Start by marking “Oil and Water” as Want to Read:
Oil and Water

Oil and Water

Something not quite fitting together, isn't that what they mean by, "like oil and water"?

Unkempt, chubby, severely myopic and frequently incomprehensible, Enzo Leone Ferrara is an unlikely gay heartthrob. Jericho, his hunky, surfing massage therapist with the magical hands, has every faith that the shy fledgling man has it in him to soar. If, that is, he can embrace the pr
Published June 18th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Oil and Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oil and Water

Kira
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lhnb, can-t-finish
i hate to do this. i quit reading 15 pages in because i couldn't make any sense of this. not sure how many characters were in a scene, let alone who was actually talking.

also...way too many big words simply for the sake of using them. that made the whole thing come off as pretentious pseudo-art.

i'm not even sure what it was supposed to be about.

i just couldn't do it...sorry
Jul 16, 2013 rated it did not like it
Had a really hard time reading this. Quit after 20 pages or so. Way too confusing. There's a horseman on the beach in the very beginning and then a homeless guy was hired as one of the interior decorators? Still have no idea what this story is about.
Rachel Emily
Not something I would probably normally read, but I liked that it was different and funny, although hard to follow in a couple of places.
K
Jun 18, 2013 added it
Shelves: dritc
LHNB story released 18.6.13
Interesting story, but unfortunately not for me.
Goesta
Author's note / Reader's advisory:

Oil & Water is an experimental and affectionately satirical exploration of paranormal m/m romance. The reader is tipped off to this by the author referencing Kurt Schwitter's 'Ursonate', a humorous, yet strangely beautiful tone poem consisting of abstract vocal sounds and grunts. While intended to stand on its own, Oil & Water may be considered a sort of feverish fanfic based on an unpublished novel in progress (Rainfire*), which makes several periphera
Matthew
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think this was a clever idea. An interesting concept. Almost enjoyable sometimes. But mostly incomprehensible. It's written in some sort of poetic form where the perspectives are unclear (probably to the characters as well as the reader) and it is full of Italian. I am still not sure what Three Card Monty has to do with anything. Occasionally things got hot, but mostly they were weird and hard to follow. And then it ended with more people coming in.

I really wanted to like this, but I just coul
Carole-Ann
Jul 21, 2013 added it
Shelves: m-m-yummies
OK: no stars because I really do not know how to rate this one. I was vacillating between WTF and Brilliant; and it took me a while to distinguish between Enzo's and Jericho's voices, let alone the paranormal/magic stuff. :)

I'm not good at picking up satire so I'm sure I missed a few things (but that's my fault!)
So, completely different to the normal way of things in M/M, but very interesting nonetheless :)
Wendy
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: Who is 150 and why is it recommending things to me?
There are some spoilers here, so I'll say I liked the story, to sum that up, and if you don't want the story ruined, just toddle on and read it, then come back and see if you agree or disagree with me.

******************
While I was confused in a few places as to whose mind I was in, I realized that in some ways it didn't really matter--Enzo and Jericho were experiencing a sense of twinning of identities so they were literally melded together. Those are the places where it's important to know tha
Coffee
Oct 13, 2013 rated it did not like it
I just could not grasp this story at all. It was very hard to follow, and because of that, I gave up reading... it just wasn't worth the effort for me.
Silkeeeeeereads
There was zero comprehension for me with this one. It was like trying to read French for me. Sorry, it's a DNF for me.
Averin
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beta, gay-romance
A magical misfit meets a deeply closeted bonhomme, chillin' surfer. Metaphysical and extra physical activities ensue. The closet is pummeled. Oh, and satire.

It's a window into the author's forthcoming, larger (and more accessible) work Rain.
Serena
Oct 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I *think I understood what happened by the end? But, then again, I might not have at all. Very confusing. It seems to follow the internal dialogue of Yehoshua Ben Khaddouri/Jay Kat/Jericho (a kahuna haha, a healer) during a massage where things go wrong/right with a client, Enzo.
Sandra
[image error]
Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!
Victoria
Thank you Goesta Struve-Dencher for donating your story, your time and your talent.
Erik