Start by marking “Minders” as Want to Read:
Minders

Minders

A high concept, cinematic read with a surprising twist, MINDERS asks the question: who is really watching whom?

Q: If the boy you love commits a crime, would you turn him in?

Sadie Ames is a type-A teenager from the wealthy suburbs. She's been accepted to the prestigious Mind Corps Fellowship program, where she'll spend six weeks as an observer inside the head of Ford, a tr
Published January 30th 2014 by Razorbill

To ask other readers questions about Minders, please sign up.
Nia Jkl31ndl
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
YA Novels of 2014
1,548 books — 9,162 voters
Into the Still Blue by Veronica RossiCruel Beauty by Rosamund HodgeUninvited by Sophie JordanThese Broken Stars by Amie KaufmanUnhinged by A.G. Howard
New YA January 2014
83 books — 193 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
Jul 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, own
Minders is a futuristic story about a new science that allows a person to piggyback on someone else's mind. During what's called Syncopy, minders see what their host sees, read their thoughts, feel their pleasure and pain, however they can't control anything, and their host don't know they're being watched.

I was quite surprised by the depth of this story. For the most part, it comes off as a contemporary novel inside a sci-fi bubble. We're literally thrown inside Ford's mind; someone hurt, brok
Rose
After reading both Ghost Flower and Minders by Michele Jaffe, I have no doubt that this woman knows the way to my heart and tear ducts because boy, did I sob after finishing Minders.

This book was everything I needed without knowing I needed it. I've been in a reading slump for months and Minders didn't only get me out of it, it also reminded me why I love reading so much. The excitement I felt while reading this was priceless. I had all different kinds of emotional responses to whatever happened
Amy Plum
What if you fell in love with the boy you were spying on...while trapped inside his mind? A riveting page-turner that kept me guessing until the very end.

You can pop me into Ford Winter’s mind any day. A sexy, futuristic tale of love and betrayal. I devoured it!

(I don't give stars to YA books, since that's the age category I write for!)
Rose
Review to come soon. Good moments mixed with meh moments. I liked the set up, but I wasn't in awe of the execution, which at times lost momentum. Nonetheless, I thought it was decent for the concept.
Rebeca
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't know what it was about this book. It started out great. Sadie had a clear cut-personality, and while she wasn't super interesting, she wasn't infuriating either. The actual concept--these teenagers becoming observers inside the minds of lower class individuals--is pretty interesting, and it's introduced in an intriguing way. I wanted to know more about these technologies, and what it meant in the grand scheme of things.

Then Sadie enters Ford's mind. And it just goes downhill from there.

M
Neil (or bleed)
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked that it turn to a romantic drama of cheating and dumping.
Daniel
Dec 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
First of all, this book was well written. Its style, pace, plot, and characters were absolutely perfect and I'm tempted to rate this book five stars alone for those points.

But I cannot.

I'm a older teen. I'm not a older man that's disconnected from young adults lives by many years. I'm still in the middle of my Young Adult years. And I dislike reading "hate" comments on Goodreads and I'm doing my best not to make one. The sexual themes and explicit situations forced me to stop reading this book t
Rahaf Alghamdi
5/5

Wow. This was way better than I expected. I decided to read this book after i saw fan art of ford and sadie, and when I searched it, i found that it wasn't a very well known book, so I thought, is it really good? Well, one way to find out. So i got it, read it, and abso-fucking-lutely loved it. God, why is it so unknown?? I have never read anything like it. Ford is one of the most interesting characters i have ever read. He was complex and badass and so so sweet.

I've learned that a good book
Elevetha
*Gave up approx 200 pages in*

Well, actually, I was going to finish it till I ran across a scene I was so disgusted with that there was just no way I was going to bother reading the rest of this.

But other than that:

Writing was fine.
Idea was so/so.
Didn't give a crap about Sadie.
Didn't give a crap about Ford.
Hated Plum.
Loved Lulu. And actually the best part of this entire book was Lulu and Ford's interaction with her.
Can't be bothered to remember the names of anyone else.

