Start by marking “Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)” as Want to Read:
Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)

Into the Light

(Sutton Family #2)

Kansas 1899. Deborah Sutton barely remembers her family's feud with the Van Cleves. Her mother died that summer, and her father was killed. Nothing else mattered to seven-year-old Deborah eighteen years ago. Still, Deborah despises the Van Cleves.

Trey Van Cleve does remember the land war. Trey saw bloody bodies hanging from the roof of his home and fled fire in the night.
Published June 2013

To ask other readers questions about Into the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Light

Jill
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

"Can the light be on?"
Her request was the opposite of what he expected, yet hadn't he once thought she needed to leave the dark and come into the light?

At twenty-five, Deborah Sutton considers herself an old maid. Orphaned at seven along with her two younger sisters, she has never desired marriage. But a chance encounter and conversation with a stranger one night has her longing for more.

Trey Van Cleve has been badly wounded in the war in Cuba. A sharpshooter for the Americans in the Spanish–
Mei
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
Let me say that I loved, loved, loved Beautiful Bad Man and nothing can compare, but this one was not bad at all! It would be a spite to rate it less because of BBM, so take that into consideration! :)

I loved Trey (not as much as Caleb) and his force of character and his honesty even if everybody doubted it because of his monster father. I loved that he accepted this with good grace and din't try to defende himself with words, but with actions!

I liked Deborah too (not nearly as much as Norah), b
KatLynne
3.5 Stars

Into the Light is the sequel to O’Connell’s Beautiful Bad Man and begins nearly twenty years afterward and can be read as a stand-alone. At the ending of BBM, both protagonists were children. Here we find two damaged adults suffering from the trials of their childhood and trying to find their way in this small rural Kansas town near the beginning of the Twentieth Century.

Trey Van Cleve has returned home and is recovering from the events of war and fighting a legacy of mistrust and hatr
Lyuda
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it

A better man could help a woman who so often fled into darkness find her way into the light.
When I finished Beautiful Bad Man, I wasn't ready to part away with Norah and Caleb and downloaded the sequel right away. It starts 19 years after the events in BBM. It is a story of Deborah, the oldest of the three sisters Caleb and Norah rescued, and Trey Van Cleve, the son of a greedy monster Webster Van Cleve. Both Deborah and Trey were children when the feud between Sutton and Van Cleve
Jacqueline
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a follow-up to Beautiful Bad Man, set 15 years later and about the evil ranch owner's son, Trey and Cal' s eldest niece, Deborah.

I liked this lots but I didn't love it. As this had a bit of a Romeo and Juliet forbidden vibe as well as all of the constraints that come with that time I was hoping for more tension, but instead the slow burn was a little too slow paced for me, it seemed to take a long time until I sensed any sort of spark between them. They were friends and it was sweet and
Jenn
Jun 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love Ms. O'Connell's western- historical romances. She's really great at keeping her readers hooked until the last line. She makes you believe each character are meant only for each other, and at times- you feel they are real. Her stories feel unique, to me, compared to other writers in her genre. I love how she keeps a nice, constant, steady flow with constant action. She gives you great historical tid bits, and just enough detail to never bore you.

I loved this story and didn't want it to en
Baba
Jun 15, 2013 marked it as couldn-t-get-into-it
I cannot believe it but there is no nice way to say it. I'm 16 % done and I'm bored out of my mind. Ellen is one of my favorite authors and I really loved her other books but this one...nope, not going to happen.
I might pick it up again but not anytime soon.
Ian
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ian by: Jill
Many years earlier, the Sutton's and the van Cleve's fought a range war which resulted in deaths on both sides. Now the hostilities have ended but the enmity remains.

When Trey van Cleve returns from war broken and crippled he means to make peace with his father and then leave. But after meeting a mysterious woman in a darkened courtyard he finds himself drawn back in the hopes of meeting her again.

Deborah Sutton has chosen her lot. She would rather be single and lonely than ever trust a man. B
Leea
3.5 stars...

Something didn't click for me while reading this book. I loved the idea of Deborah and Tray, but for me the spark just came to late. I think what happened is we spend so much of this book learning all the reasons that Deborah and Tray cannot be together that I just started to loose interest.

