Start by marking “Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day by Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder” as Want to Read:
Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day by Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder

Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day by Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  116 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Take control of your symptoms--and take charge of your life

If you're dealing with bipolar disorder, you already know that it's more than a cycle of "ups" and "downs." You may also have difficulty with depression and irritability, as well as problems with weight gain, memory, and fatigue. Dealing with these day-to-day problems can sometimes seem like too much to bear. Drawi
Published January 10th 2008 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published December 20th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Break the Bipolar Cycle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Break the Bipolar Cycle

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Break the Bipolar Cycle: A Day by Day Guide to Living with Bipolar Disorder
Crimson
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kindle
As someone struggling with Bipolar, I feel the need to point out that while it was an easy read I couldn't put it down. It has the tools I need to manage my Bipolar and it took me two days to realize that while not everything in his book applies to me, most of it does. I'm glad this book is recommended to people because it is worth it.
Corydavis08
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this book to anyone that is friends with someone that is bi-polar or is bipolar themselves. It helped me understand my friend so much more and able to relate to what he is going through. Also allowed us to further discuss his disease.
Carol Stoddard
This is a useful book, although it can sound relentlessly optimistic at times. It's not a book to read once and put down, it's a book for going back to when life presents another challenge. Lots of examples, exercises, and lots of encouraging words. I recommend it.
Patty
Mar 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
Written in a very simple style that comes off as condescending at times. The print is large and the margins very wide, so there's less info there than you'd think.

The authors gloss over serious side effects of bipolar treatments and overstate efficacy, giving false hopes. They give helpful advice like if you get sexual side effects from your medications, perhaps you should just do without sex. That's a good way to keep your marriage going strong! The worksheets were far too basic for me, but co
Gregory Boyce
Jul 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
A must read for anyone with bipolar disorder, it is informative and helpful for such anyone struggling with this illness.
Robert
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
most beneficial to family & loved ones to understand / insight for the most part in layman's terms what life is like for those of us affected by this illness on a day to day basis. ...more
Bridgett
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Very useful and detailed book about Bipolar. I learned a lot and related to much the book covered.
Bennett
5/5 informative
4/5 writing style
Extremely helpful for friends, family, and people living with BSD
Stacy
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Excellent resource for anyone wanting to better understand bipolar disorder, either for themself or a loved one.
Mark Syron
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is not a book for a person at the throws of the bipolar disorders. In an episode of mania, depression and mixed state one could not grasp how to cope because of the state that one is in. With that said it is a good book for if someone during a time od euthymia (normal baseline of mood).

Working through the book I found that there are things that I can improve on and will as I catch myself in certain things like noticing my stress level is at it maxing point or understanding the difficulty of
Maggie
Absolutely brilliant book about Bipolar but not one I'd recommend as a first read for the newly diagnosed. However some where down the track have a read of this. It outlines what actually happens in the brain with bipolar, and then tackles really useful subjects including "I just want things to go back the way they were", "I just don't fee like it" (about the problems with motivation), "If I'm taking my medication why do I feel bad again?", "Just when I felt ok I got sick again", and "I thought ...more
Sebastien
Mar 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a newly diagnosed bipolar one, I'm happy to find this kind of information since they're helping to cope, understand and move on. What's more amazing in this book is that nothing is hidden even the hard time : what's even more amazing is that it's done in a non threatening way. We can prevail. We're not stained - it's just another thing that has to be taken into account.
Now I'm gonna let people around me read it so they can understand what I'm going thru and get a better feeling of it.

Loved i
Cate
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
As a management plan, I suppose this could work for some people if they had the energy and organization to track and graph much of their external factors and personal responses. I question how many people could actually make use of such tool when in crisis.
However, as a guide to understanding the many ways this disease can affect a person and the wide range of symptoms that could be present (thereby helping loved ones understand much more about the personal realities of living with BSD), this b
Blame Bipolar
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: other patients
I really liked this book because it talked about how those diagnosed with bipolar disorder face information processing problems that affect them at work and school. I've read 3-4 books and countless articles on bipolar disorder, and I felt like this book offerend a unique perspective. There are also some worksheets at the end of each chapter.

I bought this as an eBook (so I could read it in public without getting judgemental looks) but I recommend getting the hard copy in order to use the workshe
Meg
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book provides the explanation and a way for people suffering from bi polar to get out from under the burden and stigma of this devastating illness providing that they acknowledge that they have the illness.
The charts and the explanations make it very easy.
The book also provides insight for the rest of us, living with those who have this brain disorder to understand and perhaps guide in the process.
Abnoos
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Easy literature, genera information and practical tips for the patients and the purpose of self help. I liked it because you can read and highlight it and give it to others. I specially recommend it because out of all the books I read about BP, it's the first one which sets realistic perspectives in the course of treatment, and more emphasis on the BP person rather than an ideal support team.
Heather
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I was curious to learn more about bipolar disorder, and this book was a good introduction. I felt like I got a good understanding of the symptoms of the disorder and the struggles that people with bipolar disorder endure. There were exercises at the end of each chapter that seemed like they would be helpful, and one chapter in particular, I thought was useful for anyone.
Faith
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book. It had wonderful graphs and information that that helped me figure my daily life. I had hard time at the end with scheduling because my day is spent at home or going to group or the library for more resources.
Dawn Wells
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea but I guess if you are an organized bipolar, who likes graphs, charts and list. It may be for you which may be a soft bipolar?
Michael Oswald

• The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
  • Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
  • Ecce Homo
  • Leaves of Grass
  • Everyday Business English (English For Work)
  • Principles of Marketing
  • The Second Sex
  • مهارات الحياة
  • In Sheep's Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People
  • A Good Woman
  • Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
  • Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life