Start by marking “The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)” as Want to Read:
The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)

The Transfer

(Divergent #0.1)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  50,945 ratings  ·  2,990 reviews
Complete your Divergent library with the Four stories!

Fans of the Divergent series by #1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth will be captivated by "Four: The Transfer," the first of four stories, each between fifty and seventy-five pages long, set in the world of Divergent and told from Tobias's perspective.

In "The Transfer," readers witness Tobias's aptitude t
Published September 3rd 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about The Transfer, please sign up.
Kristina I read the first 3 books in this series, and I see nothing inappropriate about them, I am a home schooled mom and I would say those were appropriate f…moreI read the first 3 books in this series, and I see nothing inappropriate about them, I am a home schooled mom and I would say those were appropriate for 7th graders, especially compared to some of the stuff out there.(less)
Jessica No. It is a series of short stories set in the "Divergent" universe and has NO relationship to "The Giver" series of books, the first of which dates f…moreNo. It is a series of short stories set in the "Divergent" universe and has NO relationship to "The Giver" series of books, the first of which dates from "1993" NOT 2006.(less)

·  50,945 ratings  ·  2,990 reviews

Start your review of The Transfer (Divergent, #0.1)
Ida
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a lot shorter than I imagined, but it definitely gives you the Divergent feels even though plotwise everything has been covered in the previous books.

"You’re the one who has to live with your choice."
"Everyone else will get over it, move on, no matter what you decide. But you never will."

The transfer follows Tobias from the day of his aptitude test and though his Choosing day until the moment he´s given his infamous nickname- Four. It gives you a better understanding of the choice h
karen
veronica roth is so smart.

not only is she releasing, in measured intervals, four novellas (four about FOUR!! get it??) that lead right up to the release date for the Divergent movie in march, but she is being smart about how she writes them.

i wasn't crazy about Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story, but this one is fantastic. with Free Four: Tobias Tells the Story, she just retold a scene from Divergent from tobias' perspective. which is nice, but since i am too old to be crushing on a (teenage) c
♥ Becky  22
Jun 18, 2013 added it
Shelves: 2013
OH MY GOD, THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!!

Christine Riccio
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Poor 16 year old Four.
Sabrina
Sep 03, 2013 (before reading)
A fat cow never goes unmilked… and so here it comes the army of overpriced short stories.

Kindle Price: $2.06
Print Length: 30 pages

Seriously.

Oct 26, 2013 (after reading)
Just for clarity's sake: on my ADE reader, the ebook was exactly 34 pages long, and the story began on page 4 (Four! Hehe) and ended on page 29, for a net total of 25 pages.

I'm not one of those people who think that everything should be free or at least very cheap. And I don't want to squabble over a m
Jo
Damn it, I didn't expected to get so emotional with this novella...

I wanted to punch Marcus...

...and then salute Four, for being his kick ass self.

So overall...
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
4 I have to get out. ★'s

“You’re the one who has to live with your choice. Everyone else will get over it, move on, no matter what you decide. But you never will.”

I always loved Tobias Eaton "Four" in the Divergent series and I always wanted his story. How did I not know these novellas existed? I know, I'm really late to the party but I'm here now, that's what matters right? Anywho, I really enjoyed reading this and I absolutely love having his POV it was great being inside his head. It was
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Q: “This train stops for no one.” (c)
Q: A new knife for each person, and a new choice. (c)

Freedom. Choice. Inertia. Aptitudes. Strenghth.

Q:
“Trust me when I tell you, Eaton boy, that resisting is worth doing.” (c)
Q:
Sometimes I know people are lying just because of the way the words feel when they press into me, uncomfortable and wrong, the way an Erudite feels when she reads a grammatically incorrect sentence. (c)
Q:
I sit with my hands clenching my knees, watching the other tables, while the other
Carolina Carriço
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
What can I say?! I love Tobias Eaton ! And this book was awesome!

