Start by marking “The Lonesome Young” as Want to Read:
The Lonesome Young

The Lonesome Young

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  620 Ratings  ·  128 Reviews
Get swept away in the first book of the sensational romantic drama that is Romeo & Juliet meets Justified.

WHAT HAPPENS when the teenage heirs of two bitterly FEUDING FAMILIES can’t stay away from each other?

The Rhodales and the Whitfields have been sworn enemies for close on a hundred years, with a whole slew of adulterous affairs, financial backstabbing, and blackmail
Published April 8th 2014 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about The Lonesome Young, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lonesome Young

YA Novels of 2014
1,547 books — 9,137 voters
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeAlienated by Melissa LandersStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenThe Murder Complex by Lindsay CummingsSnow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch
YA Debuts 2014
375 books — 1,494 voters

More lists with this book...

Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Nov 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, favorite
Review also posted at Young Adult Hollywood.

If I looked back at the mediocre rating of this book. I honestly didn't expect I would consume it in one sitting down.

The Lonesome Young is the Young Adult modern retelling of Romeo & Juliet meets Justified.

The Rhodales and the Whitfields have been mortal enemies from the very beginning. And even though that has been the case for years, both of the families had managed to keep their ceasefire. Until one day, Victoria Whitfield arrived in the coun
Rose
Jun 23, 2013 marked it as not-yet-released
The plot for this one sounds kind of ridiculous but I'm kinda sold? Hearing books (or their love stories) being compared to Romeo & Julia (that's not a compliment, in my opinion) makes me cringe but this one sounds like something that might be able to entertain me. (Hopefully not with its ridiculousness, though.)
Colleen Houck
I am a huge fan of horses. I've read all the Black Stallion books and have always dreamed of owning a horse ranch. This is probably the only YA book I've read with thoroughbreds. Love the bad boy on his motorcycle and the good girl on horseback. The drug running stuff scares me. I'd get as far away from that as I could. I'm really hoping these two make a run for it.
Jessica (Step Into Fiction)
This book was recommended to me by Katie McGarry so clearly I knew I had to add it to my TBR pile. She raved about it and now I really can't wait to read this! It sounds great plus Katie's heavy support absolutely makes it a must read for me!
Sara Grochowski
2.5 stars. Victoria Whitfield is just returning home when a meth lab explodes. Mickey Rhodale's older brother is just returning home as well... from jail. Both teens are pulled to the scene of the explosion, where they meet by chance. A relationship between good girl Victoria and bad boy Mickey should never work, but, for better or worse, the two are pulled towards one another. But there's more than just class and status against the Victoria and Mickey: their families have hated one another for ...more
Justine
J'ai finalement décidé d'arrêter de le lire à la 100e page. Ce n'est juste pas possible. D'un côté, j'aurais aimé savoir comment le livre allait évoluer mais bon 100 pages et rien ne se passe à part des répétitions incessantes de "lui c'est un délinquant, sa famille aussi, blablabla" et "Princesse par-ci, ne t'approche pas d'elle par-là"
Je n'ai pas envie d'y passer 10 jours donc next !
Paige
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
Check out my review here: https://thepaigeturnerblog.wordpress....
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Victoria Whitfield moves back home to her family's Kentucky ranch after her father's business takes a turn for the worse and he can no longer afford her expensive boarding school. The Whitfields are the richest family in town (the county is named after them!) and everyone knows them. Victoria now has to go to the public school, but she makes the best of it, especially since she gets to see her little brother everyday now. On her first day back in town, she finds herself at the scene of a meth la ...more
Amy
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Another forbidden love. Another dual narrative. Another misunderstood rich girl. Another misunderstood bad boy.

There was just nothing original about this book.

