Start by marking “Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven (SG1, #11)” as Want to Read:
Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven (SG1, #11)

Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven

(Stargate SG-1 #11)

Alternate-cover edition for ISBN: 1905586051.
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published January 25th 2008 by Fandemonium Books (first published January 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stargate SG-1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stargate SG-1

Start your review of Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven (SG1, #11)
StrangeBedfellows
As much as I adore the television series, I was dubious about these tie-in books. I was convinced the authors of these books would fail at capturing the essence of the show or, most unforgivable, poorly portray the characters and their dynamics. I was desperate for more Stargatey goodness, though, so I scoured the reviews on Amazon and finally settled on "Barque of Heaven" as my intro to the Fandemonium series.

The verdict: excellent.

Not only does author Suzanne Wood capture everything that I l
Finn
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most excellent read this one.

You get swept up into the Trial of Moons, and before you know it, you're almost actively helping SG-1 gate from one planet to the next, anxious when they seem to take too long to get back to the stargate or miss out on finding the address or password to the next planet.

No spoilers here, but this book is a great way of showing what could have been just one of the consequences of killing Ra.
Also, I'm particularly pleased to see the use of the Egyptian names of the gods
Anastasia
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to find out that this is Suzanne Wood's first novel. It's well thought out, nailed the characters and team dynamics dead on. I especially enjoyed the way she's written Daniel Jackson. If you're a fan of the show, the book is a great read. If you've never seen the show, some things might confuse you as the author doesn't particularly explain the characters' backgrounds as well as the Goa'uld (but a reader, even one unfamiliar to Stargate SG1 and its mythology can definitely put tw ...more
Robyn
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll be honest. I was more than a little timid about reading this book. After all, it's one thing to be into a TV show, and something else entirely to start reading fanon novels.

My doubts were more than subdued. "Barque" is a good story, one with enough plot, character development, and interesting elements for me to like it based on its own merit, not its connection to SG-1. As others have said before me, it does a good job at staying consistent with the canon, while still managing to add to
Elaine
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, good use of the team and its dynamics; they're not all split up and worrying about each other ad nauseum but working together as a cohesive unit. In character, plausible - I like it! I might have wanted a little bit more at the end, but then I may be spoiled by fan fiction.
Craterdweller
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stargate, owned-books
Not bad for a first novel

The plot was really interesting and kept things moving. Thought the characters were slightly off, particularly Carter, but nothing that was so distracting as to make me want to put it down.
Jenna
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Started out slow, but really picked up later on. As always the humor was amazing ;)
Sacha Valero
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, stargate
This story takes place after the Deadman's Switch episode.

SG-1 has been given a gate address from the Tok' ra that they're told was an old base of Ra. After they arrive the discover that when they dial, the chevron's will light up, but no wormhole will form.

After looking at the surrounding structures they learn that it was indeed a planet controlled by Ra, but it's also the start of a trial that Ra set up long ago. They have to solve a puzzle to obtain a gate address for the next planet. During
James Joyce
To be honest, I couldn't finish it, but I still feel that I read (too) far enough to make a judgement: holy terrible.

Can I swear the author wouldn't write good stories in her own universe? No, I guess not. But a lot of it was just stereotypical character-type writing. It really, honestly felt like the author had not seen a single episode, beyond maybe the first. And was just mimicking "the studious nerd" and "the thoughtful warrior" and etc., with no concept of who those characters actually are.
Ida Leter
MUCH too long. I was into it at the very beginning, after the first couple of worlds I kind of started wanting them to hurry along, and by the end of it I was so tired of it, I wanted to break something. If there was some point to these trials, some connective tissue that held it all together beyond "and then they went to this planet and did this thing, and it was very difficult, but they managed to get out in the nick of time to go to the next world in the sequence" repeated 13 times, I might b ...more
Heather
The Trial of Moons is a great storytelling device on two levels. First, it fits in nicely with the SG-1 mythology and Jack and Daniel's history with Ra. It also keeps the story moving at a fast clip with the deadlines to get through each Stargate. The characters are focused on the puzzles and survival, so while there are moments of reflection and team bonding, there isn't a lot of downtime for anything else. This is a pure SG-1 adventure story.
julia
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I had so much fun reading this. The actual story and the setting are really interesting and I never wanted to put the book down and wanted to see what the next planet would be like. Towards the end the story becomes really intense and I just had to keep reading. I also really loved how the friendships between everyone on the team were portrayed. Really happy I picked this one to read.
Kasey Minnis
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read

I was nervous when I read the synopsis. The story could easily become a slog as the team faces puzzle after puzzle, but the author manages to make it interesting and entertaining throughout. It feels very connected to the Stargate canon, as well.
Daniel Gaul
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! A thrilling roller-coaster adventure from start to finish!!
Lauren
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so good!! So many amazing team moments, whump, Danny whump, protective Jack, Sam and Teal'c and everyone all helping each other . . . so good.

