Start by marking “Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy, #1)

Half Bad

(The Half Bad Trilogy #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  37,250 Ratings  ·  6,036 Reviews
Wanted by no one.
Hunted by everyone.

Sixteen-year-old Nathan lives in a cage: beaten, shackled, trained to kill. In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most terrifying and violent witch, Marcus. Nathan's only hope for survival is to escape his captors, track down Marcus
Published March 4th 2014 by Viking Books for Young Readers

YA Novels of 2014
1,547 books — 9,150 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
375 books — 1,494 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Do you know a story that goes something like this >>>> There's a poor family consisting of a mother and her bunch of kids, each one from a different father. Then there's that one kid (or more) who had a dad who was known for causing trouble... maybe he drank a lot, got into fights, ended up in prison... you know the kid I'm talking about? The one who has that dad? Well, everyone expects he'll turn out just the same. Everyone has their eye on that kid his whole life, expecting him to ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
"...it’s the name of the most evil Black Witch there has ever been.”

I want to say “Marcus.” He’s my father and I want to say his name, but I’m too afraid. I’m always too afraid to say his name.
Oh, hi, Voldemort!

This book is Snape: The Teenage Years. Only without much magic. WHERE'S MY MOTHERFUCKING MAGIC? Is it too much to ask for magic in a book about WITCHES?! If I'm going to read Dracula, I want some fucking vampires, and I want them to suck the bloody hell out of some humans. If I'm going
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoyed the first 50 pages and the last 50 pages, but everything in between was underwhelming. I'm going to do a full video review to share more of my thoughts, so look out for that! :)
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
Basically about some emo kid.

Plot Rundown:
Nathan is the black sheep of the family. As everyone else is a White Witch, he's the “half-code”/black and white.
Every witch receives three gifts on their seventeenth birthday, the same day they discover what their ability is. The question is, will he make it till then?
As Black Witches are despised and hunted, Nathan knows something about himself many others don't. Though he has the demeanour of good, will he still be overcome with evil?
As the counci
C.G. Drews
REREAD 2017:
Well I'm pleased to say I'M STILL 50000% TRASH FOR THIS BOOK. I actually love it so much it physically pains my heart. So there you have it. (A) I do have feelings [just a few] and (B) it's so so good. I'm hit again by how much of a stream-of-consciousness feel it has. Like, we're not reading about Nathan. WE ARE NATHAN. And I'm..I'm...ya that puddle on the floor is me it's ok I didn't like happiness anyway.

Also it's been 3 years since I read this and I just?!???? I JUST ADORE IT MOR
Daiane
Apr 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
Unpopular opinion time Yay!

I thought about giving this book 2 stars but who am I kidding? It was a torture to read it! I seriously have no idea how I got to the end. Oh wait, yes I have! I was actually waiting for something, anything, to happen! Plus, it promised me

A world divided between black and white witches and those in the dark side are tortured and murdered. Almost all the black witches are nowhere to see but one. Since Nathan was a baby he is treated poorly by his family. The only kid fr
Steph Sinclair
When I first picked this book up from BEA, I wasn't very interested because I saw the word "witches" and thought, "NOPE, NOPE, NOPE." Even in my review policy it states that I don't review books about witches. Why? Well, because of Harry Potter. I didn't want to sit and compare the two and I had a feeling that I would. What made matters worse was the fact that ended up being toted as The Next Big Thing from The Hunger Games to, you guessed it, Harry Potter. So it's a good thing this book was not ...more
Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting to like it but I actually found it really enjoyable and really quick! A nice surprise!
Giselle
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
Half Blood started as a 5-star read for me. This lasted 'til about three quarters which is when I realized we really hadn't gotten anywhere in the story. Boredom quickly followed, until I was unfortunately underwhelmed by the anticlimactic ending. Nevertheless, it's an incredibly well written book that has a lot to offer if you have a bit of patience, although it's unique in a way that may not adhere to all tastes.

When we meet our protagonist, Nathan, he's naught but a young lad. Young and unfo
Regan
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
Half Bad follows a boy named Nathan, and Nathan lives in a world where good witches (white) and bad witches (black) exist. Nathan, however, is unique because he is half good and half bad, his father is the most notorious black witch alive and his mother is dead. Nathan lives a life facing constant prejudice from all sides, and he is just trying to survive until his 17th birthday so he can receive his 3 gifts and become a full fledged witch.

I enjoyed this book overall, especially the first half.
Ben Alderson
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG OMG OMG !
this book was super good! i loved it so very much! i am really loving the building of the characters and relationships! i hope in the next book magic will be seen more ! :D
Daniel Cohen
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

For me, something like "Half Bad" is very, very rare. I read a lot of fantasy, much of that lot from the contemporary masters of the field (Sanderson, Rothfuss, Williams, Rowling etc.) I have been well immersed in the fantasy genre, and as spoiled as it may sound, have come to expect greatness in the fantasy that I choose to read. I chanced across a copy of the "Half Bad" unedited manuscript at the 2013 BEA, and decided to take a chance.

