Start by marking “Sunbolt (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sunbolt (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #1)

Sunbolt

(The Sunbolt Chronicles #1)

The winding streets and narrow alleys of Karolene hide many secrets, and Hitomi is one of them. Orphaned at a young age, Hitomi has learned to hide her magical aptitude and who her parents really were. Most of all, she must conceal her role in the Shadow League, an underground movement working to undermine the powerful and corrupt Arch Mage Wilhelm Blackflame.

When the Leag
Published June 17th 2013 by Purple Monkey Press (first published June 13th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sunbolt, please sign up.
Intisar Khanani I consider it relatively clean--maybe a PG-13 rating, if it were a movie? There is no sex (not even a kiss!), and only perhaps 2-3 mild swears, but…moreI consider it relatively clean--maybe a PG-13 rating, if it were a movie? There is no sex (not even a kiss!), and only perhaps 2-3 mild swears, but there is a bit of graphic violence. Not gory, but certainly there. Hope this helps!(less)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

4.5 stars rounded up. Sunbolt, the first tome of a promising Fantasy YA series written by Intisar Khanani, might be the best surprise of the beginning of the year for me, and I genuinely believe that it deserves way more high praise than it gets. Curious to know why?

Let's make a list of why you should read it too, shall we?

►  Sunbolt reminded me why I loved the Fantasy genre in the first place.   I don't know when 1K+ novels have become the norm in that genre, and I don't deny that several of my
Philip
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4ish stars.

It would have been so easy to write this off as another YA paranormal romance book. It's got magic, a young, tragically disadvantaged orphan, some vampire-like beings and multiple strong, eligible bachelors. While she hasn't reinvented the wheel, Khanani has subverted the status quo here in some great ways.

First of all, it's intelligent. Gasp! Khanani is a legitimately talented writer, and for more than just her concepts and ideas; her prose is simply well-written. She manages in 140
Dana
My intensity while reading this

This is the second book that I have read by this author and it is the second time that I have been blown away by her storytelling. It is impossible not to devour these books. To help you understand how good this books was, I was up all night reading this, and I have a five month old, so sleep is very precious to me!

Sunbolt was such a great adventure and I loved how there were so many different paranormal races involved, although I would have liked to have seen th
Molly Mortensen
Possibly the best indie book I’ve ever read! While this novella didn’t feel too short I was left wanting more. It’s a complete story don’t get me wrong, but I want the other books in the series now, okay? Apparently the sequel is going to be a trilogy. Yay!

I can tell a lot of thought went into the world. Karolene is an island nation of traders and an evil arch mage is controlling the sultan. A group is fighting back in the shadows (called the Shadow League) trying to save people. Lead by the mys
Ev.
Looooooved it. LOVED IT.

OKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

YEEEEEEEPEEE KAIY YAYAYYA

Now for some coherence:

Firstly, FUCK, THIS BOOK IS SHORT. I HATE THAT SO MUCH, BECAUSE IT DESERVES TO BE AN EPIC OF MASSIVE, GEORGE R.R. MARTIN PROPORTIONS. And that's my one and only complaint for today.

Because shit, son, there is SO MUCH ABOUT Sunbolt that I adore. Chief among them is the Asian heroine.

Wow. Just wow. To have a PoC heroine, Hitomi, who's not ONLY the baddest mothafucker around for miles but also resource
Althea Ann
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've been hearing good things about Intisar Khanani's writing and now, I can confirm that they're justified.

I loved this book. It's a pure and timeless fantasy. It mixes classic tropes with fresh and original ideas seamlessly. I especially liked how the many supernatural elements are introduced without fanfare, as they're known and accepted parts of this world.

The narrator, Hitomi, is a young woman, a foreigner on her own in a country that's recently been invaded. She's also a rather junior me
Mimi
Sep 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mimi by: Athena
Between 4 and 5 stars. A lot of fun. I'm very impressed with the writing overall. I never would have guessed it was self-published.

A big thanks to Athena for the rec--see her awesome review here.
Sylvia Mercedes
This surprising and amazing book was my Book of the Month for February! And now, in honor of my new website, I'm offering a print copy of it and two others (including "Caraval" in hardcover!) for one lucky winner. Visit my website to enter the giveaway!

February Giveaway photo FebruaryGiveaway_zps0tdrsvuh.jpg

Thanks for helping me celebrate my website's launch, everyone. Looking forward to sharing more of this book-love with all of you.

