Start by marking “The Admirable Crichton” as Want to Read:
The Admirable Crichton

The Admirable Crichton

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  338 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Sir James Matthew Barrie, 1st Baronet, OM (9 May 1860 - 19 June 1937), more commonly known as J. M. Barrie, was a Scottish novelist and dramatist. He is best remembered for creating Peter Pan, the boy who refused to grow up, whom he based on his friends, the Llewelyn Davies boys.Born in Kirriemuir, Angus, the second youngest of ten children, Barrie was educated at the Glas ...more
Paperback
Published by Book Jungle (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about The Admirable Crichton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Admirable Crichton

Werner
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in literature or in plays that say something dr
Shelves: plays
A recent discussion in one of my groups rekindled my interest in the several plays I studied in high school, all of which made enough of an impression on me that I haven't forgotten them to this day. This was one of those, written by the author of Peter Pan (which I've never read; but like virtually everyone else, I'm familiar enough with the pop culture figure!) --but this is a very different, and more adult, sort of play than the more famous one.

Here, our setting is the real world: the staid a
Jun 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Wanda, Dagny
Recommended to Laura by: Karen
From BC Radio 4 - Saturday Drama:
Adaptation of JM Barrie's classic satire about the changing fortunes of Crichton, the perfect butler. Liberal aristocrat Lord Loam favours a return to nature, with masters and servants living together as equals, but Crichton is the perfect butler and the perfect snob who adores the intricacies of the class system. He cannot help but be horrified by his master's opinions, and it will take a sea change to alter them.

A movie was made based on this book: Paradise Lag
Manab
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play
পরথম অঙকের উডহাউজিপনা দবিতীয় অঙক শুরু হইতে না হইতেই বারনারডশয়ী এবং ভয়ংকর হয়ে ওঠে। আর এই কারণেই পরথম দৃশয নাকানে হাসি ছাড়া পাঠকেরে আর কিছু না দিলেও- দয়াল উডহাউজের কারবার সবয়ং তিনি ছাড়া আর কে পারেন - একটু পরেই কাহিনীতে করমাগত মাংশ জমতে থাকে।

জঞানদায়িনী বযাপারসযাপার আছে, কিনতু তলসতয়ের মত গলপ অযানটি-কলাইমেটিক হয়ে ওঠে নাই, বরং অনেকটা শয়ের বেহতর কাজগুলির মতই জঞানটা ডোজে ডোজে আসতে থাকে। চরিতরগুলির পরতি বযারি একটু নিরদয়, তাঁর বকতবযের পরতি বিশবসত থাকতে গিয়েই সমভবত, তবে এইটা পাচনে খুব একটা সমসযা করে না, হ
Tony
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
THE ADMIRABLE CRICHTON: A Comedy in IV Acts. (1902). J. M. Barrie. ****.
Barrie (1860-1937) is best known for his series featuring Peter Pan, but he was a successful playwright on top of it all. Next to Peter Pan, this is his best-known play, and a searing indictment of the class organization in England at the time. As the play opens, we are presented to the occupants of Loam House, in Mayfair. Sir Loam, an extremely wealthy member of the upper class and an MP, is getting ready to host his month
Kaethe
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has the advantage of being a quick read.And also free.
Dominick
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama, comedy
Barrie's wry and cutting satire of the British class system is a delight to read, though one wonders whether its nuances could be successfully staged. Barrie's stage directions are often detailed and provide character insights that would be difficult to convey in performance. Reading them adds considerably to the impact. Anyway, the conceit here is that the ironically-named Lord Loam tries to enforced an artificial equality on his household, once a year requiring his callow and venal children to ...more
Rachel
It was a fun change to read a play (something that I haven't done since high school and Shakespeare--and of that experience I have no fond memories:). This was small but thoughtful and effortlessly humorous and though it took awhile to pull me in and even then I felt no special attachments to some of the key characters, I was "sitting in the audience", completely invested, when Chrichton turned out the lights in the last scene and the imaginary curtain came down. And though I closed the book, fe ...more
Juniper Shore
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: satire, plays
I've never seen a J.M. Barrie play on stage, but they're pretty good in the reading. The Admirable Crichton is a tongue-in-cheek commentary on the British class system, and how long that system can endure being stranded on a desert island. While it's clearly satire, it isn't the mean or bitter kind. The real strength of the story is that it's still funny, even a century after it was written.
Diane
Oct 18, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Saw the play at the Shaw Festival this fall. I'm interested in becoming more acquainted with J. M. Barrie's works, reaching out beyond his most famous work - Peter Pan.
Judith
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I saw the movie of 'The Admirable Crichton' in my teens, loved it and had no idea it was a play or who it was by. Fast forward many years, and I spotted a copy of it in a second-hand bookshop. I don't usually read plays, but decided to buy this one anyway. Since then I have read it many times and love it just as much as the first.

It is a light, witty look at society and the class structure - what happens when circumstances change and everything you take for granted is swept away. I've never been
Aiswarya
If only class distinctions were done with.We do not have remotely enough Lord Loams to accomplish that purpose.
Elizabeth
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have had this thought, this seemed like a nice template for a story, but certainly not a very full story in and of itself. There's absolutely no depth. And yes, I understand that it's supposed to be a comedy (of sorts) and that comedic works don't always have to be as deep as more serious works, but... there wasn't really anything to this story.

