Start by marking “Conan the Conqueror” as Want to Read:
Conan the Conqueror

Conan the Conqueror (Lancer/Ace Uniform Edition of Conan #5)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  3,354 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Retitled from "The Hour of the Dragon," the only full-length Conan novel written by Howard himself.
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published May 15th 1983 by Charter Communications Inc (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about Conan the Conqueror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan the Conqueror

Jason Koivu
When you think of Conan you think of this...

description

Then you think of the screaming barbarian...

description

Whoops, sorry, I meant this...

description

But if you read one of Robert Howard's original Conan the Barbarian stories what you get is something that should be titled Conan the Part-Time Barbarian, Part-Time Diplomat, because there is WAY more talk and politics than expected.

What did I expect? I thought I'd get more fighting, more monsters and just more action in general. What I got was a whole lotta this *makes talking
Tosh
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
...the hour of the Dragon has come…

After reading one of Howard's shortstory collections I discovered he'd also written a full length Conan novel. The one and only - originally written in five parts for the magazine Weird Tales under the title The Hour of the Dragon, then eventually published as a book under a new title. Apparently a publishing company looking to fit this novel in with a themed series of Conan stories decided that Conan the Conqueror was more appropriate. Personally, I like the
S.E. Lindberg
"From death to death [ The Heart of Ahriman]  came, riding on a river of human blood. Blood feeds it, blood draws it. Its power is greatest when there is blood on the hands that grasp it, when it is wrested by slaughter from its holder. Wherever it gleams, blood is spilt and kingdoms totter, and the forc es of nature are put in turmoil." --  Thutothmes of Khemi (The Hour of The Dragon, by REH)

The Hour of the Dragon (1934-1936), is Robert E. Howard''s only full length novel of Conan, the barb
Jim
I'm reading an online version on Wikisource. I think this is the original that was published as a serial in the pulps.

This is a great Conan adventure that winds up showing us a lot of his previous life, so that makes it a lot of fun. All the convenient elements got to me, though. One or two in a short story are fine, but an entire novel was too much. (view spoiler)
Artemas
Apr 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some wicked dark sorcery in this one.
Derek
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could read this many times (three, so far) and pick out some new facet each time. F'instance:

* Howard touches several times on the theme that Conan's lone-wolf nature is both strength and weakness. He is dedicated to his kingdom, but is not committed to it: he neither married nor produced an heir. Upon his presumed death, the barons cannot rally around an heir and thus the center of the kingdom will not hold.

* A foozle quest--in this case the Heart of Ahriman--is required to save the kingdom,
V.
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The problem with a lot of genre classics is that their ideas have been ripped off so often they end up reading like they're full of cliches even though they were the originators of those familiar tropes.

But when it comes to the best of the pulp writers there's an electric vibe that runs through them that doesn't fade. Like the stories of Raymond Chandler or Lovecraft or even Poe, they're just very entertaining and fun.

Conan stories vary in quality, but this one, the only full-length novel, has
Jack
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book, Robert E. Howard proved that he could maintain the skillful prose and pacing of his Conan short stories in a full-length novel.

Wonderful passage:

They traversed a long, dark, vaulted corridor in which, Conan noticed uneasily, the skull on the staff glowed phosphorescently. He felt a surge of unreasoning, wild animal panic that urged him to rip out his knife and slash right and left at these uncanny figures, to flee madly from this grim, dark temple. But he held himself in check,
J.j. Metsavana
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Puhas tükk iidsetest ulmekirjanduse katakombidest pärit kulda. Kaetud kummaliste graveeringute, ammu unustatud keeles kirjutatud ruunide ning paljude seda näpata üritanud fantaasiakirjanike aastakümneid tagasi kuivanud vereplekkidega. Salapärane kuju aga särab edasi ja teeb seda ka kaua peale meie surma. Las barbarid uputavad maailma young-adulti või vampiirikroonikate alla, vana artefakt elab kõik nad oma varjatud peidupaigas üle ja särab endiselt kirkalt ka palju aega peale kõigi nende loendam ...more
Arley Dial
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this final (chronologically) Conan story, Howard demonstrates why he was one of the best adventure writers of all time. In the only novel he ever produced, Howard is able to maintain the blistering pace he is known for, while still weaving a complex and interesting tale. The story is set during Conan's time as King of Aquilonia, which is a period in the hero's life often overlooked (I'm looking at you, Hollywood.) In act one, King Conan is defeated and the kindom is wrested from his grasp. We ...more
Terence
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Conan fans
Shelves: sf-fantasy
The only Conan novel written by Howard, The Hour of the Dragon delivers everything a fan of the Cimmerian would want - beautiful women needing rescue, several evil wizards to defeat, and a well-paced adventure that has Conan striving to recover the Aquilonian throne and thwart the efforts of Xaltotun to restore the empire of Acheron. This is the umpteenth time I've read the novel since acquiring this Sci-Fi Book Club edition almost 30 years ago and it's still great fun.

