Start by marking “Every Breath (Every, #1)” as Want to Read:
Every Breath (Every, #1)

Every Breath (Every #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,870 Ratings  ·  652 Reviews
Rachel Watts has just moved to Melbourne from the country, but the city is the last place she wants to be.

James Mycroft is her neighbour, an intriguingly troubled seventeen-year-old who's also a genius with a passion for forensics.

Despite her misgivings, Rachel finds herself unable to resist Mycroft when he wants her help investigating a murder. He's even harder to resist
Published September 5th 2013 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Every Breath, please sign up.
Ellie Marney Hi Jenna, as far as I know the Kindle edition is already available on Amazon! It may depend on where you live, but I can see it's online at Amazon.com…moreHi Jenna, as far as I know the Kindle edition is already available on Amazon! It may depend on where you live, but I can see it's online at Amazon.com and Amazon.com.au - hope you can catch it! xE(less)

Aj the Ravenous Reader
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: ✿ سخىة ✿

I may never learn my lesson about not judging books by their cover and title because if Scarlett (see her review by clicking her name) hadn’t recommended this to me, I would probably have dismissed this as another common YA romance and wouldn’t have picked this up. Although, there’s little romance in the story, that is definitely not the focus.

The story (told by the female MC) centers on two teenagers, Rachel Watts and James Mycroft and their accidental involvement in a detective case when they
C.G. Drews
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED AND ADORED THIS WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL BOOK. I put off reading it for a few stupid reasons (yes, I am ashamed) mostly that a) I totally adore Sherlock Holmes and I didn't want to read a bad retelling, b) the cover is horrendous [sorry], and c) the title does nothing for me. So basically I'm very shallow. BUT ANYWAY! The book was incredible and I should never have hesitated. Basically, Ella and Emily? I should've listened to you. I will forever. I PROMISE.

It was a perfect Sherl
Dana

Thank you Ms. Marney for writing this book, I am very grateful for having had the opportunity to read this ARC. I was having a miserable day but this story completely turned my mood around. I have nothing bad to say about this, the characters were genius (literally, in Mycroft's case), and I felt that the pacing was perfect.

I don't normally read murder mysteries, in fact I usually avoid them like the plague, and for this reason I am all the more impressed with how much this novel enchanted me.
♥Rachel♥
My first obsession in reading was mysteries, with a little romance, of course. So when I heard the premise of Every Breath, a sort of teenage Sherlock Holmes genius, I was completely excited, and I’m happy to report it lived up to my high expectations! Mystery, romance, danger and even well placed humor made for an awesome start to this addictive series! I need book two, STAT!

Rachel Watts has had to move from the country to the crowded city of Melbourne, and the change wasn’t a welcome one. She
Jasmine
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!! I couldn't remember when was the last time I devoured a book within two days and ahhhhh, this one was bloody amazing!

Full review may come a little later since there are two more books in this series! :D

But one thing is for sure: HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!
Nikki
This review can also be found at my blog, There were books involved...

-----------------------------

Let's get one thing straight right off the bat -- I freaking loved this book.

I love Sherlock Holmes in general, so that blurb on the cover? What if Sherlock Holmes was the boy next door? YES PLEASE. A contemporary take on Sherlock/Watson, set in Australia? I AM SO THERE. Watson (Rachel Watts) is a girl, you say? DOUBLY THERE. Sherlock (James Mycroft) is a lanky British boy-genius-troublemaker wit
Paige  Bookdragon

"'Mycroft, don't be juvenile.'
'I am a juvenile.'

It's a mini Sherlock!
description

I always have this monstrous crush on Sherlock Holmes and it's always an auto-buy if I saw a book related to him. So when I saw Scarlett do a review for this one I immediately bought myself a copy.

It's not perfect but it does not disappoint.

First off, I like Mycroft's character.He may have the name of Sherlock's much smarter brother but he's pure Sherlock Holmes. He's an eccentric genius who doesn't give a fuck if s
Braiden
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
What the fuck have you done to me, Ellie?

This has been probably the only time that I've loved the romance instead of the central plot, the only time – really! – that I've wanted two central characters to get married already and have a family. Yeah, okay, I'm thinking about it a bit too early – BUT SERIOUSLY! Rachel and Mycroft are a perfect duo, and I've fallen for them. Both of them. HARD!

Did I really just say that? Did I really fucking say that I thought the romance was the best? Better than t
Stacee
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I've been waiting to read this series until I could get my hands on the ever elusive third book and now that I've got it, I'm so excited to binge them.

Rachel and Mycroft are a lot of fun. They have some of the best banter and the UST is off the charts. I loved their friends Mai and Gus and Rachel's brother Mike.

The plot was fast paced and interesting. I did have an idea who the bad guy was {and I turned out to be right}, but it didn't take away from the reveal or the epic ending.

