Start by marking “His Kind of Woman” as Want to Read:
His Kind of Woman

His Kind of Woman (SPECTRUM #1)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  49 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
When Roy Girard went looking for Victor Varrano, he never expected a woman to answer the door. He soon discovers that Victor is now Venetia. Roy's startled, but even more surprised by his attraction to her. As they spend time together, he doesn't want to let her go. But she's sure to dump him when she learns his secret.

Venetia's falling hard and fast for Roy. But when she
ebook
Published June 13th 2013 by Loose Id

To ask other readers questions about His Kind of Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Kind of Woman

A Matter of Disagreement by E.E. OttomanThe Burnt Toast B&B by Heidi BelleauDefying Convention by Cecil WildeHer Name is James by C.J.  HeathTo Summon Nightmares by J.K. Pendragon
Romance Featuring Trans Characters
34th out of 80 books — 55 voters
Nowhere But Home by Liza PalmerThe Rosie Project by Graeme SimsionHeart of Obsidian by Nalini SinghCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatA SEAL's Surrender by Tawny Weber
DABWAHA 2014
65th out of 66 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
A story about bullying is surprisingly moving. Roy Girard is a reformed bully. His brother, Travis is also a reformed bully. Travis's past is a classic reason as to why he was so mean. Travis's guilt weighs on him. He wants to apologize to Victor, the main target of his youthful anger. There is an added twist to Victor. He is now known as Venetia.

In addition to this heavy subject, Ms. Raines mixes it with a tough transgender topic. Talk about a double whammy. This story is surprisingly light in
Mandie *Foxylutely Books!*
Feb 18, 2015 Mandie *Foxylutely Books!* rated it really liked it
This was first published back in June 2013 and I came across it when I was researching transgender romance to review, so to be then asked if I would like to take part in a blog tour for it just felt it was meant to be.

This was a relatively short but enlightening read. This is only my second read of a transgender romance but again I am pleased to see it was done well.

Venetia has lived a turbulent past, especially her school days in relation to being bullied. She has turned her life around and n
K.J. Charles
Mar 21, 2014 K.J. Charles rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
This is my first trans* romance, so I'm coming from a position of utter ignorance. I read this because it was a DABWAHA nominee and (disclaimer) I swapped MSS with the author.

It's a very sweet, short romance with an uncomplicated 'take it as it comes' guy falling for a very complicated woman (transgender, dealing with years of bullying even before transphobia, etc). I liked the hero very much, with his very simple, straightforward approach to life, and the prickly, vulnerable heroine.

The book w
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Feb 18, 2015 Philomena Callan Cheekypee rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-read
This book had a few firsts for me. My first read by this author and also my first transgender read. I must admit I jumped into this without reading anything about it. When I read that Venetia was Victor I was shocked (not in a bad way).
I really like Roy and Venetia. Their story is a real quick story. However I thought the author did a great job of portraying some real issues such as bullying and different sexualities.

A short story about forgiveness and being happy with who you are. Great read.
Mummy's Naughty Corner
Feb 20, 2015 Mummy's Naughty Corner rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, r2r, erotica, m-m, kindle, own
Book gifted from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Cover :- 4 stars

Book Pairing:- M/M (M/F)
Did it give me a book hangover :- No
Is this a review book or personal read :- Review Read

Why I chose this book?

The blurb looked interesting so I signed up for the Blog tour

What I liked about this book.

* The unique storyline
* The writing flowed well.
* The use and emotions surroundi
Anna
Dec 09, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Roy goes looking for a man named Victor in order to right some wrongs that his brother had caused in his youth. An attractive woman, Venetia, answers the door and Roy learns later that Venetia was once Victor. Venetia and Roy can't fight their attraction to one another, but Roy needs to disclose that it was his younger brother who was so cruel to Venetia in her youth. Venetia doesn't want to find a reason to forgive the person who caused her so much pain in her youth.

There were things I liked a
Melyssa Winchester
description

Title: His Kind of Woman
Author: Nona Raines
Genre: Contemporary Romance, LGBT
Series or Standalone: Series (Spectrum #1)
Rating: 1/2 Stars (rounded to 5* for Goodreads and Amazon)

Review

description

This book was a first for me in a couple of ways.

First, this is my first experience with author Nona Raines and secondly, this book touched on something that as of yet (other than currently attempting to write one), I’d never taken the chance on. So I suppose in a way, the author popped my proverbial cherry as it pe
Dee
Oct 27, 2015 Dee rated it really liked it
This story popped my transgender cherry, and didn't disappoint!!

It's a powerful story about having the strength to be true to yourself....

In spite of the physical pain that had accompanied her decision, in spite of friends and family she had lost, there was no doubt she'd made the right choice!

Venetia put up with years of bullying but managed to turn that into something positive by opening a club and offering a safe place for other teens that didn't fit into societies 'norm'!!