I was sufficiently and unexpectedly blown away. "Half Bad"
Kiki
OH MY GOD SO EPIC. Loved every word of it. Full review is on its way.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I'M HAVING A GIVEAWAY FOR ALL THREE BOOKS IN THE SERIES AND A TOTE BAG ON MY BLOG SO COME ON OVER AND ENTER!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

Nathan, poor Nathan. He had it bad from the start. He is born to a mother that was a white witch and a father that was a black witch. A lot of his family hated him from birth and wanted him dead. I mean to look at a little baby and want it dead. I'm not saying his mother did, there are things about her you have to find out by reading the book.

Nathan h
Simona Bartolotta
2.5, because oh, who am I fooling, it's a 2 and that's it.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid this review will be terribly short. The reason? Take the title and replace the word "Half" with "Totally". Here you have my review.
But, as I'm sure you know by now, I wouldn't be at peace with myself if I didn't at least try to explain why.

• The pace is off, off, off. Pages in which nothing happens, others in which the hell happens, but my attention is already drifting in a sea of "let's guess how much f**k I giv
Darth J
Mar 06, 2015 rated it liked it

This book read more like an overlong prologue than the actual first installment in a series. The whole thing is about the MC finally getting his powers, which he does at the end. I’m not even going to put that in a spoiler alert because it doesn’t need one. The book is very predictable so it also should come as no surprise that he gains them from his father, a *gasp* Black witch.

I have a problem with these terms: “Black” and “White” witches. They aren’t clearly defined in the story other than sa
Mai
I can't believe it!
I finally read this book! I've wanted to read it since the first time I saw it on here.

And, I'm not disappointed, not one bit!

The reason I'm giving this four stars is because while reading I actually felt like the author was very inspired by Harry Potter that her book was infected by the main idea behind it, but it was also completely different and very well executed!

The storyline is amazing, I was feeling like crying every time I forced myself to close the book to sleep becau
Josu Grilli
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-mayo
Con una trama que puede sonar típica, Sally Green presenta un personaje principal realmente bien construido y una historia que al final, es más profunda de lo que parece. Al ser una relectura, recordaba ciertas cosas que me marcaron. Aun y todo, había pasajes de los cuales no recordaba nada y que me han impactado igual. La autora no tiene pelos en la lengua y habla de torturas y sangre sin importarle nada (y bien que hace, oye). El estilo, sin embargo, es lo que consigue que El lado oscuro se co ...more
This started out strangely, continued that way for a while, then went really downhill.

Nathan was someone that I immediately felt quite sorry for. The way his mother , siblings, in fact everyone treated him from the time he was a new-born was just disgusting and awful. How anyone can treat a poor defenceless baby that way I don’t know. Poor Nathan just got tormented, put down, and generally mistreated his entire life.

This book for me seemed to be about racism? I might have that wrong, bu
Faye, la Patata

If there's anything Half Bad by Sally Green has, it's definitely an interesting and intriguing premise. Now, let me tell you it's hard to make me excited for any Paranormal book, but that's simply because I hold this particular genre in very low regard. I am not a fan of it, not by a long shot, but having been proven wrong again and again by such spectacular PNR books (Written in Red and The Diviners), I will not say "no" to one that has been deemed great by my peers, and especially not to this
Kassidy
*4.5*

I love how original and unique this book is! The writing style is so cool and I really like how the timeline is set up.

The main character Nathan is great, he is just a fighter and never gives up. He goes through some absolutely terrible things, but he always has hope and keeps control of his mind. His journey is so intriguing and interesting, I just had to keep reading to know more.

The world is also great because I felt everything is explained nicely and it's not very confusing. I like the
Rose
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
buddy read with my fav, Christine :)

i don't think i've ever seen such mixed reviews?

and it's not even like people who just hate it or love it- there's literally a perfect mix of 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 stars? weird... but anyway, not reading any reviews so i don't get spoiled or become biased~*~

wish us luck!!

- - - - -

HI WHERES BOOK TWO

sO many questions
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5
I had some issues with this first book, but I'm excited to see where the series goes!
Kisses A
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
For some parts I was like

By the end

description

I was not wowed by this one. I think it started of well and towards the middle it got boring. Only like the last 25% of the book at the end was a bit enjoyable. I think what lacked for me was the world building. All that we find out is the catagories of witches and their abilities and oh yeah there is no magic. It's a bit plotless.
I know I said I appreciated the language but by 30% into the book I started to get annoyed by it. Yeah it bit me in the back! I also
Prabh⚔
full review now hereeee!