That being said, it wasn't necessarily BAD either, so it's a solid 3 for me. I'm really glad it didn't mirror ROMEO & JULIET exactly: there was no Queen-Mab-type speech, and the (minor spoiler) (view spoiler). THE LONESOME YOUNG is perfect for an older teen that wants an angsty romance, but d
Tina
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, owned-digital
Sometimes a girl just needs a sappy romance book to read, and this one delivers. The characters are all pretty stereotypical ones from this genre, but that just adds to the pleasure of curling up on a weekend and settling in for a fun ride. This one lives up to the Harlequin-esque cover, and is one I'd definitely rec to romance lovers. It would also make a great beach read.
Kassiah
2-1/2 stars.

A modified version of this book is also posted on Swoony Boys Podcast.

I didn't realize that this wasn't a standalone when I picked it up, and I definitely wish I had waited to read it. Actually, I'm not even sure if I'm glad I read it at all.

Seventeen year old Victoria Whitfield has been plucked out of her posh boarding school life and is on her way to her family's estate when she lays eyes on bad boy Mickey Rhodale for the first time.
He was gorgeous: tall, dark, and definitely dange
ALM188
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
The first quarter started off a bit slow, but once Mickey and Victoria got together, the feud was laid out, the drugs, the family issues; everything was a bunch of chaotic pieces that came together in the very end. This book was so up and down and the reader never got a chance to recover. Sometimes that annoys me a bit, but in this book it just kept pushing me further and helped progress the story. This is truly a modern-day Romeo and Juliet in the least-cliché sense of the comparison. A family ...more
Madison Warner Fairbanks
May 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Lonesome Young by Lucy Connors

A young adult novel where two teens are on opposing sides in a violent multi-generational family feud. Fortunately it doesn't end with them killing themselves!

Victoria Whitfield and Mickey Rhodale are strong characters and by far, the strongest emotionally in their own families as well. Complex writing includes a depth of self destruction by many of the secondary characters.

I really liked this romance drama but it seemed to end a bit abruptly.
Jacquelynne
I can't wait to see what's next to come with Mickey & Victoria! That can't just be the end of them! This book was everything I thought it would be! I adore the different point of views from each character and the way the chapters aren't too long either; enough to get the right amount of emotion and even urgency at certain points for climatic results.

I don't know where a second book would take us but I'll definitely be on board when it arrives!!

FULL REVIEW TO COME.
Stacee
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
I was really excited at the idea of this, but it just didn't play out the way I was expecting. Loved the duel narrative and the [very few] times that Mickey and Victoria were able to be normal teenagers, but that's about it.

Too dramatic, too much of the "I love you, I hate you" push and pull and a very abrupt ending all made for an unsatisfying read.
Rachel's Book Reviews
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 stars! Maaaaybe 3.5, but 4 since I read it pretty much in one sitting.

Review soon. I really didn't feel emotionally invested in the characters (which is kind of a big deal to be missing...) but the plot just kept rolling, so it was action filled an entertaining.

review soon.
stacy ann
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
It was cute but there were a lot of unanswered questions at the end, almost didn't seem finished so I hope it is only the first book of what could be a series, because it stopped at a weird place in the story.
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
Decent first half, boring second half. But I am glad we got a happy ending.
Clemence D
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Le résumé promettait une histoire digne de Roméo et Juliette mais avec les préoccupations de notre temps. Je n'ais pas du tout accroché à ce livre et ce pour plusieurs raisons.

Alors oui, l'histoire est bien une histoire d'amour, les familles des deux amoureux se détestent cordialement comme pour Roméo et Juliette ... mais la comparaison s'arrête la.

J'ai trouvé certes que les personnages principaux étaient un peu attachant mais bien trop caricaturés (tout comme les personnages secondaires) !
De p
Katie (ReadiculousGirl)
3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book. The storytelling style was engaging and made for a quick read. The reason I picked "The Lonesome Young" up was because of the little blurb by Katie McGarry on its back cover. I have a weakness for Katie McGarry's novels, so I thought that I would give it a shot, especially since it was such a good deal at my local library bookstore. I definitely feel like this book had shades of Katie McGarry's "Thunder Road" series, as well as Hatfie
Jen | Jen Talks Audiobooks
This is a true Romeo and Juliet retelling - and probably more accurate than not when it comes to real life. It's set in rural Kentucky and the language is spot on. It was believable and even a little sad.

