Start by marking “Body of Work: Finding the Thread that Ties Your Career Together” as Want to Read:
Body of Work: Finding the Thread that Ties Your Career Together

Body of Work: Finding the Thread that Ties Your Career Together

These days it's increasingly rare to have a stable career in any field. More and more of us are blending big company jobs, startup gigs, freelance work, and volunteer side projects. We take chances to expand our knowledge, capabilities, and experience. But how do we make sense of that kind of career - and explain it?

Pamela Slim, the acclaimed author of Escape from Cubicle
Published April 24th 2014 by Portfolio Penguin (first published December 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Body of Work, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Body of Work

Jenny
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Pamela Slim's Body of Work is the perfect companion for anyone looking to find the common threads in their career and weave them into a unifying platform for the future, in an economy that increasingly values agility, creativity and innovation. Her book is jam-packed with the perfect blend of anecdotes and insanely helpful exercises -- each chapter could be an entire book unto itself!

Pam's recommendations are compelling, clear, and road-tested with hundreds (if not thousands) of entrepreneurs a
Annie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I give this book 3.5 stars. The stories are good as examples of how other people found meaningful work and built their body of work through different means, such as employment, side gig, volunteerism, and personal relationships. However, the guidance wasn't inspiring. The author used the analogy of ingredients and recipes. Skills, strengths, experience, and jobs are the ingredients. The recipes are how you produce your body of work, such as results at work, planning an event, organizing your fam ...more
Robin
I read this book twice this year. Once at the beginning of the year, but then I forgot to review it and thought I had forgotten everything about it. Then I re-read it this month and discovered that I had been applying concepts from it all year, so it had seeped in after all. On my second pass through, I dog-eared all the pages that I found especially useful, and now that corner of the book looks like I dropped it in water.

Supremely useful ideas:

Framework for building your body of work (p.12): D
Susan
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful, insightful book that has something to teach everyone about the value of a multifaceted career. A joy to read, and a reassuring, important and practical message in today's fractured world of work. Lots of specific guidance for understanding your own body of work, using it to craft a resilient career, and sharing your unique skills with the world. Loved it!
Claudia
This book was not written for me, a retired professional, looking for the 'threads', the themes of my career at the end. It's for younger readers, younger professionals, to create the themes and threads, being clear about your purpose and passion.

That said, I still learned. I read the advice for bloggers with interest, and hope my own blog follows her guidelines.

Right at the end I found what I needed --how to create your own high-level story. Answer: 1. What are the themes that run thru your wor
Jeanne
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general
An engaging book filled with easy to follow information, some of which I already knew from having spent a few years on this beautiful rock called Earth, some of which I didn't know or hadn't thought about quite that way. Much of the information, ideas, and suggestions contained on these pages is transferrable, allowing you to use the information and exercises for on the job clarity, when writing the next great novel, when sitting around the supper table.
Melinda Flaugher
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The first half of the book deserved four stars because the author writes to various types of job hunters, but the second half only receives three stars because the book relates more towards entrepreneurs. I really enjoyed the first few chapters because they helped me with job direction.
Fayiz Melibary
Apr 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
لو إنت من جيل البعثات أو حوله، أنصحك و بشدة إنك تقرأ هذا الكتاب.

تناقش الكاتبة فيه كيف سوق العمل لهذا العصر أختلف عن الماضي و كثر التغييرات و التحولات بما فيها التطور الألكتروني الجارف بيغير سوق العمل بشكل شبه يومي، مما يجعل التفكير بشكل Linear في الحياة المهنية غير ملائم لعصرنا.

الكاتبة تنصح أن الشخص ينظر لحياته المهنية بنظرة شمولية أكثر و عميقة، ليدمج ما بين شهاداته و خبراته الحياتية ليكون لنفسه برسونا مهنية مميزة تجعله مختلف و ذَا قيمة سوقية أعلى في سوق يكتظ بكل التخصصات من كل العالم.

بمعنى آ
Dave Rothacker
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who can breathe
For the Baby Boomer - No matter where you are in your career arc, Pam's book helps to instill reverence in what you've accomplished. There's soooooo much more to give yourself credit for than you realize.

For the re-inventing your career Boomer, Body of Work helps you understand what you've put into the tank on your journey.

For Gen Yers - All I can say is that I wish I had access to Pam and her book when I was younger. It'd be easy to call this book a roadmap. But I don't think it is. A map exist
Connor Leech
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked this book but it covered a lot of self help that I did not think was necessary. The author starts with a strong thesis and asks many, many questions for readers to contemplate. This book is good for probing in to how you think about your career. There is an undertone of fear that you have to do side projects and other work to keep up running throughout. I would read a few pages and then have to stop and think about wtf I'm doing with my life, remember I'm fine and then keep reading. This ...more
Nick
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the good kind of self-help books -- clearly written, full of great stories, and immensely helpful. Pam's authenticity shines out from every page. If you're trying to figure out your role in life, your next move, or whether or not to start that business, read this book first and answer all the questions. You'll be glad you did.
Michael Tefft
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous, thought provoking book by Pamela Slim of Escape from Cubicle Nation fame. What she challenges you to do is not easy; it's literally defining who you and writing your story. This is not a quick fix solution - this is meaningful work. My current job ranks way too high on her Loathing Scale, but I intend to follow the exercises in this book.

