Start by marking “The Lost Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
The Lost Sisterhood

The Lost Sisterhood

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  4,725 Ratings  ·  800 Reviews
From the author of the New York Times bestseller Juliet comes a mesmerizing novel about a young scholar who risks her reputation—and her life—on a thrilling journey to prove that the legendary warrior women known as the Amazons actually existed.

Oxford lecturer Diana Morgan is an expert on Greek mythology. Her obsession with the Amazons started in childhood when her eccentr
Published March 11th 2014 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Sisterhood, please sign up.
Phyllis Jackson Phyllis ,answered Hi, I have it on my to be read list. I got distracted by several other books. I recently read, The Taming of the Queen and I really…morePhyllis ,answered Hi, I have it on my to be read list. I got distracted by several other books. I recently read, The Taming of the Queen and I really enjoyed it. I have read several other books in the past months. I just picked up The Sisters of Versailles and The Heretics Wife and I am currently reading In the Shadow of Lions: A Novel of Anne Boleyn by Ginger Garrett and I just finished The Sixth Wife by Suzannah Dunn. (less)

Althea Ann
Jan 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Fortier clearly aims to be the Dan Brown of 'women's fiction.'
Her protagonist, Diana Morgan, 'feels' very much like The DaVinci Code's Sophie Neveu, and the plot itself bears many similarities, making little references to many of the same things. (How many novels find an excuse to bring up 'hieros gamos'?)

From the basic book description, I found the concept very appealing:
An Oxford lecturer and expert on the legends of the Amazons makes discoveries that lead her to believe that an Amazon 'c
Anne Fortier
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I told you I would only list my five-star books here. So I figure I have to give this one five stars, too, even though it's my own and it may seem a little hubristic.

I can't tell you how excited I am that this new adventure of mine will be on sale in the US and Canada on March 11, 2014. I just can't wait to hear what you think of it. It's so strange to live in your own story-world for years, without being able to discuss it with more than a handful of people. But all that is about to chang
Sally Howes
I received an advance copy of this book from Ballantine Books (Random House Publishing Group) via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

THE LOST SISTERHOOD is an entertaining and intriguing story that unfortunately does not always realize its full potential. The parallel story lines about the mythical Amazons in both the ancient and the modern worlds provide an exciting premise for the book, and there are many exciting moments born of this premise, but the quality of the story is inconsiste
Erin
Oct 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I have a secret... Are you ready?

I hate Romeo and Juliet. I'm not joking, the story annoys me to no end. I didn't even want to read Anne Fortier's debut, but it was the first title on the Goodreads giveaway page when I discovered that section of the site and I was a little excited at the novelty of it all. Now anyone familiar with the Goodreads giveaway algorithm knows I won the book, they also know I haven't won another in
Robert
There’s something about an athletic woman wielding a long bow that really helps me find my stride on the highway. What proved most interesting were the pieces about the Amazons and their sparse history, as THE LOST SISTERHOOD overflowed with Greek mythology. But that was where this tale and I parted ways on the positive side, as many of the negatives pressed into my flesh.

First, this novel splayed itself across a few too many pages, and then it managed to develop an ambitiousness best reserved f
Nikoleta
Jul 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Έφτασα στην 400 σελίδα με κόπο αλλά δυστυχώς δεν μπόρεσα να το τελειώσω. Και ενώ είχε ωραία γλώσσα, γραφή και τα λοιπά, η ιστορία ήταν τραβηγμένη από τα μαλλιά, κάτι που συνηθίζει η Fortier στα βιβλία της. Ποτέ δεν είχα πρόβλημα με την αλλαγή των μύθων και της ιστορίας για χάρη της μυθοπλασίας, αλλά αυτό με προσπερνά. Κακοί απολίτιστοι Έλληνες (μυκηναίοι βιαστές αγριάνθρωποι, μινωϊτες ανθρωποφάγοι) vs.πανέμορφοι ευγενικοί πανάγαθοι Τρώες, α, και σύγχρονοι Έλληνες με πολύ τρίχα που τρώνε πολυυυυυ ...more
Eleni Ouzouni
Jun 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
Πραγματικά είχα καιρό να διαβάσω ένα τόσο κακό βιβλίο! Δεν ξέρω καν από που να ξεκινήσω... Το ότι οι γνώσεις της Anne Fortier για την Ελληνική ιστορία κυμαίνονται ανάμεσα σε μια απλή ανάγνωση στην Αγγλική Wikipedia.
To καταλαβαίνω το να θες να πάρεις μύθους και πραγματικά γεγονότα και να δημιουργήσεις μια δική σου ιστορία αλλά προπάντων πρέπει να δείξεις και λίγο σεβασμό στην αρχική ύλη. Εδώ η Anne Fortier εκτέλεσε τα πάντα από τα τρία μέτρα.
Ενώ έχω πραγματικά βαρεθεί να διαβάσω σε αυτά τα είδη
B the BookAddict
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommended to B the BookAddict by: Goodreads
Shelves: hist-fiction

This novel is part historical fiction, part modern times and part mystery. It maybe even part fantasy; it is about the Amazon race, if you don't believe the Amazons ever existed then it's part fantasy.

