Start by marking “The Voice Inside My Head” as Want to Read:
The Voice Inside My Head

The Voice Inside My Head

Seventeen-year-old Luke's older sister, Pat, has always been his moral compass, like a voice inside his head, every time he has a decision to make. So when Pat disappears on a tiny island off the coast of Honduras and the authorities claim she's drowned - despite the fact that they can't produce a body - Luke heads to Honduras to find her because he knows something the aut ...more
Published March 11th 2014 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about The Voice Inside My Head, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Voice Inside My Head

Jayden Stygar
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book The Voice Inside My Head by S. J.Laidlaw is mystery, also it is not part of a series. The book is about a boy named Luke, he is seventeen years old. He always listened to Pat his elder sister. Then Pat goes missing on a island off the coast of Honduras. He started to hear Pat’s voice in his head. Her voice leads to Utila where she went to a summer internship to study whale sharks. Her voice makes look think that they have not got the story right. what will happen next? I gave this book ...more
TheMythBookshelf
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
S.J.Laidlaw sweeps us off our feet with a read so satisfying that even those who do not actively read young adult fiction (like myself) can't complain. Set in Utila, a small, actual island off the coast of Honduras, it follows the adventure of seventeen-year old Luke as he promises his parents to find his older sister Patrica, or at least obtain closure concerning her disappearance when summer interning there. Luke's continuous rejection of the official police reports leads him to the island wh ...more
Librarysteph
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
S.J. Laidlaw’s The Voice Inside My Head is a mystery that’s packed full of emotions. The novel has adventure, comedy, and a deep sadness.

Luke’s quest to find his missing sister results in him getting to know her better than ever. He sees what she would have been like if she wasn’t burdened with all the responsibilities of caring for him and his parents. His love for her, and unwillingness to give up on finding what happened to her drives the reader to NEED to know too. You can’t put the book dow
Jennie Machines
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was also a random pick from the shelf. I usually don't go for mysteries, but something about this cover and the starfish on the side made me decide to pick it up.

It is the story of how Luke travels to a small island to find his sister who went missing from her dream "Save the Sea Creatures" internship. Between his drug and alcohol tirades, he tries to dig up the clues to find Pat or "Tricia" as her new friends call her.

This was a good mystery that kept me wondering what new insight wa
Jessica
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A compelling read! I wasn't able to put it down! This story follows Luke, a very relatable character, on his quest to discover the truth of his sister's disappearance while working at a marine station on a Caribbean island. S.J. Laidlaw has an unerring ability to project herself into the adolescent mindset while spinning a compelling mystery story. As Luke attempts to resolve the mystery of his sister's disappearance, he is inexorably drawn into an atmosphere of obsession and eventual revelation ...more
Erin Furness-wilkins
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book - in fact - I had a hard time putting it down! The writing was great - very descriptive - I just wanted to know what was going to happen next.
Teen fiction but who cares - this adult loved it!
Lydia
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The book “The Voice Inside My Head”, by S.J. Laidlaw is an intriguing mystery about a young girl, Pat’s, disappearance. The story takes place on a small island off the coast of Honduras. When Luke hears the news of his sister’s disappearance and the peculiar facts connected to it, he decides to investigate it on his own. The police on the island have too few resources and time to investigate the case fully. The people he meets there are all so helpful, but can he really trust them?
The author, S
Aria Serino
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite book ever. It was an interesting idea for a book but I don't think that it worked. I personally would not recommend because I was very bored and it was hard to continue reading
Sue Evans
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this YA novel for a program and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. More like a 3.5. It definitely kept my interest
Megan Ogden
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another unexpected book choice for myself! I started this book last Spring but only made it about twenty pages in. I thought I would give it another whirl in order to show my students that it's okay to put down a book and try it again later! I do not tend to lean towards mystery-esque novels, but much to my surprise, I dove straight into this one and plowed through it.