Also, was Bes an Ancient?
Elizabeth Shaw
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love, love, love this book! It’s my favorite in the series so far!!!
SixBeforeLunch
Zelda of Unapologetic Reviews
This story takes place during 3rd season. You definitely need to know the series up to that point, but not the previous book.
The story itself is pretty exciting. As can be seen from the summary, they are going from planet to planet in a test. It's very hard to stop reading, because you keep wondering how they are going to get the address and password to the next gate, and when they go through, what's going to be the next challenge. Though there are more exciting planets than others, but if we we
Bruce
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonder surprise! I've never read any fan fiction before, and admittedly even looked down on it. I'm a long time fan of the Stargate franchise, and have been re-living all the SG-1 episodes on Amazon Prime. I'm coming up on the end up season 10, have already re-watched SGA and SGU, so thought I'd risk a fan book to keep the love alive. A little Goodreads research told me Barque of Heaven was my best bet, and I wasn't disappointed for a second. Suzanne Wood has done an amazing job with the ...more
Beverly K
One of the best books I read dealing with Stargate SG-1. It was like reading an action packed episode, and I never wanted to put it down. However, I did notice the way she wrote the characters seemed to suggest a closer relationship between Sam and Daniel than I thought the show had evidence for.

I could hear the characters in my head, when she wrote it, and I haven't seen the show in a while.

The writer must have thoroughly researched her stuff, in order to know Egyptian mythology so well. I wa
Adam
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good Stargate novel, well written, great concept and the characters were written as they are in the series.
The plot tries to rectify the inconsistencies between the series and the original movie regarding Ra, and does so very well. It's an interesting take on it and does make it all fit together much better. The attention to detail was good as well, particularly with the 'gate symbol names which have only been briefly mentioned so far in Stargate.
Plenty of action and some great character
Roxane
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fandom
Really glad I bought this book! Great characterizations and great storytelling. I bought it because it was probably the most recommended of the Stargate books characterization-wise. I'm looking forward to reading some of the others to compare, but I was very happy with this book. It shows that the author is a fan, she knows what she's talking about, she knows the universe and the mythology.

A great book, especially for the Daniel Jackson fans like myself ;D
Kat
Sep 16, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this much more than some previous titles in the series. I found it to be a good team story, though it did have a few faults. In particular, I tend to dislike the reset-button resolution and this seems to happen fairly regularly in these books. Still, it was a good story and kept my interest through the entire book.
Miss Clark
I consider this one the very best SG novel, to date, to have been published by Fandemonium. Wood, almost entirely throughout, with a small number of misses, got the team dynamic down, especially their friendship and family ties to each other. Interesting story. Pretty well written. Less typos than normal. It was a good day. Good story. Will definitely read again.
Andrew Price
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the best Stargate book I have read. It was hard for me to believe that this was the author's first published book. The story has SG-1 stuck completing the Trial of the Moons, set up by Ra before his death. The novel is fun and well written, although there are some odd parts, I think that 13 gates may have been too many and the author ran out of ideas, I would have as well.
Marzia
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I bought this book after hearing many positive comments about it, and I have to say, I was not disappointed. The author's characterization is flawless and the plot is well-thought and very interesting; definitely a book that keeps your eyes glued to the pages, eager to find out what happens next.
Jonathan Martin
A nice way to continue the story of the Egyptian god Ra from the original movie, although a little more supernatural in places than sci-fi. Enjoyed the variety of planets and puzzles the team had to solve on their journey. Nice tie-ins with the Ancients and ascended beings.
Dustin
Jul 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, sci-fi, modern
I liked it. It started to feel a little long near the end, and the ending was a little abrupt, but I enjoyed the way the characters were written and that it wasn't yet another Kinsey scheme. I'd recommend it to fans of the series.
Dawn
Oct 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually one of the better Stargate books as far as writing goes but if you've read any of them then be prepared for the same old, same old; The team get whisked away to an alien planet by the Gould, Daniel gets injured etc...
Arrietty
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book. At first I wasn't too sure if I was going to like it, but after a while I began to enjoy it immensely. Certainly not a boring book by any means.

• Stargate SG-1: Permafrost (SGX #2)
  • Death Game (Stargate Atlantis, #14)
  • Casualties of War (Stargate Atlantis, #7)
  • Homecoming (Stargate Atlantis, #16)
  • Allegiance  (Stargate Atlantis, #18)
  • The Lost (Stargate Atlantis, #17)
  • Blood Ties (Stargate Atlantis, #8)
  • The Furies (Stargate Atlantis, #19)
  • Rising (Stargate Atlantis, #1)
  • STARGATE SG-1: Infiltration
  • Entanglement (Stargate Atlantis, #6)
  • Angelus (Stargate Atlantis, #11)
  • Reliquary (Stargate Atlantis, #2)
  • The Steam Pump Jump (The Chronicles of St Mary’s, #9.6)
  • When Did You Last See Your Father? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #10.5)
  • Why Is Nothing Ever Simple? (The Chronicles of St. Mary's, #10.6)
  • Scholomance 2: The Devil's Academy (Scholomance, #2)
  • Peanuts: Where Beagles Dare

Stargate SG-1 (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Trial by Fire (Stargate SG-1, #1)
  • Sacrifice Moon (Stargate SG-1 #2)
  • A Matter of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #3)
  • City of the Gods (Stargate SG-1, #4)
  • The Cost of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #5)
  • Siren Song (Stargate SG-1, #6)
  • Survival of the Fittest (Stargate SG-1, #7)
  • Alliances (Stargate SG-1, #8)
  • Roswell (Stargate SG-1, #9)
  • Relativity (Stargate SG-1, #10)