Start by marking “By the Grace of Todd” as Want to Read:
By the Grace of Todd

By the Grace of Todd

Perfect for fans of Andrew Clements, Dan Gutman, and The Borrowers, By the Grace of Todd is the laugh-out-loud answer to what happens if you leave dirty laundry on the floor . . . and don’t follow your mother’s instructions to clean your room.

Twelve-year-old Todd has created life through sheer grossness.
How did he become an accidental god?

Ingredient A: A worn athletic soc
Published February 27th 2014 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about By the Grace of Todd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Grace of Todd

Lisa
Nov 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced reading copy of "By the Grace of Todd" from a friend. Although I feel like I read for a living (I'm a children's librarian), it took a few weeks to start reading this book due to another pile sitting on my bedside table. I wanted to give this book the time I felt it deserved for me to savor it. I savored up to the booger rating scene, then realized this was a book to be devoured with gusto, like Dr. Pepper & Doritos!
Todd is an unassuming young man, best friends with Du
Marge
May 16, 2015 rated it did not like it
Tried to read it several times and just couldn't get into it.
Rosa
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
*3,5 Sterne
Tara
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, arc
This was a fun read with a very imaginative, but totally relatable premise that I think many young readers will love.

As an adult reader, I especially enjoyed the tiny Toddlians' worshipful attitude toward their "Great Todd," including the faux-Biblical voice of the prologue and some of the Todd-inspired art that comes later in the book--very funny. Some of the gross-out humor, on the other hand, went a little too far for my taste, but will probably play a lot better with its target audience.

The
Lu
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Todd discovers a new species of intelligent life growing on his dirty sock. Unfortunately, the class bully chooses Todd to be a partner for their science project and discovers the Toddlians by accident. When the bully decides this should be their science project, all manner of complications arise. This was an enjoyable, humorous read while dealing with a timely topic of bullies.
Robin Herrera
A wildly original concept, hilariously executed by Louise Galveston. (I want a spin-off book about Lucy!)
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
What a cute book! I love the premise about tiny people being spawned on a gym sock! On the surface, this is your typical story of a middle-school kid trying to avoid bullies, wishing he could be one of the "cool kids", and ultimately learning about friendship and how to stand up for himself.

But the addition of those tiny people makes it so unique and fun, especially once the little Toddlians start watching TV and reading the encyclopedia! Their out-of-place references to pop culture, John Wayn
Angie
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Todd's room has got to be the grossest ever. There are dirty clothes and dishes everywhere, he has food stashed under his bed, and I am not sure he has ever cleaned. All this filth leads to new life however when Todd discovers his gross gym sock has created a race of tiny people. The Toddlians worship Todd as their supreme creator. Todd has no idea what to do with them so he enlists the help of is homeschooled neighbor Lucy. Unfortunately, Todd is also bullied and has to let bully Max Loving use ...more
Ms. Yingling
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Todd's room is such a mess that when he sees a spark flying from a dirty sock, he is concerned that spontaneous combustion might be occurring, so he consults his homeschooled neighbor, Lucy. The two discover that the dirt in Todd's room has given rise to a race of tiny beings the size of ants, who live off of Todd's skin flakes and other detritus. In order to keep the evil Duddy and the even more evil Max from bullying him, Todd agrees to let Max have the Toddlians for a science fair project, an ...more
Carol J
I received this book as a Good Reads Giveaway. I asked for this book because it was compared to The Borrowers. I don't think it lives up to that level but I did find it amusing.

It is a good read for it's age group and the story should keep young readers engrossed in the outcome of the Toddlians. The predictable story of wanting to be part of the perceived cool group is at the root of the story but done in a way that should not turn off the young reader. The story moves along at a rate to encour
Joanne G.
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Todd is a twelve-year-old slob whose slovenly habits have somehow birthed life on one of his grungy socks. Todd can't even keep a goldfish alive. How will he manage an entire community of Toddlians?

