Start by marking “Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple” as Want to Read:
Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple

Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple

Master entrepreneur, original hip-hop mogul, and New York Times bestselling author Russell Simmons shares the most fundamental key to success—meditation—and guides readers to use stillness as a powerful tool to access their potential.

In the New York Times bestseller Super Rich, Russell Simmons proved that to be rich is more than just having money in the bank—wealth is abo
Published March 4th 2014 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Success Through Stillness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Success Through Stillness

Patrice Hoffman
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I initially threw my hat in the ring for a bid at winning Russell Simmons Success Through Stillness: Meditation Made Simple I didn't think I'd be picked. Honestly, I wasn't hoping to be picked either. Not because I didn't want to read his book, but because I only requested entered into the giveaway off of name recognition. I'm too young to really have lived the impact RunDMC had on the hip-hop community, yet old enough to know the profound mark Russell Simmons has made on, not only music, b ...more
Michael
The second celebrity endorsed meditation book I've read. I prefer Dan Harris' 10% Happier by far.

There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with this book. It is a very good way to introduce people to meditation. It's a quick read and has some fluff to it, including Russell Simmons' personal stories. But that's kind of the point of both this book and Dan Harris' is that they tell you how and why they are meditating. After all these books aren't scientific studies, they are celebrity endorsements.

I ha
C.A. Huggins
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I had my doubts. I've tried meditation off and on before but never stuck to it. But Russ sold me on it. The book is a great, quick read, and I can't wait to put this into use.
Will you start dating super models like Russ after meditating? Probably not.
Will you become a millionaire like Russ after meditating? Probably not.
Will you somehow manage to reverse the aging process in a Benjamin Button-esque fashion like Russ after meditating? Probably not.
But it can make you happier, give you a clearer f
Yodamom
I got much more out of this little book the I expected to at the 50 % point. I was a bit underwhelmed by the first half, it was very analytical of the reason to meditate and the stories of those who do practice it. Please, I didn't need all that I just need the golden ticket, magic mirror. I wasn't interested in hear about that how it helped other stuff, I wanted instant gratification ! Ha ! Mr Simmons made me wait, and slow down to his pace before he gave out the very short, very simpl
Michael
Apr 26, 2014 rated it liked it
This was not a bad read, but like most of the so-called self help books it was long on fluff and short on substance. And like the self help books, the real information concerned with the subject could have been contained in a pamphlet. I guess the market for pamphlets is very small, so the writers fill the pages with stories or examples of stuff somewhat related to the subject and there you have it....a book. In the final chapter, Mr. Simmons revealed his techniques for meditation.

I began medita
Tony Jr.
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I must say, I really enjoyed this book. Russell penned a straight-forward, step by step guide to meditation and mindfulness for the beginner. He starts off covering what meditation is, the myths about meditation, why people don't meditate, the mental benefits of meditation, the physical benefits of meditation, what science says about mediation and ends with step by step how-to meditate. I found this book to be informative, practical and entertaining. Russell did an excellent job of weaving stori ...more
Tia
Aug 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Simplistic in message and delivery, but still useful information to remind you why meditation will benefit you—something you probably don’t need much convincing for if you’ve already picked up this book, but Simmons writes that his goal is to help you understand its benefits from as many different aspects as possible to push you to not just take the leap but to stick to it. It’s a bit repetitive, heavy on the personal anecdotes, and doesn’t actually spend more than a chapter talking about how to ...more
David
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
"When you let go of anxiety, you won’t want to ease into a better you. You’ll want to go there right away. Yes, the more you come to know your true self, the more you want to make that self better."

“The cultivation of friendliness creates inner strength.”

"When your mind is settled, the emotions that you have been ignoring, that you’re afraid that you aren’t ready to deal with, are going to rise up to the surface. Whether it’s emotions about your relationships, your job, your body, or anything yo
Dawn
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Success Through Stillness by Russell Simmons is basically a book about meditation. He takes you through five parts: 1.) Why Meditate; 2.) Why you think you cannot meditate; 3.) The physical benefits of meditation; 4.) Living up to your potential; and 5.) How to meditate. He also tries to show a connection between ‘worldly successful’ people and inner peace.

