Start by marking “Black Towers to Danger” as Want to Read:

Black Towers to Danger

Riveting tale of impossible odds. In the steamy jungles of Venezuela, oil driller Murphy finds himself the unwitting victim of a vicious plot to steal his land. Murder and double-dealing unfold when Murphy discovers that the woman he loves is in on the scheme, and he’s forced to go head to head with an oil company that won’t tolerate competition.

2013 Galaxy Press (P)2013
Audio CD, Unabridged Retail Edition, 2 pages
Published October 21st 2013 by Galaxy Audio

To ask other readers questions about Black Towers to Danger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Towers to Danger

Start your review of Black Towers to Danger
Erika Schoeps
Nov 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Disclaimer: I won this audio book free in a Goodreads FirstReads giveaway.

This reviewer tried her hand at a little bit of pulp. 1 star. Needless to say, I did not enjoy myself.

I'm not really sure who really enjoys this stuff, but it wasn't me. The narrator and other voice actors were grating and over dramatic, and the material itself was no good. A ton of action and description, and NO character development. I know that Bill was supposed to be heroic, but he just came off as cheesy and fake.

I
Printable Tire
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Unlike some people I know, Scientology doesn't really interest me too much. L. Ron Hubbard, however, does interest me, as a science fiction fan and writer. I find his transcendence from a hack writer of a thousand pulps to messiah of an imposing religion pretty amazing, and no matter what you might think of him, his life story is a pretty impressive example of the American dream (or NIGHTMARE!!!).

Galaxy Press has been publishing Hubbard's pulp stories for a while now, and I've become a big fan
Steven Brandt
Nov 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The Venezuelan government has decreed that all oil wells must produce, or be shut down. That gives Texas oilman Bill Murphy exactly 30 days to get his rigs in the area pumping oil. To complicate matters, one of Murphy’s chief competitors is murdered, and Murphy is falsely accused of the crime. Captured by the local police, who reek of cheap cigars and corruption alike, Murphy will have to scramble to clear his name and get oil wells pumping. Oh, and did I mention that the murdered man’s daughter ...more
Chris
Nov 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I won a free copy of this audiobook through a GoodReads First Reads giveaway. Thanks also to the publisher (Galaxy Press) for providing this copy.

Another fun pulp-era story from L. Ron Hubbard. This is the third of these that I've read over the last year, and the second one on audio. I'd have to say that this was my favorite of the three. This has a western feel, though the setting is actually in Venezuela, where rival oil drillers are competing.

Guns and great escapes and brawls and a feisty
Craig
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this audio book in a Goodreads Firstreads giveaway. It's a typical pulp adventure short novel, this time set in Venezuelan oil fields. There are a few somewhat racist attitudes, also typical of the era in which it was written, but the story itself is most enjoyable. I like the audio format very much; the sound effects and narration are quite good, as is the young lady who performs the part of the love-interest, but the main character is given something of a weird country ...more
James
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm sorry, but some of the characters in this one bugged me.
Tom Donaghey
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action-adventure
Forget the L. Ron Hubbard of Dianetics and Scientology and go back to the beginning, back to a time before the internet, before television, to a time of radio and Friday night movies and kid’s matinees on Saturday afternoon, back to a time of pulp fiction. Go back and rediscover the writing of Mr. Hubbard, a man who could churn out pages with seemingly no effort, construct fast paced, action packed tales of bold adventure regardless of the genre involved. Be it pirates of the sky or the sea, ...more
Scott Haraburda
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Goodreads First Reads Giveaway Book.

------------------------------------

An exciting action adventure story. This audiobook, Black Towers to Danger , is a story about oilman, set deep in South America. In the country of Venezuela, during a time in which the law was based upon the rules of the man with the gun. This story contained murder, corrupt police, and a beautiful girl. This author is known for applying opposing extremes in his adventure stories, in this story from an assassin trying to
Neil McCrea
I received the audiobook edition of Black Towers to Danger from first-reads. I've been enjoying these reissues of Hubbard's old pulp yarns. They are nothing but plot, and mostly action at that. The characters are all stock without a whiff of anything resembling an interior life, much less development over the course of the novel. However, as long as the central conceit is strong enough, it can still be a hoot to watch them go through their paces.