I purchased Ms. Galveston's book in the adult section of a local bookstore, so my expectations were jarred when I began reading a tale aimed at readers about half a century younger than me. I was initially disappointed and grossed out (this being a positive rather than a negative for the target audien
Yapha
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
When a tiny form of life evolves on Todd's sweaty gym sock, he feels a certain responsibility towards the inhabitants of the new civilization. Told in alternating chapters between Todd and three of the Toddlians, we watch as their civilization continues to grow and develop. Todd's home-schooled neighbor Lucy wants to study them further and protect them more, while the biggest bully in 6th grade wants to turn them into a circus exhibition. This book poses interesting questions about the responsib ...more
Rebecca Petruck
I was deeply inspired by this book and promptly vacuumed, washed sheets, and engaged in personal grooming. Also, I laughed a lot and particularly adore the baby sister's inner monologue. But my favorite element of BY THE GRACE OF TODD is how much I empathized with Todd when he was making terrible decisions for the wrong reasons. A reader will totally get him even while yelling at him to stop being a doof--which is pretty brilliant writing in my opinion. And remember that true story about cheese ...more
Dolores
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014, edw-arc, azr
I really wanted to like this book, as I'm always looking for something to give to my boys who are reluctant readers. There were more than a few laugh-out-loud moments - mostly Toddlian and baby sister perspectives of the world around them. I wasn't bothered by the gross humor as much as I was bothered by the bullying. Given that this was the major theme of the story, I don't think it was dealt with successfully. The bullies got away with WAY too much and I didn't enjoy the retaliation in-kind. I ...more
Jamie
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Galveston uses a variety of perspectives to tell the story of new life growing from the filth of Todd's gym sock. Boys 9 and up will love the disgusting details and girls will want to be like Lucy, Todd's super smart, scientific- minded neighbor. The author's message about friendship and bullies will also resonate with students today.
Beth
Dec 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4th-grade
This book is funny, GROSS, and has a good message. Who knew? The whole idea of a civilization spawning on a kid's nasty sock is the best! I think I should go and check the socks laying on my kids' bedroom floors! I know this would be a great book for reluctant readers. It would also be an excellent read aloud, if you could do the voices and accents!!! VERY CLEVER!!!
Kate Hannigan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has one of the best premises that I've come across! Todd peeks under his bed only to discover an entire civilization has grown from his disgusting sweat socks and other clutter under there! Louise's writing is lively and fun, and the suspense around what happens to the Toddlians keeps the pages turning! A fun read for anyone who has ever been told to CLEAN UP THAT ROOM!
Cindy
Feb 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Good middle school read. It is a little on the bizarre side with little people spawned on a dirty gym sock hidden under bed. Called Toddlians these little people help Todd defeat bullies and appreciate his real friends.
C. L.
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay, so the sci-fi basis was more than a little thin. Who cares? This is a funny story about a geek who spawned life on his gym sock. It reminded me of The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks, which was one of my faves as a kid. Good for a fun afternoon laugh. Recommended.
Jen Malone
Jan 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Boys. Will. Love. This. (this girl did too). It's full of totally gross humor- like seriously gross- and c'mon, the kid grows an entire civilization in the sweaty sock under his bed. How great is that? At it's heart though is a great story that will strike a chord with middle school kids.
Raihana
Jul 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: clean, children
pace was slow, and didn't feel for characters. got bored halfway through the book. P3-4
Jessica
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
i received this copy from the author in a giveaway. is really different from what I usually read but it was a good book. Louise has a great imagination!
Kris Patrick
Jul 19, 2015 marked it as abandoned
gross. Abandoning another yhba
Aline Ramos
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
adorei!
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Pretty gross. Good "guy" read for upper elementary and middle school.
Patricia Kaniasty
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was cute but could have been so much more. I would have liked to hear more about the little people and less about Todd. It's mostly about a kid who is bullied. Overall, kind of dull.
Book Buying With Katie
Jan 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • There Will Be Bears
  • At Your Service
  • I Heart Band (I Heart Band #1)
  • The Actual & Truthful Adventures of Becky Thatcher
  • Steering Toward Normal
  • The Only Thing Worse Than Witches
  • What the Moon Said
  • Caminar
  • The Lost Planet (Chase Garrety #1)
  • When Audrey Met Alice
  • The 8th Continent (The 8th Continent, #1)
  • Ambassador (Ambassador #1)
  • All Four Stars (All Four Stars #1)
  • Geeks, Girls and Secret Identities
  • Cupcake Cousins (Cupcake Cousins, #1)
  • Hook's Revenge (Hook's Revenge, #1)
  • The Emerald Ring (Cleopatra's Legacy, #1)
  • Spirit's Key
Louise grew up on horseback in the Midwest. The only thing that could pull her out of the saddle was a great book or a game of Star Wars. The lone girl in her neighborhood, she always got to play Princess Leia, thus her mad lightsaber skills. (Yes, she had the cinnamon roll side-bun hair.) Louise even cleaned her room on occasion, but never found anything but a rogue hamster under her bed.

Louise s