Reading another short story on his POV was such a magical experience. Finding more about his relationship with Marcus son of a bitch! I hate him and how was his Choosing Ceremony and how he felt about it. How did he make up his mind about which faction he would choose. And finally how he felt in his first tests in Dauntless and how he got his nickname

FOUR
Aishu Rehman
I love Tobias, he is just incredible. It's so sad seeing him in a weak form, how frightened he was growing up. I am glad he has changed from that because it was just terrible reading those scenes, they made me tear up really bad.
Ferdy
2.5 stars - Spoilers

Meh, it was mostly boring. The storyline was decent enough with Tobias wanting to escape his abusive dad, thus transferring to Dauntless, and then jumping off trains and buildings to prove himself, and finally facing his fears in a scientifically nonsensical simulation.
I really wasn't impressed with Four's narration — his voice was too dull and predictable, and it ruined the story.
I predict that he'll probably fall for a fellow Dauntless initiate in one of his future novella
Mariah Roze
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Right now I am reading Four: A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) by Veronica Roth and really enjoying the book! It has been an long time since I read the Divergent series, so it is nice getting back into it :)
Aqsa (On Hiatus)
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was strangely fun :)
Howard
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars for The Transfer: A Divergent Story (audiobook) by Veronica Roth read by Aaron Stanford. This is a short story in the Divergent universe. I really enjoy this series and this prequel is no different. This is the backstory for one of the main characters. A must if you’re a fan.
Mariℓina
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was all "Four" and i enjoyed it immensely! 4,5 Stars.
It's a great intro to a fascinating world..

I haven't read the other books yet, i only saw the movie and read the tie in companion at this point, but i can tell when something is good and interesting..
This is a short story but it's so full and whole, it makes you crave more and at the same time it's complete in its own way..

Tobias had a hard life because of his father Marcus. He abused him for a long time and now is finally the moment for
Liz* Fashionably Late
Well...

Great opportunity to learn something new about Four. Unfortunately, there's not much. Just Four's badassessness. And even if that's no small thing, I really wished for an awesome revelation or something exciting to happen.

That said, it was so refreshing to meet again the Four I fell in love with in Divergent and not that weird teenager I found in Insurgent. It delivered, a nice reminded of who Tobias was and how he became my first book crush. He was tough, strong even when his father was
Ari
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorty
It's a fact that Four is my favorite character in the series and reading a bit about his past makes me understand him more.

It is not that we find something new, not at all, but it's his voice with his insecurities and hopes and fears. You see two sides of him - the boy he was and the transfer he is now, one that can decide who he wants to be, how the others will see him, accept him, respect him.. and why not, fear him.

"My name is Four." I say. "Call me 'Stiff' again and you and I will have a pr
Sh3lly
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
I just read this tonight and it reminded me fondly of the good old days before (in my view) Veronica Roth messed everything up in Allegiant. I love Four -

And his "origins" story was nice to read. The only thing I can say is that Veronica Roth still doesn't do well with distinguishing POVs; Four still sounds about the same as if we were hearing from Tris.

Four is just great, though.

MischaS_
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
That was something! You know what, when writers write something from different POV, that character is usually completely changed but not here! It's not our Four, it's still Tobias, little boy who's tortured by his own father. But somewhere deep inside him, you can see our Four! He's screaming, kicking to get outside and to kick some ass*s. Yeah, go for it!
Bethan Watson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I loved reading from Tobias' point of view. He was my favourite character! I think he had much more depth than anyone else and if anything, I don't think Roth delved deep enough for my liking.
Mai is a Happy Bibliophile

"My name is Four." I say. "Call me 'Stiff' again and you and I will have a problem."

My Reaction before reading this novella:

My reaction while reading:

Can you freaking believe it??!! Veronica granted Four fans greatest wish EVERYWHERE. It's like Christmas came so EARLY this year! Tobias Eaton is probably one of the most coveted, crushed-on, daydreamed-on male YA character today. His mysterious badass vibe made its first steamy appearance way back 2011 on Divergent. The first novella written i
Marla Mei
I don't know about you guys but this novella is four-fect!

See what I did there?

PERFECT

Four stars for this Four four-fection <4

Okay. This is too much. I'm out.
Cynn
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it

The only I want to say...

Aubrey
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-books
I just can't...okay?

I got it and I was all:

I love it so bad Veronica! I can't wait until December for the next one okay? It's just way to long from now... But anyway, back to my review of this amazingly awesome book.