Mary Manalastas
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

I'm currently having one of those feelings where you wish you forgot you read a certain book and you could read it over again. To feel all those feels anew. To get all surprised because you didn't know what's about to happen. This book is just that. I'm having major book hangover right now. And i hate that feeling cause i'll probably be ending up in a book rut more or else.

I'm kinda regretting that I read the book in one sitting. I just want to savor and cuddle with it as long as possi
Fani
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, science-fiction
~~This review might contain spoilers~~

I don't know why but i liked it. The truth is that i was expecting something different from this book. When i read the book blurb mentioning a girl who is inside a guy's mind i was looking forward to see the main characters communicate with each other inside the male protagonist's head. Instead we see Ford's thoughts and feelings and his not-so-peaceful life plus Sadie's commentary about Ford's choices. Of course there is some interaction between them since
Trisha
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
"When you're lost, every direction looks the same."

ooooooh. This one completely surprised me with how much I enjoyed it.
At first, I wasn't so sure about Sadie. And the general synopsis made me nervous. This could be silly fluff about a girl pining over a boy.

but before I realized it, I'd hit half way. And I was sure I was enjoying it but I wasn't sure I was loving it until...the crux of the plot hit and I realized how much I knew the characters. How I was rooting them on and hoping they won! Th
Sabrina
My mind is still reeling, and I may have developed cardiac issues.

The only note I have to make is that this book is not exactly suitable for YA. There are various sex scenes, even if not explicitly described.
Also: in the synopsis there is a major spoiler. (view spoiler)
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
Aug 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: covergasm
Sometimes I find myself staring at that cover for several minutes. It is so gorgeous I can't.
Manvinder
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it

Originally I was going to give this book 3 stars, but as I read on it (thankfully) got a bit more exciting.

I picked up this book because I liked the concept. Also because it was a standalone, YA, dystopian novel and WE NEED MORE OF THEM IN THIS WORLD GODDAMMIT NOT EVERYTHING NEEDS SEQUELS.

Here's a simple breakdown of the parts of the novel:
- The start:
The epilogue got me hooked, I'll give it that. I liked the interview at the beginning, and how the concept of Syncopy, ie. mind readin
Anna Louise
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This would have been a perfect 5 stars if the ending hadn’t been rushed out so quick. The start tells the story so well and really sets a stage, and the end is told quick without enough detail or proper explanations
Hannah
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book a lot, especially the character development and the chemistry between them.
Michelle Wrona
*3.5 star rating*

I've honestly seen this book everywhere I go, and I feel like it kept on following me, so I then decided to borrow it from the library to give it a go. Since August due to my crazy schedule, it has been stalling in my bookshelf waiting to be picked up and loved from. Minders was a psychological thriller, with some flaws in between. But overall, it was a great novel and a total change.

"He took a step forward, then another. Dread filled her. She wanted to close her eyes, look
Faithc
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
First of all, in all honesty, I was about to give this one a 2 or 3 stars nothing less and nothing more. However, because I loved the very last few chapters and the perfect ending, I changed my mind.

The idea of being able to be inside somebody's mind was really fascinating and interesting but there were some problems all along that sometimes, I just put in so much effort to continue reading this one. Thankfully, I am glad I continued reading. First, Ford was really intense and it was just great
Freddie
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that leaves me breathless after finishing it. Honestly, I wished there was more so I could go back to reading this book every morning over a cup of coffee. I've been getting quite bored of paranormal romance (the genre I absolutely love,) because there is so many that feel like the same cup of tea. Well this was a huge change of pace, and I'm glad I picked it up at my local library.

I was first introduced to Michele Jaffe's writing from a short story collection I picked
Books
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellen-s-reviews
Set in the near future, Minders captivated me in a way few books do. Sadie Ames, a gifted, highly intelligent teenager, has to spend six weeks as an observer in Ford Winter's mind. Although she prides herself on being cold and analytical, can she remain objective?

