Start by marking “Wear No Evil: How to Change the World with Your Wardrobe” as Want to Read:
Wear No Evil: How to Change the World with Your Wardrobe

Wear No Evil: How to Change the World with Your Wardrobe

Have you ever wondered, "How can I inherently do good while looking good?" Wear No Evil has the answer, and is the timely handbook for navigating both fashion and ethics. It is the style guide with sustainability built in that we've all been waiting for. As a consumer, you regain your power with every purchase to support the causes and conditions you already advocate in ot ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about Wear No Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wear No Evil

Start your review of Wear No Evil: How to Change the World with Your Wardrobe
Sophia
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: other-nonfiction

While I strongly agree with Greta Eagan's argument that we need to be more mindful about the clothing we purchase, Wear No Evil disappointed me. It covered too many topics and didn't explore the nuances of each topic. I'd treat this more as a guide book with lists of eco-friendly brands (useful in its own right!) than a book providing cogent arguments to the wavering or unconvinced about greening your wardrobe.

Alex Reborn
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
I can't say it wasn't interesting, because it certainly brings forward a subject we should be all more concerned about. However, living outside the US changes some facts stated in the book. For example, I recognised only a handful of the brands of clothing and cosmetic products; also, it seems to me a bit difficult to find out information on the clothes in a store (such as the dyes or the process of making the product), because usually the sales persons don't actually know themselves. However, i ...more
Tanya
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The premise of this book is exactly what I was looking for; a peek behind the curtains of the textile industry and its cause & effect on our fellow mankind, wallets and environment.

The author reveals the cost of cheap clothes, addressing sweat shops, slave labor, the effects of dyes, waste, and more. Outlining the outrageous problem that is fast fashion, the author also includes sources and a solid plan (called the Integrity Index) to beat the system while still dressing our best in a moral, eco
Katrina Sark
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chapter 1 – To Wear or Not to Wear?
p.13 – Every day we make two decisions that have an enormous impact on the world around us: what to eat and what to wear.
p.14 – Before the 1900s most people had a handful of garments in their closets that were constantly being repaired and passed down. Even in the twenties the average middle-class American woman had nine outfits (total, each year) that she would lovingly care for and weak week after week.
It wasn’t until the 1950s and 1960s that income and adv
Nabine
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, and while it started out interesting and has its heart in the right place, it quickly petered out for me. Most of her advice about what to wear and/or pack for certain occasions felt too specific and seemed like it would get dated quickly. Besides, I don't really need or want help in those areas. This is definitely an instance where it would've been good to see the book in person at a store instead of reading about it on some blog and impulse-buying it. I could ha ...more
Jan 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Such a disappointing book.

The beginning, when the discussion is about where our clothing comes from and what chemicals and problems we should be aware of, is quite good. But then it devolves into wardrobe advice, brand recommendations, etc. and, well, that's a quick route to an DNF for me. Plus? Not enough on consignment shops, Goodwill/Salvation Army stores and the like.
Miranda Sofe Nelson
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good information. Would probably have paid the book a lot more mind if I had a specific interest in fashion, but the biggest thing for me was just being aware that this is an issue. We talk about ethics in food all the time, but never in clothes. And it's time to start paying attention. Just knowing what goes in to that pair of jeans you're wearing. That makes a huge difference.
Abbie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wear No Evil is a great nonfiction book, written by Greta Eagan, that focuses on the environmental problems in the fashion industry and how readers can try to “wear no evil”. The book is written to help the average customer determine what they can do to become more eco-conscious in their clothing/ beauty choices. Eagan even provides examples of specific items of clothing (down to the price point) that are even somewhat eco-friendly.

The beginning of the book is when cold hard facts are present to
nukie19
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
The first hundred pages of this book are a fantastic look at how to reduce the environmental footprint of your clothing. Eagan does a great job of explaining specific issues (16 in total) and what to look for when trying to avoid those issues. Where she starts to get off track a bit for me was in talking about style - she clearly has a focus on a New York/big city centric idea of what fashion looks like, and most of it didn't feel applicable in my beachy California town. However, I do love that ...more
Christy Reed
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have been seeking a way to buy clothes that are kinder to the earth and to the people who make them, this is the book. A fashionista by birth and training, Eagan has provided numerous resources to help you be stylish while "greening up" your wardrobe, as well as detailed reasons why you should care. Although many of the companies she recommends are rather pricey, and her description of what you should have in your wardrobe is probably overkill for all of us but the most dedicated style lo ...more
Laura Carre
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: environment
Great general reference! Greta covers all the basics around ethical fashion, following globa criteria that anyone can apply. I like that she uses principles and gives many suggestions for every ethical style each of us may have: there is no such thing as "one size fits all" when it comes to concious decisions. The diamond diagram helps a lot and truly gives flexibility without allowing us to "cheat".
It is true that more often than not the exsmples she gives are not applicable to most readers bu
Jessica
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Very entertaining and informative! I appreciated the brief overview of ethical fashion, and the practical ideas for how to execute in your own life. This author says that you’re never going to be able to have a whole wardrobe of completely stylish, organic, vegan, locally made, secondhand, natural fabrics, socially aware clothes, but if you shoot for at least two of those objectives you can still make a difference! She gives some very specific examples of how to put together outfits that I found ...more
ItsADrizzit
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Useful in thinking about all the ways the textile industry could be more sustainable and trying to work on a more mindful purchasing strategy. Discussion of brands was mostly limited to boutique brands, which is okay, but not for the everyday consumer.

