Start by marking “Easy Go” as Want to Read:
Easy Go

Easy Go

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  949 Ratings  ·  124 Reviews
A thriller about an Egyptologist’s greatest find—and his quest to steal it—from the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of Jurassic Park and The Andromeda Strain.

Brilliant Egyptologist Harold Barnaby has discovered a message hidden inside a particularly difficult set of hieroglyphics. It just may lead him to a secret tomb holding the greatest riches of the ancient world.
Published July 23rd 2013 by Open Road Media Mystery Thriller (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Easy Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy Go

Bob Milne
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology
Before abandoning the practice with The Terminal Man in 1972, Michael Crichton actually published 10 of his first 11 titles under pseudonyms such as John Lange and Jeffery Hudson. The Andromeda Strain was the notable exception. While 2 of those titles were eventually republished under his own name, the rest were abandoned to the dusty shelves of used bookstores around the world, becoming collectibles for those who knew what to look for.

Easy Go, his third John Lange title, is one I came across a
Roger
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently realized I have read every work of fiction Michael Crichton published under his own name. This has been a goal of mine for a long time-I really had not realized I had done it, however, and now I am strangely depressed. There is still a little more Crichton to go-the author wrote eight novels under the pen name John Lange, and I still have three of those to track down. Speaking of which-Easy Go is a reasonably thrilling heist novel. I am not a big fan of this kind of book but these are ...more
Kaleb Underwood
I have been a longtime fan of Michael Crichton and was excited to discover that he had written under a pseudonym early in his career. I had to see what "John Lange" was all about.

This was one of Crichton's earliest novels, and possibly his first according to at least one source I found, originally written when he was in medical school. His youth as a writer is evident, as the characters are underdeveloped, archetypal, and "larger-than-life" in their portrayal. However, they are all very likable
Trevor S
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been waiting years and years and years to get a chance to read Michael Crichtons John Lange books, thank you Hard Case Crime for getting them out there!
Easy Go was actually a better read then I was expecting, a fast and exciting book it really feels like a good draft of what would have been a great Crichton.
Leah
Apr 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
This was such a simple, straightforward book that the ridiculously soft ending should have surprised me less, but it didn't. This is such a cosy-mystery, don't-offend-the-sensitive-readers, everyone-gets-a-nonviolent-slaponthewrist-comeuppance ending that I wanted to vomit. I guess pseudonymous pulp writers of the 60s and 70s weren't in it for the grit? It's like the Hays Code for books, and it is really unsatisfying.

Anyway, the setup is a classic adventure plot: Someone Discovers Something Asto
Amy Rogers
ScienceThrillers.com review: Easy Go is a new ebook release of a thriller written in 1968 by the late great Michael Crichton under the pseudonym John Lange. Easy Go is part of a series of ten ebook releases billed as “the Med School Years” written by Crichton under the Lange name as well as the names Jeffrey Hudson and Michael Douglas.

People often speak of an author’s “first book.” Usually they mean the first book written by the author that became well-known, more appropriately called the author
Josh
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pulp / Egypt interest
An unlikely band of acquaintances come together to score big off of tomb robbing. An archaeologist, a wealthy Englishman, a writer and a couple of hired muscle men along with the beautiful personal secretary to the Englishman head to the heat of Egypt under the guise of translating hieroglyphics. By night, they search for an elusive tomb thought to contain wealth beyond their means.

Easy Go is an easy read. You wont find a lot of facts about Egypt and the hidden treasures that abound but you will
Lammoth
Съвсем спокойно може да наречем Майкъл Крайтън "баща на технотрилърите", тъй като именно той постави основите и направи популярен този жанр. Крайтън умееше чудесно да вмества фактологически и технически детайли в неговите романи, които по-късно имат сериозно влияние върху работите на популярни автори като Дан Браун, Дъглас Престън и Лий Чайлд, Филип Кер, Джеймс Ролинс, Матю Райли и т.н.