Luke, who is the main character of The Voice Inside My Head, buys a ticket to Honduras to search for his missing sister. Pat has
Shannon Sunderland
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read The Voices Inside My Head by S.J Laidlaw because it looked like a very catchy book due to the amazing cover with the crying girl, creating a huge body of water, and the blurb mentioning that it was a brother looking for his missing sister, immediately made me want to know what had happened. I love books with mystery, sadness, and romance. This book was a great read because it was very suspenseful; it made me not want to put it down because something exciting was constantly happening. Alth ...more
Barbara
Mercedes Shepherd
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was pretty touching, especially how everything resolved in the end. The sibling relationship between Luke and Pat was interesting and how they could talk to each other and how it was added into the book was a neat addition. Things could've been resolved faster if Pat just told Luke everything that happened instead of him chasing the mystery in confusion, maybe he wouldn't have spent all the time in the swamp and with the "crazy lady." That seemed like a flaw, but I guess the point is t ...more
Ariel Caldwell
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked this one up because one of my colleagues argued that it should be on our Top Picks for Teens list. I agree with the jacket copy: "a unique mystery with a shocking and unexpected conclusion." Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but so's the book. I liked it that our hero goes on a quest to find his missing sister, despite the 'rents having already tried, and that he meets the quirky characters that made up his sister's life before she went missing. I love it that she's a voice in his head, a ch ...more
Minjee Kong
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excited to read a Giveaway book, I dove right into S.J. Laidlaw's page turner "The Voice Inside My Head." This book keeps you on the edge of your seat as Luke heads to Utila to find his missing sister who he still believes to be alive. With the voice of his sister Patricia in his head, Luke goes on a search for his sister, coming to the realization that he and his sister had a lot more in common than he thought. "The Voice Inside My Head" is a great book for young adults who enjoy unexpected plo ...more
Lo
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: scuba-diving
This was an interesting read, a quick little teen murder mystery. I wasn't sure if it was going to take me in the direction of voodoo and magic or just stay in the real world.

The book reminded me a lot of The Boy Who Couldn't Diein the premise - teenage boy with little parental supervision travels to small island full of islanders possibly practicing magic and scuba divers, overcomes major fear, and grows as a person.
Marilyn
May 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 9th grade and up
17 year old Luke's older sister has disappeared off a small Honduran island so he decides to go there to investigate what really happened. The police have closed the case saying it's suicide by drowning but Luke knows that's not right, especially because Pat's voice keeps telling him differently. A pretty good mystery for teens although there's a lot of language, drug use, underage drinking and talk of sex.
Ruth
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
“The Voice Inside My Head” wasn’t bad at all. It wasn’t overly outstanding or underwhelming, rather it was pretty average. The answer to the mystery wasn’t obvious, and left you guessing throughout the story. Luke’s conversations with Pat really made things interesting, and I enjoyed that part of the book.
Amy Mathers
This is one of the books I used for fictional Young Carer profiles, and it's especially good because it's the story of not one but two Young Carers. You can read their profiles here:
Luke: http://www.youngcarersproject.ca/luke...
Patricia: http://www.youngcarersproject.ca/patr...
Rachel Seigel
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
A really well-crafted mystery that had me wondering and guessing until the end. I really liked the voice of the MC & the way the story resolves. A bit too mature for elementary school, but an easy grade 9-10 read.
Steve
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Join Luke as he investigates his sister's disappearance. Set on the Honduran island of Utila, S.J. Laidlaw's writing will make you feel like you have been transported to the island yourself.

The Voice Inside My Head is a real page-turner, and a great example of YA fiction done right.

Courtney
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
While a bit predictable, this was still a really great read. I don't seem to find many YA that interest me from a male perspective, but this one was certainly an exception. Strongly written, very emotional - I enjoyed it and actually read the whole thing in one sitting.
Siham
Apr 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Seemed intriguing at first, but fell flat at the end. Overall, was good though. 2.5 stars rounded off to three.
Ena Weverink
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Maybe 2.5 stars. It's an okay book for teens but too many "yeah, right" moments.
Karen Harrell
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
A seventeen year old's perspective was a little different than my recent reads, but it had some good elements. The adventure was a little over the top, kinda Indiana Jones.
Christina Farley
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another intriguing and fascinating book from Laidlaw. I love how she keeps me guessing all the way through the book while teaching me about new cultures and new perspectives.
Jennifer Shanahan
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story, a little different from what I am normally reading. Less romance, more intrigue. I really liked it because it was a change--interesting story and a surprise ending.
Antara
It was okayish. I didn't really connect with the characters, neither the sister nor the brother.
Mar
Jun 16, 2015 rated it liked it
It is an okay teen book, but I don't highly recommend it. I found it plodding to get through. Brother goes looking for his missing sister... thinks there may be more to the story....
Edward Sullivan
Nov 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Brother searches for missing sister in exotic locale.

• Dead Man's Switch (Dead Man's Switch #1)
  • Lindsey Lost
  • Unspeakable
  • Something Wiki
  • Nix Minus One
  • Sharpshooter (Vietnam, #2)
  • The Feros (The Vindico, #2)
  • Every Never After (Never, #2)
  • Always Emily
  • Chickadee
  • Un prince sans royaume (Vango, #2)
  • Counting Back From Nine
  • Come Back, Moon
  • The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley
  • On Our Way to Oyster Bay: Mother Jones and Her March for Children's Rights
  • Buzz Kill
  • Pedal Power: How One Community Became the Bicycle Capital of the World
  • The Bravest Woman in America
Susan Laidlaw has twenty years experience as a teacher and counselor in schools and clinical settings around the world. She has published articles on parenting and has led workshops for parents and professional educators on a diverse range of topics related to raising and working with third culture children. When she isn't backpacking through Asia or birdwatching around her island home in Honduras ...more