Look Marcus you just need to stop beating your son okay? Like he is the best thing that has ever happened to the world. I was just like this, when I heard Marcus's name in "The Transfer."

Marcus has some serious problems to do that to Four. SERIOUS PROBLEMS.

Then I was just readi
Norah Una Sumner
“You’re the one who has to live with your choice,” she says. “Everyone else will get over it, move on, no matter what you decide. But you never will.”

I'm apparently in a mood for short stories this week.This is Four's story and it's quite interesting.This is Four that we meet and fell in love with in Divergent-wreck,but a badass wreck.But we don't really learn anything new...Marcus is a seriously messed up person,I would actually like to know more about him and his relationship with Four,did
Cass -  Words on Paper
Jun 18, 2013 marked it as top-wishlist
Shelves: e-betweenellas
I predict that HarperCollins will eventually produce a bindup edition of all of these short stories.

*They did it for the Delirium trilogy.*

~

(Thanks Tez!)

Four: A Divergent Story Collection
February 11, 2014 | 978-0062285683
Amy Jackson
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
UPDATE (9/5): So, thanks to a friend on Goodreads, as well as the Divergentfans website and of course, who can forget Veronica Roth who made it all possible, I read this! It was amazing and I loved how we saw how Tobias became Four. I actually thought that it could've been longer, just because I want to read more of the Divergent world, but this was great!

UPDATE (9/3): It's out today!! OMG, I can't wait to read this. :D

This cover is awesome! OMG, I can't wait for more Four!!! I think this is goi
Bren
“You're the one who has to live with your choice, everyone else will get over it, move on, no matter what you decide. But you never will”
― Veronica Roth, The Transfer

Absolutely needs to be read by any fan of the Divergent series.

It is told entirely from Four's perspective and is a really fun read. It also includes his initiation and how he came to get his legendary nickname!
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I've only read the first installment of the Divergent series. Despite the fact that I didn't move forward with the other books, I actually find this world fascinating. Unfortunately the style of writing just isn't as strong as in, say, The Hunger Games.

This is a decent look into Four's Dauntless initiation and will probably satisfy anyone who is invested in the series.
Mary
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
"My name is Four. Call me 'Stiff' again and you and I will have a problem."

I can't even express how much I miss this world and especially one of my top book boyfriends, Four. It surely was a treat to get inside his head once again after I got a taste of it in Free Four. This story basically narrates how he came about to choosing to transfer to Dauntless to escape his life with his father in Abnegation.

What I loved most about this super mini novella is how it made Tobias/Four look more human
Around the Year i...: The Transfer, by Veronica Roth 3 17 Mar 28, 2016 03:40AM
Fabulous 4 Life : The Transfer 4 6 Nov 25, 2014 07:51PM
Cant wait 8 107 Jan 02, 2014 06:30AM
Divergent Series ...: The Transfer 6 59 Sep 29, 2013 08:57PM

• Divergent Parody: Detergent
  • Allegiant: The Ultimate Interactive Quiz Book (Divergent Series Quiz Books 3)
  • Inside Divergent: The Initiate's World
  • The Selection Series 1-5 Book Set (The Selection #1-5)
  • Divergent Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • Free Four: The Full Story
  • Percy Jackson and the Bronze Dragon (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4.7)
  • The Queen (The Selection, #0.4)
  • Allegiant: Divergent Trilogy, Book 3 by Veronica Roth | Summary & Analysis
  • Percy Jackson and the Stolen Chariot (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4.6)
  • Life Before Legend (Legend, #0.5)
  • Maze Runner: The Death Cure: The Official Graphic Novel Prelude
  • Catching Fire: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Prince (The Selection, #0.5)
  • Uma Professora Muito Maluquinha
  • The Guard (The Selection, #2.5)
  • SAMPLER ONLY: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
  • Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials: The Official Graphic Novel Prelude
Veronica Roth is the #1 New York Times best-selling author of the Divergent series (Divergent, Insurgent, Allegiant, and Four: A Divergent Collection), the Carve the Mark duology (Carve the Mark, the Fates Divide), The End and Other Beginnings collection of short fiction, and many short stories and essays. Her first book for adult audiences, Chosen Ones, is out now. She lives in Chicago.

Divergent (3 books)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • Allegiant (Divergent, #3)