The story between R
Nela Severino
Jan 06, 2014 Nela Severino rated it really liked it
I liked the book, it treats a very difficult topic in a delicate way. It made me think about the need to stop putting people into little boxes and consider them just as individual and unique human beeings. Thank you for helping me open my mind!I think I would have liked it to explore a little more about his feelings about accepting that She used to be a man, because I think that kind of prejudices are a severe social disease...
Bella's  Blog
Dec 08, 2015 Bella's Blog rated it it was amazing
This is the first time reading anything by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed this amazing story. The story will make emotions come flooding to the surface in us all, the emotions I felt was angry, sadness , outrage, happiness,pissed off, sympathetic and forgiveness was my finally one. I find myself shaking my head lot of the time in disgust, this story has angst, along with some narrow minded bigots. Roy had some in battle's to deal with well trying to keep Vee safe for prejudice, he inadvert ...more
Rachael Orman
Dec 07, 2015 Rachael Orman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic, trans
4.5 Stars

This is a really great book to read if you haven't read a book with a trans-gendered woman in it. Venetia is a post op trans female, which means she is... all woman.

I loved the way the bullying side of things worked out. It shows just how hard bullying is on the bullied... but sometimes on the bully once they grow up and realize what a horrible thing they had done. The amount of damage that is done by bullying is so much more than so many people realize. Thankfully, Victor/Venetia used
Falling In Fall Book Blog
Feb 27, 2015 Falling In Fall Book Blog rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-read-shelf
I rated His Kind of Woman by Nona Raines FOUR LEAVES!!!

For the year of 2015 I wanted to start reading books outside of my comfort zone. A couple of things on my book bucket list is to read a gay romance and a Transgender romance book. I have to admit the number one reason I read this book was that I saw it was tagged as Transgender. I am very curious to this and I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. This is a very sweet short romance between Venetia Varrano and Roy Girard. The story is
Mary Lou Hoffman
Feb 16, 2015 Mary Lou Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, short-story
Title: HIS KIND OF WOMAN
Series: N/A
Category /Genre: M/F transgender erotic romance
Recommended for: 18+ due to sexual content
Received from: Nona Raines (in exchange for an honest review)
Grammar/editing: ungraded – book received as an unedited ARC / errors excused

This is a stand-alone, erotic, transgender romance .

I completely enjoyed this unusual love story. I would recommend it to anyone, but especially to those who need a little push to understand a GLBTQ (gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, transgender,
Jonelle Bound By Books Mccloud
Feb 09, 2015 Jonelle Bound By Books Mccloud rated it really liked it
When Roy's brother passed away suddenly, he decides to go to the person his brother tormented to no end in school and try to make amends. What he is shocked to discover is the boy known as Victor in school, is now the beautiful woman, Venetia. Startled over his attraction to her, Roy is determined to get to know her, not revealing his connection to her childhood. When the guilt of his dishonesty starts to mount after making love, he reveals his true reason of seeking her out and she's devastated ...more
Amy  Crull
Feb 20, 2015 Amy Crull rated it really liked it
So this book has a lot of issues being dealt with, bullying and finding out who you are in life. Victor was bullied during his high school years and hasn't forgotten it, He just never fit in with friends and his family. He realized shortly after school that he was supposed to be a girl. He went thru the stages, stood up to his family and after a while become Venetia. Roy doesn't know all this and shortly after his half brother dies, he wants to make amends and find Victor to make things right. H ...more
Ruty  B
Feb 09, 2015 Ruty B rated it liked it
His Kind of Woman is a fast, twisted and interesting story. It deals with taboo subjects and tries to reconize and enlight us about a reality that modern world still needs to fully acknowledge.

This story is about a woman, who used to be a man, and a man trying to do the right thing. When his brother asked Roy to contact Victor he never expected to fall for a beautiful woman.

There were a lot of things I liked about this book and some others that didn't really work for me. Let's start with the pl
Sandra Shipman ~ Two Book Pushers
His Kind of Woman is the first book I have read by Nona Raines and I was not disappointed. It was a quick and meaningful book about bullying and forgiveness along with some love.

Roy wanted to help his brother find the one person that he tortured the most in high school named Victor. Roy wasn't sure if it was the best idea but after tragedy he is determined to find him and give him the apology that should have happened years ago. What Roy wasn't expecting was Venetia. When she opened the door to
Gabby
Jan 29, 2014 Gabby rated it really liked it
Shelves: botb-2014, 2014
A really amazing love story, that I can't call unconventional, due love is love, no matter gender, faith, nationalities.

Ms. Raines was able to place me in context, due plot was well developed, with a lot of nice reality touches.

Why it was a 4, instead of 5 stars? Ending... too easy.
Bending The Bookshelf
Feb 16, 2015 Bending The Bookshelf rated it really liked it
Shelves: transsexual, romance
When I was first contacted about joining the review tour for His Kind of Woman, all I needed to know was that it was a M/F transgender erotic romance. It didn't matter that I'd never read Nona Raines before, there simply aren't nearly enough romance novels out there involving transgender women, and I wanted to not only experience it, but help spread the word.

