Start by marking “The Fly” as Want to Read:
The Fly

The Fly

(Les petits dégoûtants)

The first in a series of humorous books about disgusting creatures, The Fly is a look at the common housefly. It covers such topics as the hair on the fly's body (requires a lot of shaving), its ability to walk on the ceiling (it's pretty cool, but it's hard to play soccer up there), and its really disgusting food tastes (garbage juice soup followed by dirty diaper with ro ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Tundra Books (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Fly, please sign up.
Kate This is a review site. If you want to read the book a few options include: purchasing it at Amazon.com, borrowing it from your local library, or steal…moreThis is a review site. If you want to read the book a few options include: purchasing it at Amazon.com, borrowing it from your local library, or stealing it from a friend.(less)

Start your review of The Fly
Elyza
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
What an adorable book! I never thought I'd find a fly adorable but the cute illustrations in the book really sold me on it! The Fly was a very fun informative book, and I think children will enjoy reading it. I'm an adult and I quite enjoyed it! I can't wait to see what the other Disgusting Critters books will be like. ...more
pati
While humorous, the facts and fun don't confuse the underlying meaning of what flies are! YAY ...more
Tasha
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The first and second books in the new Disgusting Critters series of nonfiction picture books, these books take a humorous look at the biology of a specific creature. The first book deals with flies, specifically the common house fly. Inside are all sorts of interesting facts like the fly being covered in hair and information on eggs and maggots. More disgusting aspects are played up, which should appeal to young children, like the diet of flies and how germ filled they are and why. The second bo ...more
Andrea
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
All my kids thought this book was really funny. Not the most factual, but definitely fun to read and appreciate these little creatures.
Amy
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another buddy read with my little one
Lori
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, non-fiction
Fun and factual. Silly and serious. What more could a kid (or grownup) want from their nonfiction.
A great series that I would want to add to my classroom library.
Madison
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book is a wonderfully written and illustrated graphic novel. The book is about a fly who tells all the facts there is to know about flies. The book provides kid friendly accurate facts about flies. The book tells the facts in a humorous way. The illustrations look like cartoons which is very enjoyable and appealing to the eye. This book would be great for young readers who don’t really like reading text heavy chapter books. This book would be a great way to help young readers want to read m ...more
Laura Salas
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun, engaging information! Even though the retro art and speech bubbles have a fiction feel, this book is full of interesting fly facts, too. I learned several new facts about flies, like that they have little bubbles of liquid on their feet that help them walk on walls and ceilings. Eeeuwww. Occasionally, the humor felt a little too forced to me, but usually it worked really well. After describing how a housefly spits digestive fluid on his food to soften it, we see a dinner scene:

Jonathan! Did
Lynn
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Fiction or non-fiction? Informational text combined with humor, part of the "Disgusting Critters" series. A mother fly, who can see in all directions, sees her son trying to snitch a "Doggie Doo" snack behind her back.
Illustrations rather than photos set on pale olive-green pages, the book is small, about 5"x8". Speech bubbles show the humor, and variety of font, set in black, or red or other colors provide the facts.
I think these would be fun to read and learn info in a fun way.
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a charming beginning to the 'Disgusting Critters' series. This illustrated book is packed with facts and gross information about flies. The sort of retro feel to the illustrations are a great pairing for what are some truly yucky bits of information such as "he spits or vomits a bit of digestive fluid on his meal to soften it." Recommended for 1st - 3rd grade readers, this book is both appropriate for report writing and fun, information reading. ...more
Carrie Gelson
I've said it once or twice this week at least. But I will say it again - pretty certain that this Disgusting Critters series is going to cause a nonfiction commotion in my classroom this fall. Nonfiction facts housed in a "fiction like" reader. Hilarious and amusing along with informative. Flies are irksome. Read this and find them a little bit charming. ...more
Kathy
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Great book for beginning readers with some factual information for the non fiction common core emphasis. The fly, a disgusting critter, is the first in a series.
The ick factor and the illustrations delighted my four year old granddaughter. Teachers and librarians will latch on to this series.
Pam  Page
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first in the non-fiction critters series. While the book looks like a simple book about flies there is a good amount of information presented. Children will love the gross and disgusting facts (I did not!) and will look forward to more in this series.
Earl
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A disgusting yet delightful discovery, Elise Gravel's Disgusting Critters series introduces beginning readers to facts regarding certain familiar creatures. The humor and illustrations will appeal to kids and will want them to read more. Addicting for adults as well! ...more
melydia
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
A little kids' book about the common housefly. Some of the little asides are amusing, and there are a couple facts, but mostly it's little cartoon drawings about how flies like garbage. Over all, it struck me as the sort of book you'd buy for your roommate's nephew. ...more
Sherrie
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun look at at the pesky housefly! This a great way for kids to learn about one of the most annoying and disgusting household pests. I loved the illustrations and the comical content and will definitely be checking out the other books in the series.
Debra McEathron
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story that discusses what flies are and what they eat. It is written in a cute but informational way. It is on a second grade reading level and has some higher vocabulary in the text.
Jen
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfic, 2014-science
non fiction presented as fiction. charming illustrations, that would need to be accompanied with real photos of flies if this were for a report or something.
Robin
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gravel is one of my favorite illustrators, and her playful and informative Disgusting Critters series is a delightful way to introduce kids to basic biology.
Rebecca Plaza
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nf-science
Early reader with a good model for sharing facts about a creature we know well but don't really like.
Buy it for the info and jokes.
Michele Knott
Part of the disgusting critters series.
Gives basic information about the common housefly in a way that will attract young students to read and look at the humorous pictures.
Rebecca
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun & funny nonfiction book that we read for the Preschool Little Scientists Club we're running this summer. ...more
Clare  Landrigan
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This hybrid text is laugh-out-loud hysterical. We love the way Elise Gravel gives factual information about flies while also having “the fly character” tell jokes.
Kelly
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a hilarious representation of the insect known as the FLY. This book cleverly presents a ton of FLY facts in a very funny, yet accessible way. Excellent series for younger readers.
Nicole
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
See The Worm review. This would be a great NF companion to Diary of a Fly.
Taryn
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was too cute and also fascinating!
Kerrikoala
Feb 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
My favorite page was the one comparing male to female flies.
Michelle
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Still funny and great information.
Candace Hudson
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very cute informational text about flies.
Ellen
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
My child was in hysterics reading this book. He was upset when he reached the last page. It is definitely silly but just the perfect amount… and informative!

• The Enemy: A Book About Peace
  • Marvin Wanted More!
  • Goodnight Already!
  • Giraffe Problems
  • The Rabbit Listened
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late!
  • My Teacher Is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.)
  • How To Be A Lion
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • I Talk Like a River
  • The Duckling Gets a Cookie!? (Pigeon series)
  • Chester's Back!
  • آقای باكلاه و آقای بی‌كلاه = Mr. Smeds and Mr. Spats
  • فیل کوچولو کجا خوابیدی؟
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • A Giraffe and a Half
  • Dear Girl,: A Celebration of Wonderful, Smart, Beautiful You!
See top shelves…

Les petits dégoûtants (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Worm
  • The Spider
  • The Rat
  • The Slug
  • Head Lice
  • The Toad
  • The Bat
  • The Cockroach
  • Le mille-pattes (Les petits dégoûtants t. 11)
  • The Mosquito