Start by marking “The Broken Rules of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Broken Rules of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery #0.5)

The Broken Rules of Ten (Tenzing Norbu Mystery 0.5)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  391 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In The Broken Rules of Ten, a prequel to the popular Tenzing Norbu Mystery series, our favorite ex-Buddhist monk, ex-LAPD officer, turned private eye, is just turning 13 years old. While Ten deals with the embarrassment of puberty and the rapid changes to his body, he must also navigate his first brushes with mysticism, mystery, and maybe even murder.

Like most teenagers, T
ebook
Published July 5th 2013 by Hay House

To ask other readers questions about The Broken Rules of Ten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Broken Rules of Ten

April
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read any of the other Tenzing Norbu mysteries, but after getting the opportunity to read this one, I definitely am interested in the first two novels in the series. Ten is a lovable character, especially as a child - he is mischievous, curious, and is undergoing many changes as he begins to go through puberty. He finds life at the Tibetan monastery where his father lives and works to be very boring - well, the classes and such that he must go through, at least. The actual adventures he ...more
Jean
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Broken Rules of Ten is a short read, only about 100 pages or so. But it fills in a lot of the history in his life, as he travels between his life with Mother in Paris and his Father in the Buddhist Monastery. Both parents and both worlds may as well be a million of miles apart, and this is confusing for a boy of 13. There are other complications as his body changes and he has a crush on a local girl who lives near the Monastery. His two best friends, Lobsang and Yeshe, try their best to unde ...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a short story about Tenzing’s past. It takes place during his last summer at the monastery, and fills in the mystery of why he left, and lays the basis of why he became a cop. It’s a story about love, loss of innocence and personal growth.

I loved the glimpse into monastery life. It is so different than my life, and seems like a unique experience. The schedule and rituals are so rigid and steeped in tradition. I find it utterly fascinating.

This is a stand alone story, but I think that it
Sedonia
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I am a fan of the Tenzing Norbu stories and enjoyed this prequel a lot. Since i have read the first two stories already, It was cool to read more in depth about Tenzing's adolescence in the monastery in India and the roots of his future as a brilliant detective. He is a lovable character, flawed and very human. A wonderful cast of side characters and just good, enjoyable storytelling. I look forward to digging in to The Third Rule of Ten soon. I like to save these books as a treat after getting ...more
Laurie Hanan
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read the first two “Rule of Ten” mysteries and enjoyed them immensely. In the first books, Ten is an adult ex-monk, ex-cop turned private eye. He hints at his unusual upbringing in which he was shuttled back and forth between his alcoholic mother in France and the strict discipline of a Tibetan monastery where his father lives. Now we have a book dedicated to Tenzing’s childhood. We join him as he is arriving at the monastery in Tibet at the age of thirteen to spend time with his father. Thirt ...more
Jen
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Broken Rules of Ten is a prequel to the Tenzing Norbu series. I really liked the first two in this series about Tenzing Norbu, the former Buddhist monk, who came to the U.S., joined the LAPD, and then left the police department to become a private investigator.

This novella reveals more of the background of Ten, his divided life between his alcoholic mother in Paris and his Buddhist monk father in Dharamshala. The training of novice monks is an interesting feature, and so is the adolescent Te
Dani Moore
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If formulaic main characters, bore you. If reading the same old stories frustrates you. You MUST read this book and those that follow after in this series! Tenzing Norbu is like no detective you have ever encountered. The way he thinks, moves and acts have little in common with most detectives and this book has little in common with most mystery novels.

This is the story of how he got started, where he comes from and why he is like he is. The son of a drunk Parisian mother and a Tibetan monk fath
Nancy Elson
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I started reading The Broken Rules of Ten, I didn't know about the series of books that make up the Tenzing Norbu Mysterys. This book begins when Tenzing Norbu is a teenager; his father is a Tibetan monk, his mother lives in Paris. Tenzing spends half the year at the monastery and half of year in Paris. Learning to like this character was easy, but I wasn't sure that I really wanted to read a book about monasteries. I set it aside and read another mystery novel, all the while thinking about ...more
Susan (aka Just My Op)
This short book, more of a novella, is a prequel to the first and second books of Ten, although I read it after those two. As that, it gives background to Ten's life when he was still a monk, and offers insight to his attitudes later in life. For that reason, it was worth reading, but it didn't have the appeal of the other two Tenzing Norbu books I've read. There was a little too much Buddhism philosophy for me, although I enjoyed the amount in the other two books, and it moved just too slowly f ...more
Garnett Zamboni
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Positively fabulous!