I think most people know that Russell Simmons has changed his life and is now all about yoga, meditation and promoting veganism (if that is
H FB
Dec 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't my first book on meditation but if it had been, I would have rated it higher.

I think it's great that Russel found a way to communicate with such a broad spectrum of people and had them understand the benefits of meditation.

The meditation chapter itself was very short but to the point.

I hope this book benefits many people who are new to meditation and mindfulness.
Monica White
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading this insightful book. What a great introduction to meditation! Russell's writing style is engaging, humorous at times, and informative. I learned a lot from reading this book, and I have already started to see impressive results from meditating. Thank you Russell for sharing your knowledge and experience on this topic.
Susan Allison-Dean
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy read on a simple way to improve your well being. I would have put the 'How to' early in the book. I was distracted by wanting to try Mr. Simmons way of meditating. It really does work, so give it a try, even if you skip to the end like I did.
Trelani Michelle
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. It's designed for those who are either wanting to meditate or new to the practice. Had I read this early on, it would've definitely convinced me to be more consistent. Plenty of solid info here.
Sheba Family
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the concept that Russell Simmons is trying to encourage. Following his prescribed twice daily 20 minute meditation, the world would be a better happier place. It has obviously really helped him in his life. Nothing he says is wrong to the best of my knowledge but rather true (why I gave 3 stars and not 2). He gives a thorough description of what aspects of your life are likely to improve with the practice including a few personal examples and studies here and there. What I didn't like is ...more
Beth Walker
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Russell Simmons writes in a very conversational, down-to-earth tone, which makes this book very easy to read. I enjoyed his simple analogies, and he is not shy using examples from his many famous friends. His instructions for meditation at the end are extremely simple, which makes the practice seem achievable. He is also very encouraging and upfront about the challenges and obstacles that might discourage people who are new to mediation.

I didn't award a full 5 stars mainly because some of the po
Nikki Punjabi
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book I've read on meditation. As on the cover it says MEDITATION MADE SIMPLE -- it does made simple for you if you are willing to start meditation. I did meditation two years back and after relocating to other place I stopped but as I wanted to get back on track, this book helped me to learn a lot on the basics of meditation. It charged me up and showed me a way to be a better version of myself.

I highly recommend to you for this book if you are reading this review and have came here th
Ankush Arora
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth a eead if you really want to meditate.

I was looking for a book that helps me meditate. At first when i saw table of contents. I was like .. what?? 18 chapters of blabbering about why we should meditate and then i will actually get to the part that i want to read.
But those 18 chapters are worth it. They cover each aspect of meditation in detail. Which is important when you really want to get hooked on meditation. I have been meditating for last 1 month and this book helped me why and how o
Drea
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. Reading this book was so therapeutic. It was like meditating with my eyes open. Very clear and thorough to follow. Russell has gotten me through the exact road blocks he covered in his writing. Really helped me understand the process better and I am ready to try again and master it. I could have finished this book in 1 day because it is short and straight to the point, but things got in the way. Definitely adding this book to my collection so I can always refer back to a lot of g ...more
Tony Creech
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it
A testimony on the benefits of secular meditation. Some points get pretty into selling meditation as a cure-all, but, I think his point of view comes from the hard truth that meditation is a powerful tool, an opportunity that can be used for much self direction, emotional IQ development, and self leading and perspective in life. It is a crazy powerful tool, but not a cure-all.
This book might be better if you’ve never studied meditation or heard much. I’d recommend the Headspace app or Waking Up
Adam Moskowitz
Great short book on the massive benefits of meditation, from a unique viewpoint, a rapper/gangster type turned yoga/vegan/meditator. Very nice read.

I understand that for beginners it isn't that easy to sit down, close your eyes, and settle into stillness. Your thoughts have gotten used to making SO MUCH NOISE! They have enjoyed too much influence over you to simply fade the first time you try.
-- Russell Simmons, Success Through Stillness
Billy
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-book
One of my favourite read in 2019 until now.
The book contains 90% of the purpose, the benefit, the essence of meditation.