Completely engaging and moving forward all the time, this book is a true page-turner. As it starts with Sadie being interviewed, it immediately gives the reader a good insight into Sadie's personality. She clearly wants to do well but s
Sumiyya Abdul-Rasheed
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, really-liked
5 out of 5 stars

What it's about:

I'm going to use the blurb from the book because I'm finding it a little hard to summarize.

"In a not-so-distant future Detroit, reading someone's mind is no longer just a fantasy

"An unflinching perfectionist, Sadie Ames is about to embark on every teenage girl's dream-she will be an observer in a boy's mind. Her task is to gather information for a corporation that is working to improve inner-city conditions.

"But as Sadie watches Ford struggle to peel back the m
Libby Wyatt
Sep 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm being nice with three stars, it should be two but what gave it an extra star is literally the beauty of the cover. I struggled to get through this, trying to read it as fast as I could to finish it. Don't get me wrong the concept for the book was what made me buy it (no spoilers) but I felt that it could have been better executed. The love story was forced, like what did Sadie thank was going to happen when Ford found out that he had someone in his head? And saying that she loved him? What?? ...more
Mackenzie Goodwin
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book took me on a journey and made me feel things I didn't think I could emotionally handle. nothing is more terrifying than being in the mind of a teenage boy, but Sadie made it happen and to fall in love with him? that's rough.

I don't want to say too much and give something away, but I do want to let you know that Sadie and Ford ' relationship is like a grenade. it is deadly and bound to explode so you need to duck to avoid the shrapnel.

All that matter is that there is enough big pieces
Jessica
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received an Advanced Reader Copy of this book thanks to the Goodreads Giveaways.

I really liked this book. The plot was so unique, not like any other book I've read. Starting almost right away, I didn't want to put the book down. I just wanted to keep reading, find out what happened next. Great twists at the end that I didn't see coming at all. The ending was a bit abrupt, but overall it was a great book ☺
Brittany
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Had me guessing til the end..... Loved the fact that Ford could feel her in his own head and Sadie finally figuring out life. Wish a little more happened in the end but I guess this ending keeps your mind busy :/
Bailey
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this was sucha good read, had me gripping on til the end, loved the ending and the twists i kinda saw coming but some of them i was oblivious! highly recommend :)
Su Yan
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
NOOOOOO ITS NOT FAIRR, I WANT MOREEEEEEE! I'VE NEVER HAD A MOURNING PERIOD FOR A STAND ALONE BEFORE. URGHHHH
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
A prologue and two straight chapters of infodump and telling me everything about Sadie at once instead of letting me see it gradually = NO.
  • Mayday
  • Fast Forward
  • Almost True (When I Was Joe, #2)
  • Avalon (Avalon, #1)
  • Vitro (Corpus, #2)
  • The Debt & The Doormat
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Wedding Hells (Parker Sisters #0.5)
  • The Memory Keepers
  • The Well's End (The Well's End, #1)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Being Billy
  • The Lonesome Young
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • The Haven
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
  • Darkest Fear (Birthright, #1)
  • Dark Days
Michele Jaffe (b. March 20 in Los Angeles, California), is an American writer. She has authored novels in several genres, including historical romance, suspense thrillers, and novels for Young Adults.
“I want to feel what pressures other people feel. Experience the world guided by someone else's moral compass. See and hear and taste with senses formed in a completely different mold than mine. I want to see what it's like to live someone else's lie...Someone else's life.” 9 likes
“Ford,” she whispered to him. “I promise I’ll leave you alone, never see you again. Just please, help me get you home.”
Still nothing.
“Ford!” She sat up, her hands gripping his shoulders, putting everything she had into it, all her anger and fear and longing and hope and love. “Ford Winter!”
So softly she almost missed it, he whispered, “Present.”
She laughed through her tears and hugged him. “Good boy,” she said.”
5 likes