I began reading the Tenzing Norbu mysteries with The First Rule of Ten prior to reading this book. I'm awaiting The Fifth Rule of Ten now.
I'm not sorry that I read this out of order. This book is a prelude the the world of Tenzing Norbu, detective.
The authors of this series are talented, gifted story tellers. You'll not be be disappointed! Open their books and fall into the world of Ten.
Angie Boyter
I love the other books in this series, but this one was disappointing. Perhaps because it took place in the monastery, it was too heavy on the spiritual elements,which are lightly interspersed in the other books in the series but here seemed to take over the writing all too often. The heavy spiritual musings probably added to the major problem, which was that the story really dragged. It took too long to get started, which is practically fatal in a book that is only 120 pages long.
Nelda Pearson
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Very focused on decription of garments,activities, rules of the monestary and light on plot. Some good buddhist responses/queries to troubling questions Ten has but neither are enough to carry the weak plot. Interesting peak into Ten's difficult parentage which sets the scene/is background for events in The Second Rule of Ten and The Third Rule. More for Ten series readers than a general read and not a good introduction to the Ten series. A little too much like a Buddhist lesson as well.
Regina
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Some of the reviews here criticize the amount of Buddhist teachings in the story, but I wonder, how can you tell a coming of age story about a young monk living in a monastery without giving voice to the questions he's asking about the beautiful teachings he is struggling to understand. And explain the decisions he makes and actions he takes.
Tom Kauley
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filled with life lessons

Ten is a beautiful human spirit filled with all the contradiction that we all have in this life walk. The story grabs one from the very start and takes the reader into Ten's world. Wonderful!
Jeannine Stewart
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having read the four books in the Tenzing Norbu series, I realized I never read this one. It is very short, more of a novella, and it fills in the blanks of Ten's early life in the monastery and the events leading to his departure at 13. I love this character and the entire series.
Rex Apps
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was another good installment in this great series. It was nice to have a prequel book to help give some of the back story to this really interesting lead character. I can't wait for the next installment!
Bookish Enchantment
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I cannot say I am jumping out of my seat with this one. I chose to read this on recommendation although this person has not read this prelude book to the series. So I will give the 1st of the series a go and fingers crossed it will snap me in like it has her.
Kelly
Mar 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddhist
I am really enjoying this series and hope they come out with more, soon. This prequel felt like more of a sketch. It was novella length and could have been much more developed. It provided interesting background on the main character.
Rachel
A good beginning, but too short. I ran out of book before I ran out of flight time. It was good to get a little background about how Ten got interested in detecting.
Fred Shaw
Dec 06, 2015 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book. While I got a glimpse of Ten as a young Lama in training, the story was not as good as the the others from these writers.
Kathy
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I really like this series, and so this prequel is interesting to me. It is more touching but less engaging to me than the later ones.
Sandy
Jun 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A prequel to the Broken Rules of Ten. About an ex-mon, ex-LAPD. Mystery
Linda
Aug 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Good prequel. Prefer the mysteries.
Adam
Aug 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the other two books in the series, but this prequel just didn't captivate me like the others. I do look forward to the next sequel.
Mark Bourdon
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am thoroughly enjoying this series. Buddhist monk leaves the monastery, moves to LA, becomes a police detective, and then a P.I.
Helene
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
More of a novella, this quick read has depth, wonderful characters, and an evocative setting
Marilyn Holt
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
A charming prequel to the Tenzing Norbu series. Not as long (or as gritty) as the adventures of his adult counterpart. 12+.
Lisa
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful novella and introduction to the character of Tenzing Norbu! I look forward to read the rest of the series.
Greg Maslak
Feb 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Having read the first two books in the series getting this prequel was very helpful. The third one just arrived from Amazon today. Ready to dive into it.
Gaile Wakeman
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Always live a new mystery series--a new and different slant which I appreciated and will continue to as I explore the rest of the series.
  • The Magician of Lhasa
  • Fifty Million Reasons (Toronto, #13)
  • The Specimen
  • Tell No Tales (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #2)
  • Bleeders
  • Circle of Stones
  • Another Sun
  • Kill the Shogun (Matsuyama Kaze, #3)
  • Deadlight Hall (Nell West/Michael Flint #5)
  • Island of Exiles (Sugawara Akitada, #4)
  • The Hollow Girl (Moe Prager, #9)
  • The Shiro Project (Consortium #2)
  • Journey Into the Flame (Rising World Trilogy, #1)
  • The Silver Ninja (The Silver Ninja Prototype, #1)
  • The Rainy Day Killer (Donaghue and Stainer Crime Novel #4)
  • The New Colossus
  • Angel Therapy/Trade
  • Cold Mourning (Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery, #1)
Dr. Gay Hendricks has served for more than 30 years as one of the major contributors to the fields of relationship transformation and body-mind therapies. Along with his wife, Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks, Gay is the author of many bestsellers, including Conscious Loving, At the Speed of Life, and Five Wishes.

Gay received his PhD in counseling psychology from Stanford University in 1974. After a 21-year

Tenzing Norbu Mystery (5 books)
  • The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1)
  • The Second Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #2)
  • The Third Rule Of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #3)
  • The Fourth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #4)
  • The Fifth Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Night Gardener
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge Series, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Head In The Sand (DI Nick Dixon #2)
  • The Lake House
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files #1)
    $4.99 $2.49