Go and get this book NOW!
Andy Beal
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had to keep putting this book down, not because it was tiresome, but because my mind would start processing all the great ideas that came from it. This is one of those books that gets you thinking about the legacy you wish to leave and the body of work that will define you.
Melissa
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some great ideas in this book for entrepreneurs and those working for organisations. I read through the whole book quickly to get the big picture, but I'll definitely be giving it a second read at a slower pace.
Kent White
Definitely worth re-reading every year.
Mark Brewer
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very good writing on how to think about your career and your life. Highly recommended for people thinking of change or early 20s thinking about where to head out in the world.
Rachel
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous, insightful book with straightforward and actionable takeaways. I would recommend this one in particular to any self-identified multipotentialites.
Gisli Olafsson
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it. It brings together a number of good ways to help you find and define your body of work - what you want to become known for.
Karina
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant work on how to make sense of careers and work today, with great takeaways and inspirational stories.
kelly
I read this book close to the time I read Insight (about self-awareness) and Long Story Short (about story-telling) and now the advice and ideas from all three books are all mixed together in my mind -- in a good, synergistic way, I hope.

Her usual target audience is those making a career change to entrepreneurship, and it comes up a lot throughout the book, though she does try to generalize her advice. But I'd constantly shrug off examples for that audience that I think don't apply to me (I don'
Anna Sabino
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pam was one of the speakers at Tribe Conference and I decided to grab her book right after the talk. Body of Work is a necessary road map for all of us who want to stay relevant in today's competitive market place. Pam defines body of work as the skill set we accumulate and apply in tasks and jobs. The larger our body of work, the larger the array of opportunities ahead of us. We all need to keep building our body of work and Pam shows us how to stretch and extend. Author uses effective metaphor ...more
Kashif
Jan 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Why this book was written: To show readers how to tie disparate areas of their work into a congruent story

Synthesis: Identify your ingredients - the set of skillsets that define you. Then choose to apply these to disparate pursuits in the roles of employee, self employed, entrepreneur and investor.

Key techniques:

- Identify what type of networker you are; connector (connects people), maven (has varied knowledge) or salesperson

- Tell a narrative story around everything you have done - whether it b
Kat
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the concept of creating a body of work based on my skills, passions and beliefs (rather than following a set singular career path) and the first few chapters really enthralled and excited me. I felt really understood as a 'multi-potentialite' which I feel is a different and more positive way of defining millennials. I found the rest of the book covered many concepts and ideas I'd already discovered but it was still really helpful to consider the techniques in a new and different context. ...more
Kony
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I appreciate Pam Slim's practical, wise, nonjudgmental approach to designing and implementing your own vision of success. With grace and clarity, she walks you through the entire process -- from identifying your core values, personal strengths, hard skills, and work modes; to overcoming internal and external setbacks; to assembling a network of peer mentors who balance out your weak spots; to tailoring your story for the right audiences. The personal reflection exercises toward the beginning are ...more
Megan Bell
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I was excited about the idea of this book but found myself consistently underwhelmed while reading it. There’s definitely some good advice in it, but there’s also a lot of common sense and self-help that didn’t feel on-point to me. It’s worthwhile to think about how you might weave a coherent story about yourself from your work, for your own satisfaction and to increase stability in an unstable economy, but I don’t know that I made significant progress from reading this.
Danielle
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
was sooo excited while reading through the first chapter or so and the excitement never died down! very helpful stuff in trying to reframe your career around your values instead of pigeonholing yourself into an occupation and taking whatever associations are attached to it. the idea of avatars/ecosystems/watering holes is so similar to personas. the author takes you through a multitude of thoughtful questions that can spark inspiration for the storytelling of your life and career.
Moneera
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is one of those book you will come to re-read some part of it later. Important for different stages of your life.
Robyn Eason
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very well-written book with concrete examples and a ready "to-do" formula on how to create, articulate, and compile your own body of work
Howard
Feb 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's good, but if the words "In A Side Hustle" were added to the title, it would be a little more accurate. Done let that stop you, though.
Sean Post
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is worth it for the QUESTIONS. Chalk full of powerful questions for reflective self-analysis.
Slim Trim 2000 is best here 1 1 Feb 15, 2018 11:36PM
Goji Secca is best for slim body lovers 1 1 Feb 10, 2018 01:05AM
  • Working for Yourself: Law & Taxes for Independent Contractors, Freelancers & Consultants
  • The Art of Work
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • Slicing Pie - Funding Your Business Without Funds
  • Networking Is Not Working: Stop Collecting Business Cards and Start Making Meaningful Connections
  • Get Back in the Box: Innovation from the Inside Out
  • Make Your Contacts Count: Networking Know-How for Business and Career Success
  • The Economy of You: Discover Your Inner Entrepreneur and Recession-Proof Your Life
  • You Can't Teach a Kid to Ride a Bike at a Seminar : The Sandler Sales Institute's 7-Step System for Successful Selling
  • Die Empty: Unleash Your Best Work Every Day
  • Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: The Demise of 20th Century Selling & the Advent of Helping Clients Succeed
  • What Great Brands Do: The Seven Brand-Building Principles That Separate the Best from the Rest
  • The Pledge: Your Master Plan for an Abundant Life
  • Badass: Making Users Awesome
  • Do You Talk Funny?: 7 Comedy Habits to Become a Better (and Funnier) Public Speaker
  • The 2-Hour Job Search: Using Technology to Get the Right Job Faster
  • The Right-Brain Business Plan: A Creative, Visual Map for Success
  • An Everyone Culture: Becoming a Deliberately Developmental Organization
“Individuals who structure their careers around autonomy, mastery, and purpose will have a powerful body of work.” 3 likes
“No one is looking out for your career anymore. You must find meaning, locate opportunities, sell yourself, and plan for failure, calamity, and unexpected disasters. You must develop a set of skills that makes you able to earn an income in as many ways as possible.” 3 likes