Start by marking “Monster” as Want to Read:
Monster

Monster

The year is 2053, and the world is recovering from a Morbus, a plague that swept across the globe, destroying millions of lives. Eva Stewart is a promising young WorldCure scientist assigned to a facility in Alaska where she is made a Handler and given her own human Subject for research and experimentation. What she believes to be a step up in her career becomes a nightmar ...more
Paperback, 1, 422 pages
Published June 15th 2013 by Mirriam

To ask other readers questions about Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster

Mirriam Neal
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author, I can honestly say I love this book - but I can't tell you anything else. Spoilers, sweetie. :*
C.G. Drews
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review coming soon!
Ness Kingsley
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Everyone was created by God and for His pleasure, and it is not up to us to decide on what our flawed minds would call perfect or imperfect."

The quote above, for me, sums up one of the core issues in this book.

I've been following the author's blog for a while but only recently asked the vital question: wait a sec - is her book available on kindle?

It was.

So I read it. In roughly one sitting.

Do you know what I hated about it? Finding it difficult to breathe because of a really tense scene. It's
Ashley
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Monster is unlike any other book I have ever read, and it was absolutely incredible. This is why you should read it:

Firstly, the romance caught me off-guard. I usually do not like romance, since it is usually over-blown, over-written, and too dramatic, but this romance caught me off-guard in a good way.

Secondly, I fell in love with characters. And my heart dearly paid for devotion, but it was well worth it.

Thirdly, one of the most endearing characters is a professor with a British accent who dr
Jeremiah
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
'Monster' isn't the sort of book I'll look for and read very often. The subject matter is depressing to me which can make it hard for me to get through a book like this (that is the main reason I've only given it four stars--my fault, not the author's). That said, the characters are memorable, and helped drag me through the story more than once (I read it again so I could hopefully review it better). The plot is amazing enough that I think I'll probably read it again someday, and the message is ...more
Abigail Hartman
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I...don't actually have a virtual bookshelf for this. "Monster" defies easy classification, which perhaps helps in making it a fantastic story across the board. While it is by no means my typical style of reading, I was carried along by the breathlessness of the plot, the dynamic setting, and, above all, the charm of the characters. The ending left me with one of those lovely knots in my throat, which is quite enough for me to say it's a splendid book. And it stole most of my morning, for which ...more
Kelsey
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review originally from Verbosity Book Reviews

Plot:

I really wasn’t sure what I was going to think when I asked to review Monster. I tend to be pretty negative towards most self published books. But after hearing one raving review after the next? I really had to try it. I’m happy to say I was not disappointed.

Verbositybookreviews
Plot:

Dr. Eva Stewart is a young woman on a mission. Her family is dead due to the Morbus plague and she’s promised herself that she’ll find the cure. She couldn’t save her family, but she was going to destroy what destroyed them. And what be
Jansina
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I approached this book with a little trepidation. Monster sounds like the title of a thriller—a genre I tend to avoid. The actual genre of this book is something like dystopian, realistic fiction, with perhaps a little science fiction. It’s difficult to place it, since I hadn’t read anything quite like it before.

Set in 2053, Neal paints a realistic (if undesirable) future. The story begins in a medical facility in Alaska, and follows a brilliant young scientist, Eva, as she receives a promotion
Leah
Oh my word. Where do I start? From the very beginning moment that I skimmed the synopsis of this book, I knew I would just have to read it. Once I began, I literally could. not. stop. Seriously, I was up until 4 in the morning soaking it in, it was THAT good. I had to force myself to stop and go to bed!
The characters are incredibly endearing. Pocky is sweet and adorable, Eva is passionate and determined, and of course Mir totally killed my feels with his child-like innocence and love, especially
Frédérique Fontaine
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I would like to know why none of the reviews is saying that this book is christian pro-life propaganda? I love books that are pushing the reader to question what define humanity, what is life, what are the boundaries between science and humanity. I didn't find any questioning; the author is christian, pro-life and doesn't give you a choice to go on her road... This book is a RELIGIOUS CHRISTIAN dystopian story. I which I would have known before I bought it because I dont represent this part of t ...more
Katelyn
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I burned a bucketload of midnight oil reading Monster. It's one of those "I couldn't stop reading to save my soul" novels. The value of life is beautifully illustrated in a new and riveting way, the characters are all distinct and wonderful, and the entirety of the novel well-written. Monster is a huge success for debut authoress Mirriam Neal. I await with eager anticipation the publication of her future works!
Abigail
Aug 07, 2013 rated it liked it
First I want to start by saying I don't really like books with Christian themes, to me it seems like they dumb down Christianity and make it stupid and boring. So when I started reading this book I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I LOVED it. "Monster" doesn't dumb down Christianity in any way. I fell in love with the characters, they were (are) real people with real struggles who meet with a real God.
I've read "Monster" twice now and will be reading it again in the future.
Chris
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What does it mean to be human? This question is at the heart of Mirriam Neal's debut novel, Monster. Deep and thoughtful, this book drew me in with its characters and kept me there with its suspenseful plot and intriguing premise. Neal has a very promising future as a writer and I can't wait to see what else she has in store for us readers.
Brooke
Apr 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful book that restored my faith in humanity. In Christ all things are possible.
Mikayla
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: distopian, five-stars
Incredible only begins to describe this book. I honestly didn't expect it to be quiet as good as it was.
The characters in this were stunning. I wanted to grab Eva by the shoulders sometimes and just shout some sense into her. Or just tell her the right thing to do. I wanted to hug others, and just tell some of them to get lost. I cringed so many times at things that were done. But this book was very realistic in the way that it slowly builds towards all the changes.
And all the characters quirk
Age Appropriate For: 16 and up for violence, torture, and disturbing moments
Best for Ages: 16 - 25

