Start by marking “The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)” as Want to Read:
The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)

The Expanse

(The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) #7)

Episode 7

A newly repaired ship…
A willing and eager crew…
A host of new technologies…
A long anticipated return home…

The crew of the UES Aurora finally has the chance to fulfill their mission, but first they must complete a long and dangerous journey across a thousand light years of unexplored space.

“The Expanse” is a 104,
Published June 17th 2013 by Ryk Brown

To ask other readers questions about The Expanse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expanse

Start your review of The Expanse (The Frontiers Saga #7)
Donna
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This is Space Opera Sci-fi. This was a book challenge read. As I started this, I wasn't sure I would be able to finish it. It was so "science-y". I had to make a real effort to keep my eyes from glazing over. This started off at a slow crawl. I contemplated putting it down, but it took me weeks to find this one in order to check off a box for the challenge. I wasn't sure I'd find another one. So I kept at it and I am so glad I did.

Once the story got rolling, I was caught up in the sci-fi wave.
Jean
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
At last the Aurora is on the way home to earth, fully stocked and almost a full crew. It is not a boring journey. There is experimentation with the jump drive and lots of excitement, action and suspense with a black hole. The reader keeps wondering are they going to get home?

The book is well written, the plot is well developed and new characters take a prominent role in this episode. There is lots of action and suspense and as with most sci-fi one must allow the imagination to run fr
Per Gunnar
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Before I start I better point out that this review do have some spoilers in it concerning the ending.

I was quite looking forward to this, the next book in The Frontiers Saga. I have to say that it did not live up to my expectations. If this was a TV-show this book would constitute the last episode with the sole purpose of preparing the viewers, or in this case the readers, for the next season. As such the ending is pretty much a huge cliff-hanger. This I guess I could live with. It w
Kathleen
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Aurora travels 1000 light years to cross the expanse. Going back home, to Earth. There is only one space-battle scene, which is enough for me. 3.75 stars rounded up because I felt the last chapters felt vivid. Nathan's fugue funk felt credible.
Michael
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
To start, this is book seven in the series - you need to start with Book 1, Ep.#1 - "Aurora: CV-01" (The Frontiers Saga) as this is not a standalone read.

What usually happens with continuations of a series is they start going downhill as the author has either exhausted his or her creativity or the story should have ended long ago. That's not the case with this series, as you have the exact opposite effect: it slowly started getting better, book #5 was a huge step forward, episode #6
Christian Leonard Quale
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
With The Expanse (the 7th instalment of the Frontiers Saga that is, not to be confused with the series The Expanse) this series just continues to impress me, and make me more and more hopeful for what will be coming up in the future books.

After the intensity of the previous book, this one starts out at a different, more calm, pace, in a way which kept me waiting for the inevitable twist to happen. What did happen ended up being a rare "predictable in a satisfying way" kind of thing:
Clayton Falter
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fair transition book

Better story and character side but several big science mistakes other math error - the first glaring to the layman. Black holes do not form without nova ejection event that leaves visible nebula gas cloud for quite a while. Nor does black hole formation increase mass and overall (distant) gravity field over its source star so that planets get sucked in. Planets get caught in nova immediately preceding collapse to black hole and their mass is often mostly in outbound gas
Will Hudson
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
POTENTIAL SPOILERS....................

For the most part, this is another great addition to the series. With them heading home though I think anyone following the series knew what they were going to find. That part is a bit obvious I know that Capt. Scott was thrust into the big chair and doesn't have the seasoning to have an abundance of self confidence in the job, but the little pitty party at the end, seemed out of character. I mean, we all do that from time to time, and I suppose
Peter Sidell
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great saga that keeps getting better

I suspect the Frontiers Saga would still be called a cult book at this time, but that as its popularity spreads by word of mouth it will be recognized as a true classic and will be considered for a Hugo.
It’s length is a mixed blessing - it means there is more to read, but that reading it is more of a commitment.
While there are many characters in the story they are introduced slowly enough that the reader can keep them straight and get to know them.
The
Kandra
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
John (JP)
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun summer read full of space battles. Get this from your library. Have them buy the whole setoff 14 books. I came across this audio book by accident. I was look for The Expanse from SYFY Network. This story has it all , experimental warship, young ne'er-do-well officer thrust into the captains chair, an implacable enemy threatening Earth, and Spiral Arm, and a quest to get back to Earth before time runs out to save it. This Star Blazers the novel. If you read this or listen to it you ...more
muhammedallia
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked up this book randomly using my library audiobook app and thought it was Book 1 but it makes sense that it is a sub trilogy in a larger series as the characters referenced things that did not happen in the beginning of this novel. It has some exciting action but honestly one flight chase scene went on for more than 20 minutes and got a bit tedious. None of the characters are memorable enough to separate out from one another. Maybe I'll go back and find the first book in the series but I am ...more
Arnold Rogers-Beckley
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The awesomeness continues!

