Start by marking “The Weekend Novelist” as Want to Read:
The Weekend Novelist

The Weekend Novelist

During the week Robert J. Ray was a teacher. On weekends he learned the fiction writer's craft and produced his first novel. He ended up selling six books in six years. The same success as a writer can happen to you.His step-by-step program, the same one he uses himself and teaches in his popular fiction-writing class, organizes your writing around the weekends. Each weeke ...more
Published December 1st 1993 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Weekend Novelist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weekend Novelist

Tchatchke
Cate
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this book five stars because, in addition to the original edition of this book, it is the reason I made my first sale. Even if I hadn't, the technical craft of my writing has made leaps and bounds and it would only be a matter of time before I became published. It only makes me want to write more, and work the system again and again. I actually work the character development exercises first, then plot, but the system is easily adaptable to your writing needs. You can certain finish in way ...more
Josette
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My writing group and I read this over about five months. We read a chapter a week, trying to follow the advice the author gives for someone writing a novel in a year using only weekends. But we used the book a little differently. Many of us had already written a good part of our books and were using "The Weekend Novelist" as a way of helping us edit them.

The author has a lot of great ideas that I think are helpful. He suggests various ways of drawing diagrams as a way of planning out your story,
Juneta Key
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing-craft
Many have called this a book for plotters. It is true. Some have said it is heavy on the structure in the writing, which is true.

BUT I consider myself a pantser in writing. I struggle with too much plotting. Plus I am definitely a "right brain dominant thinker" and have had to learn to make left brain thinking and approach stronger by practicing, learning how, techniques, and I still struggle. Check out right brain dominant learning style. http://www.funderstanding.com/brain/l...

This book has a
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Oct 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing, 2011
The Weekend Novelist outlines a systematic, analytical approach to harnessing ideas and turning them into a novel. I thought that would suck the creativity right out of the process, but it manages to find a good balance.
Some of the sections weren't useful for me, particularly some of the character exercises. The plotting section, however, streamlined my path from idea to complete draft, and has completely changed my approach to writing. The section on chapter building was excellent too, and so
Kenny
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone writing their first novel
Shelves: writing-craft
Ray's book is, bar none, the very best resource for the person who is just starting to write their first novel. The book takes as its premise that while you desire to write a novel, you also have a life that requires your attention, hence the title, the "weekend" novelist. Saturday and Sunday are spent working through the exercises in the book, writing sample chapters, and at the end of 52 weeks, lo and behold, you have a complete novel. I used this marvelous book as an aid to write my first nov ...more
Christina
This and my other reviews from this year can be found on my blog, drinkingandink.

Popsugar 2016 Reading Challenge: A self-improvement book.

I struggled to find a book for this category. I can safely say it’s a genre I’ve never seriously investigated, and every one I peeked at with the reading challenge in mind made me want to vomit within a sentence or two. But recently I decided that the only thing required to qualify a book as a self-help book is that it imply that only following its recommenda
Joe
Dec 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
Mr. Ray's Weekend Novelist is an excellent reference book. However, I wouldn't necessarily use it as a template for writing a novel . . . unless you plan on writing novels similar to Mr. Ray's or to Ann Tyler's "The Accidental Tourist", the novel that Ray uses as an template throughout citing it as a perfect example of a well written novel.

For those new to the daunting task of writing a novel, this book can pigeonhole you into thinking this is the only way to tackling writing. I came across tha
Toi Thomas
I really enjoyed this book and am already applying some of the things I’ve learned from it; plus, some of the things it teaches, I had already taught myself out of instinct and necessity. While I find this book to be quite helpful in the development and writing of a novel, I don’t think it’s for all writers simply because of its restrictions.

I consider this book to be more of a writing method reference guide. A new or aspiring writer, a veteran writer looking to try a different approach (like m
James Heiney
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was good as long as you take it with the caveat that your chances in using it to actually finish a novel in 52 weeks are slim indeed unless you are already accustomed to his 'system.' That being said, the book is full of excellent exercises to deepen many aspects of your writing. From character profiles, to themes, to plot and more, he's got many good tips to enrich a new novel or an old one that got a little stale on you.
Christine Rains
A book on the craft of writing for plotters. The author explains in simple terms the very basics and expands on things with thorough examples. It provides exercises for structuring plot, creating characters, and setting. For writers who have trouble getting started, these would be excellent to try.

The one part I found most helpful was about writing synopses. I've always had trouble with them, and the author provides a strategy that is easy and could maybe make all my synopsis anxiety melt away.
John Nelson
Jun 17, 2018 rated it liked it
This book purports to show beginning writers how to write a complete novel on their weekends within a year's time. Its unlikely many people do that, and beginners probably are best served by practicing their skills on short stories rather than jumping straight to a novel. However, the book does offer a good deal of useful advice on plotting, building scenes and characters, and other elements of fiction-writing.
C.J.
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-writing
A friend loaned me her copy of this book long ago, in hopes that I would start writing fiction again. I loved it! Even bought my own copy. But, I wasn't able to write a book in the time frame Mr Ray has us aim for. It's a great book to use as an exercise & as a reference. And it's written in way that keeps your attention.
Irwan
Aug 11, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, finished
Interesting guideline for a beginning writer, presenting a concrete program to practice producing a novel.
---

Restart reading this after abandoning it for some time. Now I know why I abandoned it in the first place. Some of the practical tips could certainly be useful to plan and organize your work.

