Start by marking “Leaving Liberty” as Want to Read:

Leaving Liberty

At eighteen, Daisy McConnell left Liberty, Colorado and never looked back. The only bright spot in a childhood of neglect and loneliness was the town librarian, Marie. Now settled as a teacher in sunny Fresno, Daisy does her best to forget everything about Liberty including her drunk father, her MIA mother, and the town she hated with every beat of her heart.
Lane Bennett’
Published July 1st 2013 by Gumbo Books (first published June 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Leaving Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leaving Liberty

Lisa Crane
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Daisy McConnell returns to the hometown that was the scene of a miserable childhood, the hometown she couldn't get out of quickly enough. She returns for the funeral of Marie, town librarian and single bright spot in her memories of Liberty. On her way to the library to retrieve a quilt Marie left to her, Daisy meets Lane Bennett, extraordinarily handsome, small-town hero cop.

One thing leads to another (as it always does) and Daisy finds herself squarely opposite Lane in a battle to save the "al
Margie Cool
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
I love free books. Is there anything better than free? Well, yes, there IS! It's a free book that exceeds all your expectations. I was kind of wondering about the cover, it looked a bit more chick lit than I was used to, but I liked Carmichael's other books so I took a chance.
LOVE, LOVE, LOVVVVVEE!!!!!!! I laughed at so many places in this book! The characters really had a great self-deprecating sense of humor. Like when Daisy is thinking about her name and hating small town people naming their
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm guilty of judging this book by it's cover...in a good way! When I saw the cover of Leaving Liberty, I was immediately intrigued, even without knowing the plot. I just knew it would be my kind of book, and as it turns out, I did end up enjoying it.

I admit that it did take me a while to get fully immersed in the story...initially I was just kind of "so-so" about it, though I can't pinpoint the exact reason. However, by time the half-way mark rolled around, I found
Angela Covarrubias
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Leaving Liberty is the first book that I have read by this author, and I am glad that I found it. I was looking for something 'light' to read, and found it on Amazon.com for .99. The book description sounded good, and the main reason I chose to read is because I loved the cover! The cover says to me, "come on in and stay awhile!"

I enjoyed the story because the characters were believable and down to earth. The town of Liberty is a place I would love to live (even though it is a fictional town). I
Barbara J. Harbison
Leaving Liberty

I liked the book, I really did. It had romance, a touch of mystery/suspense and characters with a belief in God.
But....
The writer, editor, and proofreaders need to keep a closer eye on the words.
In chapter 23, in the last paragraph, it says, "He turned off the flame...." Previously in the chapter it stated that he was cooking on charcoal briquettes. How do you turn off charcoal?
In chapter 25, paragraph 7, the words "pick nick" we're used. I do believe that is picnic.
And later i
Margo
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Nice, clean little romance with interesting characters; it kept my attention and kept calling to me in the evening. I thought it was well-written, despite a couple of absurd typos. The "faith elements" were very natural and not overbearing.
Carolyn
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Season of joy last Christmas and was waiting for another of her books. I really liked this one and liked how the quilt tied everything in together. I was afraid for a bit that the dog would get hurt but the author was great about using real emotions, not breaking our hearts over hurting the dog. I read a book a few months ago and the dog died and I was so sad. So I'm glad the author made sure nobody was hurt at the end!
Jill
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really about 3.75 stars. It was a little slow moving with the miniscule details about different things. Too many teases of what may have happened and not enough of a reveal when the "big" issues were finally revealed. The ending was a little abrupt and could have used a little more detail. There was a place for much more action/adventure, but it never played out.
Pam
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was such a cute story! Just a fun, sweet read.
NancyDrew
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish it would not have ended!!!!!.....

WOW!!!!!.....after reading this,I want to live in Liberty!!!!!.....what a wonderful little town that is a treasure of a perfect small town!!!!!.....this author is really good about making you feel as if you are in the small town watching life unfold for these people that live there.....her other books do not disappoint.....hard to pick a favourite,but this one is close!!!!!.....
Kathijo Groves
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One teacher...One cop.....

