex Bergland
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wow, this took me a really long time to read. I didn't get that "I can't wait to read the next chapter" feeling. Really just read it because I felt obligated to finish the series. I thought that this book was very "meh".
Virginia
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really liked the series. The illustrations are lovely. I can easily picture and connect with the characters. I especially love Esben! And I expect Elsie and Brendan are going to be besties.
Rachel
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird. Just weird. That's all
Mary Drover
Real review: My reviews for Wildwood & Under Wildwood are linked. I ended up absolutely adoring this as a finale for this series. It was so well crafted, and so damn interesting! The first two books, I was not exactly meh on, but they didn't hold my attention quite like this one did. Obviously, it still took me a couple weeks to finish it, but I really thought that this was a magnificent third book. It kept me guessing a lot where the previous two did not, and I really wasn't sure how it ...more
Zuko Buechler
Jun 08, 2020 rated it liked it
I rated this book a 3 really because the positives and negatives (that were present for most of the series tbh) cancel each other out making it just a flat out aight book. I really enjoyed the multiple perspectives, which is one of the main reasons why I stuck with this series. It allowed for strong character development, interesting intersections between multiple different plotlines, and also a really good feeling when the gang all reunites again! Secondly, The character's behaviors and respons ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #0)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #2)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #3)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society: Mr. Benedict's Book of Perplexing Puzzles, Elusive Enigmas, and Curious Conundrums
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Riddle of Ages (The Mysterious Benedict Society, #4)
  • Darkness Falls (Survivors, #3)
  • Wolf Queen (Claidi Journals, #3)
  • A Hidden Enemy (Survivors, #2)
  • The Chaos Curse (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #3)
  • The Scarlet Slipper Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #32)
  • Ghosts of Greenglass House (Greenglass House #2)
  • The Apprentices (The Apothecary, #2)
  • The Crystal Ribbon
  • Cheat (Orca Currents)
  • Freya and the Magic Jewel (Thunder Girls #1)
  • The Mystery of the 99 Steps (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #43)
  • Bunker Ten (A 'Dark Scotland' Thriller Book 1)
Colin Patrick Henry Meloy is the lead singer and songwriter for the Portland, Oregon folk-rock band The Decemberists. In addition to his vocal duties, he plays acoustic guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bouzouki, and percussion. As of 2005, Meloy has written a 100-page book on The Replacements' fourth album, "Let It Be," released as part of the 33⅓ series.

Meloy was born in Helena

Wildwood Chronicles (3 books)
  • Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1)
  • Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)

News & Interviews

“And at that very moment, when the kiss was laid on the boy's head, and the mother's arm were firmly wrapped around her child as they'd been when she'd first held him, when she'd first cradled him as a baby, when she'd held him as a child crying over some lost bauble, when she'd held him as a boy when a fever had come on strong, when she'd held him as a young man in the full throat of summer, and when the horse had thrown him and he lay motionless on the flagstones and she'd held him then- at that very moment, the ivy ceased its endless writhings and lapsed into immobility and fell quiet.” 2 likes
“But, there's like a hole world out there! Filled with mystery and awe and sorrow and happiness.” 0 likes