I can't wait
Katherine
description
"I am not the law, but I represent justice so far as my feeble powers go."- Sherlock Holmes

4.5 out of 5 stars

Setting: Melbourne, Australia; 2013

Coverly Love?:Yes; the covers of this book and I have a love/hate relationship. I didn’t like the Australian covers at first, then I grew to love it. So by the time the American cover came out, I was so used to the Australian cover that I didn’t like it at first. But then I grew to love this one as well :D.

Plot:When a homeless man named Dave is murde
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Allen and Unwin Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

My feet lose contact with the plank and I scream.

Every Breath fell in the pit between realistic and unrealistic. Yes, this novel has no supernatural elements but the whole way it was written; the way the plot was incorporated seemed like quite a mouthful to swallow. This being said, Every Breath was an exciting whodunit read with a more ac
Ami
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ami by: Katie
First of all, thanks for the recommendation Katie and Edna.

I didn't immediately 'felt' for this book when I started. Katie and Edna described this as young adult mystery -- though both also emphasized on the relationship rather than the mystery. So in the beginning, I was focusing on the mystery part. I am a huge fan of mystery books, thanks to growing up with Agatha Christie. In that sense, when a book is described as mystery, I tend to focus on the case (the investigation, the conclusion) rat
Danielle (Love at First Page)
4.5-5 stars

I have courage sometimes, in the strangest situations, when there are dead bodies with their throats cut in abandoned hollows of midnight parks. But I'm gutless most of the time, gutless enough to say things that slash and wound with the same violence as a knife across an old man's throat.

It's fitting that a book about teenage amateur detectives would require some sleuthing of my own for me to get my hands on a copy. Every Breath is a book I've wanted to read for a while, but unti
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Rachel and Mycroft! So much chemistry and a great complicated friendship romance. Also enjoyed the murder mystery and Mycroft's autistic intelligence and lack of social graces.
Amanda

Every Breath is Ellie Marney’s debut novel. Set in Melbourne, seventeen year olds Rachel and Mycroft have become good friends via school, and now Mycroft includes Rachel in his late night escapades and travels around the city. When a friend of theirs is found dead and the circumstances are suspect, they take it upon themselves to investigate.

Before you read this book, make sure to have a cup of tea with you. The characters spend a lot of time drinking tea, which I loved!

The only things I know ab
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bookgasm, loveozya
4 Stars.
Every Breath is a phenomenal thriller from a Brilliant Australian author in Ellie Marney. It follows the story of Watts and Mycroft, who are on a strictly last name basis. Both dynamic characters in their own right, but share an intense attraction.

Mycroft is a young man without supervision, living in a run down, ramshackle house with his absent aunt. His bedroom housing a makeshift laboratory, and follows his passion of forensics which entertain hi
Rachael
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I ate this book up. Ate. It. Up. Ellie Marnie deserves all the words. All. Of. Them. For the love of sanity just put words in her hands where they will be safe and walk away, people. Marnie + words = magic

So it's Rachel Watts and James Mycroft, best mates of late. Just mates. Brainiac, location mates (2 doors down). James is a bit of a genius delinquent. Rachel is a country mouse (but by no means meek and mild) forced to live in the city, a good girl who knows her own mind but is struggling to a
Jen Ryland
Just when I think the world probably doesn't need another Sherlock-inspired story ... I find a book as awesome as this one. Yes, the Sherlock elements (a quirky teen genius and his tough-yet-vulnerable female sidekick) are great, but so is the chemistry -- both intellectual and romantic -- between the two. As a mystery/thriller, this was really good too. And set in Australia! And I have an ARC of the next installment which makes me SO happy.

If you're a Sherlock fan and/or looking for a great YA
Lexie
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, mystery
In the name of Conan Doyle, Cumberbatch and Crime, I declare this book worthy of its influence.

RTC.
Cathryn
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was exactly the book I wanted to read right now. I loved it. I love Mycroft and Watts together and I can't wait to read the next one. No long review on this one. It would just be me gushing.
ALPHAreader
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The city is no place for country girl, Rachel Watts. But since her family’s farm was foreclosed she had no choice but to be thrust into the hustle and bustle of the seemingly cold and anonymous Melbourne. Now her life revolves around school and chores while her mum works herself ragged as a cleaner, her dad is never home but always out driving the taxi and her brother frustratingly thrives in any environment.

There’s only one person who has saved this year of transition and stopped Rachel from g
Sophie
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016, 4-stars
I've loved anything Sherlock Holmes for quite some time now. The BBC Sherlock, Elementary, and the RDJ films are favourites of mine, once I heard that there are a load of Sherlock inspired YA out there, I needed to get my hands on as many as I could. I've ordered Lock & Mori, and am hoping to get A Study in Charlotte when it's released. The Every series by Ellie Marney was available to request through my library, which I did, and here we go.

