Start by marking “A Brief Guide to Stephen King” as Want to Read:
A Brief Guide to Stephen King

A Brief Guide to Stephen King

Stephen King's name has become synonymous with horror thanks to classics like The Shining, Salem's Lot, and Carrie. In this Brief Guide, Simpson traces the writer's life from his difficult childhood through his initial books under the pseudonym Richard Bachman, to the success of his early works in the 1970s and beyond into mainstream acclaim.
Published April 29th 2014 by Running Press Adult (first published March 20th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief Guide to Stephen King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief Guide to Stephen King

David (דוד)
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 'Constant Readers' and Aspiring Writers
A good guide to Steven King's work. Good language, and pretty much decent amount of info behind every work of his. :)

Being a 'Constant Reader' myself and having read thirty-eight titles by the King of Contemporary Horror, I had to pick and read this book!

The book is divided into six sections: On SK's life; Novels; The Dark Tower; Short Stories & Novella Collections; Original Stories in Other Media; and Non-fiction - of which 120 pages include the Novels section.

Every published title has an
Douglas Castagna
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
The main thing this book has going for it is the title, brief. It has several chapters of biography and then delves into the works, not much time is spent on each work, nor does it delve too deeply into any of the works. What I did like is that it is rather comprehensive in all of the available works, and it is rather up to date including two books to come this year. For someone who knows little about "the King" I would recommend this, for die hard fans, its rather passe.
Ross Warren
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A decent general guide to the works of Stephen King with a few factoids I hadn't heard before and a good guide to further works to seek out for a more detailed look at King and his books.
Eugenia Doran
General guide to his work, not in depth literary criticism.
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot but I am not very knowledgeable about Stephen King. I think if you have read most of his books, you will be bored by this. It's all summaries and the where his books have gone, so far as movies, plays, etc. I liked it because it is helping me decide what of his I want to read next of his. There are tidbits about Stephen King's life that intrigued me, so now I just bought Danse Macabre and will be reading and reviewing that.
Matthew Baker
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have to confess that I don’t read many biographies these days. Sure, I had to read a few mandatory ones for college classes…but that was 20 years ago. These days, I fill my head with horror, science-fiction, and fantasy. But when I saw this comprehensive ‘guide’ to one of my favorite horror authors of all time, Stephen King, I knew I had to give it a look. After all, what better way to gain personal inspiration than reading about someone whose work inspires me? I’m glad I did, too; although I’ ...more
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans
I loved reading this book. It was great to read all about Stephen King and his works and I learned things I never knew about him. Some of the book descriptions contain some minor spoilers, but I don't think that matters. It doesn't detract from Stephen Kings books in any major way. I would recommend this book to other Stephen King fans. I can appreciate the amount of research it took to right this book. If your a fan of Sai King, you should read this.
Ronni
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome for giving you an overview of every book that Stephen King wrote.
Unfortunately, it is full of spoilers. So, when I came across a book that sounded like one I would be interested in reading, I stopped reading the review. It does give away too much of the story.
mizlanah