It's the story of Myrina and Lilli, two sisters belonging to the Amazon tribe of women who worship the Moon Goddess and Diana, the current day philologist on a quest to find evidence of the Amazons.

*Philology is the study of language in written historical sources; it is a combination of literary c
Έλσα
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
Dana
“The farther backward you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” Winston Churchill

This book is an amazing and epic Amazon adventure. The story is broken into duel narratives of the past and present. I normally am not a fan of time jumping narratives but the author weaved the two narratives together with mesmerizing perfection.

It took me a while to get through this book. Not simply because of its length but because there was just so much adventure and intrigue that I couldn't m
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on Tangled in Pages

Actual Rating 3.5

Do you like adventure? Does a good treasure hunt intrigue you? Are you fascinated by ancient history and mythology? Then perhaps you have come to the right place for this book provides you with a good mix of everything I just mentioned above.

There are mixed reviews all over the place about this book and it’s really easy to see why. Some people will love this and some people won’t. One reviewer described this book as the Dan
Rachel
Sep 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
I wanted so much to like this book, as I am interested in the Amazon myth and the archaeological mystery adventure (a la Indiana Jones) is right up my alley. But I hated it, and couldn't even finish it due to being so exasperated with the writing. Since the good points of this book are so few, I'll list them first. Fortier's plot is engaging. Diana Morgan, an academic, leaves her post at Oxford to jet across the world on an ultra-secret mission to excavate a site that may be linked to the mythic ...more
Jennie
Hmmmm..Λοιπόν,έχοντας τελειώσει αυτό το βιβλίο και κάνοντας ένα μικρο διαλειμματάκι για να συντάξω τις σκέψεις μου σε σειρά σε σχέση με αυτό το βιβλίο λέω να αρχίσω να κάνω την κριτική μου...
Λοιπόν... Ήταν ένα καλό βιβλίο...
Πολύ ωραία η πλοκή,το story (αν και υπήρξε μεγάλη (όσο πατά ο ελέφαντας μωρέ!) παραποίηση ιστορικών γεγονότων αλλά έτσι είναι όταν κάποιος θέλει να γράψει βιβλία τέτοιου είδους). Το εξώφυλλο πανέμορφο!! Το πρώτο πράγμα που λάτρεψα πολύ σε αυτό το βιβλίο ήταν και είναι το εξώφ
Abbey
Dec 09, 2013 rated it did not like it
Other than general blandness, I'm not sure why I'm not more excited about this book. I feel like I should be--it has a very interesting premise, and even brings in bits that feel like "Clan of the Cave Bear." But having said that, none of the characters are developed enough to cause me to actually care--Myrina has an incredibly tragic event off the bat in the book, but her character is so non-dimensional that I don't actually care. Likewise, Morg has an interest that should be fascinating to me, ...more
Theresa
Apr 04, 2014 marked it as could-not-finish
Meh. Got about 2/3 of the way through and decided I didn't care. The highly educated (Oxford) female protagonist who falls in love with the man who verbally abuses her or at the very least treats her with contempt...getting really sick of this trope.
Heidi
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Three and a half stars: A book that is too lengthy, and it stumbles with unfinished story lines.

Diana Morgan is desperately trying to lock in her place at Oxford. Right now, she is a guest lecturer whose expertise is Greek Mythology and the mythical Amazon warriors. After an exasperating day, Diana is cornered by a strange man who is linked to a wealthy foundation. He presents Diana with an offer she can’t refuse. Diana meets up with Nick Barran, an enigmatic guide. Together they travel to North
Dorine
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rated 5 Blue Ribbons + Recommended Read. Also posted at TBRMountainRange.com with a discussion question.

When offered five thousand dollars to help interpret the writings of an ancient civilization, can a young academic resist the pull of adventure? Especially when this job may prove the existence of the long sought after Amazons? Did this cult of women ever really exist and was her grandmother one of them? History, mythology and contemporary academia combine in an intriguing adventure.

A fascinat
Linda Robinson
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The author has a PhD in the History of Ideas, which, if not the coolest doctoral endeavor on the planet is surely close to the top. And ideas are what are on display in this novel. Wickedly clever ideas that showcase Fortier's knowledge of ancient cultures, and celebrate the Warrior Women throughout history who are regrettably missing from the heroic tales. She writes in the acknowledgements that maybe the events depicted didn't happen the way the novel supposes, but that absolutely does not mea ...more
Kszr
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
A very interesting thesis to start off with, but this book needs an editor! Long winded and overblown, the main character, Diana Morgan, is the classic nerd in that she is always the last to figure anything out. Naive to a fault, and a bit loopie if you ask me, this chick is flying around the world without knowing enough on how to get past customs.

Aside from the fact that I kept losing my patience with her, which may have been the point, I kept going to find out what happened. Where was Granny?
Susana

Arc provided by Random House Publishing Group- Ballantine through Netgalley

This is a story that left me with mixed feelings: on one hand it develops a complex and rich story from ancient mythology; on the other hand, I found the characters and the initial pace of the adventure not very interesting.