Rather than being about a relative of Holmes or Wat
Katie
I was SO into this and you all should read it so we can talk about it. I had to put it down for a few hours while reading and kept thinking about it. And I thought about it after I finished it and I'm still thinking about it, trying to plot how to get a copy of the sequel to the US.

I described the book to a friend as Sherlock Holmes YA and that's how the book is selling itself and it's probably the closest description, but . . . it's more like a Sherlock Holmes's successor, I think. The Holmes b
Maggie
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maggie by: Amanda
Shelves: 2014, debut-novels
Do you have a curly haired, otter shaped hole in your heart? Look no further! This book is such a fun addition to the Sherlock genre. It's to Sherlock what Bridget Jones is to Pride and Prejudice.

A very enthusiastic 4 stars.
Kayla
Jul 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Stalking Jack The Ripper but in modern day.
I'm very passionate about forensic science because my ambition is to be a pathologist so this book went down a treat for me.
Nasty Lady MJ
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really 4.5 stars.

To see full review with gifs click here.

This book was the saving grace and what otherwise was known as a horrible weekend filled with outlandish drama and a CLE class so dreadfully boring I thought the course should’ve been paying me to take it.

The good news is, I came in with high expectations for this one. Because of some rather flattering reviews and it succeeded.

Yay!

I think the best way to describe Every Breath‘s wonderfulness is to describe why most YA mysteries detective n
nick

Mycroft and Rachel were even better the second time around. These two are the perfect OTP!
Eri
I had been eyeing this book from a distance for quite some time until I finally had the courage to splurge and purchase it. It promised a murder mystery and sleuthing fuss with the added splash of teen romance that I never seemed to find in a good mystery book. Which put frankly, is a book made for the likes of me. The blurb on the cover said it all: what if Sherlock Holmes was the boy next door?

James Mycroft and Rachel Watts, our Holmes-Watson pair, are fabulous characters. They are teenagers,
Frannie Pan

Why. Why didn't I read this sooner? Why did I have to wait for this beautiful cover change (which was truly welcome, I mean, have you seen it?!) to finally pick it up? And it happened because of NetGalley. THANK YOU, NETGALLEY. What would my life have been without you?! Don't wanna know, do not tell me.

Though it does surprise me that this book wasn't under my radar, considering I'm a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes. Because you are, too, it goes without saying that you must read this book like now.
Wanderlust_WL
Jeez, after reading this book, I might very well be on a crime and mystery thriller craze, well at least I won't be that apprehensive if I were to start on another crime book. For some reason, I've always been hesitant to read crime and mystery books, for fear that it would be too much for my little brain to handle - the connections and leads too hard to follow and comprehend, the mystery too befuddling or worse, predictable and lame.

But this book definitely changed my perception for the better
FYA Book Club of ...: September 2016 - Every Breath 1 2 Oct 02, 2016 08:29AM
Forever Young Adu...: This topic has been closed to new comments. September 2016 meeting 4 15 Sep 03, 2016 09:55AM
Unauthorized Books Added to My Shelves 1 6 Sep 17, 2015 05:23PM
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Protected
  • The Disappearance of Ember Crow (The Tribe #2)
  • Head of the River
  • Inbetween Days
  • The First Third
  • Cloudwish (The Six Impossiverse #3)
  • Pieces of Sky
  • The Stars at Oktober Bend
  • The Guy, the Girl, the Artist and His Ex
  • Cooper Bartholomew Is Dead
  • Cry Blue Murder
Hi there, and thanks for stopping by!

I live in country Victoria, Australia, where the sky is very big and the internet is way-hazy. I have four gorgeous sons and a very patient husband.

My first YA romantic crime trilogy, the Every series - Every Breath, Every Word and Every Move - was followed by the companion novel No Limits in August 2017, in the same year Begin End Begin came out. In 2018, Wh

Every (3 books)
  • Every Word (Every, #2)
  • Every Move (Every, #3)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother
    $2.99 $1.49
“You don't have to pretend with me, you know.' He reaches out and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. His expression is so open and honest I feel it like a sucker punch. 'I used to pretend, all the time, so I can spot it a mile away. If you're feeling shit, then just say so. I don't need to know the reason, it might be none of my business—'
'I'm feeling shit.”
23 likes
“So what did Conroy say to you this arvo, after I left?'
He said, Rachel Watts is hot stuff, and I'd like to ask her out. Got any tips?'
'Mycroft, don't be juvenile.'
'I am a juvenile.'
'Then don't be grotesque. Are you going to tell me or not?'
Mycroft fiddles with the cigarette pack, loose in his long fingers.
'Nothing to tell,' he says. 'Conroy uses the same material in every speech. The we can't put up with this behaviour forever line, and the one more stunt like this line. I can't figure out why he keeps recycling.'
'Maybe he thinks constant repetition will make it sink in.'
'See, that's Einstein's definition of insanity right there - doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result.”
20 likes