The ending might seem abrupt, but I think it was a good place to stop with the story. It's a great last line that both sets things up for another book and gives us a great conclusion to this one. I liked it.

If this ever gets published on audio, I hope they get someone who is naturally southern
Angela C
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: forbidden-love
I find myself growing increasingly frustrated with instalove and other clichés in YA romance. It never used to be more than a mild annoyance to me, but lately I seem to be reaching the edge of my tolerance. There are only so many times I can read about someone feeling an immediate, unexplainable connection with some impossibly sexy stranger before I lose my cool.

Unfortunately for The Lonesome Young, it was the book that finally sent me over the edge. It’s got a lot of redeeming qualities, but I’
Lisa Lee
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Lonesome Young by Lucy Connors is a fantastic retelling of Romeo and Juliet. The book involves with romance, complications, drama, family, sisterhood, and other amazing things. At first the title didn't't make sense to me since it was a retelling of a classic story. But reading throughout it will make a lot more sense. The story is set in todays time in Kentucky. There are two families the Whitfields and the Rhodales. Basically their love is forbidden due to drama between the families in the ...more
Pipsytips
This book was a quick easy read. I enjoyed the Romeo and Juliet theme, although it was not the best adaptation of the play that I have read before.

The ending was a little abrupt (although I read this online, so the full book may not have been displayed). I would have liked to know what happened a little more in the future, such as college.

Overall a good contemporary novel that I enjoyed!
Lindsay
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
So this book had a lot of teen angst stupid back and forth love you hate you scenarios and incredibly stupid violent feuds. It had me enough that I wanted to see how it ended ... guess what?! No ending 😒 it's basically got a "to be continued" at the end. Could not be more frustrated about this book. Thankfully I got it for $2 so 🤷🏻♀eh can't complain about getting it to read. ...more
Carla
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is a Romeo and Juliet in modern times. I don't know if the story doesn't suit the characters or the character ages don't suit the story.

Why authors think that living the final hanging is good. Always waiting for the epilogue to conclude the whole story.
Navem
Jun 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I hate to dog an author. But dear God this book sucked. The storyline is awful. The characters are so flat and I could not have cared less about what happened to them. The dialogue was mind numbing. Terrible.
Erin
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay but is there a sequel because you can't just end a book like that,
My'Ja Lewis
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book reminds me of Katie McGarry writings.
Céline Meg
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Seuls contre tous est inspiré de la tragédie Roméo et Juliette de Shakespeare. Grande fan de l'oeuvre du célèbre écrivain, je m'intéresse à tout ce qui est, de près ou loin, tiré de la pièce. Seuls contre tous est une version moderne. Exit le XVIème siècle, Vérone, les Capulet et les Montaigu. Victoria et Mickey vivent à notre époque mais comme leurs célèbres alter ego, leurs deux familles se vouent une haine immense depuis plusieurs générations...

J'ai ten
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 30, 2017 08:20PM
  • Mayday
  • The Edge of Falling
  • One Broke Girl (Edgewood Falls, #1)
  • Summer on the Short Bus
  • My Not So Super Sweet Life (My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century, #3)
  • Sekret (Sekret, #1)
  • Learning Not to Drown
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Camp Payback (Camp Boyfriend, #2)
  • The Chance You Won't Return
  • In Dreams
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Fragile Line
  • My Faire Lady
  • The Romeo Club
  • Minders
  • The Inventor's Secret (The Inventor's Secret #1)
  • The Last Forever

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Blood might be thicker than water, but love was the most powerful magic of all.” 15 likes
“I can tell you that the only thing in the world that makes sense to me right now is you and me.” 8 likes