Start by marking “This Is My Lemonade: An Adoption Story” as Want to Read:
This Is My Lemonade: An Adoption Story

Read Excerpt

This Is My Lemonade: An Adoption Story

"This is My Lemonade," a memoir by Robert Mulkey, follows an unusual 34 year adoption journey. It is an international story involving identity, acceptance, abuse and redemption and the uncomfortable intricacies of not one, but three families.

"Readers going through family problems, especially in relation to adoption, may find help or at least a larger connection in this
Paperback, Large Print Edition, 282 pages
Published June 8th 2013 by CreateSpace (first published June 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about This Is My Lemonade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is My Lemonade

Start your review of This Is My Lemonade: An Adoption Story
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway. I was really excited because I love memoirs in general, and this book definitely didn't disappoint. The author was brutally honest, not just about other people but himself and his own downfalls. He didn't try to glorify anyone, just stated the way things were. A great read and an interesting view on adoption.
Dick Whittington
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, rated-3-stars
Good story of the questions, doubts, wondering, stresses and joys of a teenager finding their real family and the 30 years that follow as he builds relationships, patches fences, is surprised and disappointed. Does drag a bit towards the end like the author was searching for a way to end but never really satisfied so added a bit more, and a bit more and a bit more...but not too much. Was particularly involving for me as my Mom was an adopted child and I lived with her as she began her search and ...more
Ida
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I chose to read this memoir as I have a close friend who was adopted as a baby and I wanted to see how Robert Mulkey dealt with the emotions and relationships involved in seeking out and finding birth parents. It was very interesting to me that so many of the feelings he had were so similar to my friend's. Although there was repetition throughout the telling, the story was interesting and enjoyable. I loved the sections that involved his Italian relatives and his trips to Italy. They were filled ...more
Claudia
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, it was easy to follow, it had such wonderful descriptions that I could almost smell the olive groves while Robert was in Italy. His adoption story was filled with many ups and downs, many struggles, but also triumphs. I was always hoping for a better relationship between he and his father, but happy that he has one with his brother. I was saddened by the fact he could not meet his birth Mom, but happy he and his adoptive Mom were there for each other. I am hoping for a sequel, ...more
Noreen
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading "This Is My Lemonade: An Adoption Story". It is so well written. I highly recommend it! I feel like I know his family so well from just reading his book. I loved the cover of the book also.
Bettie  Bennett
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reads
This is a story is straight from the heart. A pleasure to read helpful to anyone that has family relationship they need to work on or just want to understand. Hope anyone that reads this book enjoys it as much as I did. Robert thank you for sharing your story.
Christie
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Adoption is beautiful and messy. The author's search for family and all it's forms is beautifully written. What a journey!
Tina
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved the author's story!!!
Christine
9 Chapters of Self-Centered Whining

This was not an adoption story. This was an autobiography that happened to have an adoption in it. I did read the whole thing, but it was excruciating. On the one hand, I just wanted to shake some sense into him; on another, the book just kept cycling through the same thoughts and insecurities for decades. Was there no editor involved?
J
Nov 29, 2014
Julie Jacinto
Mar 29, 2017
Willow
rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2017
Dec 05, 2019

• American Colonies: The Settling of North America
  • The Pequot War
  • Out of the Shoebox: An Autobiographic Mystery
Robert Mulkey was born in Silverton, Oregon and grew up in the mid-Willamette Valley. He attended Oregon State University in Corvallis, graduating with a BS in Sociology and a minor in Geography. His writing career started in high school and continued into college.

Mulkey’s professional background stretches over thirty years and includes management experience in retail trade, transportation,