Read on Kindle Unlimited

I remember back in the early days of Homeschooled Authors, there were a lot of people telling me about this book. I was on the fence whether it was something that I would like or not so I hadn’t bought a copy. With Kindle Unlimited, it was one of the first titles I went for, and I’m so glad I did.

I get caught up in stories easily because I have a vivid imagination. This book
Hannah
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
A scattered dump of (almost) all my thoughts.

When I first ran into this book on Mirriam's blog, I thought, "There is no way I will read that book." Then people started reviewing it, saying things like, "It's not the type of book I like to read, but I loved it." So I thought maybe. Then my sister bought the book.

That settled it. I spent yesterday afternoon neglecting my family while I raced through Monster.

First thing I noticed: The first two paragraphs are all subject-verb sentences. (Sorry, Ea
Anna Catherine
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my absolute favorite book. The story was unique and creative. The characters were very original and interesting to read. The plot often brought up things that made one think. I never cry at books, but this gave me one of those classic "Anne Shirley aches" for days on end. The emotions packed in this book could kick The Fault in Our Stars out of the bookstore. Read if you're wanting a well written, original story that will make you cry (unless you're a heartless brick like I am, in which ...more
Johanna
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I came into Monster with a lot of excitement, personally knowing the author does that. I was not disappointed. The story addresses the question "what is humanity, what is life?" in a beautiful way and I loved every second of it. Good job, Mirriam Neal.
Jennifer Jungling
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I fell in love with the characters and the heart wrenching situations they were going through. I couldn't stop reading until I was at the end, and then I wanted it to keep going. I have read it multiple times and will continue to read it in the future.
Brandy Lagerstrom
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loved Pocky, and Eva, and Mir. And I wanted to kill Jude, even more than I wanted to kill Dr. Ross. Thank you Mirriam for publishing this. Amazing! Keep up the good work.
Rebekah Jones
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review Coming Soon
Angie Thompson
So...this is kind of a hard review to write. I agree with my friends who have read it that the story is very powerful and the message is very important, but I didn't love the book as much as I was hoping to, mostly because of personal preferences.

For some reason, the violence and torture and utter dehumanizing of the "subjects" got to me way worse than I expected it to. All of this was shown to be absolutely wrong, but somehow it tore me up more than even true accounts of torture and atrocities
Olivia Gratehouse
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I stumbled into Mirriam Neal's blog and found out that this book was coming out literally just a few days before it's actual release! I bought it on the spot and when it came in, I stayed up all night to finish it. It's fresh. It's thrilling. It's contemplative. It's full of love and heartache and pain and loss and rebirth. There isn't even really a clear genre to define it--it's like a dystopian sci-fi thriller with a little bit of romance and spirituality! You can tell Mirriam put a lot of tho ...more
Emilie S
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. It hurt to read it, and that's when you know it's good. It is not a preachy book. It has a message, but it's not threatening. It asks questions.
It reminded me a great deal of the Star Trek Next Generation episode The Measure of a Man with its Pro Life message. Picking and choosing who matters on this earth is a dangerous president that will quickly be corrupted.
Everyone has to matter, or no one will matter.
Excellent book!
Elijah
This is the third of Mirriam's books I've had the pleasure to read (though it's the only one that's currently out in the world; but that's changing this year because Paper Crowns is being published! :D) and it did not disappoint.

Monster is the story of Eva, a rising young medical doctor who works for WorldCure, an organization devoted to helping people. At least that's what they tell the world. It's a statement Eva has no reason to doubt, until she encounters her test Subject: a so-called non-hu
C.M.
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really struggled to put my thoughts back together after finishing this book. The first word that comes to mind is just-Woah.

This is a book that truly makes you think. It makes you feel so much more strongly than most novels you will find these days, for both the characters, and the message. The plot itself is fairly simple, but beautifully rendered, and its simplicity only seems to make the point that much sharper.

This book is dark and rather sad, powerful and haunting. It will move you at som
Esther
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book!
The characters were so tangible and real. It was heartbreaking, and lovely.
Eva and Mir and Pocky and June and... and... EVERYONE was my favorite! If I HAD to choose... I would probably go with Pocky, but only if I had to. Jude.... we'll leave it at that, okay? And the other guy? I refuse to name him. (He's the evil-doctor-antagonist-dude). He infuriated me!
So, go read it. Like right now. Go! GO! GOO!!!!!!
« previous 1 3 next »
Drop me a question, comment, favorite quote, riddle, or random remark here — mirriamneal@outlook.com
“I still have a soul.” 4 likes
“No matter how noble the cause [...] barbaric means are never justified.” 3 likes