I honestly didn't think my luck could hold this far. I mean, three five-star reads in a row? After loving "The Midnig
Intisar Khanani
Mar 16, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Update: Memories of Ash is here! Thank you all so much for your support (and patience). Hope you enjoy it!

~~~

I know a lot of have you have been waiting extremely patiently for Book 2... it's almost here! "Memories of Ash" went up for pre-order on March 16 for only 99 cents. It will go up to $3.99 at release, so nab it now! The actual release is May 30, 2016. Thank you all so much for reading!
Elisabeth Wheatley
It seems to be a matter of course that I love what this author writes—probably because she writes about a lot of fighting and a lot of magic. Sunbolt is a fast-paced, quick read that still has excellent character development and world-building packed into less than 200 pages.

The plot:
This novella is clearly setting it up for the rest of the series as we are introduced to a cast of dynamic, dimensional, and diverse characters in a short space of time. This story moves quickly, yet still manages
Athena
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Fantasy, YA, female characters, alt worlds
At long last I finally read Sunbolt. Set in an alternate universe, author Intisar Khanani has done an absolutely brilliant job of world-building populated with interesting characters. At first I wanted more from the book, but on reflection realized that by taking her writing to the bare bones of her story she's created something far richer than so many other works that explain Every.Little.Detail.

Sunbolt is a universe of humans, seemingly as similar in dispersal on the planet as the humans of Ea
Kirstine
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read Khanani's book Thorn and loved it, which is frankly the reason we're here today. I don't mean here in the world, I mean here reading and writing this review, respectively.

At first this story felt incredibly familiar. I was happy with the diverse cast, but the story itself was not very original. Our young girl, Hitomi, wants to prove herself, wants to fight against the tyrannical leaders of the city, has hidden magical powers, attempts to prove her worth to her rebel-leader, but it goes wr
Charlotte
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a short and sweet little YA fantasy, but every word counted. By the end I was delighted and surprised by how invested I had become in Hitomi's story given the brief amount of time I had spent with her. You don't necessarily have to spend 700 pages banging on and on if you know the story you want to tell, and it's a worthwhile one - and Khanani's absolutely is.
Ann
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunbolt is just beautiful -- exciting, endearing, full of amazing dialogue and heart-rending moments.

And whoever helped to edit it did a really good job, too.

More review to come...
murphy ✌ (daydreamofalife)
either a 2.5 or 3, only future me knows for sure. some great ideas here, but a bit shaky in the execution. RTC

(read for #OWBookClub's theme for March - FIRE)
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to author Intisar Khanani.)
Hitomi is an orphan, and she’s also a thief. A thief who hides her magical powers so as not to be captured and used as a source slave to a mage.

There’s talk of a political family being executed in the town of Karolene, and Hitomi is part of the team who will try to help them escape before they are captured, even if it means risking her own life.
Will Hitomi manage to ensure the fa
Annika
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everything about Sunbolt works effortlessly. Khanani has a gift for story-telling, and in this novella you get a story that really pulls you in. Wonderful characters, intriguing plot, non-stop action... Can't wait to read the next one - which I've heard is a lot longer than Sunbolt. More time in this wonderful world? I'm in!
Nikki
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Sunbolt is a fun little novella with a lot of promise, setting up an interesting fantasy world which is (thank goodness!) not an analogue of medieval Europe. It’s just satisfying enough that I got into it and didn’t want it to end, just tantalising enough that I’m sure I’ll be picking up the second book just as soon as I can.

I did feel like it was a book of two halves — before Hitomi meets Val, and after. The turning point of the book reminded me so much of the scene where Sunshine meets Con in
Claudie Arseneault
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This story put its nails into me, hooked me hard and strong, and refused to let go. Hitomi is an awesome protagonist, the worldbuilding is amazing, the writing strong and evocative ... I'm charmed, and will be eagerly awaiting the next instalment.

ALSO. A big shout out to this story which has *no* romantic subplot for now, and gives a lot of room to old & steady friends as well as new, uneasy ones. love love love.
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
Massive, gigantic thank you to Purple Monkey Press Publishers for giving me a copy of this book and starting my new addiction!

Book where have you been hiding!?

Needless to say, this book:

description

I haven't felt this happy to read a Fantasy since Sora's Quest and while Sora's Quest is still my absolute favourite by an indie author, This book was awesome and amazing in its own way! The level of creativity here is unreal.

If you guys have read my other reviews and know me, you know i don't give 5 stars eas
imyril
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I seem to have mislaid my heart. That's what you get for reading about magical thieves, blood drinkers and soul stealers.

Sunbolt is engaging, well-written, gripping and as full of Promise as its heroine Hitomi. It does just enough world building to hang together and tantalise, focusing instead on showing the strength of character of its young protagonist.