Keep in mind I waited for this book to come out. A few friends and I even stalked the authors blog in order to know when Ms. O'Connell's next book was coming out. You see, I love her Westerns. The
Zeek
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
The setting is around the turn of the century 1900. The hero is wounded as is the heroine- her's invisible to the eye. Of course their love heals them both.

I love how this author continually goes off the beaten path... And impresses me. As one reviewer said, she can write any hero and do it well, be it alpha, gamma or, as in this book, beta.

Her books are tamer than some but still, it's romancey, and that's good enough for me.

Deborah and Trey are gems. The introduction of the automobile juxtapos
Jacqueline J
Darn my review got eaten.
I liked this okay but not as much as others by this author. I didn't fall in love with the hero. He wasn't as strong a character as other heroes in this author's books. Also I am not really a fan of stories set in this time period. It was set in 1898 and I just don't find stories set in this time period as interesting as historicals set in the 1860s or 1870s when the west was wilder. Still it seemed well researched and had a good sense of time and place.
Kotka
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is actually more of a 4.5 stars -- and only because I will not be re-reading it quite as compulsively as Beautiful Bad Man or Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold, which have become my go-to books when I am miserable with a cold in bed and need a comfort read.

I'm a sucker for character-driven stories, and O'Connell is wonderful at writing compelling characters and dialogue. This particular story has almost no sex (what there is is very elegantly done and well-integrated) but there is plenty of beli
Regina
Not quite 4 stars, but more than 3 stars.

Missing your little house on the prairie books from when you were younger? Love to read books that show the characters hard at work? But like to add a sweet and slow building romance to that mix? Then Ellen O'Connell is an author you need to read.

Into the Light is the most recent book published by O'Connell. It is a continuation of the story of Beautiful Bad Man - which was the book that introduced me to O'Connell. But it isn't necessary to read Beautiful
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This is painful, painful to write, but...I didn't really care for this book. I know! I'm shocked. But it just didn't do it for me. Anyone who's kept up knows of my glowing reviews of a few of O'Connell's other books. I read Eyes of Silver Eyes of Gold and Dancing on Coals last year, but I still revisit them from time to time because I love the characters, the plots, and the romance. And while Sing My Name was not really a favorite, and Beautiful Bad Man disappointed me, they are two books I woul ...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

I really enjoyed this sequel to Beautiful Bad Man Beautiful Bad Man by Ellen O'Connell
This western had a bit of a different flavor than others I've read by this author. In the other stories I've read the main characters become a couple near the beginning of the story and then their relationship evolves. In this book two very damaged people get to know each other and overcome their obstacles on the way to becoming a couple.
I enjoyed the chance to see Cal and Norah again (from Beautiful Bad Man) and I especially e
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
I'm probably being stingy, and this is entirely, I suspect, a personal issue with the book because O'Connell can write and I've read and enjoyed her in the past. The first in this series was solid for me, and I enjoyed seeing the H/h from that book twenty years on. Her language and description and conversation are all excellent. I read this straight through and it was perfectly fine.

However, this just felt, a bit, bloodless? I never connected to the romance.

I Iiked the hero. Injured in the war,
Aoi
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Ellen O'Connell is one of the few authors who literally takes readers by the hand and transports them into the old West. It's just so amazingly authentic, the pace of life , the bent of mind of the protagonists - I am again in awe of how it's done.

This second installment in the series takes us half a generation ahead of Caleb and Norah 's story. 1899 presents it's own set of new opportunity and challenges - a time for women to attend college and find 'suitable' employment , for indust
jesse
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
3.5/5

The female protagonist, Deborah struggles with social anxiety and sexual abuse, despite her being "damaged", her well-meaning family tries to push her into marrying and doing things she'd rather not. When she finds herself opening up to a mysterious stranger one night, but later horrifyingly discovers to be her family's arch enemies's son, Trey... both grudgingly find excuses to see each other again and again.

I enjoyed the feminist stance with her working as a reporter.
This is definitely a
Sometime
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I really enjoyed this book, who am I kidding I love ALL Ellen O'Connell's books! I loved the originality of the story. I loved how both Trey and Deborah were both broken people but neither came off as victims. Their slowly growing love for each other was beautiful to read.
Leona
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Ok story, but not as good as the first one.
Jane Stewart
Oct 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
3 stars. Enjoyable story even though the relationship was a little bland.

