Start by marking “Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)” as Want to Read:
Wildwood Imperium (Wildwood Chronicles, #3)

Wildwood Imperium

(Wildwood Chronicles #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,243 ratings  ·  330 reviews
A young girl's midnight séance awakens a long-slumbering malevolent spirit...

A band of runaway orphans allies with an underground collective of saboteurs and plans a daring rescue of their friends, imprisoned in the belly of an industrial wasteland...

Two old friends draw closer to their goal of bringing together a pair of exiled toy makers in order to reanimate a mechanica
Published February 4th 2014 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Wildwood Imperium, please sign up.
Ryu My guess is that they had different aims AFTER the resurrection of Alexei. Who he met first may influence his outlook on what was going on and may…moreMy guess is that they had different aims AFTER the resurrection of Alexei. Who he met first may influence his outlook on what was going on and may influence him to do bad things to Wildwood or brainwash people. Think spongiform- the brainwashing.(less)
Amelia Sadly it is the last book in the series, it was just meant to be a trilogy

really liked it 4.00  ·

”Who ever heard of a witch who really died? You can always get them back.”
~a Narnian hag, Prince Caspian

A teenaged resident of South Wood, Wildwood, decides to horse around with parlor necromancy one night and inadvertently summons a spirit far beyond her powers. At first young Zita thinks she’s summoned a primordial being from the deep past, but the true identity of the spirit is tied to the bloody recent history of Wildwood. Zita is no great hero. Her sole claim to fame till now is having mar
Jan
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about this series. What a wild adventure it was reading the three books. I was totally hooked from start to finish. I'm looking forward to the next offering from this author, and will definitely need to check out the music from his band, The Decemberists.
twice_baked✌️
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
THE HECK.

WHAT. THE HECK. WAS THAT ENDING.

Now, part of the ending did bump my review up to three stars. But the other part was a complete no.

(also if you were confused by the tree theme and the mystery surrounding why the Council tree died, etc. - scroll to the very bottom of my review because I finally figured it out and I'm so pleased with myself and happy that I understand what's going on that I have to spread it. 😋)

THE COMPLETE NO PART
I found it incredibly unbelievable that Curtis' parents
Jaime
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
After having read all three of the Wildwood books, I continue to applaud the rich universe that the author has created. Love that it was Colin Meloy who wrote these books and I love how I can hear his songwriting style in his descriptions. I also enjoyed the challenging themes throughout the series, especially the lovely way that grief was addressed at the very end.

I really enjoyed this series as a whole, but the last book felt very hurriedly tied up and I wasn't 100% satisfied. Also, that Swin
BookishStitcher
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a lovely final installment in the Wildwood trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed all three books, and I feel that Colin Meloy did a fantastic job. If you are looking for a whimsical middle grade fantasy series I would recommend these. They aren't short books but so enjoyable. The illustrations are also fantastic.
Kirsty
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Best enjoyed whilst listening to The Decemberists.

When I read the second Wildwood book earlier this year, I was a little unsure as to whether I'd see the trilogy through to its end. When I spotted the final instalment, Wildwood Imperium, on the library catalogue however, it didn't take me too long to change my mind. As I was reading, I was pretty sure that this would be my favourite book of the series overall, as it was the most compelling in terms of its storyline, and was incredibly well plott
Amber
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: librarybooks
Prue Mckeel and friends are back in the epic conclusion of the Wildwood trilogy, Wildwood Imperium. When a young girl accidentally revives the Dowager Empress who is now the Verdant Empress who has become one with the Ivy, the world of Wildwood and beyond are now in danger. Will Prue and the others be able to stop the Empress before its too late and fulfill the prophecy or will their worlds perish? Read on and find out for yourself.

This was an amazing and action-packed finale. I enjoyed this tri
Brian James
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ru
The third book in the wonderful Wildwood series is arguably the best of the three, which is saying a lot considering the first two were near flawless. But in this concluding chapter of the story that began three years ago with the first novel, Colin Meloy truly hits his stride, cementing himself as one of the finest storytellers of his generation.

The story opens with the main characters scattered throughout the various locations in the city of Portland and sections Impassable Wilderness where th
Noa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
3.5*

Such a cute resolution
Michael Wood
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was reluctant to pick up this book because the previous installment didn't leave me very hungry or excited to finish the series. The second book meandered through some new settings that ultimately didn't mean very much and introduced some vague but uninteresting quest launched from a bizarre prophecy. It was not a great ending.