I am delighted to say that this was a lovely read, a truly romantic tale that demonstrates a wonderful understanding of what it means to be
Becky
Aug 21, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
A short romance with a character who is trans*- something I always appreciate. But this felt more like a message put in the mouths of these characters than a story that rose naturally from the characters.
Sofía
Jan 08, 2014 Sofía rated it really liked it
I loved this story!! Although, it was a bit short. I wish the romance have had more detail and his feelings for her been a bit more thought trough... I mean, more internal battle would've been nice ;)

I love gay love stories and I've read a couple of with trans women on them, but this is the first one I read were the guy wasn't already into trans women, so that transition is what I wanted to see more of. Although, I understand the meaning of "she's just a woman now", I think there had to be some
Julia ♥Duncan♥
This was a nice quick read. I picked it up and read it straight through in about an hour. It really made me realize how little I know about trans people and GRS in particular. Definitely motivated me to go do some research of my own. As far as I could tell, everything in the book was really accurate and I really enjoyed reading about a different kind of couple than I see in most romances. My only issue was that I thought the I love yous happened a bit too fast, given the short amount of time in ...more
Jeanne Marcella
3.5 Stars

A wonderful, quick read!

If this had been novel-length and explored the characters with additional depth and complexity, it would have been a massive oh hell yeah five stars.

What attracted me to this book was that it featured a transgender female/male romance. My first encounter reading this genre. I will certainly be checking out if the author has any similar novel-length works.

Possible spoilers.
(view spoiler)
Stacy j&j southern spice Coley
Venetia. Has dealt with being bullied through school for being different. A woman trapped inside a man's body for years. Several months after the final transformation surgery to be a woman her former bully's half brother knocks on her door looking for her former self "Victor". Roy falls in love with Venetia. An helps her to overcome the years of bullying his brother did to her. It's a great story of being true to yourself an forgiving those that hurt you in the past and finding love through hear ...more
Liz Ellyn
Jan 04, 2016 Liz Ellyn rated it really liked it
Roy knocking on Venetia’s door was a great beginning to this novella.

The emotional honesty in this book is what makes this a book worth reading. The characters are open about their fears, sadness, regret, and love. None of the characters feelings are dismissed or ignored because they are difficult. I really liked how Venetia was strong enough to anticipate Roy’s hesitancy and strip down her clothes and boundaries and bare herself to him.

There was a lot packed into this short novella.
Harper Miller
This story was simple yet fantastic. My feels!!!! Omg, this was just a wonderfully written story featuring a transgender character. It was real, it was raw, it was relatable. Doesn't hurt that Nona Raines, the author, is a former librarian. Book nerds rejoice! This one goes into my favorites pile. Off to read the follow-up, Her Kind of Man. Roy and Venetia were well developed characters you couldn't help but cheer for. Perfect little story to satisfy my "aww" factor.
Maari
Dec 07, 2015 Maari rated it really liked it
Think outside the box
This was the first book that I have read by Ms. Raines and I am so glad that I finally did! It is a quick read, but enlightening.. dealing with issues that we all deal with: to be loved & accepted for who we are. I'll definitely be reading more from this author!!
I was gifted this ebook by Indiesage PR on behalf of the author for an honest review. Opinions in this review are my own.
Jo-Anna Walker
Jul 28, 2013 Jo-Anna Walker rated it it was amazing
I was sent this short story for an honest review. I always say yes to Nona when she asks me to read her stuff and after I got sent this one and was told what it was about, I was a little leary. I've never read a transgender type story before but honestly? I'm glad I read this one.

So you meet Roy and Victor who is now Venetia. Venetia is a beautiful woman and the crap she goes through...I wanted to dive into the book and punch the crap out of some of the guys that are mean to her.

Roy and Venet
Kira Shayde
Jul 01, 2014 Kira Shayde rated it it was amazing
This book made me think. I can't say that about most romance books. I learned that my knowledge of transgenders was woefully outdated and I am so glad to be brought up to speed. My only complaint about this book is that I would have liked it to be a full-length rather than a novella. I wanted to spend a bit more time with these characters.
Jessie
Feb 12, 2016 Jessie rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook
I think this book was good. The author had a lot of story thread to work with but kind of just let them drop. I think with a little more work the author could have really flushed out more connected story. I am excited to read the next story in the series.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nona Raines became hooked on romances when she first picked up "The Flame and the Flower" by Kathleen Woodiwiss (and she's not telling how long ago that was). Romances may have changed since then, but her love for a good love story has not. She's been writing off and on for years, but it was only when she joined the Central New York Romance Writers Association that she finally gained the support a ...more
More about Nona Raines...

SPECTRUM (2 books)