Start by marking “Landline” as Want to Read:
Landline

Read Excerpt

Landline

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  134,674 Ratings  ·  16,903 Reviews
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV write
Published July 8th 2014 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Landline, please sign up.
Alex Absolutely not! This is in no way a good book to try and get back into the romance genre. The writing is juvenile, all the characters are unlikeable,…moreAbsolutely not! This is in no way a good book to try and get back into the romance genre. The writing is juvenile, all the characters are unlikeable, and ultimately the whole story unbelievable. I'm just annoyed at myself for having wasted time reading the whole thing. (less)

Nikki Plummer
Apr 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved all Rainbow Rowell's other books, but this one just didn't do it for me. The premise was ridiculous and I hated pretty much every character except Heather. Especially Neal, GOD I hated Neal, what an awful, miserable person. I'm really confused as to how he's supposed to be an appealing character since he's not even described with any redeeming qualities really - a short, fat guy who never laughs, smiles or expresses his feelings in any way, apart from just silently projecting misery a ...more
Ashley
Updated September 6, 2014: Ugh, trying to write about each successive Rainbow Rowell novel gets more and more difficult. How many different ways are there to say THIS WAS SO GOOD. HER WORDS ARE SO GOOD. HER CHARACTERS SO GOOD. EVERYTHING GOOD. RELATE SO MUCH. HELP.

That's pretty much all I feel like saying, because even over a month later, my feelings about this book are so jumbly wumbly it's hard to get them to sit still long enough to make them cohesive enough to write about.

Granted, having nev
Wendy Darling
DNF about halfway through. As always, I like the author's narrative voice, but as a character sketch of a marriage, this wasn't quite sharp enough or funny enough or emotional enough for my taste. I also find Georgie's profession rather jarring, in that it was rather unrealistically portrayed in both the details and in Georgie's character. Had I never read Liane Moriarty, who writes excellent books that humorously dissect marriages and relationships, and had I never worked in entertainment, I mi ...more
Ariel
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this book hasn't been released yet (MWAHAHA I READ IT BEFORE EVERYONE!) I'm not going to say too much here, but I will be mentioning it on my channel closer to the release date. For now, here is a little blurb of my thoughts:

This was a really different read, and I realized when finishing it that a big part of that is because it is NOT Young Adult. The cover looks it, Rainbow Rowell writes young adult, but this is adult and it shows. It's darker, it's more realistic, and it's less idealisti
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
"You don't know when you're twenty-three.

You don't know what it really means to crawl into someone else's life and stay there. You can't see all the ways you're going to get tangled, how you're going to bond skin to skin. How the idea of separating will feel in five years, in ten -- in fifteen...

She didn't know it at twenty-three."

This book guys. THIS BOOK. I finished this book in a handful amount of hours in one sitting. Now I know why everybody seems to praise Rainbow Rowell so much. She
Elyse
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I saw a friend reading this book just now - and remembered I read it early last year. Since it won "BEST FICTION" on Goodreads in 2014.....I figured then it must be worth a $1.99. ...( the sale price at the time).
It was sooooo 'fair' that when I saw that my overdrive library had it available, too, - I thought it might be better as an audio -- afterall - the name of the book is called "Landline".

Well- reading it - or listening to it - I enjoyed this conversation ( the story), for about as long a
Nat
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it

or Fate, Time, Television and True Love

The funny thing with Landline is that I didn’t even fully mean to reread it, I just started the first few pages and then bang I was flying through it in true Rainbow Rowell fashion (see: Why I Fangirl over Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl (Spoilers: Levi)). I felt like I was at an all-you-can-eat buffet, filling myself with one more page, one more...

Source
As far as time machines go, a magic telephone is pretty useless.

TV writer Georgie McCool can’t actually vis
Maureen
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
IMPORTANT NOTE: if you don't want to be spoiled for the TV show lost, hold off on reading this book until you are done watching it. ~*~PSA OVER~*~

I really enjoyed this book a lot. It may be more of a 4.5...I'll have to sit on it. It's heartbreaking and wonderful and full of feels, but still not my favorite Rowell book I don't think. Pretty great nonetheless!
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Not quite three stars but almost there.^^

Oh wow! I never thought I’d say this of a Rainbow Rowell novel but my reading experience with this one bordered between a little “meh” and sort of “like”. It’s interesting because it’s a story about an old yellow landline that magically lets 2013 Georgie talk to her husband, Neal, in his 1998 version. It’s a little “meh” because after more than 310 pages, nothing big really happened.