Perhaps to make up for his previous fizzled-out finale, Meloy begins Wildwood Imperium in a way that feels like the start a completely new story rather than the continu
Amélie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Ce livre mériterait que je lui enlève toutes ses étoiles, parce qu'il y a tellement (TELLEMENT) de moments où les personnages perdent leur temps à se raconter ce qui leur est arrivé pendant qu'ils étaient éloignés les uns des autres qu'on finit par croire que l'auteur ignore tout du savant procédé qui consisterait à juste... (wait for it)... SAUTER CES BOUTS-LÀ. (Ça s'appelle une ellipse narrative, Meloy. La beauté de la chose, c'est que tu peux l'utiliser n'importe quand.)

Cependant! Malgré ses
Serap S.D.
Ohhh ! Nihayet seri bitti😀ana konu güzel bir masal olabilirdi, 3 kitap yaklaşık 1500 sayfa yazmaya (faşistlik, devrim filan oydu buydu ne gerek vardi,çocuk kitabı sonucta) uzatmaya hiç gerek yoktu bence,1500 sayfayı özetleyip 300 bilemedin 400 sayfalık tek kitap yererdi. Gerçi tek sorun bu değil,diğer kitaplarda dediğim gibi çocuklara kötü örnek olacak şeyler var yetişkinler için ise basit ve sıkıcı...1 yıldız çizim ve tasarımlara 1 yıldız fantastik ana hikayeye...
Joel Wentz
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, a very satisfying conclusion to the Wildwood trilogy. "Under Wildwood" set up many new characters and story-arcs, and Meloy manages to weave them all towards a conclusion without confusing the reader. There is an extremely well-paced build-up and climax to the Elsie/Rachel conflict with the Industrial Titans about halfway through the book, and I do wish the overall conclusion to the book was as exciting. Nevertheless, this book is just as funny and smoothly written as the first two, and ...more
Nancy
Jan 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kidlets, 2015
It was a satisfying end to the trilogy, but lacked the magic of the first book. I suppose as the author's original audience for book 1 grows older, it occurs to an author to raise the stakes and make the successive books darker and sadder. I'm all for subtle imagery/messages about questioning authority in children's literature, but I expected better from Meloy than his heavy hand relaying his messages that capitalism is evil and that religion is a mind-controlling parasite. Also, I generally app ...more
Skip
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the first two books in this trilogy very much, but found this one to be much too long. It tool hundreds of pages to even locate some of the main characters. The saboteurs were a fun crowd, and I thought the ending was good, but would have appreciated a little more effort from the editors. And the drawings by Meloy's wife, Carson Ellis, continue to shine, especially the color plates. 2.5 stars.
Kris Hickman
I wanted to like it more than I did. The world was enchanting but the pace tended toward glacial, and this volume could have used a more austere editor.
Sahana
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Mayrocks
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
The first book in this series, Wildwood, was actually pretty good; it kept me hooked with all the battles and discoveries. The second one, Under Wildwood, bored me to death. It kinda just drrraaaggggggeedd along, and it was never really interesting, and i only read it because it was a sequel and i always finish a series once i start no matter what. This addition to the series was only slightly more entertaining.

So in short, Prue goes back to Wildwood For "urgent business" . she needs to reunite
Ashley Daviau
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an absolutely stunning conclusion to a wonderful series! Once again, a fast paced and action packed read that had me unable to stop turning the pages. I was really wondering how so many loose ends from the second book would be tied up but they all were and with such perfection! Everything came together so beautifully at the end. I may have shed a tear toward the end at a certain event but my heart was quickly mended in the final pages. I so thoroughly enjoyed this series, it transporte ...more
Sachi Parikh
Colin Meloy's words flow beautifully. I loved all the pictures by Carson Ellis. She is a great illustrator. Her art is similar to the illustrator of The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, Jon Klassen. There were parts were it was a tad bit slow, but in the end those parts had a purpose in the book. My favorite part was when Elsie and the duct-rats went to rescue Martha and Carol, and the part where Mr.Uthank had a change of heart.
Ann
Blurf. The ending was so abrupt and brief that I'm still trying to figure out what happened. It was like build up...build up...build up buiLD UPdone.

Also, the writing wasn't great (again), and the pacing was less than consistent (again), and I just didn't really enjoy it that much. BLURF, I say! I'm a little mad at Colin Meloy right now.
Erik
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Yep, it went on a bit longer than it should have, but I won't dock stars because of it. Overall a good read. Not too challenging but creative enough to keep my interest.