My favorite part was after Trey left his father’s ranch - what he did for work and also his friend Jamie’s business. I liked Deborah’s role in that part as well. I couldn’t stop reading and stayed up too late. Other parts were good. I’m glad the author didn’t go into depressing cruelty the way she did in some of her other books.

Some reviewers complained that the characters were bland and the romance was not exciting enough
A (Is For Awkward)
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-april
Disappointed in this one. A decent story, undermined by a forced (and very rushed) first chapter, and important elements rushed throughout. And sorry, the magical healing of a spinal injury? so overdone. This book would have been better without the external conflict, and if it focused more on the internal ones (her trauma, and his) and left him chair bound.
Vishal Mudgal
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scars
visible on me
and
hidden on her soul
we both were supposed to be loved
by those
in those nights
when ppl say
angel descends down
to meet mortals

And once again, just like that, Ms. O'Connell floored me with all that falling in love one day at a time. What would I not give to be in those times when life was much simpler and love was just love, plain and simple. And now that I'v
Caitlin
While I found the portrayal of abuse during the times to be realistically portrayed, I personally struggled with the lead female's actions. This is not a faulting of the author's, merely not what I wanted, which is no detriment to the well-written novel.
Kim Howard
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes place 18 years after Beautiful Bad Men and focuses on one of the three orphaned Sutton sisters. It’s a turn of the century, western that has an authentic vibe. The story has a slow start and gait to it that seemed like a stroll instead of a fast paced trot that previous books had. I enjoyed this book but something was missing that the other books had, though I’m not sure what. Still readable and highly recommended.
Andrea
I really enjoy this author, but I just think the Sutton Family books aren't for me. I DNF'ed the first one and this one just didn't sit right with me on some aspects.

mainly (view spoiler)
Zoe and the Edge
4.5 Stars

“Stay away from my family! My father could be dangerous.”
“Stay away from mine. Caleb
is dangerous.”

Ellen O' Connell most certainly knows how to write.
There is something so engaging about her style. I end up reading way more and way longer than I originally planned. I really enjoyed this sequel.
I was readying myself for star-crossed lovers but the author gave me something better.
This book is really quite connected to the first one in the series Big Bad Beautiful Man.
It can be a bit
Emmy
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
**3.5**

I got a little scared in the beginning of this as I had assumed that Deborah was the daughter of Caleb and Norah from Beautiful Bad Man. The revelation that Deborah was molested by her father when she was seven would have turned an amazing hero from one book into the worst kind of villain in this one. Which was traumatizing. Luckily I figured everything out.

Deborah was one of the little girls from Beautiful Bad Man that Caleb and Norah rescued from their father after their mother (Caleb'
Angie Elle
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've never read an Ellen O'Connell book in more than one sitting, and Into the Light is no exception. I get so enraptured when I'm reading anything by her that I'm shut off to the rest of the world and can't do anything else until I've finished.

This one has a bit of a Romeo & Juliet feel to it--minus the unhappy ending, of course. Trey and Deborah's families have been at odds for years, and when at first they meet, they have no idea who the other one is. All they know is that there is someth
Regan Walker
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
4 and 1/2 Stars! Charming, Authentic and Exciting!

This is the sequel to BEAUTIFUL BAD MAN, and while it can be read as a stand alone, I recommend reading BAD MAN first. I loved that one, too! Together they form a single story of the Sutton family.

Set in Kansas in 1899, this is the story of Deborah Sutton, the prettiest of the three Sutton daughters, but with a scar in her past that keeps her from considering marriage with any man, and Trey Van Cleve, heir to a fortune he doesn’t want. The Sutton
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Last Renegade (Bitter Springs #1)
  • The Stranger
  • Treacherous Temptations
  • Heartbreak Creek (Runaway Brides #1)
  • Parting Gifts
  • Mountain Wild (Wild, #3)
  • Allie's Moon
  • A Hearing Heart
  • The Assassins' Lover (Tale of the Demon World, #7)
  • Pure Magic (Black Dog, #2)
  • The Barefoot Bride
  • I Do, I Do, I Do
  • Medair (Medair, #1-2)
  • The Texan's Reward (Wife Lottery, #4)

Sutton Family (3 books)
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • A Grand Race (Sutton Family, #3)