I just finished painting, tiling and grouting the master bathroom. Weirdly, I had The Frontiers series in my mind almost the whole time. I was wondering what the crew would encounter on their way to Earth...well Ep7 did not disappoint! I finished the book still in my stinky paint stained clothes. I'm physically tired but my mind is racing. I'm fighting the urge to start Ep8. I need to get some sleep. Curse you Ryk Brown! Why did your storytelling have to be so good! :)
Kyle
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While the bulk of the book is enjoyable and further develops some of the characters, I can see how this book wouldn't be as enjoyable as the last being how the last installment was almost all action. That being said the last 2 chapters of this book had me on the edge of my seat and left me wanting to start the next book immediately. I'm glad I wasn't reading this when they first were published waiting for each new book.
Connie Garvie
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Completely Awesome!

For the previous book in this series, I wrote that it was my favorite of the series. I was very wrong. This book makes you feel proud of the people of Earth. I wanted too salute at the end, too! Thank you, Ryk Brown, for writing this book so I could enjoy it. Please continue!
Hakan Jackson
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think a lot of book series would skip this part being that it's mostly travel and technical stuff. However Ryk Brown has a way with details. Sure, at times it seems like he goes too deep into some of the details to the point where I just skim past. However, the character development is done so well that you find yourself invested in the details.
Chris
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Knowing the title of the next book and having everything in the Pentaurus sector resolved in the last book, I expected this entry to be a fairly boring ride home. There is plenty going on and the mystery and action are really good. The only thing that brings it down is the whine and cheese at the end, but I'm anxious to find out what comes next. I'm hooked.
Mike
Aug 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is a continuation of the saga and much of the same fun that the previous books had. I felt it was a little bit slower than the previous books and a little boring at times. I expected a little bit of that based on where the characters were in this part of the story. I'm looking forward to the next one since this one set it up to be a lot more interesting.
David
So I wondered how interesting this book could really be, when all they are doing is jumping, recharging, and jumping again. Suffice it to say, there is a fiar bit of excitement in this book.

We learn some more background on the characters, and Nathan gets stretched even more exercising command.
Scott
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Next to best one so far

Back to the character development and pacing of the first two books of the series. Definitely left me wanting more .... Immediately. I downloaded the next installment immediately and couldn't stop till they .... Well I won't spoil it for you. Enjoy!
Dale
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
There is nothing innately wrong with this book in the series it's just that it feels like the previous book was the final book in a series. This one is like the first episode of the second series of your favourite show. Nothing really happens because it's busy setting everything up for the adventure to come.
David Syzdek
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A little different, but a rollicking read

Another great "episode" by Ryk Brown. This one was a bit slower to take off and a near miss for the crew of the Aurora seemed slightly contrived, but overall this was a great book with well-developed characters and an engaging plot.
Louise Pass
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
More than space opera but still plenty of explosions.

The series continues, bringing our heroes to the point of returning to earth, this breathing opportunity, allows the further development of the main characters, and new plot points. Read this series!
Thomas James
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy Cow!

This story is more of a setup for further adventures. Thought they'd get back to Earth and the next book be a long, boring legal battle? Could still happen but not yet. The suspense is killing me!
Elle McFierce
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not the Expanse series.
Ben
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bryce Carr
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good series with very well written characters. Very much enjoyed the whole series start to finish.
Richard SIMPSON
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good reading

I have read all books in this series so far and I find them hard to put down. Good luck
Kelly Nielsen
Jul 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Rated this lower, because the foul language has been growing in this series, and this book had way to much unnecessary vocabulary.
Shelly Singhal
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Keeps the pace

At this point in the series, I'd expect the plot to flag a little bit. There's something of that with the Josh/Loki scene, but it's not bad. I didn't see the ending coming this way, but I liked it. I also want a plasma cannon for my home.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Artifice (Silver Ships, #12)
  • The Silver Ships (Silver Ships, #1)
  • Sojourn (The Silver Ships Book 13)
  • Alien Assassin (Human Chronicles, #2)
  • Méridien (Silver Ships, #3)
  • The War of Pawns (The Human Chronicles, #3)
  • Nua'll (Silver Ships, #11)
  • Libre (Silver Ships, #2)
  • Sol (Silver Ships, #5)
  • The Fringe Worlds (Human Chronicles, #1)
  • The Legend of Earth (Book 5 of The Human Chronicles Saga)
  • UnArcana Stars (Starship's Mage, #6)
  • Odysseus Ascendant (Odyssey One #7)
  • Celus-5 (Silver Ships, #8)
  • Guardian Ship
  • Spacers
  • Imperium Defiant (Light of Terra, #3)
  • Reconnaissance in Force (Empire of Bones Saga, #6)
Born in 1960 and raised on an overdose of television, NASA, and science fiction, Ryk Brown has worked as a cook, rock guitarist, stage lighting technician, and paramedic. He currently resides in Northern California with his wife, daughter, and cat. By day he fixes computers, and by night he creates stories.
Having spent his entire life "thinking stuff up", the advent of digital publishing has

The Frontiers Saga (Part 1) (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • The Legend of Corinair (The Frontiers Saga #3)
  • Freedom's Dawn (The Frontiers Saga #4)
  • Rise of the Corinari (The Frontiers Saga, #5)
  • Head of the Dragon (The Frontiers Saga, #6)
  • Celestia CV-02 (The Frontiers Saga #8)
  • Resistance (The Frontiers Saga, #9)
  • Liberation (The Frontiers Saga, #10)
  • Born of the Ashes (The Frontiers Saga, #11)
“In the end you only answer to yourself!” 1 likes