Okay, back to adult books...
Virginia
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Really liked the series. The illustrations are lovely. I can easily picture and connect with the characters. I especially love Esben! And I expect Elsie and Brendan are going to be besties.
Rachel
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Weird. Just weird. That's all
Alicea
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
All of this brings us to Wildwood Imperium which (from what I can tell) is the final book of the series. To some extent, all of the books have discussed politics in one form or another but this one is almost entirely about the political system (or lack thereof) in Wildwood and its environs. Prue is still on the lookout for the second Maker (the reader knows who this is and it's frustrating seeing the near misses) while the Verdant Empress speaks to the May Queen from a mirror on a nightstand. (Y ...more
Brad
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Done! It wasn’t all misery but it was clear that the book ya about 200 pages of plot and a cast of utterly forgettable characters, that act just like cardboard cutouts the more I read the less I liked it. The ending was telegraphed very early on and arrived more or less as expected. All that I said about the previous two were true. If you liked 1 then you will probably feel the same about 2&3.

When I was growing up my mom loved a book called the Shellseekers. When I asked her what it was abou
アマチュア読者
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 小說
Robert Rich
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This trilogy was a blast to read, and super quick. Colin Meloy channels his writing gifts well and shows that not only can he write stories via song, but novel as well. The content is decidedly a children's tale, however the writing style is so fluid and meticulous that it comes across like something for a much older audience. This third installment in the series brings the whole story to a satisfying conclusion and further builds out this wacky little world Meloy created in his fictional versio ...more
Lindsay Haines
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved the Wildwood Chronicles. Melody employs the darkness of humanity that juxtaposes against the altruistic Prue and Curtis. The Wildwood Emperium is a fantastic finale that ends with a shocking loss for all of Wildwood.

Though at times predictable, Meloy also throws curveballs and delves further into the characters' true natures and bravery. One character I could not understand was Zita and felt she poorly developed. She is wishy washy and it does not seem genuine.

You get the same Prue and
Jo Anna
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fantasy
As with most series, I did not LOVE the end of the Wildwood Chronicles as much as I would have liked to. It really dragged out the story in most places, although there were some definite exciting sequences. I felt the resolving of the plot was rushed, but over all enjoyed the ending. I am happy that thr author left a tiny strand of thread undone, just in case he wanted to return to this world and give us another story. I hope he does. Overall, I am satisfied, and the Wildwood Chronicles now hold ...more
  • The Ruby Kiss (The Magic Knot, #4)
  • Horten's Incredible Illusions: Magic, Mystery & Another Very Strange Adventure (Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms #2)
  • The Unmapped Sea (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #5)
  • Lord and Lady Bunny--Almost Royalty! (The Bunny's #2)
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Dog Friday
  • Earwig and the Witch
  • The Riverman (The Riverman Trilogy, #1)
  • Dusssie
  • The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home (Fairyland, #5)
  • The Art of Instruction: Vintage Educational Charts from the 19th and 20th Centuries
  • The Accidental Keyhand (The Ninja Librarians #1)
  • The Battle For WondLa
  • Rise of the Ragged Clover (The Luck Uglies, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Searching for Super (Almost Super, #2)
  • The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1)
  • The Secret Box (The Secret Box, #1)
Colin Patrick Henry Meloy is the lead singer and songwriter for the Portland, Oregon folk-rock band The Decemberists. In addition to his vocal duties, he plays acoustic guitar, 12-string acoustic guitar, electric guitar, bouzouki, and percussion. As of 2005, Meloy has written a 100-page book on The Replacements' fourth album, "Let It Be," released as part of the 33 series.

Meloy was born in Helena,

Wildwood Chronicles (3 books)
  • Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #1)
  • Under Wildwood (Wildwood Chronicles, #2)
“And at that very moment, when the kiss was laid on the boy's head, and the mother's arm were firmly wrapped around her child as they'd been when she'd first held him, when she'd first cradled him as a baby, when she'd held him as a child crying over some lost bauble, when she'd held him as a boy when a fever had come on strong, when she'd held him as a young man in the full throat of summer, and when the horse had thrown him and he lay motionless on the flagstones and she'd held him then- at that very moment, the ivy ceased its endless writhings and lapsed into immobility and fell quiet.” 1 likes
“But, there's like a hole world out there! Filled with mystery and awe and sorrow and happiness.” 0 likes