Told in alternating points of views, this tale is divided between two very different chronological time phases:
• One takes place during the Bronze age. In it we follow the paths of two sister
Carol Apple
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think I found The Lost Sisterhood by Anne Fortier on a Libertarian book list. I loved the book even though it is a far-fetched adventure thriller. Come to think of it, all my favorite novels are farfetched stretchers of plausibility: Ivanhoe, Les Miserables, Kate Atkinson ‘s Life After Life. In the end this novel stirred my imagination and sent thrills of possibility down my spine.

The story begins in the stuffy academic world of the Oxford Ancient Studies department where a 27-year-old philolo
Julie
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, fiction, first-reads
Even in today’s liberated society, it can be a challenge to find female heroes. Well in Ancient times, it was practically impossible. We don’t hear of very many women in the stories of the Ancient Greeks and Romans and the women who do make an appearance in the myths have a tendency to be victims who are molested by the gods, or jealous goddesses who start wars. The exception to this are the mythical Amazons, a race of fierce women warriors. Although no one is certain the Amazons existed, they a ...more
Nancy Goldberg Wilks
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I finally (with much regret) closed the back cover of The Lost Sisterhood, I sat for awhile mulling over whether I would give the book 5 stars or 4 & stars (were I to do star-rated reviews). Instead of reaching a decision, I opened the front cover and began reading the book again. It wasn’t long before I was once again ruing the closing of the back cover. It is that good!

The “Lost Sisterhood” mentioned in the title refers to the Amazons – those epic women warriors of mythical proport
Ariana Fae
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Lost Sisterhood captured my attention because it revolved around the legendary Amazons, the theme about individual freedom and breaking gender stereotypical roles.

Anne Fortier did a wonderful job of intertwining the tales of two women: Myrina who takes on the responsibility of protecting and leading her sister through an ancient world, and Diana who is on a quest to prove that Amazons were not myths but truly existed. The main female characters were strong and my favorite was Diana’s grandm
Helena Zelin
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Being part feminist, I just couldn't ignore the existence of this book. I always wanted to learn the history of this people and although the book is obviously a fictional version of the know myth, it still is a dilightfullydifferent approach of what may have occurred.

Mrs Fortier writing isis quite elegant and thw switch from the present to the past and back keeps the reader in suspense as the story always pauses at a critical point.

I couldn't not notice that through the story, the writer appeare
Holly
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
*3.5 stars

I really liked parts of this story but something just seemed to be missing for me. I don't think I liked Diana very much. For an Oxford scholar she seemed very naïve and even un-intelligent at times. I did like Myrina's story, learning about the Amazons, and having a bit of mythology thrown in. Overall I liked this book but I just didn't love it like I wanted to.
Heather
A fun march back into the historical events surrounding the beginnings of the Amazon women and their legends. A dual-timeline story that slowly unravels to bring together the best of historical speculation and modern-day treasure hunting.
Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I rated this novel warty!

(some spoilers)

This novel is Romancing the Stone meets Stargate yet it fails to be either. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler - since this is telegraphed from the blurb onwards - to say that Diana Morgan is a desce
Kalen Ruiz
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
The perfect mix of history, intrigue, treasure hunt and romance. When an audiobook makes you not want to leave the car, it’s a winner.
Albert
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Title - The Lost Sisterhood

Author - Anne Fortier

Summary - (SPOILERS)

"..Thank you, Dr. Morgan. I am gratified to discover that I am no longer the most antiquated scholar at Oxford. For your sake I hope the academy will one day come to need feminism again; the rest of us, I am relieved to say, have long since moved along and buried the old battle-ax..."

Diana Morgan has an obsession. A belief ingrained in her by countless tales told to her by her grandmother. A faith that the Amazons of legend did
  • The Fall of Saints
  • Where They Bury You
  • Thanksgiving
  • Three Souls
  • The Collector of Dying Breaths (Reincarnationist, #6)
  • One Great Year
  • Deadly Diamonds (Knight and Devlin #4)
  • Grains of Truth
  • Secretariat Reborn
  • Angel City (The Angelus Trilogy #2)
  • Katya's War (Russalka Chronicles, #2)
  • Rogue (The Beloved, #2)
  • The Circle of Thirteen
  • Pretty Is as Pretty Does (Class Reunion Series #1)
  • Ten White Geese
  • Doctor Death (Madeleine Karno, #1)
  • The Seers (Holders #2)
  • The Gallery of Vanished Husbands
Anne Fortier grew up in Denmark, but immigrated to the United States in 2002. She holds a Ph.D. in the History of Ideas and co-produced the Emmy-winning documentary Fire and Ice: The Winter War of Finland and Russia (2005). Her first novel in English, JULIET (2010), was published in over 30 countries and became a New York Times bestseller. Her next book, THE LOST SISTERHOOD (2014), will be out in ...more
More about Anne Fortier

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
“Only weak men want women to be weak.” 27 likes
“He always says that those who control the present can rewrite the past.” 8 likes