I loved The Bone Knife, and Sunbolt cements Intisar Khanani as an author whose work I won't hesitate to read and recommend. More flailing.

4.5
Lynxie
Sunbolt is a shining beacon of great writing. It has an amazing story line and brilliant characters that a lot of authors aspire to reach. The cover is striking, but simple, allowing it to capture your eye with the title. It really is the whole package.

Hitomi, our protagonist, is a young woman who has dragged herself out of the gutter after losing her parents. She lives by her wits, occasionally having to resort to stealing from the street vendors, but normally doing any job she can find for he
Lara
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-on-kindle
Even though I have heard many readers highly praise Intisar Khanani before, I had never read any book of hers, so I really did not know what to expect when I first started reading this book. Well, after reading Sunbolt, I now understand why her books are so well loved by readers. This story was so beautifully well-written and thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish.

Sunbolt is set in Karolene, where Hitomi lives, and where she hides a big secret – she’s a Promise - a magical talent who was sec
Priscila
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, let me thank my GR friend Emmeline for recommending this one!
I love indys! What a treat this was!
I would certainly recommend this to any fantasy lover.
With that being said, when can I get book 2?
Lukasz
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-adult
Actual rating: 3.5/5

While YA books aren't usually my first choice I tend to read them from time to time. It's good to juggle between the genres not to get stuck in one of them.

Sunbolt is a short and well-written book. I'll emphasize short - it's impressive that the author has managed to contain a lot of action and drama in a book under 200 pages. The story doesn't need to have 1000 pages to engage the reader and introduce him to the lore. It's good to know there are authors who appreciate words
Neelam
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book and the world it was set in! I wasn’t expecting the story to go in the direction it did so that was an interesting twist.
I really liked learning about the world and how it works. The characters were all really interesting and I really want to know more about them!
I only wish the story was a bit longer so we could get to see more of the characters and the world.
I’m really looking forward to reading the next book and seeing where the story goes!
Rachmi Febrianty
ARC was provided by the author/publisher via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.

First thing that cross my mind after I finished reading this book is why I didn't read it as soon as I received it from NetGalley, which is months ago, if you want to know. At the time I didn't know what this is all about. I only requested it because I was pretty sure they'll approve me. I need as much approval by NetGalley so I look for books that will likely give it. Sunbolt it was.

But then I got too many book
Jolien
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2015
Originally at The Fictional Reader

I requested this book because it sounded like a solid fantasy read, and the ratings on Goodreads were already quite good. I definitely don’t regret requesting this as I really enjoyed it but I’m going to give you a warning here: THIS BOOK IS VERY SHORT.

Plot

Let me just tell you, this book is a wild ride. There are no boring moments, not a single one. Of course, because this book is so short -less than 200 pages- the action is continuous. We follow Hitomi as she t
J.M. Stengl
I can hardly wait to read the next book! Many plot threads left dangling.
I will write a complete review when I've finished both books, but must say I loved this one.
I'm a huge fan of Intisar Khanani's writing and her story worlds! Great stuff here.
Runningrabbit
This is a well written and erudite YA novel set against a backdrop of mages, predators, and political wrangling. The world is nicely rounded out and isn’t limited to one fixed culture and position, but rather branches out throughout the novel continuing to broaden its style and introduce fresh and diverse characters.

The principal character written, is a young girl of 15 years who has been subjected to many changes spanning out through both her education and experiences. Hitomi, is left alone str

• Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)
  • Bear Naked
  • Caprion's Wings (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Lhind the Thief (Lhind, #1)
  • Defiance (The Priestess Trilogy, #1)
  • Scriber
  • Havenstar
  • Windswept : The Hightower Trilogy, #2
  • Fire in the Blood (Shards of a Broken Sword #2)
  • Beyond the Iron Gate: Zara's Journey (The Lost Kingdom of Fallada #0.5)
  • Lethal Inheritance (The Diamond Peak Series, #1)
  • Enigma (Forgotten Ages, #1.5)
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
  • Anomaly of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #3)
  • The Journeyman (The Commons, #1)
  • Halfway (Wizards and Faeries, #1)
  • Bonded (ShadowLight Saga, #1)
Intisar Khanani grew up a nomad and world traveler. Born in Wisconsin, she has lived in five different states as well as in Jeddah on the coast of the Red Sea. She currently resides in Cincinnati, Ohio, with her husband and two young daughters. Prior to publishing her novels, Intisar worked as a public health consultant on projects relating to infant mortality and minority health, which was as clo ...more

The Sunbolt Chronicles (3 books)
  • Memories of Ash (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #2)
  • Untitled (The Sunbolt Chronicles, #3)
“Their laughter hides their loss, their smiles hide their grief, their eyes hide a pain that will not be eased.” 5 likes
“Absolutely. Justice served with a side of pineapple. That's what I'm here for.” 3 likes