But honestly, the technicalities really sucks the fun out of it. The diagrams are stiff and formal, would have been better presented as sketches of handwritten ones than with the computerized lines a
Elizabeth
I've been working on several story ideas for nearly half my life. I never really got any of them promisingly completed. One of my New Year's resolutions is to get ONE Of them completed into either a novel or, preferably, a screenplay.

I've been working on this particular story, on and of, for about five years. Never once getting past chapter three. I'm hoping this book's guidance will help me get past that pothole and finish this book whilst I work and complete my Associate's Degree online. (As
Joy
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
While this has good guidelines - don't expect to be able to do the tasks in the timeline that he sets down unless:
you have no other life,
have no kids or other family,
eat only delivery food,
send out your laundry
have a maid that keeps you from living in a pigsty
and basically do nothing else except write.

I found it slightly unrealistic in that regard. I kept laughing and saying - this is a man with a 1950's wife who does all the grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry and child care. He onl
Jan 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Granted, this book isn't going to give you everything and I didn't read most of the books they were using as examples. But as a very organized person this book was right up my alley. It was as if someone tapped into the anal part of my mind and the creative part of my mind and said:
See, here's how you can do it!

I have not used this book from start to finish yet, like it was intended to be used, but it still has created incredible work volume and organization for me when writing.
Alexis
Aug 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I have a love/ hate relationship with this book. At times, I found its instructions to be completing frustrating. However, I think this book could be exactly what I need to plot a novel. This book really broke things down and helped me understand plot points. I'm curious to know if it would work for me.

Lacey
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing, five-star
I really like that this book is a guide to take you through the first draft of writing a novel. I enjoyed that there were writing 'assignments' to help you learn in different ways. I plan on reading this again as I start a draft. Really looking forward to writing with this book in the weekly processes described in the book.
Kristin Dow
Think this method either works for you or it doesn't. I didn't stick it out but found valuable lessons and insight into writing a novel. Ray helps to break down the fundamentals, tools to apply when faced with the daunting challenge of writing a novel.
Megan Anderson
A great book for the budding author with little time. Useful tips and strategies, and a plan for what to do each week to finish a novel. The only forseeable problem: only writing on the weekends! An incredibly useful tool.

5/5 on here, 10/10 for myself
Cassandra Mortmain
A truly awful book, with stupid advices such as: "To explore ther power of scene-sequence, let's take a close look at one of the film adaptations of Jane Eyre."

How about just going straight to the original, you know, the NOVEL?
Dee Renee  Chesnut
Feb 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dee Renee by: drchesnutwriter@hotmail.com
What if you I started the suggested preparations from this book, 21 weeks (early June) before November's NaNoWriMo? What if you I use NaNoWriMo deadlines to write the discovery draft? Sounds like an excellent opportunity to me!
L.A. Jacob
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't take a whole year...trying to do it in a few months, instead. I don't have time to take a whole year to do it.
Victoria
Invaluable
Charles
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
If you write every day, close your eyes, wrinkle your nose, turn around three times, wish real hard, and only do the first thing I said, you'll be a writer in (no - deleted) time.
Ruby Hollyberry
Sep 17, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Didn't do me any good, maybe it will you.
Dan Schwent
Jan 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf
This is an okay book on writing but only writing on the weekend doesn't really work for me. There are some good tips inside but, again, they'd best be applied on a more frequent basis.
Tobin Elliott
I won't rate this one, because I didn't come close to finishing. A little too basic for me.
The Insecure Writ...: The Weekend Novelist Discussion 16 29 Jan 29, 2018 09:38AM
  • Fiction Writer's Workshop
  • How to Write a Damn Good Novel, II: Advanced Techniques for Dramatic Storytelling
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • Telling Lies for Fun & Profit
  • A Writer's Time: Making the Time to Write
  • What If?: Writing Exercises for Fiction Writers
  • The Writer's Idea Book
  • Writing from the Inside Out: Transforming Your Psychological Blocks to Release the Writer Within
  • Immediate Fiction: A Complete Writing Course
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • Write Away: One Novelist's Approach to Fiction and the Writing Life
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • One Year to a Writing Life: Twelve Lessons to Deepen Every Writer's Art and Craft
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
Robert J. Ray is the author of the writing guide The Weekend Novelist and eight Matt Murdock mysteries, including Murdock Cracks Ice.

He has taught college literature, writing, and tennis. He lives in Seattle.