"Пясък през пръстите" е един от първите романи на Крайтън и е далеч от понятието технотрилър, а по-скоро е прик
Bill Telfer
Pretty good "pulpy fun" from the creator of Jurassic Park, etc., back before fame when he was earning a few cents a word writing for the smaller publiushers under the name "John Lange." The strong parts of this book -- and I would recommend it -- are its characters and setting, all of which spring forth effortlessly from a mind that is clearly adept at telling stories.
Alex
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First reaction: Fun read with a rather abrupt ending, though not necessarily unsatisfactory.

After letting my mind digest what I had read for a bit, I've decided that overall I liked EASY GO. Not because of a highly intricate plot or even well-developed characters (though these factors generally influence my reviews of books), but because it provided my most basic need when reading any book: it captured my attention enough to keep me wanting to read more.

Reading some other reviews of EASY GO, it'
Bames
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I was surprised to spot this book in NetGalley. Michael Crichton is one of my favorite authors and I have read most of his books (at least those I managed to get my hands on). Easy Go is one of his earlier works and he uses a pseudonym -- John Lange. It is a very exciting story of an Egyptologist, Harold Barnaby who specializes in translating hieroglyphics.

During a stint in Egypt to work on translating receipts and other records -- meaning it was mundane work -- Barnaby came across a document w
Conner
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy Go is a real masterpiece from the lost archives of Michael Crichton. The story is written in the classic Chrichton style with adventure, romance, and a bit of knowledge on Egyptian history.

Crichton takes the reader on an adventure through the valley of the kings, to an undiscovered tomb with a treasure estimated in the millions of dollars.

Like all Chrichton literature, the story is filled with facts and details from a particular subject. In this case, the subject is Egypt and The Valley o
Colin Barnes
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you go into this book with the mindset of it being a dime novel adventure tale then you won't be disappointed. It's an entirely different beast to Crichton's technothrillers but I'm glad of that. This is pure, old-school adventure. It rattles along at a fast pace with old timey characters doing daring things. Set mostly in Egypt, it's all about a tomb heist. To say more than that will spoil it, but if you're looking for a quick read that's fun and utterly enjoyable, this is a good one to try ...more
Oliver Clarke
This was kind of fun, and rattled along at a good pace, but I ended up not really knowing what the hell was going on. Possibly worth 2 stars rather than 3 but Egypt, heist, etc
Mike
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Easy Go" is another of the "John Lange" pen name novels written by Michael Crichton (and unearthed by the folks at Hard Case Crime). This is another "caper/heist" thriller (like "Odds On," which I reviewed as well). But the twist here is that the robbery is of the last untouched tomb of a pharaoh in Egypt. And the heist has to be carried out over the course of months, under the noses of some watchful Egyptian officials.

If you are intrigued by the idea of what it takes to find a lost tomb, this
Judy
This is a book written by Michael Crichton under a pseudonym while attending medical school. The plot revolves around the search (with intent to steal and hold for ransom) for the last undiscovered pharaoh's tomb. The originator of the plot is a heretofore respectable archaeologist specializing in reading hieroglyphs. When he discovers the description of the burial of a pharaoh whose tomb has not yet been found, he begins to think about looking for it, and assembles a team including a wealthy ma ...more
Megan Straw
Mar 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Many of the reviews on here rate this highly, as it is Baby Crichton, after all. HOWEVER, it's still a massively disappointing bait and switch.

A heist in Egypt rife with shifty thieves, cobras, and hidden treasure?? It SHOULD be the recipe for an outstanding, campy yarn.

SPOILERS.

You're not going to get that. NOBODY dies, is cursed, swindled, outplayed, or even inconvenienced. It's a lackluster story with an ending that peters out in the most basic of happily ever afters.

The characters are not f
it'chy
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: soft
quite the surprise

quite a lot of typos, too;
eh, open road?

p99: he dug a hole two and a half feet deep, and found he could not go on; his muscles ached from working in such an awkward position, his back pressed to the rock, unable to really bend i over.

p113: "...this is the only tomb in all egypt which has ever been found intact, never subjected to robbers."

p170: lili castellani was a french-italian countess who had been the toast of prewar london; the most elegant woman, the most sophisticated h
Cheryl
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did like this book from Mr. Lange. While, it was not the greatest; it was still better than some of the prior novels. This one did have the Indiana Jones vibe that I was digging. The book is split out into different parts within the storyline. Each part building on the next.

