Start by marking “Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World

Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World

Here we are—the future is now. The machines have taken over. Everything is computerized. People no longer talk, they text. What number do we have to press to get a flesh and blood HUMAN?

It’s easy to feel like we’re losing our humanity when surrounded by computers, cell phones, and text messaging, but I’m here to bring you the good news. The same machines that seem to be s
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 330 pages
Published June 27th 2013 by WANA International

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World

Start your review of Rise of the Machines--Human Authors in a Digital World
John Bell
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are plenty of detailed reviews here regarding the specific merits of the book, and having looked over the reviews, I agree with most of the glowing comments that have been expressed. My review is something a bit more personal.

Simply stated, this book is the reason why I decided to publish my own book. Before reading 'Rise of the Machines', I was one of the legions of fledgling writers who still believed in the myth of traditional publishing glory, six-figure advances, and all-expenses pai
A. Marie Silver
Jul 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Where was this book a year ago? (Bangs head on table!) I spent months reading blogs and articles written by social media "experts" each providing tips on how writers should market themselves, their books and their blogs. I followed their advice but in doing so felt used, dirty and socially inappropriate. I sent direct messages on Twitter that read "Thanks for the follow. Now read my blog and "Like" my Facebook page." If it was a social media no-no I did it all because the "experts" told me too. ...more
Shawn Lealos
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-owned
Great for beginners and nice advise for pros as well

Kristen wrote a book that has a ton of great info for anyone worried about starting promoting their work through social media. I will admit that I skimmed certain sections because a lot of it was common knowledge for me.

Before anyone criticizes Kristen for that, remember that there are people who need all the basics and it is important to include in a book like this.

With that said, there was a lot here that helped me too. Some of it was somethi
Christopher Ochs
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of helpful information. A bit daunting, because there is s-o-o-o much good stuff that this book proscribes to promote yourself as an author. The book is well written, except for one thing - it's written like a novel. It should be organized like a reference book, which is what it really lends itself to.
Instead, this work gives you critical info in dribbles and drabs. I lost count of the times the book says "more on that later," forcing the reader to search for the entire description of how-t
Icy Sedgwick
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Rise of the Machines is essentially proof that the WANA Way works. I've been reading Kristen's blog for a few years now, and I've had the occasional Twitter exchange with her - so whose book about using social media as an author am I most likely to read? One by a self-professed expert I've never heard of, or someone with whom I've had actual contact?

While it's true that a lot of the content could probably be found on her blog for free, if you were willing to dig through the archives and pull it
Kindle Lover
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
While I don't doubt the author's claims that those who have followed her techniques have become successful, this book doesn't give much in the way of examples. Sure, we learn a few times that X or Y started using "WANA" techniques and their sales went from negligible to excellent, but there are no concrete studies of the techniques that were used, and how they affected the author's "platform" building efforts.

This is a real head-scratcher because a significant portion of the final section of the
Debbie Johansson
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Being a reader of Kristen Lamb's blog, I always enjoy how she weaves her research into the writing life and this book is no exception. Kristen discusses why traditional marketing doesn't sell books and how writers need to change their approach. Being a writer in the digital age, one needs to understand which publishing path is best suited to their needs as well as understanding who their readers really are. By using the WANA approach to social media (which is explained in the book), Kristen's me ...more
Tim Flanagan
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On a rare occasion you read a book that changes you life - this is one of those books! It is an eye opening look at how you should approach social media. Reading this book has opened my eyes, to what was completely invisible before, but now seems to obvious. In light of reading this book, I have changed many things about myself, my brand and how I interact with others. Following the information in this book will lead to a more productive and enjoyable author-marketing life that is more effective ...more
P.J. Lazos
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
To me, social media can be like a rubric's cube. I think I'm on the verge of cracking the code, but it's really always just out of reach. Kristen Lamb breaks it all down for me in easy to understand segments that reveal the codes of social media marketing, and grants me access to a world that was previously indecipherable. Kudos to her.
V.L. Jennings
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY WRITER!
Recommended to V.L. by: PDMI Publishing
Some books I like/ love... this book I most emphatically agree with and would rate it more than 5 stars if I could!

Just to be clear, I was only vaguely familiar with Kristen Lamb's work before I cracked open this book. I may have read a small handful of her blog posts, less then ten, that's it. I started reading this book only because my publisher and a friend of mine both suggested that I NEEDED to read it, they were right!

This book is one of the most thought provoking, funny and insightful boo
Cynthia Stacey
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Kristen Lamb is absolutely amazing. I published my first book without a clue as to what I was doing in terms of marketing and social media. My publisher told me to make a facebook author page. Ok done. My family and friends ‘liked’ my page. Now what? Get a website. Ok done. Then I found Kristen Lamb’s blog and thankfully I did. She knows everything about social media and what not to do on it. Then I read her book. Holy cow the lights come on and I have to hand-slap my forehead. Talk about doing ...more
E.K. Carmel
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Any writer who wants to publish should read this book.

No matter which road to publication you choose, it's the author's responsibility to market. But standard marketing practices don't work because a book is different from any other product. In Rise of the Machines: Human Authors in a Digital World, Kristen Lamb explains why and what you can do about it.

If you're new to Kristen Lamb and her WANA (We Are Not Alone) way to a creative writing life and career, this book will be a real eye-opener. H
Jan Newman
May 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Writers setting up online presence
I loved this book for the last several chapters and the ways it made me think about my online presence, what it projects to followers and my strategy for it. Project a positive online presence a wide audience will benefit from and enjoy.

The idea of interacting with a broad audience and not only other writers and writing professionals lurked in my subconscious, but the author's arguments brought the idea home--Yes! Why didn't I realize this sooner?