LMAO I finally sat my ass down to write this review LOLOLOL

I have been procrastinating writing this since I finished the book and cried instead of studying for my test which was a day after. Wow. Anyways, this was such a beautiful, beautiful book. My heart pains to see that it’s so good and yet so underrated! (pls read it lol)

I loved everything, and it’s been a WHILE since I had absolutely no complaints in a book. The thing is, I want to read the next books ASAP but I’m n
Heidi The Hippie Reader
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Half Bad is a young adult fantasy novel that seeks to be "grittier" than typical YA fare. It succeeds, in part, but is bogged down by the typical angst-y relationships and fairly predictable plot.

I think most readers agree that the opening is the best part of Half Bad. It is a bit of a downhill ride from there.
Lexie
It took me a shamefully long time to finish this book for me, because I kept getting distracted by... things... Things I truthfully don't wanna admit. But anyway, onto my review for this book.

When I first started reading Half bad, this book was nothing like what I had been expecting, and in truth, this book is in that certain, particular style that I just don't like. The writing style was kinda basic, and it also kind of jumped from first person to second person all the time. In all honesty, th
Matt Kays
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This will become your new obsession come March. Trust.

Between this and Red Rising the SFF YA landscape is changing, and for the better. It will be hard for me read other YA novels this year that do not live up to this level of storytelling and craftsmanship and I imagine my DNF list to grow exponentially because of it.

Half Bad is as good, if not better, than most of the adult fantasy I read. Think Sanderson, Rothfuss, Weeks, Ryan, etc. This book is excellent and I have no doubt that it will beco
Sercan Vatansever
description

Allah'ım bitti! Neresinden başlasam...

Eğer bu kitabı yorumlarına güvendiğim arkadaşlar bu kadar sevmeseydi 'çok satılması için yapılıyor' falan derdim. (hatta demişim gibi bişey) 48 ülkeye satılacak, film hakkı daha çıkmadan alınacak hiçbir şey görmedim. Hiçbir şey. Hatta bu kitabın yurt dışında çıkar çıkmaz hemen sonrasında Türkiye'de yayımlanmasını ve o kadar güzel serileri hala beklememizi esefle kınıyorum!

Betimlemeler: Tek kelimeyle; yetersiz. YA'larda betimleme beklemiyorum zaten ama insan
Bianca Marconero
Se la saga di Harry Potter fosse una foto a colori, Half Bad sarebbe il negativo.
Siamo di fronte all'ennesima dimostrazione che HP è ormai un canone e che chiunque ci può giocare sopra ricombinando gli elementi.
Detto questo, ho trovato un mondo perfettamente 'potteriano': elementi magici, famiglie magiche (qui 'incanti') mischiate a babbani ( qui 'profani'); e mezzosangue invisi a una parte della comunità magica. I cattivi sono perseguitati dagli Auror (qui 'cacciatori').
Abbiamo l'orfano predest
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Half Bad [September 2018] 25 24 Sep 18, 2018 09:47AM
Who is your favorite character? 5 7 Jul 13, 2018 08:24AM
Is Nathan strong or weak? 1 4 Jul 07, 2018 09:06PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Half Bad (The Half Bad Trilogy #1) by Sally Green - Restarting May 7th 2018 99 201 May 05, 2018 02:20AM
HELP: Recommendation Needed 2 11 Mar 21, 2018 10:43AM
Books like Half Bad 2 22 Oct 13, 2017 12:00PM
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • Otherbound
  • The Glass Casket
  • Banished (The Blackhart Legacy, #1)
  • Plus One
  • (Don't You) Forget About Me
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • The Nightmare Dilemma (The Arkwell Academy, #2)
  • Drew (Changers, #1)
  • Prisoner of Night and Fog (Prisoner of Night and Fog, #1)
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Fiendish
  • The Lost
  • How to Lead a Life of Crime
  • A Breath of Frost (The Lovegrove Legacy, #1)
  • Untold (The Lynburn Legacy, #2)
Hi - I'm Sally Green. I'm the author of the real-world/ fantasy Half Bad Trilogy, which is made up of Half Bad, Half Wild and Half Lost. Most people read them in that order but there's always a few who don't. Many people who read them are teenagers but there's a lot who aren't.

I'm currently working on a new series called The Smoke Thieves, which is due to be published in spring 2018 and is definit

The Half Bad Trilogy (3 books)
  • Half Wild (The Half Bad Trilogy, #2)
  • Half Lost (The Half Bad Trilogy, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Into the Fire  (The Thin Veil #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Sudden Appearance of Hope
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
  • Six Scary Stories
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Rite of Passage
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
  • Flowertown
    $3.99 $0.99
“The trick is not to mind.
Not to mind about it hurting.
Not to mind about anything.”
113 likes
“The new trick is to stay in the present ... Get lost in the detail of it ... Enjoy it!” 47 likes