Black Towers takes place in the cutthroat world of
Marla
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a copy from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for an honest review.
WOW! I have read some of Hubbard's sci-fi and was pleasantly surprised to learn that he wrote MANY books in other genres. I have a passing interest in the pulp and noir genres and this book had definately resparked my interest! The narration was just fabulous and added to the feeling of being drawn into the world within the book. A diffrerent kind of hero from a different time, the swaggering cigar chomping, hard
Bruce Deming
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's a nice twist to give a damn and Bill Murphy does gutting out this adventure tale to the end to unravel the lies and overcome obstacles to hopefully regain his reputation and capture the heart of Marcia Stewart.

The odds look all against him in the beginning, but he continues to think and act his way through.

This one is set in Venezuela, much further south than the good old south of Gone With The Wind.

Great sound effects with horses, guns, oil wells pumping and flames blazing, this is an
Benjamin
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read
I received this by way of winning it on first reads contest. it was quick and in a weird way entertaining. It does not have much depth to it so don't think that it should be some grand story that has to be great and needs to be put on a peddle-stool, it should not, just two hour to day dream about something random. it set in what seems to be early nineteenth century and has a male view for a storyline.
Kelly
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this free from goodreads.

This was my first experience reading pulp fiction and luckily I received the book on CD which enhanced the experience and made the story so much more real. The sound affects added to both the intense scenes as well as the more sentimental ones. The narrator and character voices were perfect and I got really into the book, finishing it in one sitting. I will definitely be reading more pulp fiction and am glad I started with L. Ron Hubbard.
Jason Lewis
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-won
Listened to the book as I drove on a trip down south. It gives a better and easier way to follow the story than most others I have listened to in that the characters are voiced very differently versus the same monotone reader attempting to remember the voices they are imitating of several characters. Helped to keep up with where everyone was with the amount of different people involved in the story.
Ed Possing
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed listening to this audio book. It fit perfectly into my 2-hour road trip. Hubbard treats us to two-fisted machine gun blasting action as well as a compelling mystery. A great way to pass the time on the road.

This is an audio book that I won from Galaxy Press in a giveaway in exchange for a free and honest evaluation.
Yaritza
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Won this audio book from LibraryThing. I enjoyed the plot of a drilling oil business and the misunderstanding that Bill killed the father of the girl he was in love with. I loved this audio book because you feel like your in the book fighting for your life and trying to prove people wrong. Loved that it ended with a happily ever after. I recommend this audio book.
David Macpherson
Jan 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Slightly racist, kind of sexist. Lot of fun. This is an old pulp tale about a tough as nails oil man in the Venezuelan Oil Fields. He loves the woman who is running the competing oil rig. He is framed for murder. He does manly things. L Ron Hubbard wrote very strong action scenes, taut and understandable. It was a good time.
Marlin
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
By: L Ron Hubbard
Black Towers to Danger does in truth bring back the Golden age of Radio, it brings back many fond memories of listening to a good story unwind as you picture you self there as only your mind can do it. If you are a fan of the old radio story hours you will like the story.
Irene Bañuelos
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways, 2013
I received this book free for review. I liked the second half much more than the first. In the beginning I thought there were too many characters for such a short story but by the end I found they all had their own appeal.
Fredrick Danysh
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Bill Murphy is drilling for oil in Venezuela. His former girlfriend accuses him of murdering her father in order to take over his oil lease. Murphy has to finfd the real killer to clear his name and reclaim the girl. Its real pulp fiction sappy. Free from www.goodreads.com.
Abc
Nov 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
I won this book in a giveaway. Thank you.
YYY
Nov 28, 2013 marked it as to-read
Thank you First Reads for winning this free book. I will read and review soon.
Stephen
Shelves: giveaways
I won this CD on Goodreads!
Excellent noir! Like listening to a 1940's radio play. Very good fun.
Joe Reto
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Received this book via audio addition. Despite listening to the story several times I did not like the way it was presented. Possibly the story would be better in written form.
Vincent Carmichael
May 30, 2014
Frank
rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2014
Jessica Arce
Nov 26, 2013
Bon Son
rated it did not like it
Aug 22, 2013
Gil T.
Oct 01, 2013
Lisa
Nov 28, 2013
Lafayette Ronald Hubbard was an American author of science fiction and fantasy stories, and the founder of the Church of Scientology. In 1950, Hubbard authored Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health and established a series of organizations to promote Dianetics. In 1952, Hubbard lost the rights to Dianetics in bankruptcy proceedings, and he subsequently founded Scientology. Thereafter ...more