Georgie and Neal’s marriage is at the brink of falling off the cliff
Jen
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Landline = Lame. Seriously, this won goodreads best fiction book in 2014? I beg to differ. This was predictable and boring. A landline to the past Georgie uses to contact her current husband who has decided to spend Christmas with his 2 daughters at his family's home in Omaha. Why? Because Georgie is a comedy writer and has to work on a show. I don't get the hype around this one - wasn't worth the read and I'm glad I didn't purchase it.
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, to-buy
“That's what love is, Georgie. Accidental damage protection.”

3.5/5 stars

After reading Fangirl, Rainbow Rowell had a safe and warm place in my booklover's heart. Of course I was thrilled to get my hands on Landline.
First things first: the novel is dedicated to "Kai". Big plus Mrs. Rowell, very big plus!

It was easy and nice reading Landline, but the plot was weak, to be frank. There wasn't much happening, characters and not answered phone calls and a self-pitying protagonist kept bothering me. I w
Jaime Arkin
Everything about this was exactly perfect.... I can't wait to own a copy.

Full review to come soon

photo tumblr_inline_mh1cg1mF7R1rw0h4g_zps9ac9959f.gif
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
3.5*
I really enjoyed this! Georgie was a bit of a frustrating character at times but overall it was a really cute read! Video review to come!
Theresa
Meow! Ah, Rainbow Rowell, you have stolen my heart yet again. Another beautiful, heartfelt, emotionally rewarding, and insanely hilarious novel from start to finish. This book made me smile. Rowell's novels are like comfort food. They always make you feel warm and happy inside. Georgie McCool, you're one crazy nut, and Neal, you're the coolest little hobbit I ever did know. lol I enjoyed reading about Georgie and Neal's backstory as a couple. Rowell's various characters are relatable, quirky, si ...more
Giselle
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, arc
Landline is different from what I expected: first of all it's an adult book which I only realized when I started it, but this is totally my fault and also not a bad thing. I was due for an adult book. And, unlike her usual contemporary reads, this one has a bit of a paranormal vibe to it. I'm not sure how I felt about this at first, I loved the mind-f*ck nature of it, but it has an element that very rarely impresses me (view spoiler), so I was afraid of the directio ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 12/20/17: Omg. Guys. I just read this book for the first time while in a serious relationship and I have to say: I love it more than ever before. The dynamic between Georgie and Neal feels even more real to me now that I have more ~experience~ and I just love this book so damn much and for some reason I'm crying????????? Like da fuck I've never cried reading this book before excuse me while I'm all up in my feels D;

Re-read 12/8/15: Still loved this so, so much. I want a Neal of my own. *
Elisabeth
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

Love love loved it! I would've given it 5, but it ended too soon!!
Ally  Cakes
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I need this book now. Everything Rowell touches turns to gold. Love all her books. How can you not? Lincoln, Park and Levi. Need I say more??!
Mayra Sigwalt
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: livros-que-tenho
4.5
Esse livro falou muito comigo e me emocionei muitas vezes durante a leitura. Ele toca num dos medos que sempre tive e que no momento em q estou vivendo agora, isso é ainda mais evidente.
Sabe quando está tudo lindo no seu relacionamento e parece que se melhorar estraga? Quando as coisas em volta de vc podem não dar certo, mas aquilo sempre dá? Só que depois de anos num relacionamento estável, morando juntos, chegando perto dos 30, vem aquelas questões: casamento? Filhos?
E esse livro trata mu
Robin (Bridge Four)
“Fitting together is something you work at. It’s something you make happen—because you love each other.

There are reasons that this book resonates with me. It hits home on so many of my own fears and hopes and dreams. Not so much the magic telephone part of it because I came from a time when rotary phones weren’t just a novelty item but the I’ve been with the same person for so long that sometimes I forget we are two individual people instead of just one entity.
You don't know what it really
Maria Angelica
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tenho, lido-2016, fav2016
4.5
Antes de falar o que eu achei desse livro, quero deixar BEM CLARO que ele é um livro adulto. Se você ainda não teve um relacionamento sério com alguém, talvez essa não seja uma estória que irá apreciar. Vai depender mesmo de quais são as suas expectativas em relação a um relacionamento sério, na verdade. Eu tinha uma ideia completamente enganada do que era antes de iniciar um com o meu marido e agora sei que é um esforço diário para mantê-lo. Que não é só amar alguém como mágica.
Esse livro m
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5 stars*

WAY better than I was expecting. I sort of fell in love with this one.