We're told that Mary is a spoiled aristocratic snob at the beginning of the play, and I suppose that's shown clearly en
Larry Piper
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Philip, the protagonist in Of Human Bondage, didn't have a lot of friends when he was young, so he spent a lot of his time reading. One of the things he read was The Honorable Crichton, which I discovered was by James M. Barrie, the guy who came up with Peter Pan. Then I discovered that The Honorable Crichton is actually a play. Well, I thought I'd not read a play since college, but realized that I was actually in a couple of plays, musicals actually, after I'd settled down and begun having chil ...more
Ebster Davis
"Time to play the game."

This story is supposed to be a comedy satirizing the class system in britian during the late 1800-early 1900, but I thought it was a bit sad. It was originally a play in four acts, but I listened to it on libravox (there are different voice actors, and a narriator).

The title-character is a butler for a wealthy english family who is completely comfortable with his social role in the family.

And at the beginning of the story we are instructed to not pay him too much atten
Bobbie Darbyshire
A butler who believes in the class system more than his master does upturns the hierarchy when he is shipwrecked for two years with the family of toffs, only to revert to subservience when they are rescued.
Lady Mary: You are the best man among us.
Crichton: On an island, my lady, perhaps; but in England, no.
Lady Mary: Then there’s something wrong with England.
Crichton: My lady, not even from you can I listen to a word against England.
First performed in 1902, this is essentially a comedy that
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Or Ever the Knightly Years..."

Or ever the knightly years were gone
With the old world to the grave,
I was the King of Babylon
And you were a Christian Slave.

I saw, I took, I cast you by,
I bent and broke your pride.
You loved me well, or I heard them lie,

But your longing was denied.
Surely I knew that by and by
You cursed your gods and died.

And a myriad suns have set and shone
Since then upon the grave
Decreed by the King of Babylon
To her that had been his Slave.

The pride I trampled is now my sc
Henry
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I liken J M Barrie to one of those actors who can never quite escape their one most famous role, their other works consigned in popular consciousness to suffer in the darkness.

A supremely popular writer in his day, this is really rather superior, written
when British drama seemed to excel in supreme craftsmanship, great lines, and providing a meaningful message.

Barrie's inherent goodness shines through, there is warmth and sympathy with all characters, he tackles controversial topics of the day
Timothy Morrow
My very first Barrie play and what a fun script it was.

This comedy was not only funny but tragic and thought provoking. I love how the social structures are questioned and exploited in this work of art. I hope to read more of J.M Barrie and learn his ideas and views.

Concerning the ending I suppose it was justified though naturally I was a little disappointed. I hoped that love would somewhat win, and I suppose it did. I just wished it was different, but then again, would it be as good with a
Mohab Hariry
Aug 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
although it is a light story it is still fun and amazing bringing you the fantasy when the king and the butler switch roles
apart from the direct story some side-thoughts are projected to the reader's mind such as the capability of a human being and how his job cant define who he is on the other hand we see the weird philosophy of crichton about the society and its layers
i enjoyed it .. it made me smile .. and through all the acts crichton is really admirable :)
i would like to see it as a play
Jane
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A re-read, this, and not as good as I thought. British class struggle, a shipwreck on a deserted island and romance all around make for a winning formula, but the writing was not as witty and light as it was in my memory. And WHAT is it with those Victorian writers - Kipling, Barrie, Buchan, etc,
whose belle-ideal heroine looks, acts and dresses like a boy? Latent homosexuality or arrested development on account of the British boarding school system.
You decide.
Jeslyn
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first exposure to this story was through the silent film, Male and Female, with Gloria Swanson. Reading this play was great fun - I loved the stage directions, Lady Mary and Ernest's lines, etc. Made me want to see a stage version one of these days. Maybe it will come back to the Shaw Festival? Fingers crossed.
Steven
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, british
Admirable portrait of the injustices of the English class system where incompetent Lords were served by competent butlers who did everything for them. When the Lords and Ladies crash on a deserted island, they are helpless at looking after themselves and the servants take over. But when they are rescued, the 'natural order' resumes.
Christine
A fun little play, though a bit of a bitter-sweet ending. Marriner gives it 5-stars, it's just the sort of thing he loves. And I enjoyed it a lot, too! I promise, 3 stars is a very respectable rating from me! Just a little sad that he didn't get the girl :(
Susan
Feb 28, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was a little inconclusive.
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, yes, but I think simple was definitely best for this play. Such a wonderful quick read.
Yesenia Pumarada Cruz
this was entertaining, very entertaining. the narrator's voice was the best.
Bettie☯
Vanteacher
Fun little comedic play with clever moments.
Mike Radice
Apr 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enchanting (actually a play in print).
Lynda
  • Rumpole and the Angel of Death
  • Life in the English Country House: A Social and Architectural History
  • Faith Healer
  • The Winslow Boy
  • Something Rotten (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #1)
  • The Matchmaker
  • The Philadelphia Story
  • Wasps (Clarendon Paperbacks)
  • Iphigeneia in Tauris
Sir James Matthew Barrie, 1st Baronet, OM was a Scottish author and dramatist, best remembered today as the creator of Peter Pan.

The son of a weaver, Barrie studied at the University of Edinburgh. He took up journalism, worked for a Nottingham newspaper, and contributed to various London journals before moving to London in 1885. His early works, Auld Licht Idylls (1889) and A Window in Thrums (188
More about J.M. Barrie...

“I'm not young enough to know everything.” 3606 likes