Yet 10% of how to... Meditation is so profound to me in my life. My first exposure is in the year 2012.

After so many years, one additional of Mantra in my meditation gave me a new experience in the relaxation and calmness.

It has been 6 days into 20-min x 2 mediation daily. Feeling calmness every day.
Thanks Russell Simmons.
IamBeLewis
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Read ! I also had the privilege of hearing Russell speak on this book in person several years ago. It's sad that I'm just now getting to it considering that lecture sparked my interest in meditation. This book basically answers all questions you have about meditation, and I'd recommend it for any beginner meditator ! Thanks Uncle Rush for such a fantastic read ! I look forward to reading more from you !
D.I. Hills
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It was OK to pass the time. Didn’t get much out of the actual ‘how he meditates’ section. The rest of the book (90%) was kind of like a motivational pep talk about the benefits of meditation. I guess if you’re into listening to someone name drop a bunch of cool rappers names and by association think they too are cool then hey, you’ll connect more than I did.
Alejandro Cabral
Not what I expected

I really wished for the book to be more as I had the opportunity to meet the author in person and I loved his point of view on meditation. I guess I was hoping to like the book as much but there is just too much about him in it. Too much like a (disguised) autobiography.
Susan Reed
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Yes, I finished it.
It is an easy read, and fairly short, but the relevance is limited.
And the actual guide to meditation is held until the end. Even then it is pretty useless.
I'll read other meditation guidebooks, but this one is bland at best.
Nicole Anderson
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
90% of the book was telling me that I should meditate, not how to. I already knew some of the benefits, but it just kept going over the benefits. Then there was a lot of name dropping, making it feel like I should do it because these big names are. It almost made me less likely to try it.
Michael J. Polk
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very useful

I've heard Russell Simmons on a few podcasts so I was interested in this book. I really enjoyed it and found it useful. His app is useful too but read the reviews before you download it.
Dany Le Goaix
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nothing new here but I liked the simplicity and shortness of the message. This booked kick started me into daily mediation using his app 3 weeks ago and I'm feeling the positive difference mentally.
Mike OwlLove
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
didnt really give much guidance about meditation.
Spoke a lot about the importance of it but I think he should have covered the different ways of doing it.
Maybe even a day 1, day 2, day 3 type of thing.
I dont know I was expecting a bit more from it, I guess.
Shabbir
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Exactly as the title says: Meditation couldn't get any more simpler.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Manifesting Change: It Couldn't Be Easier
  • Beyond Birds and Bees: Bringing Home a New Message to Our Kids About Sex, Love, and Equality
  • The Mindful Way Through Anxiety: Break Free from Chronic Worry and Reclaim Your Life
  • Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • Work: How to Find Joy and Meaning in Each Hour of the Day
  • Learn to Meditate: A Practical Guide to Self-Discovery and Fulfillment
  • The Power of Your Spirit: A Guide to Joyful Living
  • E-Cubed: Nine More Energy Experiments That Prove Manifesting Magic and Miracles Is Your Full-Time Gig
  • My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy
  • Follow Your Passion, Find Your Power: Everything You Need to Know about the Law of Attraction
  • Angels: How to See, Hear and Feel Your Angels
  • It Ain't Over . . . Till It's Over: Reinventing Your Life--and Realizing Your Dreams--Anytime, at Any Age
  • Depression and Your Child: A Guide for Parents and Caregivers
  • The Wisdom We're Born With: Restoring Our Faith in Ourselves
  • Knee Deep in Paradise
  • People Tools for Business
  • Writings of Florence Scovel Shinn
Russell Simmons is an American entrepreneur and record producer. Simmons was the former owner of the pioneering hip-hop label Def Jam, a founder of Russell Simmons Music Group, and the creator of the clothing fashion line Phat Farm and the fragrance label Atman.

Russell Simmons is the fourth richest hip hop entrepreneur, having a net-worth estimate of $340 million, behind Jay-Z ($547M), 50 Cent ($4
“To separate yourself from your weakness and look at it objectively is a very powerful thing.” 3 likes
“when you embrace the process of your work, instead of focusing on the results, you’ll always be happier, plus do a much better job.” 3 likes