While, I did like the storyline and the location; the characters were a bit dull. They were not charismatic like Indiana Jones. In fact, I kind of forgot what they looked like and their names. Although, what is lacking in t
Krystle
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Treasure Hunting! Secrets and Suspense oh my! This story was hard to put down. I loved reading about ancient Egypt and the hieroglyphs while in grade school and this tale really brought that interest back. I love how the story has several amazing plots and twists. Needless to say that this does make me wonder if all the tombs of Egypt have been uncovered. For the sake of future curiosity, I hope not. Otherwise tales like these would be far less exciting.
Nancy
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy Go, easy went. If a book doesn't draw me the people in it, then I want it to wow me with action or something unusual. This was a well-written book that told its story to completion. However in my crawl through the evolution of Michael Crichton, you can see his love for archaeology and adventure here. He is moving away from straight science and the medical field.
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do quattro stelline e non cinque soltanto perché mi aspettavo più azione e più intrighi, mentre tutto sommato la trama si svolge in maniera tranquilla, proprio come il finale.
Ciononostante, adoro lo stile e la cultura posseduti dall'autore, per cui non potrei mai dargli meno di quattro stelline. Con i suoi libri non ci si annoia mai e si impara sempre qualcosa di nuovo.
Carolyn
May 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this to study adventure plot elements, but found it a weak example.

It seems mostly a way for Lange/Crichton to spend some time sharing (now) fairly well-known Egyptian lore, and to indulge in a gentle tomb-finding fantasy.

Feel free to read it as a bedtime story, it's a low-adrenaline project with more logistical issues than danger.

Jim N
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crichton would go on to write more interesting, compelling novels but this simple caper tale from 1966 is an entertaining way to pass an afternoon or two. It's a straightforward, well-paced adventure with fun characters and a few genuinely memorable moments. The audiobook is well read by Christopher Lane.
Kris Frankenberry
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good heist yarn. Those interested in the history of ancient Egypt should be especially drawn to it. It is hard to believe the Michael Crichton wrote these John Lange books when he was a very young man. You would think the author was an older, more worldly individual.
Dana Williams
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved his work. Holds my interest and developes the story in a creative way. Great mix of characters. Always odd plot twist with inventive endings. I am very happy Goodreads have discovered these earlier works of his.
Edward Smith
Entertaining read with a totally unexpected yet satisfying ending,

John Lange is the pulp persona of Michael Chrichton. While i enjoyed this book I thought his "Zero Cool" and "Grave Descend" are better reads.
Noel
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, thriller
A decent straight caper story with more dusty history background than actual thrills. Not usually a problem since this is a Chrichton jam, but one could wish for a few more bits of suspense and/or action.
Philip Prescott
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Crichton

Overall the book was engaging. The flow of the story was nice though it delves greatly into history and fact.

I enjoyed the book, but agree with another review I read previously: fun but forgettable.

The ending was curious.
Kori
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that I learned that Michael Crichton wrote as John Lange. It is a bit campy and fun.
Explain the end.. 1 7 Jul 16, 2014 12:57PM
Thought Crichton was dead? 11 46 Mar 24, 2014 12:15PM
  • Dealing, or The Berkeley-To-Boston Forty-Brick Lost-Bag Blues
  • Easy Death (Hard Case Crime #117)
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • Thieves Fall Out (Hard Case Crime)
  • Web of the City
  • The Corpse Wore Pasties (Hard Case Crime, #62)
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • Getting Off
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • Bust (Max & Angela #1)
  • Plunder of the Sun (Al Colby #2)
  • The Christmas Wassail (Roger the Chapman #22)
  • The Confession
  • Brainquake (Hard Case Crime #116)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Murder is My Business (Hard Case Crime #66)
  • The Gutter and the Grave (Hard Case Crime #15)
  • Witness to Myself (Hard Case Crime #19)
John Lange is a pseudonym of author Michael Crichton. His pen name was selected as reference to his above-average height of 6' 9"(2.06 meters). Lange means "tall one" in German, Danish and Dutch.
More about John Lange

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“all religions are confusing," nikos said. "that's how the priests stay in business.” 0 likes