I like to believe the foll
Joe Russomanno
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For people that don't know, Howard is the Father of Modern day Sword and Sorcery. For people that think he invented it, all I can say is see the King Arthur legend and even that isn't the first.

As for this particular story. If you think Lord of the Rings etc. are the centerpieces for fantasy fiction, well you're mistaken. This right here should and is in my opinion, the crown jewel of fantasy fiction.

An evil wizard with power beyond belief. Treacherous rulers who plot against the hero. Epic bat
Charles
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My edition is from Berkley. This is Howard's novel of Conan with minimal editing.

Howard's only full length novel about Conan, and it contains some sections that are loose rewrites of a few of the Conan stories. This is a really enjoyable novel, with great atomsphere and action.
Gabriel Wallis
May 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, favorites
Michael
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Book 9 in my re-read of the Conan series. Spoilers ahead!

Conan the Conqueror picks up two years after the events in The Scarlet Citadel, and is essentially the same story expanded into novel length. Luckily, I enjoyed The Scarlet Citadel, so I didn't mind the extended do over. And really, if you've made it this far in the series, you should be no stranger to treading familiar ground. Much of the story is comprised of Conan in pursuit of an ancient jewel, the Heart of Ahriman, that will allow him
Mark Stone
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To think that as good as Howard was writing Sword & Sorcery he was even better in writing Westerns according to his contemporaries. While I haven't read his Westerns to comment on that comparison personally, I can tell you that The Hour of the Dragon is perhaps Howard's finest writing in the Sword & Sorcery genre. Some of what happens is a little too happenstance for me, but that wasn't enough for me to knock this book from 5 stars to 4. An incredible read; a must read for those of us wh ...more
Rob
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Howard's only novel-length tale of the redoubtable Cimmerian. When serialized in Weird Tales, it was titled 'Hour of the Dragon,' which de Camp said had little to do with the story. As if "Conan the Conqueror" does.

To me this is the last truly worthwhile book in this series. The tales after this are almost wholly not Howard's work (unless you count some vague notes), and it shows.

This was my first exposure to Conan, other than Marvel Comics. I preferred this to the comics, but I prefer the earl
Charles
Jan 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This basically "Hour of the Dragon" retitled to fit the series demands, and edited by L. Sprague De Camp, even though it really didn't need any editing. Still, the power of the original certainly shines through here.
Сибин Майналовски
Е точно това не ми хареса. Не знам защо, ама четенето беше чиста мъка. Две звездички отгоре заради баце Конан, че, както всички знаем, той е най-големия, ама... излагация. Даже и годината на написване (1934) не го оправдава :(
Lior
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can Epic Fantasy get any better than this? In the only Conan novel written by Robert E. Howard himself, an evil wizard dead for 3,000 years is resurrected by a group of usurpers to help them take over Conan's throne in Aquilonia, and ultimately, take over the entire Hyborian kingdoms. The story is fast-paced, inventive and exciting. Conan is what he is. A rough and tough Barbarian, but also a man of honor and integrity. Really amazing when you realize this was written in the 1930's before Epic F ...more
Bettie☯
Mar 04, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: published-1936

Opening: The long tapers flickered, sending the black shadows wavering along the walls, and the velvet tapestries rippled. Yet there was no wind in the chamber. Four men stood about the ebony table on which lay the green sarcophagus that gleamed like carven jade. In the upraised right hand of each man a curious black candle burned with a weird greenish light. Outside was night and a lost wind moaning among the black trees.