She wants to save the library, but he doesn't think that it's possible. Two headstrong people with very different views, you just can't help but fall in love with them and root for them and the library! This was yet another awesome book! My only complaint is that it is a stand alone. I would love to see more from these Liberty Colorado folks! Pleeeeeeeeease?
Barbara
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy endings

Very good book. Daisy's sad childhood in Liberty caused her to vow to never return. When her dear Aunt Marie died, she returned for the funeral and things changed. You can never tell if the ending will be happy until you get to the end. A book of restoration, love and faith.
Alice
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contempary, e-book
Same cover, same story but author's name for the Kindle I read is listed a Mary Jane Hathaway.
Two of my favorite side details--quilts and library

Making the best of the situation that you find. Actually-- making better the situation.
Ogz
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was difficult getting into this story but when I did, it was really good! This book is about forgiveness and love. It's amazing how forgiveness affects us and our happiness. Love replaces every hurt and opens our eyes to what we have missed out.
Cayla
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a lovely short read. As someone who loves libraries, the plot was perfect! I like the small-town feel. The cabin, the animals, and the closeness of the community all help make a wonderful formula for a good book.

Looking forward to more good reads!
Ollie
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet story about home, forgiveness, and starting over. I recommend this easy read. It will make you laugh, cry and provide new insight on looking at your past.
Julie
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

For someone who grew up loving books and reading, this is perfect. Keep on reading and believing that it will work out.
Linda D Youmans-McDonald
Funny, sweet, honest

I love this sweet novel. It was a pleasure to read from beginning to end. Hoping that this is only my first visit to Liberty (series, please).
Becky
Sep 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary
Reviewed on my blog, Becky on Books.

A very sweet, very clean romance about forgiveness, second chances, and love. With a library. And a book quilt :)

Daisy is back in the town she grew up in--and hated--for one reason only: the funeral of her mentor and friend, Marie, the town librarian. She doesn't want to see her father, she doesn't want to catch up with her former classmates, she just wants to pay her respects, get the quilt that was left to her, and go back to her home in Fresno, California.

L
Erin H. (ITIO Book Reviews)
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
For more book reviews and giveaways, check out ITIO Book Reviews.

A huge thanks to Xpresso Book Tours and Virginia Carmichael for giving me an opportunity to read this book! I was given a free copy of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion. What a treat! :)

I saw that this was a clean romance and I jumped at the chance to read it.

Daisy is a feisty, passionate woman who is dragged back to the town in which she vowed she would never return. After her dear friend Marie, the local librarian, die
Brooke Barenfanger
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-on-blog
Daisy hates the little town of Liberty. There is only one person she loves there--Marie the librarian. But when Marie dies she comes back for the funeral. After the funeral, however, Daisy is shocked to find out that the town is closing down the library. The library is the one place where she was happy as a child. Daisy may hate Liberty but she can't let Marie's library close. She just can't. So she decides to stay for the summer, hoping she can save it before she leaves. But what about the hand ...more
Ginny  Gallagher
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Gin's Book Notes
Leaving Liberty by Virginia Carmichael is a contemporary christian romance. It's a story about forgiveness, love, and moving on from your past but I would say that the biggest theme is forgiveness.

I love stories based in small towns and when you add in the fact that the main character is trying to save the town library this should/ could have been a great read. Unfortunately it was just okay.

The story line is good. As I mentioned before the th
Angie
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think the first hint that this was going to be a great story is when Daisy made reference to an old Beverly Clearly book about Ramona Quimby. " The sidewalk seemed to stretch forever. A scene from one of her favorite childhood books popped into her head. Ramona Quimby being carried out of the muddy field by Henry Huggins, proving once more she was, indeed, a big pest. She hadn't thought of that book in years and she had to smile a little. She wished she had bright red rain boots, like Ramona, ...more
Brianne
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Leaving Liberty is a very sweet romance novel that will leave you wanting more and loving the main character Daisy McConnell. It is a heartwarming story about forgiveness, and moving on and both the main characters go through a lot of personal growth throughout the course of the novel.

