Start by marking “City of Scars (The Skullborn Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of Scars (The Skullborn Trilogy, #1)

City of Scars

(The Skullborn Trilogy #1)

It’s been three decades since the Blood Queen led her legions on a brutal campaign of conquest and destruction, and the Empires are still struggling to rebuild. Now, in the distant aftermath of the war, the real battle is about to begin.

Haunted by the crimes of his past, fallen knight Azander Dane ekes out a mercenary existence as he drifts from one city to the next. His l
Published June 25th 2013 by Darker Sunset Press (first published June 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about City of Scars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about City of Scars

Patremagne
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it

City of Scars is the first volume of the Skullborn Trilogy, an all new epic fantasy adventure from the author of Blood Skies, Steven Montano.

City of Scars takes place in a world known as Malzaria. Thirty years prior to the outset of the story, the world was at war with the Blood Queen, whose sole desire was destruction. The prologue gives us a look into the Rift War, as it was later called, through the eyes of Colonel Corgan Bloodwine, an officer in the Jl
Mihir

Full review originally over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: Steven Montano has made me a fan of his with eclectic genre mixed storyline that is his debut series, the Bloodskies volumes. I’ve read all of his previous books with various degrees of enjoyment however one thing is clear; Steven Montano is a man with a plan when it comes to his plots. When he announced his new series The Skullborn trilogy, I was very excited for the books after I read all about the series setting as well as the charac
Nayan Patel
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first book that I have read from the author Steven Montano and I am quite impressed. Considering that the author "is an accountant by day and an author by night", it is definitely a laudable effort.

I came to know about this book after reading a review over at FBC by Mihir which can also be read here. The first thing I noticed when I had just delved into the story was that the world setting was quite dark. The book does a fine job of transporting the reader to the world of the protago
Troy Lefman
Another great tale from Steven. And like his other stories:
We see lots of cool stuff. Weapons. Creatures. War machines.
We see lots of battle. Black Guild. White Dragon. The Phage. Bloodspeakers. Veilwardens. Dawn Knights. Dream Witch. Blood Queen. Skullborn. Some of these are not be plural but that's up to the reader to find out.
So much action, someone has to die. It's not who you expect. Or maybe it is. Once or twice.
Secret identities. 'Nuff said.

Stuff I liked:
I like the chapters by perspective
Danielle Young
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
City of Scars is this amazing fantasy story that takes you back to a time where things were ruled by magic and wars were fought at the end of a sword. A time where you would think that things were more simple, but you would be wrong. There is a war brewing in Ebonmark and our amazing hero, Dane is right in the thick of it. Even if he doesn't realize it at first.

When Dane first enters Ebonmark he is desperate for money and desperate for work. So needless to say he doesn't exactly listen to his ow
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, epic-fantasy
City of Scars is the first book in what promises to be a highly detailed and addictive trilogy. We are transported to a world where the realm is struggling to recover from a incredibly bloody and lengthy war. Crime is easy to find and magic is outlawed. I found myself completely absorbed in the characters’ stories and dying to know more when I reached the last page.

When I read an imaginative and detailed high fantasy novel it immediately makes me want more, it’s one of the reasons I adore the ge
Penelope Bartotto
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The epic fantasy genre is making a grand resurgence into the literary world and I could not be happier to herald this novel into that category. Banners raised high as City of Scars, the first book in The Skullborn Trilogy visits The Library.
The Rift War destroyed a world, dividing the lands into straggling bands of vagabonds, alchemists ruling the underworlds, guilds battling for control, and a few good people fighting to survive in the sheer madness. The first shining example of a talented fant
Shannon Gambino
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Mr. Montano has once again blown me away with a post-apocalyptic novel filled with grit, death, and powerful imagery. City of Scars contains an underworld of organized crime run by cyborgs, cannibalistic humanoids, and chemically created werewolves. With a human army trying to trying to control the latest generation of beasts and machines in Ebonmark, they are fighting against biochemical warfare with savvy, magic, and strategic alliances.

Unlike the Blood Skies series, Mr. Montano tries his hand
Ian James
Jul 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
like most good indie works this could easily been a 5 star novel with better editing

the prose and pacing were clunky at points and later revelations could have been foreshadowed better.
Gary Blair
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Lets just say i can't wait to read the next book.
Lou
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My review will be posted soon!
Volpot
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. OK
Angie
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a trilogy, but it certainly does not leave on a massive cliffhanger. Don’t get me wrong, you still need to know what happens next, and maybe that is just me and the way that my mind works, but whatever it is, I will be buying the next two books at some point :-)
This is the first book that I have read by this author, but I found it absolutely spellbinding and captivating.
At first you find yourself trying to get used to the terminology of the whole different world. You have different soldi
Rebecca Foster
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This one is dark. I don't just mean a little dark. I mean oh-my-god-what-am-I-reading-I'm-going-to-give-myself-nightmares dark. My description doesn't make that very apparent.

But, come on.

Think about it. You all know that I'm generally more of a unicorns and fairies person, mixed with a healthy amount of aliens and cybernetics for good measure. Dark fantasy isn't exactly my strong point when it comes to descriptions. I write holiday fantasy stories, after all!

Yet I really love reading the gritt
Jk997
Jul 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall a pretty decent read, finished it in about a week. There is one thing I have to point out however, and that is that there were way to many POVs, to the point it became really frustrating at least to me. I mean I know that some of the POVs were necessary to get some important information out to the readers that they probably wouldn't be able to get with just the main characters viewpoint, but there were some non essential ones in there as well. other than that pretty good read.
Sgt Maj
Lynn Haver
Dec 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Surface
  • Rise and Fall (Blood and Tears, #1)
  • Storm Dancer
  • The Heresy Within (The Ties that Bind, #1)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Dawn of Swords (Breaking World, #1)
  • Killing Freedom
  • Imperium (Caulborn #1)
  • Unidentified Funny Objects (UFO #1)
  • Prince of Tyre (Sword of the Gods Saga, #2)
  • Pennies for the Ferryman (Dead Eye #1)
  • Blood Witch (Elemental Magic #2)
  • Apocalypstick
  • Blades of Winter (Shadowstorm, #1)
  • The Lag (The Game Master #1)
  • Tymon's Flight (Chronicles of the Tree, #1)
  • Bloodjacker: A Bellers Tale
  • The Dark Verse, Vol. 1: From the Passages of Revenants

The Skullborn Trilogy (3 books)
  • Path of Bones (The Skullborn Trilogy, #2)
  • The Black Tower (The Skullborn Trilogy, #3)