Timothy Boyd
Jan 23, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only Conan novel Howard wrote. Robert E. Howard is my all time favorite writer, but for many years much of his work was heavily edited. This is another of the heavily edited collections of Robert E. Howard's stories. I am a purist when it comes to a writers works. I know some of these stories are no longer PC but they should be read as Howard wrote them and understood that he wrote in another time period. Don't read this book unless you just can't find any others of Howard's unedited books t ...more
Pinkyivan
Great pulp, but much like Neuromancer offers little that hasn't been canibalised by other authors over multiple media.
Peter Blaisdell
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Howard's only full length Conan book is the very definition of sword and sorcery. This story has also been entitled, THE HOUR OF THE DRAGON. Though the author wrote in the 1930s, a great deal of modern epic fantasy is informed by the vivid, fluid approach Howard takes in telling his tales.

In THE HOUR OF THE DRAGON, Howard wastes little time on characterization or description, instead focusing on headlong forward momentum for his plot wherein Conan confronts a fantastically evil wizard returned
Angel
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Según pone en el prólogo, esta es la única novela que escribió Howard sobre Conan, el resto de libros se componen de recopilaciones de historias con un mismo marco temporal, eso le da a este libro un dinamismo que otros no tienen, al tener una mayor extensión, el autor se recrea más en los detalles, se podría decir que este libro, por medio de su argumento, da un repaso a toda la historia de Conan, desde que salió de Cimmeria hasta el momento actual.
Quizas peque de una resolución bastante rápida
Aaron White
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great final book in the Donald Grant series of Conan books. I liked this one the best of all, I believe, because it is a full-length novel. It gave me more time to get invested in the characters and story. However, this is still a full-speed ride throughout. The length doesn't change the essential nature of Howard's writing style.
Ajeje Brazov
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E' stata una rivelazione assoluta, non mi aspettavo che mi piacesse così tanto, scritto molto bene, sembrava di essere lì affianco a Conan a vivere quest'avventura incredibile, fatta di magia, energumeni dalla forza erculea, di astuzia, di amore, di lealtà, brutalità e leggende barbare...
Conan lo conoscevo più che altro come film (soprattutto quelli con Schwarzenegger) e non mi avevano mai esaltato più di tanto, invece il libro (almeno questa prima avventura dove Conan vuole riconquistare l'Aqui
William
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, dragons
I always liked the Conan the Barbarian movie. I think I became interested in Robert E. Howard, because, like his contemporary, H.P. Lovecraft, it seemed he was very generous in letting other people write Conan stories. I became more interested when I read a snippet of "By This Axe I Rule!" in an article about Howard in the, now defunct, Clockwork Storybook.

So I read the King Kull stories and surely, "By This Axe I Rule!" is a great one. I was impressed with the imagination and energy of the stor
Matt Holmes
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will call it "surprisingly good".

Howard's whole appeal is you can't put his stories down. No matter how corny they get, you keep turning the pages because his writing is so crisp and evocative that you need to know who Bronan the Insanian is going to decapitate next, and why, although the why is rarely fleshed out.

I didn't figure he would've been able to keep this up for a full novel, but he did, and it breezed by like one of his short stories. It was a Conan story, so talking about the plot w
  • Conan of the Isles (Conan 12)
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Unconquered (Conan, #3)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4)
  • Conan The Hero
Robert Ervin Howard was an American pulp writer of fantasy, horror, historical adventure, boxing, western, and detective fiction. Howard wrote "over three-hundred stories and seven-hundred poems of raw power and unbridled emotion" and is especially noted for his memorable depictions of "a sombre universe of swashbuckling adventure and darkling horror."

He is well known for having created — in the p
More about Robert E. Howard...