Would have liked some discussion of the up and coming sustainability policies of some of the larger stores. A bit of talk about H&M, but it was limited.

Overall a good book, but written at a bit of a higher level than affordable fashion.

Good intro i
Rachella
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
honestly... I skipped a lot of the individual sections. I really enjoyed reading the integrity index and the diamond theory changed how I look at sustainable shopping (ie: that it is available on any budget as long as your values are met). However, after that it fell flat, too many style suggestions (as others have said). It was nice to have a list for each category but if that is not your personall value, it takes up space that could have been used for other kinds of info.
Katrina Clohessy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I agree with what other reviewers have said: the information presented in the beginning of the book about the environmental impact of different kinds of fabrics is very helpful, as is the system Eagan devised for shopping with ethics and the environment in mind. However, after this helpful information, the book becomes something of a style guide and list of (quite expensive) companies that fit the bill, which I wasn't personally expecting or looking for in this kind of book.
Anna Reynolds
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Great intro on how to shop eco-friendly and provides resources for where to start (brand names/approximate costs). Found sections about "what to pack for X trip" or "what to wear to X event" unnecessary.
CharityJ
Feb 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-growth
A good source for discovering eco-conscious brands, most of which were new to me, also most out of my price range. Covers a lot of ground for what to consider when wanting to shop and dress in a way that's environmentally ethical.
Winny Irmarooke
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Greta for enlightening me about fashion world through this book!
María José
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
It is more a guide of where to buy clothes, I mean, it is a helpful guide but not the great.
Joey Sudmeier
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is almost a collection of two-three books and, therefore, seems to have multiple audiences depending on what section you're in.

I'm in the fashion industry so there was very valuable information for me including tons of book references for me to dive into the topic even further. The first two chapters appealed to my professional side and I would probably assume they were very boring to a casual reader. The women's fashion section was somewhat interesting (as women make up 70% of my cus
A.
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cultural-studies
The book was okay, but not great. She had too much emphasis on being fashionable to make it a book that would actually be useful for lots of people. My "style" is almost exclusively secondhand, for example, and so I tend to be more concerned about choosing clothes that look good on me rather than ones that are currently in, so I found the book not helpful at all. Eagan lists in detail what she thinks should be included in a wardrobe, and honestly, there are a lot of items that are optional, depe ...more
Gina
Sep 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This book feels like the meeting of a school report and blog posts. There is good information here, but I needed to take notes. I skimmed the first few chapters, as the content was covered in a documentary I recently watched.

I like the author's approach to eco-shopping -- style needs to be one of the motivating factors. Here's the rub for me. Too often, eco-style isn't in line with my personal style. I like a vintage look, but shopping secondhand isn't necessarily the best option, given that a f
Kat872
Jun 08, 2016 rated it liked it
The first part of the book was really interesting and I learned a bit about what is important to me. I would have liked to see far more detail focused on this part of the story.

Once I got to the style section, however, I pretty much skimmed. Most of the tips were for a lifestyle far fancier than mine and the company recommendations were either out of my price range or don't make clothing in my size. Plus-size ladies like to be green too! (This message also goes out to companies who make hiking/o
Rachel Young
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a good resource with a balance of inspiration and information. It could use a new edition though. Since it was published in 2014, many of the companies and websites mentioned are no longer in existence.
Nicole Gooch
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Parts of this book are wonderful. Great detail and ideas on alternatives. I didn't care much for the personal fashion part. Overall, good read!
BJ  Brown
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A thoughtful examination of the social costs of fast fashion and a practical guide to ethical and stylish choices.
Clary Herondale
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This book needs to be sent to all people who love fashion, but don't love planet killing. It wasn't the best, but I liked it. :)
Leigh Anne
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
The information was really interesting, but this is more the kind of book you flip through to learn what you need to know, not the kind you sit and read at length.
Elizabeth
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
The first chapter was the only useful chapter! The rest was pretty much just a fashion magazine... Not a book.

• Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion
  • The Conscious Closet: The Revolutionary Guide to Looking Good While Doing Good
  • Magnifeco: Your Head-to-Toe Guide to Ethical Fashion and Non-toxic Beauty
  • Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
  • Sustainability: A History
  • Sustainability
  • Women from the Ankle Down: The Story of Shoes and How They Define Us
  • Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff
  • Sneaker Wars: The Enemy Brothers Who Founded Adidas and Puma and the Family Feud That Forever Changed the Business of Sport
  • Designer's Guide to Fashion Apparel
  • 101 Ways to Go Zero Waste
  • Techno-Fix: Why Technology Won't Save Us Or the Environment
  • The Edge Becomes the Center: An Oral History of Gentrification in the 21st Century
  • The List