Her statistics and the basis for her advice was
Melissa
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide to social media for writers. Before reading this book, I was intimidated by the idea of platforming/branding. I'm an artist, not a saleswoman! But I was intimidated because I didn't understand. In my mind, I had to sell myself, which felt smarmy and gross. Kristen's approach to brand freed me. Instead of selling myself, I can be myself. I am enough.

Not only did this book change my negative perception of platform, it also offered practical tips for utilizing Facebook, Twitter,
Sandra Wagner-Wright
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In Rise of the Machines, Kristen Lamb distills her expertise in social media in an accessible way. Writers like to write, usually in an isolated space. Some have only recently begun composing directly on the computer. Consequently, if they want to bring their book to public attention, writers are adrift. They have to communicate directly with other people. They have to give readers a reason to pick their book. Kristen offers writers the option of following the WANA way (it's in the book). She al ...more
Stephen Campbell
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a step by step guide for building an authors platform using social media. As someone who has spent years in the technology business I felt like a had a pretty good understanding of best practices for using social media to build a brand. Ms. Lamb's book opened my eyes to several things that I could be doing better, and more importantly several things that I wasn't doing at all.

The author has taken what could very well be a dry subject and made it interesting with her engaging writing
Grace
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So worth reading! Even though this book is a few years old now, everything in it about social media, e-books, and the internet is still completely relevant and applicable. Kristen covers more than just the ins and outs of Facebook and Twitter - she discusses the overall concept of branding, and even delves into a bit of neuroscience to discuss how and why people are positively or negatively affected by words, images, or interactions.

If you're a writer - or any other creative who is wanting to gr
Colin McPhillamy
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Several times in this book Ms Lamb recommends Robert Greene's book "Mastery". Rise of the Machines: Human Authors in a Digital Age is a volume written by one who has mastered social media, or that part of it that relates to the new online environment that anyone with a message to take to the world must now engage with. The tone of the book is that of a friend who has gone before. The prose is informative, intelligent and amusing. There is much useful information including valuable tips on what t ...more
Katy
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is an informative and inspiring book, unique in its perspective among the many marketing books for writers. Ms. Lamb uses a combination of facts and personal anecdotes to help writers see how important it is to stay human and yet not be afraid of the new paradigm in publishing and marketing. As an "old school" writer this has been my biggest challenge, but Ms. Lamb has broken it down into easy steps using logic and intuition, and now it actually sounds like fun! Thanks!
Catherine Johnson
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Awesome WANA mom Kristen Lamb has done it again. This is the only book you need about Social Media. It is broken up into lots of chapters covering everything you need to know, and it is very clear how to put all the great tips into practise. All writers need this book. It is awesome! We are not alone.
Nicole
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome - and not just if you are a writer. I recommended this book to a friend that has his own business and he was so grateful to have someone explain social media to him in a way that was fun and made sense. :) Kristen is a wonderful writer and if you liked this book, you should check out her blog on WordPress.
Katie Paul
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book transformed my ideas about marketing as an independent publisher and author. Instead of dreading all the self-promotion, I am re-energised about connecting with my readers via my blog.

No longer do I have to sell myself, I just have to be myself.

Thank you Kristen for opening up my eyes.
A must read for all authors.
Jolene
Jun 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
If you are a writer you need this book. How to use the monster in our digital world and make it your ally.
TL Jeffcoat
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must read for writers wanting to get published.
Mandy White
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A valuable resource for any aspiring author. Highly recommended.
Barbara
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5*
There were great resources, ut it just took too long to get to the important information - I didn't need all the history
William Adams
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-how-to
Lamb is a well-known social media guru for writers and this book offers advice on how to establish and run your internet “author’s platform.” Everyone knows you need a “platform” if you’re going to sell e-books. But what should it look like, and more urgently, what should its content be?

Lamb answers these questions with a light and frothy style, the kind of lame personal anecdotes and manufactured humor you expect to hear in a stuffy hotel meeting room from a self-promotional speaker. Style not
Kristy
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book for any writer looking to make a career of it. Bluntly honest about the state of things, filled with practical tips, and written by someone who knows that the majority of writers are more comfortable behind a computer screen than doing traditional marketing.

Highly recommend!
Amara Luciano
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful information. Solid marketing philosophies.

I learned QUITE a bit. There are stats, cold hard facts tied into a compassionate, thorough, dynamic narrative. The way it's organized made it interesting to read.
Maria
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Learned a ton. Changing my whole trajectory.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Writing and Releasing Rapidly
  • Dear Writer, You Need to Quit
  • Release Strategies: Plan your self-publishing schedule for maximum benefit (Successful Indie Author Book 2)
  • A Stray, Astray
  • The Four Before Me
  • Summer Frost
  • Teeth (The Icefjord Saga, #1)
  • Stag's Run (Iron Breakers, #1)
  • Endurance (Iron Breakers, #2)
  • Taxes and Tardis
  • Kiss of Eon (Eon Warriors, #4)
  • Pricing Strategies: Maximize your bottom line for long-term financial health (Successful Indie Author Book 5)
  • InkBorn (InkHaven Academy, #2)
  • Three's Company
  • Four Ever
  • The Floodgates (Iron Breakers, #3)
  • InkSpelled (InkHaven Academy, #1)
  • Upside Down

News & Interviews

“These days. Most of us have the attention span of a meth-addicted squirrel.” 4 likes
“If talking about ourselves non-stop isn’t a good idea for the workplace, friendships, or dating, then why on Earth is this considered a good idea for social media? It isn’t, and this is why we’ve spent so much time exploring how society as a whole has changed. If we don’t understand our world and how we fit best within our modern culture, we’ll wear ourselves out and have no time left for writing books.” 1 likes