When it comes to audiobooks, it is nearly impossible to sort out what is good simply because the writing was good and what was good because the narrator was good. In this case, it was both. This is the second audiobook that I've listened to from Rainbow Rowell, the first being Attachments, and both narrators were amazing. Rebecca Lowman was a total pro, nailing each character. Her male voices were sexy, something th
Victor Almeida
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
MEU. DEUS. DO CÉU. Só isso mesmo. Meu Deus do céu. A única opinião que consigo formar.

Esse livro foi incrível e apaixonante do começo ao fim. Me senti preso desde a primeira página, me apeguei aos personagens com uma velocidade surpreendente e meu coração simplesmente se entregou à leitura. Mais uma vez, Rainbow conseguiu acertar em cheio em escrever uma história 100% relacionável. À medida que eu lia, parece que tirava conselhos e aprendizados pra minha própria vida, sabe? Eu simplesmente amo q
Carol

I really thought I was going to like this novel, but in truth had to force myself to finish it. The storyline is interesting.....Dad plays Mr. Mom with two cute kids and breadwinner Mom chooses work over family during the holidays that puts further strain on the marriage (no spoiler here).......but the dialogue (on and off the magic time-traveling phone) was just a bit too contrived, and at times, even pointless and corny.....but hey, do not listen to me. This novel won the 2014 GR Best

Cat
Dec 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-in-2014
I always find it quite a shame when the concept of a book is thwarted by its development. Like the author came up with a great idea for a book but wasn't able to write down a story up to the standards of that idea.

That's what I feel that happened with 'Landline'. The idea that somebody in the present could talk with someone from the past over a landline phone sounds really interesting. The way Rowell spun her story around this idea was not so.

A thirty seven year-old woman named Georgie McCool ch
Whitney Atkinson
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015

As always, Rainbow created another great, realistic cast of characters. But this plot I felt was a little bit dry and in the end, it was anticlimactic and there were several loose ends. My least favorite by Rowell, as expected.
Steph Sinclair
More of a 3.5.

Georgie McCool is at the peak of her TV writing career with the news of the one show she and her best friend, Seth, had been dreaming about since they first started working together right out of college. It’s everything she’s ever wanted. The only problem is, she’d have to skip the family Christmas vacation to Omaha that’s been planned weeks in advanced. Neal, being the kind and loving husband that he is, doesn’t push her, but is visibly upset that Georgie considers staying behind
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Gah. People just do not appreciate how good Rainbow Rowell's writing is. Oh well. I suppose it's to be expected considering we are living in the age of the overwrought cliche and the weird sex-type-thing.

I'll admit I wasn't as excited about Landline as I was about Rowell's other books, so color me genuinely surprised when I liked this one as much as I did. Her dialogue is stellar, and I always manage to find myself amazed at how easy it is. How natural and real and flowing. People do speak to ea
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
I found it to be pretty boring all the way through :(
Sarah (Starry Night Reader)
Hmmm.. I have mixed feelings about this book. It's basically everything I feared when I thought of Rainbow Rowell's books as fluffy romance novels, but I do think it delivered an insightful and important message. Also, this is probably the perfect book to read as the holidays approach, as it gives you those warm and fuzzy I'm-so-thankful-for-everyone-in-my-life feelings.

The main character, Georgie McCool, begins to reflect on the problems and nature of her marriage when her husband Neal takes th
Around the Year i...: Landline, by Rainbow Rowell 11 88 May 11, 2018 09:20PM
Caleb Johnson Book Review # 9 1 4 Apr 20, 2018 04:16PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Landline by Rainbow Rowell - Restarting February 5th 2018 68 223 Feb 07, 2018 03:29PM
Open Book Club: Landline 02-20-2018 1 3 Jan 22, 2018 11:48AM
  • How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky
  • Anatomy of a Misfit
  • Falling into Place
  • This Side of Salvation
  • The Shadow Cabinet (Shades of London, #3)
  • Rooms
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Things You Won't Say
  • Sway
  • Love and Other Foreign Words
  • A Reunion of Ghosts
  • The Hundred-Year House
Rainbow Rowell writes books. Sometimes she writes about adults (ATTACHMENTS and LANDLINE). Sometimes she writes about teenagers (ELEANOR & PARK and FANGIRL). But she always writes about people who talk a lot. And people who feel like they're screwing up. And people who fall in love.

When she's not writing, Rainbow is reading comic books, planning Disney World trips and arguing about things that
More about Rainbow Rowell

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“I love you more than I hate everything else.” 619 likes
“Nobody's lives just fit together. Fitting together is something you work at. It's something you make happen - because you love each other.” 418 likes