Daisy McConnell is a strong willed teacher who came back to the small town of Liberty to pick up an inheritance, but once she finds out that the local library is closing down for good she vows to save it. However,
Alyssa
One of those cute, feel-good stories about a girl who's back in the town that holds no good memories for her. Daisy left the small town of Liberty years ago, but she's back to bury Marie, the town librarian, who meant a lot to Daisy. She learns that the library is closing and decides to stay for a while to see if there is something she can do to keep it up and running. In the process, she learns a lot about forgiveness and works to reconcile with her father, the town drunk. Throw in a "hot cop", ...more
Chris
Saving library

I gave this book a three star because it was slow reading for me. It was a good story I enjoyed reading it it just seem like it lagged and seem to take forever to get into the real story of it. Towards the middle and near the end it really started picking up into an enjoyable read.

Daisy and Lane became friends when she chased him down when he was yelling at some kid riding his bike and she didn't understand why he was chasing after the kid riding his bike. Lane was not sure that
JaneReads
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
A light read about a girl who is only in Liberty to help save the local library that had a huge influence on her childhood before heading back to her home. Then there is the local cop who plans on never leaving Liberty and feels the library is unable to be saved. These two clash right from the beginning and make it their goal to stay away from each other, but as life happens they end up together in various situations quite a bit, an attraction develops and both are trying to ignore it for their ...more
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
This wasn't necessarily a bad story, but it was definitely not the story I wanted to read. The author's writing style a kind that I must admit I dislike. That was why I could not like this book like I wanted to.

One thing that frustrated me is that there were so many descriptions of things that didn't need to be described at all. Like, the table in Daisy's rented house. All the descriptions started to jar me out of the story.

Also, Lane. I didn't like him; there was nothing to set him apart from
Oct 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, adult
I am a fan of Virginia Carmichael and read the first few chapters and then wanted to read the book so when it became available I was excited. I was a little disappointed about 3/4 of the way through. The characters started out well developed and I enjoyed the push pull between the two main characters, but then their emotions became not believable to me. Maybe I'm just a cynic but I find it hard to believe two people can get to "I'm going to die for you" in a short time and I felt the dialogue (a ...more
Erin Wolak
*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

This book was exactly what I needed. Something light and extremely easy to read. Something that kept my attention and had something that I myself love as much as this main character, the library.

I loved Lane, maybe it's because I have a love for officers, I don't know. I just loved him. I felt like she was a bit abrasive through most of the book (I understand why after all the crap she went through with her mom and dad and everything) but I still enjoyed her personality no
« previous 1 3 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #226 - Leaving Liberty 1 2 Jan 04, 2016 09:44AM

• Along Came a Cowboy (Pinky Promise Sisterhood, #2)
  • The Glory of Green (Green #3)
  • A Question of Destiny
  • Hearts Crossing (Woodland Church, #1)
  • Emma, Mr. Knightley, and Chili-Slaw Dogs (Jane Austen Takes the South, #2)
  • Justified (Mended Hearts, #2)
  • One Plus One Equals Trouble (Love that Counts #1)
  • For Keeps (Aggie's Inheritance, #2)
  • Deep in the Heart
  • Always Yesterday
  • Finding Hope in Savannah
  • Cicada Song
  • Juliette and the Monday ManDates (The Gustafson Girls, #1)
  • Dreaming on Daisies (Love Blossoms in Oregon, #3)
  • The Alaska Brides Collection: Five Romances Persevere in the Alaska Wilderness
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • Love Finds You in Pendleton, Oregon
  • Terri (The Women of Valley View #2)
Virginia was born near the Rocky Mountains and although she has traveled around the world, the wilds of Colorado run in her veins. A big fan of the wide open sky and all four seasons, she believes in embracing the small moments of everyday life. A home schooling mom of six young children who rarely wear shoes, those moments usually involve a lot of noise, a lot of mess, or a whole bunch of warm co ...more